PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush $$$ investigation from USC days

Don Vito
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Agr8uTCIJb0ngiF6J8GsuKscvrYF?slug=ys-bush100907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This has been going on for a while but this is being called a breakthrough in the investigation of Bush. There were reportedly financial records found that link Bush and his family to $280,000 while Reggie was at USC.

The tapes could pave the way for significant penalties for USC and ultimately could lead to Bush losing the Heisman Trophy he won in 2005 when he led USC to the national championship game against Texas.

Yeah, I would say this is pretty big.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Agr8uTCIJb0ngiF6J8GsuKscvrYF?slug=ys-bush100907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This has been going on for a while but this is being called a breakthrough in the investigation of Bush. There were reportedly financial records found that link Bush and his family to $280,000 while Reggie was at USC.

Yeah, I would say this is pretty big.

i still think the Heisman should be given after the National Title, as we all saw VY being more valuble than RB. Everyone cheats, thankfully hes getting caught

TouchdownUSC
10-10-2007, 03:19 PM
The heisman is an award given for the best player that SEASON not just whatever player had 1 extremely good game. im glad the heisman isnt given after the championship game.

yourfavestoner
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
The heisman is an award given for the best player that SEASON not just whatever player had 1 extremely good game. im glad the heisman isnt given after the championship game.

Are bowl games not considered part of the season? Cause if I recall, the game figures into a team's final records. Plus, statistics recorded in bowl games count towards a player's total for that season.

T.Smith
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Eather way Vince was far and away more dominate then Reggie that year.

bearfan
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Well he has a 60million dollar contract and will still be reguarded as one of the best college runningbacks ever despite whether he loses it or not

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Eather way Vince was far and away more dominate then Reggie that year.

Are you ******* kidding me? Far and away more dominant? Did you not watch any games that year?

Reggie's rushing stats: 200 carries, 1,740 yards 8.7 ypc, 16 TD
Reggie's receiving stats: 37 catches, 478 yards, 12.9 ypc, 2 TD
Reggie's punt return stats: 18 returns, 179 yards, 9.9 ypc, 1 TD
Reggie's kick return stats: 28 returns, 493 yards, 17.6 yards per

That's 2,611 total yards and 18 TD for a guy who split time with a great power back who broke the USC and PAC-10 record for TDs. Give me a break. Think before you speak next time.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Are you ******* kidding me? Far and away more dominant? Did you not watch any games that year?

That's 2,611 total yards and 18 TD for a guy who split time with a great power back who broke the USC and PAC-10 record for TDs. Give me a break. Think before you speak next time.

yea, but im sure thats been done before, wasnt Vince like the first QB to throw for 3000 and rush for a 1000 in a season? besides if u watched the NT game u would understand that LenDale would still be a good back without RB, what would Texas be without VY? i mean i consider the Heisman as the Best player on the Best Team, which was VY on Texas

Edit-
Emmett White of Utah St. had 2628 all purpose yards in 2000
Bernard Berrian had 2591 All Purpose yards in 2001
Larry Johnson had 2655 All Purpose yards in 2002
Darren Sproles had 2735 All Purpose yards in 2003

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
yea, but im sure thats been done before, wasnt Vince like the first QB to throw for 3000 and rush for a 1000 in a season? besides if u watched the NT game u would understand that LenDale would still be a good back without RB, what would Texas be without VY? i mean i consider the Heisman as the Best player on the Best Team, which was VY on Texas

Vince played a bunch of scrub teams too though. Texas would have still been a good team without VY. They were a great team with VY. The Heisman isn't supposed to be the best player on the best team, it's supposed to be the best player, period. Anyone who watched that season, not just the NC game, and thought VY had a better season than Bush is insane.

D-Unit
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Nothing is going to happen to USC or Reggie Bush that will mean anything.

Ewing
10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/zeke/vince/vince.jpg

My entire arguement summed up in one picture.

Moses
10-10-2007, 05:29 PM

Yes, Young had a spectacular game but the Bowl game isn't relevant for Heisman voting.

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:30 PM

And if the Heisman were given after the NC, you might even have an argument. According to your logic, this guy should have won the Heisman last year.

http://www.nonbot.com/img/chris-leak.jpg

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
im not saying RB is bad, he was great in college and is considered the 24th(?) best college athlete of all time. im just saying that VY do more with his team and also became the FIRST to do something, while Bush has done things that were done before, its a lose lose conversation really, and im surprise a michigan fan is sticking up for a USC player lol

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
And if the Heisman were given after the NC, you might even have an argument. According to your logic, this guy should have won the Heisman last year.

isnt it weird how he was in a 2 QB offense and didnt get it, yet RB was in a 2 RB offense and he got it? what did chris leak not do enough for his team, i bet if they didnt lose to Auburn, he couldve been heisman[sarcasim]

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
im not saying RB is bad, he was great in college and is considered the 24th(?) best college athlete of all time. im just saying that VY do more with his team and also became the FIRST to do something, while Bush has done things that were done before, its a lose lose conversation really, and im surprise a michigan fan is sticking up for a USC player lol

It's not so much sticking up for a USC player (I don't really have a beef with them, they're good, they kicked our ass, end of story) Bush is the best college football player I have ever seen. He topped Barry Sanders' ridiculous ypc record by over a full yard. Vince also got the opportunity to put up more stats, QBs tend to do that :rolleyes: If Vince was splitting time at QB with a guy who broke a conference record for TDs, do you think his stats would have looked as good? Obviously not.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:36 PM
It's not so much sticking up for a USC player (I don't really have a beef with them, they're good, they kicked our ass, end of story) Bush is the best college football player I have ever seen. He topped Barry Sanders' ridiculous ypc record by over a full yard. Vince also got the opportunity to put up more stats, QBs tend to do that :rolleyes: If Vince was splitting time at QB with a guy who broke a conference record for TDs, do you think his stats would have looked as good? Obviously not.

who did he have blocking for him, what was his recivers, what was his defense like, the entire trojan team is considered a top 5 team of all time, im sure texas isnt, but like i said, this cant be won, so lets just say it shouldve at least been a share lol

Ewing
10-10-2007, 05:38 PM

If you actually think Chris Leak was even in the same universe as Vince Young you're on drugs. Vince became the only quarterback in the history of NCAA football to throw for 3,000 yard and rush for 1,000 yards. He destroyed the overhyped and overrated USC team that Bush played for in the National Championship game.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
If you actually think Chris Leak was even in the same universe as Vince Young you're on drugs. Vince became the only quarterback in the history of NCAA football to throw for 3,000 yard and rush for 1,000 yards. He destroyed the overhyped and overrated USC team that Bush played for in the National Championship game.

woooooow, i would say they were overhyped or overrated at all, They are one of the best teams ever, however the fact Vince rushed for 200 yards on 19 carries and passed for 250+ and was 30-40 is incredable, i cant sell USC short they were a great team, much better than Texas, which makes what Vince did so much more important, but like i said, u cant win this argument cause its in the past

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM

how bout no, try again...

the fact is, both guys were great that year, VY obviously meant more to his team, dont think so? the talent outside of him was really good, but nothing new at texas, we always have good secondaries, good wrs, good rbs, great lineman on both sides, usually homegrown and some of the best in the state, but we never had a qb that could do the things vince did, i guess you kind of forgot the things he did that year to keep our season alive....he beat tOSU with his arm, beat teams with his legs, and was the best leader UT has ever seen grace the field...

no he didnt blow reggie out of the water, but to say Texas had weak opponents, especially when reggie "sealed the deal" for the heisman vs a sub par fresno st team, is like the pot calling the kettle black...they were neck and neck, and alot of people say wait till after the bowl games, because it proves alot...obviously in this case, if the votes took place after that game the voting would of went completely different...

but its not anything to really dispute that much, i dont disagree with you, reggie had one of the best seasons ever, sucks that both guys had 2 have those type of years in the same year, and years like this there isnt a clear cut guy, but Vince proved he was the best player that year after the NC game, and proved to be WAY more valuable to his team then Bush...Bush had an average game at best during the NC, the most important game of the year, vs the best talent they had faced all year...Vince had his best game of the year, and proved had he not played out of his mind taht game, we would of had no remote chance to win, where as USC almost won either way without Bush as Lendale carried them...

didnt mean to turn this into a heisman argument, but it kind of turned into one...i doubt they take his heisman, what would they do give it to Vince? i really dont think he would even want it that way

Ewing
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
woooooow, i would say they were overhyped or overrated at all, They are one of the best teams ever, however the fact Vince rushed for 200 yards on 19 carries and passed for 250+ and was 30-40 is incredable, i cant sell USC short they were a great team, much better than Texas, which makes what Vince did so much more important, but like i said, u cant win this argument cause its in the past

If they were better than Texas then why did they lose?

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
who did he have blocking for him, what was his recivers, what was his defense like, the entire trojan team is considered a top 5 team of all time, im sure texas isnt, but like i said, this cant be won, so lets just say it shouldve at least been a share lol

Texas' line was regarded as the top in the country. Texas' defense included Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Frank Okam. Tarell Brown, Tim Crowder, Michael Huff (who stonewalled LenDale White on 4th and 2 to get UT the ball back). VY had an exceptional TE in David Thomas as well as Selvin Young, Ramonce Taylor and Jamaal Charles at RB. The cupboard wasn't exactly as bare as some would have you believe. Texas had the #1 offense in the country with 50.2 ppg, but yeah, without VY, they'd be nothing :rolleyes:

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 05:43 PM
ugh i hate when they do that, and Sniper did i ever say Texas was bad? holy crap i mean to get to the NT u have to be good, im sayin they were not suppost to win that game and the talent was consider to be in USC favor, dont be sayin that i think Texas was Hawaii now

Sniper
10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

You showed a picture of VY holding the crystal ball saying "This sums up my argument", so you made it seem as if the Heisman criteria was the QB on the national champs. Overhyped and overrated? You'd think they would have lost by 50 the way you talk about them. The Trojans were exceptional that year, they lost. OMGZ OVERRATED LOLZ THEY SUCKKKKKKKKKKK

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Texas' line was regarded as the top in the country. Texas' defense included Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Frank Okam. Tarell Brown, Tim Crowder, Michael Huff (who stonewalled LenDale White on 4th and 2 to get UT the ball back). VY had an exceptional TE in David Thomas as well as Selvin Young, Ramonce Taylor and Jamaal Charles at RB. The cupboard wasn't exactly as bare as some would have you believe. Texas had the #1 offense in the country with 50.2 ppg, but yeah, without VY, they'd be nothing :rolleyes:

I love how you point out all that talent, do you know what our roster looked like when we had chris simms?

Roderick Babers
Cedric Benson
Derrick Dockery
Cedric Griffin
Michael Huff
Derrick Johnson
BJ Johnson
Roy Williams
Cory Redding
Bo Scaife
Jonathan Scott
Marcus Tubbs
Nathan Vasher

and i could go even deeper if i listed all the talent he had during his starting tenure...so lets not act like Texas just popped up with talent one year and we were mediocre years before, we were mediocre at qb in years past, Vince young was the difference, to act like we won because of talent and we would of been in that game with any other qb is ridiculous, but i dont expect more from you because you obviously dont know much about the history of Texas to make comments like that...

Sniper
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I love how you point out all that talent, do you know what our roster looked like when we had chris simms?

Roderick Babers
Cedric Benson
Derrick Dockery
Cedric Griffin
Michael Huff
Derrick Johnson
BJ Johnson
Roy Williams
Cory Redding
Bo Scaife
Jonathan Scott
Marcus Tubbs
Nathan Vasher

and i could go even deeper if i listed all the talent he had during his starting tenure...so lets not act like Texas just popped up with talent one year and we were mediocre years before, we were mediocre at qb in years past, Vince young was the difference, to act like we won because of talent and we would of been in that game with any other qb is ridiculous, but i dont expect more from you because you obviously dont know much about the history of Texas to make comments like that...

Yeah, I do know history. I never said Texas just popped up with talent one year and magically won the title. They had an excellent team and VY put them over the edge. I wasn't the one who made it seem like USC was All-God and it was poor little ol Texas scrapping away. Fact is, Texas had more than just VY, like it or not. Did Young have the greatest individual performance I've ever seen? Yes, I think so. But without guys like Michael Huff stuffing LenDale White on 4th and 2, does UT win a NC? Nope. David Thomas had something like 10 catches that game didn't he?

soybean
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
didnt mean to turn this into a heisman argument, but it kind of turned into one...i doubt they take his heisman, what would they do give it to Vince? i really dont think he would even want it that way

obviously you didn't watch 60 minutes.

Javzz
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Vince played a bunch of scrub teams too though. Texas would have still been a good team without VY. They were a great team with VY. The Heisman isn't supposed to be the best player on the best team, it's supposed to be the best player, period. Anyone who watched that season, not just the NC game, and thought VY had a better season than Bush is insane.

I think VY had the better season. Clearly, because my opinion differs from yours, I am insane. Gotcha.

USC would have been a good team without Reggie as well..

Sniper
10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I think VY had the better season. Clearly, because my opinion differs from yours, I am insane. Gotcha.

USC would have been a good team without Reggie as well..

Without the Rose Bowl game, you seriously think Vince had a better year?

TouchdownUSC
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
i can understand why some would say vince should won the heisman but when its all said and done i think the award went to the right player. reggie was just such a weapon.

Green Bay Scat
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
LenDale shouldve won the Heisman

LonghornsLegend
10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I do know history. I never said Texas just popped up with talent one year and magically won the title. They had an excellent team and VY put them over the edge. I wasn't the one who made it seem like USC was All-God and it was poor little ol Texas scrapping away. Fact is, Texas had more than just VY, like it or not. Did Young have the greatest individual performance I've ever seen? Yes, I think so. But without guys like Michael Huff stuffing LenDale White on 4th and 2, does UT win a NC? Nope. David Thomas had something like 10 catches that game didn't he?

yea that could be argued and i see your point, he did need talent around him, but my point was that we had that type of talent years and years before, talent that was good enough to win a NC, we just never had a leader or half of the qb Vince was to take us there...if chris simms wasnt a piece of trash and didnt fold like a lawn chair, we would of at least went to one NC during his tenure, because an argument could of been made that some of those teams he led were either more talented then the NC team, and one of the most talented teams in the nation, same thing happening this year...Colt sucks, he's only good with perfect pressure, and he folds under pressure...Although it cant be argued without guys like Huff, Griffin, Thomas, we sure as hell have alot tougher time...Although Finley is/will be better then Thomas, and we will have other players who step up but we will never come close to a NC until we find a qb who puts us over the top

obviously you didn't watch 60 minutes.

actually i did, I believe he felt he should have won, and he should of gotten the award over Bush, and it still bothers him to this day...But I dont think it would necessarily make him happier if they handed it to him because of a money scandal...he would still feel like he didnt earn it the way that he should of...but im not Vince Young I could be wrong, I just feel it still bothers him he never won it, doesnt mean if someoen handed it over to him because of a scandal it would make his life complete

Javzz
10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Without the Rose Bowl game, you seriously think Vince had a better year?

Yes, sure do.

marks01234
10-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes, sure do.

I do too.

And we should include the Rose Bowl. After all, it was the MOST important game of each players' season. The fact that Reggie Bush barely showed up for the biggest game of his season, tells me all I need to know about him getting the Heisman (now granted it isn't as bad as Jason White should be forced to mail his heisman in a parcel to Larry Fitzgerald or Philip Rivers).

Both players had great supporting cast. Both teams played some questionable competition. But taking the cake for me was the fact that Bush's backup was every bit as productive as he was and got a lot of crucial carries in big games. Bush was off the field for several very important snaps against UT. Could you imagine Texas taking Vince Young out of the game for one snap.

Whether you vote for the Hiesman as the best player in the nation, the most valuable to his team or the best skill position player - I think Vince Young deserved the award.

BTW, Barry Sanders' numbers were so amazing because everybody tried everything to stop him. If you were to gang up on the run game against Bush, you'd have a first round QB throwing to a second round WR, a third round TE and a third round TE.

Sniper
10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I do too.

And we should include the Rose Bowl. After all, it was the MOST important game of each players' season. The fact that Reggie Bush barely showed up for the biggest game of his season, tells me all I need to know about him getting the Heisman

Um, Reggie had 177 total yards and a touchdown. How exactly is that barely showing up?

soybean
10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
I do too.

And we should include the Rose Bowl. After all, it was the MOST important game of each players' season.

well what's the point of having a rose bowl mvp then?

Don Vito
10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
well what's the point of having a rose bowl mvp then?

That would be for just the Rose Bowl, the Heisman is for the whole season. Since bowls count for your season record and season stats I believe they should count for Heisman voting as well.

soybean
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
That would be for just the Rose Bowl, the Heisman is for the whole season. Since bowls count for your season record and season stats I believe they should count for Heisman voting as well.

well then the same should go for the mvp in the nfl. because if they handed it out after the superbowl. LT wouldn't have got the award but peyton would have. would that have been fair?

EDIT: same thing with troy smith. If the award was given out after the bowls, then D-mac would have gotten it over troy smith. Is that fair? not really.

Don Vito
10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
well then the same should go for the mvp in the nfl. because if they handed it out after the superbowl. LT wouldn't have got the award but peyton would have. would that have been fair?

EDIT: same thing with troy smith. If the award was given out after the bowls, then D-mac would have gotten it over troy smith. Is that fair? not really.

Well in the NFL your post season stats and record are not added to your regular season stats/record. If you rush for 3 yards the enitre 2007 season then 400 in the post season, someone will look upp your 2007 stats and see 3 rushing yards. Thats what makes the NFL and NCAA different. And LT probably still would have won it anyways when you see how he played in all of the games he played.

If Troy Smith played poor in the national championship game and McFadden had a great bowl game, then all of that would (and should) be taken into consideration for who wins the Heisman.

Its all a matter of opinion just like the BCS versus a playoff system.

Iamcanadian
10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
What a wasted argument. They voted and Bush won it, end of story. Just a tough year to win it compared to this year, tough luck for VY!!

Clayton89
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
not tryin to make an excuse but i clearly rememberr at least 5 games where Vince didnt even set foot on the field the second half that year so one has to take into account the kind of numbers he could have put up if his team had to compete in the second half like alot of the trojan games that year