PDA

View Full Version : 10/12 Mock Draft Update

Scott Wright
10-12-2007, 05:55 AM
As promised I just made the new mock draft update live and I am a lot happier with this version than I was the last.

Feel free to discuss it here and as always constructive criticism is not only welcome but encouraged. Make sure you give reasons and explainations behind you opinions though!

You can find the new mock via the main page and as always please don't direct link in this thread.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

Note -If you don't see "October 12, 2007" at the top you may need to refresh your browser or clear your cache!

Jakey
10-12-2007, 06:17 AM
I agree that Mike tomlin would love to add a playmaking corner, but i think right now O-Line is a bigger need for us(steelers). With Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu's contracts comming to an end, i cant see us resigning all of them. Therefore were going to missing at least one starter, and allot of depth. I dont get to see much colledge football here in the UK, so i cant really say if your wrong or not. Is O-Line not as much as a problem as i think, or is there just no-one worth drafting at that point in round one (picks 25-32). Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

NIN1984
10-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Is Cherilus a good fit for the zone blocking scheme? I don't know much about him.

DraftMichaelHuff
10-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree that Mike tomlin would love to add a playmaking corner, but i think right now O-Line is a bigger need for us(steelers). With Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu's contracts comming to an end, i cant see us resigning all of them. Therefore were going to missing at least one starter, and allot of depth. I dont get to see much colledge football here in the UK, so i cant really say if your wrong or not. Is O-Line not as much as a problem as i think, or is there just no-one worth drafting at that point in round one (picks 25-32). Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Does Max Starks start for you guys? On the depth chart he is listed as a backup, i think. Is that the case? If so what's his main problem? Could he be a guy similiar to Leonard Davis who could be better if moved inside to OG if signed by another team. I ask because The falcons need to get bigger up front.

As of now the Brohm pick to the Falcons seems like the right choice fit-wise, however Bobby passed on Okoye last year so i dont think, come draft day, he will have a problem passing on him for Matt Ryan or Andre Woodson, who both, in my opinion, will wind up more highley rated. This is all provided the Falcons chose to go the QB route.

So scott, a QB is ok in the first but then we need a Left Tackle in the 2nd, Joey Harrington is way way better than our Left Tackle from now on, Renardo Forster UDFA out of Louisville.
2a) Barry Richardson
2b) Frank Okam

Jakey
10-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Does Max Starks start for you guys? On the depth chart he is listed as a backup, i think. Is that the case? If so what's his main problem? Could he be a guy similiar to Leonard Davis who could be better if moved inside to OG if signed by another team. I ask because The falcons need to get bigger up front.

Yeah he's a backup this season, he's a great run blocker but his feet are too slow against speed rushers. In the offseason he looked great but in the preseason he got outplayed, and lost his job. I'm not sure if he'd be any good at guard because he played LT in college and he played RT for us. I do think he's a starting caliber RT, but he's just a bit inconsistent. Last year he dominated Julius Peppers, but gave up 3 sacks to Derrick Burgess. He can be inconsistent but he wouldnt be a bad pickup for the falcons, kepp your eye on him.

Xiomera
10-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I like the Lions pick Scott, but did you have to be cliche and make that last little comment about Millen taking a WR?

I see that in every mock by everybody.

Scott Wright
10-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I like the Lions pick Scott, but did you have to be cliche and make that last little comment about Millen taking a WR?

I see that in every mock by everybody.

Because I was doing the same thing last year and Millen did it. Again!

I don't think it's any more crazy this year than last.

RyanLeaf#1
10-12-2007, 07:22 AM
LOL at Colt Brennan.

MaddHatter
10-12-2007, 07:23 AM
No change in Dallas' 1a pick of McFadden - I think it's a pipe dream, but if it happens I'll be smiling ear to ear.

Dallas' 1b pick is a solid pick, though I don't know much about the guy.

My biggest suprise is seeing Colt Brennan in the 1st round

Caddy
10-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Can't complain too much with Sed Ellis in the 1st. He certainly would help us pressure the QB which would make our defense even better.

BroadwayJoe10
10-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I like the idea of getting a big DE for the jets 3-4, but i keep hearing his playing weight is more in the 260-270 range. Is he going to be large enough to play in the 3-4? Becuase, its not like we already have an undersized player playing out of position on our line...oh wait we do hah

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Not trying to be a knit pick here, but there's a few grammatical errors throughout the whole thing.

Good Giants pick.

One other thing, David Garrard has played very well this year. He hasn't thrown an interception in four games and is doing everything the team asks him to. Colt Brennan is not a worthy pick in my eyes. They need offensive line help, a DE, and depth in the secondary over a QB.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Funny how football works, i still remember mockdrafts having us, as a top 5 or top 10 pick. Still could happen, but from top 5 or 10 pick to the 20s again is a good sight to see.

Bearsfan123
10-12-2007, 08:59 AM
good Bears pick, Im glad that the Bears get a good QB prospect.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I dont really like our pick to much but I cant disagree with it.Whyd you choose Cherilus over Baker.especially since both LT and RT can be upgraded.I thought Baker would be a good LT in the NFL.Plus Kiffin coached him.

Ewing
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
If Brennan really gets picked by the Jags I can't wait for Bulluck to terrorize him on Sunday's.

foozball
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
nice texans pick

NIN1984
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I dont really like our pick to much but I cant disagree with it.Whyd you choose Cherilus over Baker.especially since both LT and RT can be upgraded.I thought Baker would be a good LT in the NFL.Plus Kiffin coached him.

That is what I was thinking, from what I understand Gosder Cherilus is a huge physical O-linemen at 67 320 he would fit perfect with the Eagles. Now for the Raiders Sam Baker would be perfect for our zone-blocking scheme. If Raiders do go O-line, I have to believe it would be Sam Baker.

princefielder28
10-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Slaton would certainly be an upgrade at the running back position, but given the age of Al Harris and Charles Woodson the Packers really need to invest in a young CB that will eventually take over for one of them. Jarrett Bush, Will Blackmon (injury prone big time), and Tramon Williams are nowhere near starting caliber in the NFL. I would probably prefer they take Antione Cason, but if the season takes a turn for the worst I would love to see Malcolm Jenkins in a Packers uniform.

Young Legend
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
bad raider pick..

You said that he would be a huge upgrade over Cornell Green..so that raiders are gonna draft a RT in the first round..when LT is there bigger need..

robert_in_bigd
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Cowboys mock is perfect. Could not imagine a happier day in Valley Ranch.

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
A decent pick for the Giants, although I'm not sure if Highsmith warrants that high a pick.

DeathbyStat
10-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Cason over Justin King for the steelers this breaks my heart

Scott Wright
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
bad raider pick..

You said that he would be a huge upgrade over Cornell Green..so that raiders are gonna draft a RT in the first round..when LT is there bigger need..

Barry Sims isn't a stud but the team likes him and they just drafted a left tackle in Mario Henderson in the 3rd round this year. Right tackle is definitely more of a need.

HoopsDemon12
10-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I like the bills pick... i just dont think we are teh second worst team in all of football thats all... but hey llots can change over teh course of the season.

Mr. Stiller
10-12-2007, 11:16 AM

I am upset because I have yet to see the Steelers try him at RG.

I think it's the same thing. Big mauling Run blocker who suffers from occasional gaffes because he doesn't have outside pass rusher mirror ability. He can't take on the speed rushers. If you have a bull rusher, he'll stop them flat in the tracks .. I mean, the guy shutout Julius Peppers last year, but gave up 3 sacks to Derrick Burgess.

I wish they'd move him to RG. He's not fast as you'd like out of a guard, but he gets to the second level and he is a road grader type. He's a backup at LT/RT. I'm still trying to find any way to compel the Steelers to give him some opportunities at RG and then re-sign him long term. He's got a better RG skill-set than Simmons.

I think we need a LT and by draft time I think Chris Williams of Vanderbilt will be a first rounder (Though late). I'll take Chris Williams over Cason. Or even as a Corner, I think Tomlin would probably lean Mike Jenkins over Antoine Cason.

I find it funny though. If we do go full-fledged cover-2... Which most people presume. Why would we use our first on a corner. Cover2 stresses using zones and for that you don't need a high pick on corner.

villagewarrior
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I can't complain about the Chiefs taking Woodson, although with the way they feel about Croyle I think they would (and probably should) opt for a big offensive lineman like Cherilus or Baker.

Hines
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
id take smith and jenkins and king over cason..even though i like cason a lot

bearsfan_51
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Just a few thoughts....

1) Broncos at 17?!? I know that the way you do your order is very fluid, but I very suprised if the Broncos are a winning team this year, even in the AFC West. They look terrible this year.

2) At this point I very much doubt Sedrick Ellis falls to 19. Maybe I'm higher on him than most, but he's clearly the #2 DT in a draft of teams that need intrerior help. I can't see him falling past 12-13.

3) If the Vikings pass on Woodson and Ryan there will be a riot in Minneapolis that day and Childress will be murdered. I mean...if you think they'll be picking at #7 then that means they win 5-6 games, and Childress will either have to swallow his pride and pick a QB or he'll be fired.

The rest looks very good. Nice job.

Flyboy
10-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Kenny Phillips. I can dig it.

mqtirishfan
10-12-2007, 01:57 PM
*sigh* The order once again has two AFC teams in the Super bowl. Big pet peeve of mine on these mocks.

Trojans14
10-12-2007, 02:01 PM
As a Dallas fan, I don't think you could ask for much more than drafting the best player in the 6 hole, and then landing a solid athlete like King at the back end of the first round.

Too good to be true!

Scott Wright
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
*sigh* The order once again has two AFC teams in the Super bowl. Big pet peeve of mine on these mocks.

I just use a set of power rankings for the order...

As for the Vikings, I definitely agree that they need a quarterback but as long as Childress is there they aren't going to take one in the first round. He has staked his future and reputation on Jackson and isn't going to admit he was wrong. If he is fired all bets are off though.

Ewing
10-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Why would the Jaguars be higher than the Titans in any power rankings? The Titans beat the Jags. It would be like if the loser of the Dallas/New England game is ahead of the winner next week.

Trojans14
10-12-2007, 02:23 PM
As for the Vikings, I definitely agree that they need a quarterback but as long as Childress is there they aren't going to take one in the first round. He has staked his future and reputation on Jackson and isn't going to admit he was wrong. If he is fired all bets are off though.

That seems like a terrible idea at this point.

You shouldn't compound a mistake, by making another one just because you don't want to admit the first transgression.

schmiddog
10-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this has been addresses yet or not...

Scott-

You say Doucet isn't as big or strong as Bowe and not as fast as Craig Davis. I think the latter if false. If I recall correctly, Davis was in the low 4.4 range. Eyeballing Doucet, it seems like he's definitely a sub 4.4 guy....IMO, Doucet is the best prospect of the three (Bowe,Davis, Doucet) and is a top 10 talent....he's got serious wheels, excellent quick-twitch athleticism and cutting ability, good hands, and is very dangerous after the catch.

Is it the injury he's sustained this season that dropped him down to 31? Or do you not see him as a top 15 or so talent, regardless of the injury?

thule
10-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I'll just throw you my random thoughts.

Jake Long first overall....IK he is the top senior tackle...but top 5 looks pressing at this point.

Kenny Phillips in the top 5 is a slight reach...although the Saints could use him. With bullocks still on the team it would be more likely to see them go another direction...giving the lack of talent here the pick makes sense. Keith Rivers might have the best shot of any LB to crack the top 10.

Cherilus over Baker...I understand why it happened that way but no way Cherilus is being looked at as a top 20 pick right now. I can't even see him getting projected there. Now although RT is a need....it's hard to believe that they would reach for need. Atleast give them someone who is going to run a fast 40 time :P

Okam to SD doesn't seem likely. Sure SD doesn't have a lot of needs. But to draft a backup for one of the best NT's in the game sure seems like a waste of a first round pick.

Highsmith in the first round :O I just don't see it...he would have to have a great offseason showing to warrant this imo.

Sweed in the first round just won't happen. I look at it like the Jarrett situation...no matter how much the pick makes sense 40 times kill draft stocks. And while Sweed does a lot of things good....teams are going to get scared off by how slow he is in and out of his breaks.

The king to dallas pick makes sense. But does King have the size that Wade likes to see in his corners? I've heard numbers all over the board from 6'1 to 5'9. I just don't think he has a shot at dallas if he doesn't measure up to the numbers. If he runs what I've heard I think he has a chance to jump Jenkins who would really make a lot of sense at this pick. With the rumors of Talib running a low 4.4 that could really put him into the first round.

M.O.T.H.
10-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I'll just throw you my random thoughts.

Jake Long first overall....IK he is the top senior tackle...but top 5 looks pressing at this point.

Kenny Phillips in the top 5 is a slight reach...although the Saints could use him. With bullocks still on the team it would be more likely to see them go another direction...giving the lack of talent here the pick makes sense. Keith Rivers might have the best shot of any LB to crack the top 10.

Cherilus over Baker...I understand why it happened that way but no way Cherilus is being looked at as a top 20 pick right now. I can't even see him getting projected there. Now although RT is a need....it's hard to believe that they would reach for need. Atleast give them someone who is going to run a fast 40 time :P

Okam to SD doesn't seem likely. Sure SD doesn't have a lot of needs. But to draft a backup for one of the best NT's in the game sure seems like a waste of a first round pick.

Highsmith in the first round :O I just don't see it...he would have to have a great offseason showing to warrant this imo.

Sweed in the first round just won't happen. I look at it like the Jarrett situation...no matter how much the pick makes sense 40 times kill draft stocks. And while Sweed does a lot of things good....teams are going to get scared off by how slow he is in and out of his breaks.

The king to dallas pick makes sense. But does King have the size that Wade likes to see in his corners? I've heard numbers all over the board from 6'1 to 5'9. I just don't think he has a shot at dallas if he doesn't measure up to the numbers. If he runs what I've heard I think he has a chance to jump Jenkins who would really make a lot of sense at this pick. With the rumors of Talib running a low 4.4 that could really put him into the first round.

Draft would be perfect for us imo, if we grabbed Mike Jenkins w/ that second pick. Hell, I would trade up to get him, if this is how it unfolded. I love the guy.

scottyboy
10-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I really like the Highsmith. He'd be an upgrade over Mitchell, especially if you say he's an upgrade over Mitchell. Him or Cason would be fine picks there. Cason and Ross as a future CB duo would be pretty sweet...

Vikes99ej
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
DeSean Jackson over Andre Woodson makes me frown :(

kmartin575
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I very seriously doubt the Chiefs take a QB in the first round. What's the point if that QB can't be protected? It's not like they are going to be switching to a ZBS scheme to fix our problems so offensive line (tackle to be specific) is our biggest need. If we took a QB in round 1 that would push back tackle to round 2 and then cornerback (which is a big need) or any other need to round 3. The Chiefs have not given up on Croyle at all and he should be given a chance to play very soon.

Woodson will be a good QB IMO but I think recent history shows a good QB doesn't have to be taken in the first round.

xooberon
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Why would the Jaguars be higher than the Titans in any power rankings? The Titans beat the Jags. It would be like if the loser of the Dallas/New England game is ahead of the winner next week.

no it wouldn't, the jags lost in week 1 to the titans largely because of a total capitulation of their run D. they are proving game by game that was an anomaly rather than the norm. now look at both team's recent games, jags shut down cheifs, titans struggle past atlanta. now do you see why the titans are below the jags?

Geo
10-12-2007, 04:15 PM
It may not necessarily require their first round pick, but I definitely think the Chiefs need to invest one if not two Day One picks on the offensive line. They need to get back to where they were a few years ago, where their stud line set-up one of the most potent offenses in all of football. Especially when they don't have a quarterback who can made their offensive line or the team in general better.

Give Larry Johnson a great offensive line and he'll go back to delivering 1700-plus yards on the ground and 15-18 touchdowns. If coach Herm Edwards wants to run the ball and play good defense, he needs a much better offensive line to do it well.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Barry Sims isn't a stud but the team likes him and they just drafted a left tackle in Mario Henderson in the 3rd round this year. Right tackle is definitely more of a need.

Keep in mind that even the coaches feel that Henderson isn't trying hard enough and that he is backup in name only. There's no way they'd let him touch the field right now. If a legit LT prospect like Cherilus (or, more likely in my opinion, Clady) is facing them and there isn't a defensive lineman they like more, I don't think Sims or Henderson would keep them from making that move.

Cornell Green is playing just fine at the moment, and I think the team is vastly more optimistic about Paul McQuistan's ability to play RT on the field right now than Henderson's ability to play LT. Of course, this is just speculation, but if the Raiders go for an offensive lineman in round 1, I can almost guarantee that it'll be for the long term answer at LT.

Considering that I like Cherilus at LT, I can't criticize the pick, even I think that a player like Clady might be more likely for Cable's blocking scheme.

A few more questions this mock caused me to ask:

- Do you really get the sense that the Petrino/Brohm bond is so close that they would take him with a top 5 pick?

- How much stock do you place in the murmurs that Chris Long is somewhere in the 260 range, pretty much making him a non-option for 3-4 teams (at least top 10 3-4 teams)?

- Do you really think Okam, even with all that ability, carries a first round grade right now? I'm not sure I buy the talk of him being a better fit on the offensive line, but do the Chargers really try and add something (even if that something is more enticing than Okam) to their defensive line when the most obvious upgrade needed is in their secondary?

Other than those few nitpicks this is the best mock I've read from you so far this year Scott. Nice work.

Vikes99ej
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Agree about the Vikings. Although, I'm assuming (hoping) he's gone after this year, and that the new coach will want his own QB of the future.

SaintsMan
10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Nooo, we just missed out on Glenn Dorsey.

Josh Bullocks is horrible, the Saints have a huge hole at FS.

sweetd20
10-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Not really it just omits New England from the scenario. It doesn't say that New England is #32 it just says at the bottom they had to forfeit their pick.

Crow
10-12-2007, 05:59 PM
But at 11th overall? That's quite a stretch.

Also, it's yet TBD whether or not Henderson can play LT.

Seems to me the more glaring needs across the defensive line would have taken precedence here, especially considering the talent available.

D-Unit
10-12-2007, 06:54 PM
While I would love for it to happen for Colt, I still don't see him being picked in Round 1. Jacksonville does have a thing for drafting Hawaii players, so you never know...

Posters on this board severely overrated Andre Woodson, imo. I don't think he's worth a top 20 pick.

ironman4579
10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
So Scott, I assume with Highsmith in the first round, it would mean that your OLB ranking have changed, since in the rankings he's behind Wheeler, Adibi and Crable, yet in the mock he's the 3rd(or 4th, if you consider Groves an OLB) OLB taken, ahead of all three. Also in the top 100 overall, Highsmith is the #50 senior, Adibi is #43, Crable is 40, and Wheeler is 20. Has Highsmith really done that much more this year to make that big of a jump over all three? Crable and Wheeler have had very productive senior seasons so far, with Crable second in the nation in TFL's. I admit I haven't seen much of Highsmith this season, but it just seems like a huge jump. But I guess my real question is when will there be a ranking update? :P

soybean
10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
While I would love for it to happen for Colt, I still don't see him being picked in Round 1. Jacksonville does have a thing for drafting Hawaii players, so you never know...

Posters on this board severely overrated Andre Woodson, imo. I don't think he's worth a top 20 pick.

i guess we'll see this weekend what he's really made of.

Saints-Tigers
10-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Scott, you seem to be really high on Jake Long compared to most of us, I would have a hard time taking him over Dorsey, Campbell if I am Miami....

I'm not sure I even have him top 5 if I make a big board right now.

Glad to see Highsmith getting some love.

If this season continues to be a disaster, I want none other than Glen Dorsey in black and Gold

jayceheathman
10-12-2007, 09:41 PM
The Texans have been passing up on a LT for years so I think it would be tough to pass up on Jonathan Stewart if he was there. Ahman Green is getting up there in age and has been injured all year, Ron Dayne hasnt been Heisman material, Wali Lundy is a 6th round pick. The Texans dont have a running game at all so what are their odds of passing up on a LT for a RB?

Dolfan2788
10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I know you obviously have your reasons and thoughts on Miami taking Long but I would have thought that with an update and changes in Miami's team strengths the pick would have changed.

The O-line is playing well and Vernon Carey at left tackle has been the best player so drafting a tackle wouldn't be the best move at this point in time especially considering that we have imo the worst run defense in the league. Dorsey or Campbell are no-brainers imo for who the Dolphins would take...

D-Unit
10-13-2007, 05:01 AM
i guess we'll see this weekend what he's really made of.
I see Woodson as a poor man's Jason Campbell.

scottyboy
10-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Scott, what safeties could surprise us and become a 1st-2nd rounder? I feel Greene will stay with this season being a disappointment thus far, so excluding him. The Giants need a ball hawking FS, and i was wondering who in the 1st-2nd range fits that bill.

Scott Wright
10-13-2007, 06:41 AM
I'll try to respond to a bunch of posts at once here:

* You say Doucet isn't as big or strong as Bowe and not as fast as Craig Davis. I think the latter if false. If I recall correctly, Davis was in the low 4.4 range. Eyeballing Doucet, it seems like he's definitely a sub 4.4 guy....IMO, Doucet is the best prospect of the three (Bowe,Davis, Doucet) and is a top 10 talent....he's got serious wheels, excellent quick-twitch athleticism and cutting ability, good hands, and is very dangerous after the catch.

Early Doucet is being projected as a mid-4.5 guy right now. Obviously guys can surprise us (Jason Hill) but at this point nobody feels he is as fast or faster than Buster Davis was.

* Cherilus over Baker...I understand why it happened that way but no way Cherilus is being looked at as a top 20 pick right now. I can't even see him getting projected there. Now although RT is a need....it's hard to believe that they would reach for need. Atl east give them someone who is going to run a fast 40 time.

Cherilus is a legitimate Top 20 pick. In fact, I think there is a lot more debate as to whether Sam Baker is an early first rounder than there is Gosder.

* Highsmith in the first round :O I just don't see it...he would have to have a great offseason showing to warrant this imo.

I personally agree that Highsmith isn't worth a first rounder but that's what I am hearing. His stock is rising and he should test out well in workouts.

* Sweed in the first round just won't happen. I look at it like the Jarrett situation...no matter how much the pick makes sense 40 times kill draft stocks. And while Sweed does a lot of things good....teams are going to get scared off by how slow he is in and out of his breaks.

I feel pretty confident that Sweed will be a first round pick. He is not a 4.6+ guy like Jarrett was and some think he's going to run a 4.45. Plus he is a real hard worker.

* Do you really get the sense that the Petrino/Brohm bond is so close that they would take him with a top 5 pick?

Yes. Heck, he even brought back Chris Redman!

* How much stock do you place in the murmurs that Chris Long is somewhere in the 260 range, pretty much making him a non-option for 3-4 teams (at least top 10 3-4 teams)?

He personally told me he is 280 so I guess I believe him.

* Do you really think Okam, even with all that ability, carries a first round grade right now? I'm not sure I buy the talk of him being a better fit on the offensive line, but do the Chargers really try and add something (even if that something is more enticing than Okam) to their defensive line when the most obvious upgrade needed is in their secondary?

Who do the Chargers take in the secondary? They have Jammer, a former #5 overall pick. Cromartie was a mid-1st rounder. They just drafted Paul Oliver. They gave up a ton to move up for Weddle. I guess they could use another safety but there really isn't another first rounder after Phillips. If something happened to Jamal Williams the Chargers season would essentially be over so I think a good insurance policy there is extremely important.

* Agree about the Vikings. Although, I'm assuming (hoping) he's gone after this year, and that the new coach will want his own QB of the future.

As long as Childress is there he is not going to replace Jackson and even if he is fired I am not sure a new coach would necessarily bring in another young quarterback right away. They might just opt for a veteren and continue to develop Jackson. Personally, if I were the Vikings I would absolutely be looking for a stud signal caller and I would have chose Brady Quinn over Adrian Peterson but that's just me.

* Scott, you seem to be really high on Jake Long compared to most of us, I would have a hard time taking him over Dorsey, Campbell if I am Miami....

I am not super high on Long and I don't think he's as good of a prospect as Joe Thomas was but he is without question the top offensive tackle available and a lot of teams need one so he will go very early. As for the Dolphins, neither Dorsey or Campbell would be a very good fit for their defensive scheme.

* The Texans have been passing up on a LT for years so I think it would be tough to pass up on Jonathan Stewart if he was there. Ahman Green is getting up there in age and has been injured all year, Ron Dayne hasnt been Heisman material, Wali Lundy is a 6th round pick. The Texans dont have a running game at all so what are their odds of passing up on a LT for a RB?

Houston just invested huge money in Ahman Green so I'd be shocked if they took a running back in the first round.

* D-Unit on Andre Woodson being overrated

I actually tend to agree with you, but he still may be the top quarterback in this draft. Do I think he's an elite, franchise-type guy? No. But at this point I don't think Brohm or Ryan are either. I am looking very forward to seeing how Woodson does against L.S.U. because based on the tape I have seen of him thus far I have not been blown out of the water.

scottyboy
10-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Scott, you never cease to amaze me.

OhioState
10-13-2007, 11:08 AM
i really like matt ryan to the bears, he would be a great option to replace rex. And do you really think that Keith Rivers is a top ten pick? I know the bengals need a LB badly but i think that they would try pretty hard to trade down because Rivers would be available later in the round and maybe they could pick up an extra pick.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't say that the Texans invested "huge" money in Ahman Green relative to the market.

Crow
10-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I'll try to respond to a bunch of posts at once here:

* You say Doucet isn't as big or strong as Bowe and not as fast as Craig Davis. I think the latter if false. If I recall correctly, Davis was in the low 4.4 range. Eyeballing Doucet, it seems like he's definitely a sub 4.4 guy....IMO, Doucet is the best prospect of the three (Bowe,Davis, Doucet) and is a top 10 talent....he's got serious wheels, excellent quick-twitch athleticism and cutting ability, good hands, and is very dangerous after the catch.

Early Doucet is being projected as a mid-4.5 guy right now. Obviously guys can surprise us (Jason Hill) but at this point nobody feels he is as fast or faster than Buster Davis was.

* Cherilus over Baker...I understand why it happened that way but no way Cherilus is being looked at as a top 20 pick right now. I can't even see him getting projected there. Now although RT is a need....it's hard to believe that they would reach for need. Atl east give them someone who is going to run a fast 40 time.

Cherilus is a legitimate Top 20 pick. In fact, I think there is a lot more debate as to whether Sam Baker is an early first rounder than there is Gosder.

* Highsmith in the first round :O I just don't see it...he would have to have a great offseason showing to warrant this imo.

I personally agree that Highsmith isn't worth a first rounder but that's what I am hearing. His stock is rising and he should test out well in workouts.

* Sweed in the first round just won't happen. I look at it like the Jarrett situation...no matter how much the pick makes sense 40 times kill draft stocks. And while Sweed does a lot of things good....teams are going to get scared off by how slow he is in and out of his breaks.

I feel pretty confident that Sweed will be a first round pick. He is not a 4.6+ guy like Jarrett was and some think he's going to run a 4.45. Plus he is a real hard worker.

* Do you really get the sense that the Petrino/Brohm bond is so close that they would take him with a top 5 pick?

Yes. Heck, he even brought back Chris Redman!

* How much stock do you place in the murmurs that Chris Long is somewhere in the 260 range, pretty much making him a non-option for 3-4 teams (at least top 10 3-4 teams)?

He personally told me he is 280 so I guess I believe him.

* Do you really think Okam, even with all that ability, carries a first round grade right now? I'm not sure I buy the talk of him being a better fit on the offensive line, but do the Chargers really try and add something (even if that something is more enticing than Okam) to their defensive line when the most obvious upgrade needed is in their secondary?

Who do the Chargers take in the secondary? They have Jammer, a former #5 overall pick. Cromartie was a mid-1st rounder. They just drafted Paul Oliver. They gave up a ton to move up for Weddle. I guess they could use another safety but there really isn't another first rounder after Phillips. If something happened to Jamal Williams the Chargers season would essentially be over so I think a good insurance policy there is extremely important.

* Agree about the Vikings. Although, I'm assuming (hoping) he's gone after this year, and that the new coach will want his own QB of the future.

As long as Childress is there he is not going to replace Jackson and even if he is fired I am not sure a new coach would necessarily bring in another young quarterback right away. They might just opt for a veteren and continue to develop Jackson. Personally, if I were the Vikings I would absolutely be looking for a stud signal caller and I would have chose Brady Quinn over Adrian Peterson but that's just me.

* Scott, you seem to be really high on Jake Long compared to most of us, I would have a hard time taking him over Dorsey, Campbell if I am Miami....

I am not super high on Long and I don't think he's as good of a prospect as Joe Thomas was but he is without question the top offensive tackle available and a lot of teams need one so he will go very early. As for the Dolphins, neither Dorsey or Campbell would be a very good fit for their defensive scheme.

* The Texans have been passing up on a LT for years so I think it would be tough to pass up on Jonathan Stewart if he was there. Ahman Green is getting up there in age and has been injured all year, Ron Dayne hasnt been Heisman material, Wali Lundy is a 6th round pick. The Texans dont have a running game at all so what are their odds of passing up on a LT for a RB?

Houston just invested huge money in Ahman Green so I'd be shocked if they took a running back in the first round.

* D-Unit on Andre Woodson being overrated

I actually tend to agree with you, but he still may be the top quarterback in this draft. Do I think he's an elite, franchise-type guy? No. But at this point I don't think Brohm or Ryan are either. I am looking very forward to seeing how Woodson does against L.S.U. because based on the tape I have seen of him thus far I have not been blown out of the water.
Quoted to demonstrate appreciation for taking that much time to answer questions.

But...

Why would Oakland take another OL when their DL is so pitiful? It doesn't appear to be a value thing, as there are a couple DLs coming off the board shortly after our pick. From a need standpoint, I think the OL has proven to be far less of a problem than once thought.

RaiderNation
10-13-2007, 05:09 PM
alright raider pick. id like a dlinemen or wr more though. still a pick i can live with

ljaxson
10-14-2007, 06:40 PM
When is the next Rankings update gonna be?

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I see Woodson as a poor man's Jason Campbell.

A poor man's Jason Campbell? Pretty sure that would then be severely underrating him.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Scott, you seem to be really high on Jake Long compared to most of us, I would have a hard time taking him over Dorsey, Campbell if I am Miami....

I'm not sure I even have him top 5 if I make a big board right now.

Glad to see Highsmith getting some love.

If this season continues to be a disaster, I want none other than Glen Dorsey in black and Gold

Dorsey is a 4-3 UT/DT. Calais is a pure 4-3 Complete DE.

Miami Runs a 3-4..

A 3-4 doesn't work with Tampa2 UT's or 6'8 280lb DE's.. he could be a 3-4 De but thats really limiting his effect.

Has a 3-4 DE ever been taken in the top 5-10?

Seymour?

Crow
10-14-2007, 08:29 PM
But...

Why would Oakland take another OL when their DL is so pitiful? It doesn't appear to be a value thing, as there are a couple DLs coming off the board shortly after our pick. From a need standpoint, I think the OL has proven to be far less of a problem than once thought.
Nevermind. As you were.

M.O.T.H.
10-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Jason Campbell is a pretty apt comparison...the accuracy isnt as good when it comes to Woodson...but, the comparison seems about right. Right now, I'd have Woodson 3rd off the board and falling.

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Jason Campbell is a pretty apt comparison...the accuracy isnt as good when it comes to Woodson...but, the comparison seems about right. Right now, I'd have Woodson 3rd off the board and falling.

Falling? I don't quite see what he's done to deserve to fall. He's been great all year with the exception of the South Carolina. And Brian Brohm has done nothing to put him above of Woodson.

M.O.T.H.
10-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Falling? I don't quite see what he's done to deserve to fall. He's been great all year with the exception of the South Carolina. And Brian Brohm has done nothing to put him above of Woodson.

He wasnt great againt LSU...he threw two more ints and and had a lucky TD that could have been picked off. He is showing that he is not good under any kind of pressure...he's lucky he only has three picks these last two weeks. He hasnt played well. As for Brohm he has always been rated higher than Woodson and has shown great consistancy, time and time again despite being on an injury riddled bad team. Woodson has been extremely rattled under pressure this season and has been making bad decisions when on the run. He's not on Brohm or Ryan's level.

yo123
10-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Thank you for not giving the Vikes Woodson, although I'm not crazy about Jackson. I'd take Matt Ryan there, but I agree with your reasoning on Childress not wanting a QB. We also need a RT badly.

yo123
10-14-2007, 11:36 PM
He wasnt great againt LSU...he threw two more ints and and had a lucky TD that could have been picked off. He is showing that he is not good under any kind of pressure...he's lucky he only has three picks these last two weeks. He hasnt played well. As for Brohm he has always been rated higher than Woodson and has shown great consistancy, time and time again despite being on an injury riddled bad team. Woodson has been extremely rattled under pressure this season and has been making bad decisions when on the run. He's not on Brohm or Ryan's level.

Not to mention he has a rediculously slow release. One of the slowest I've seen. NFL corners are going to be able to break on the ball and pick off a lot of his passes if he doesnt fix that. Other than that, he has average accuracy, a little above average arm strength, pretty crappy pocket presence... I see him as a late first early second. I'm not buying the hype.

1. Matt Ryan
2. Brian Brohm
3. Andre Woodson

Young Legend
10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
i would take Frank Okam right now for the Raiders..

Chris
10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Scott, long time no talk. Connor is a real good player, that's a nice pick for us.

Finsfan79
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with you that Dorsey and Campbell dont fit perfectly our 3-4 systems but I diagree with your statement on the mock draft for miami about Carey. There are rumors down here of miami moving back to a 4-3 (hard to see personally with that capers contract).

He has been a stud for us for the last few years. Amazing at right tackle if you look at the numbers when Ronnie Runs behind him he is opening the lanes great. He has been excellent as a Left Tackle for us so far as well.

Now taking long wouldnt be a bad thing, I dont think he is worth a top 5 pick (unless looking at need based). I know you dont predict trades but miami has to be a prime canidate to be a move back type team in the upcoming draft.

Do you draft a right tackle 1st overall?

Crazy_Chris
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Not to mention he has a rediculously slow release. One of the slowest I've seen. NFL corners are going to be able to break on the ball and pick off a lot of his passes if he doesnt fix that. Other than that, he has average accuracy, a little above average arm strength, pretty crappy pocket presence... I see him as a late first early second. I'm not buying the hype.

1. Matt Ryan
2. Brian Brohm
3. Andre Woodson

I agree with you... Although I see Woodson as more a 15-25 range i don't think there is a chance he falls to early second.

dolphinfan2k5
10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't see any way the Dolphins can draft offense in the first round. Our offense is doing fine, and the line finally seems to be getting the hang of things. They are probably the most solid unit on the team right now. Obviously the offense isn't perfect, and Jake Long would help, but we need too much help on defense right now to be looking at taking a RT that doesn't even grade out all that well, at least not enough to warrant being a #1 pick in my mind. Right now the only thing I can see us doing is taking Dorsey, or hopefully finding a trade partner, much easier said then done, and trading back and taking a solid LB. Hopefully Woodson plays really well and has a great combine so that some team will become enamored with him because we need all the picks we can get to get this defense back on the right track. If only we would have had this offense last year... Its a shame because nothing is really different, personnel wise. Satele is a huge help though. He's doing an amazing job.

BucSappy
10-17-2007, 05:31 AM
I really find it very troubling that if Andre' Woodson doesn't go 27-30 that people label him as having streaky accuracy, not an elite prospect, etc. etc.

The expectations are just too high, oh well Scott will eat his crow on draft day.