PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Week 6 Mock

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Order based on how I believe the teams will finish. Went through the entire season and picked each game, then did the records.

Round 1

Trade: Miami trades their first round pick (1), to Oakland, for their first round pick (7), a third round pick, and a 2008 1st round pick.

1. Oakland (v/MIA) (5-11) – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (Jr.)

Miami has no need for McFadden, and Dorsey isn’t a good fit for their scheme. Calais Campbell is an option, but at the end of the day, trading down is their best option. Lamont Jordan has been great this year, but how long do you expect him to keep that up. Darren McFadden brings a Reggie Bush type presence to the field, while being a little better in between the tackles. He’s the type of player Al Davis drools over, and he and Jordan, along with Dominic Rhodes, will give the Raiders a dynamic backfield to go with future QB Jamarcus Russell.

2. Minnesota (2-14) – Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

I think I am a little higher on Woodson than everybody else, but Tavaris Jackson is not going to take Minnesota anywhere. He’s been given every opportunity early on and hasn’t shown that much sign of progression, if any at all. Woodson has a strong work ethic, which is proved evident being part of a military family. That work ethic, in my mind, enables him to be the better prospect over Brohm and Ryan. His somewhat slow release is fixable, and he has the arm strength to make all the throws.

3. Buffalo (2-14) – Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

While few would argue John McCargo was a good pick a couple years ago, he has performed well of late and has cemented his spot on the Bills defensive line. Adding Glenn Dorsey, who some believe is the best prospect in the draft, regardless of position or class, will surely improve the run defense of the Bills. Dorsey is a monster, and gets good penetration into the backfield. He is truly dominant DT. One of the best prospects at his position in a long time.

4. Atlanta (4-12) – Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

This pick has become so common in mock drafts, it’s easy to make another pick. However, it simply makes too much sense. Joey Harrington is not going to lead this team anywhere, and as hard as it is for me to say it, neither will Byron Leftwich. Brohm is already familiar with the system, being that Bobby Petrino was his head coach at Louisville. You can argue all he want that he’s a system QB, but that system he played in, is the same one Petrino is implementing in Atlanta.

5. St. Louis (4-12) – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL) (Jr.)

The Rams have Leonard Little and James Hall, but Little is 32, and Hall could be upgraded. Bringing in a player of Campbell’s ability could really help the defense as a whole. His pass rushing ability could help the development of young guns Tye Hill, Ronald Bartell and Jonathan Wade.

Trade: The New York Jets trade their first round pick (6), to Philadelphia, for their 1st round pick, and a 2008 2nd round pick.

6. Philadelphia (v/NYJ) (6-10) – Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL) (Jr.)

The Jets don’t have a pick here that makes a lot of sense without being a reach, so they look to trade down. Miami needs help at safety, and so does Philadelphia, so the Eagles jump ahead here. Giving up a couple of 3rd rounders. Phillips has Ed Reed and Sean Taylor like ability. Sean Considine leaves a lot to be desired at one safety spot, and Brian Dawkins is 33, so who knows how much longer he’ll be around.

7. Miami (v/OAK) (2-14) – Jake Long, OT, Michigan

With the trade down, Miami is still able to obtaint a player at a dire position of need. Long is a franchise tackle, whether that be on the left or right. They are also able to obtain a mid-round pick, and a 2008 1st rounder, which could be used on a QB if John Beck doesn't impress.

8. New England (v/SF) (14-2) – James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State (Jr.)

With the injury to Alex Smith, I don't expect Trent Dilfer to take this team anywhere in 2007, as promising as they are. They are still to young and don't have many weapons on offense aside from Gore and Vernon Davis, who has been injury plagued in the early part of his career. While for the Patriots, James Laurinaitis is the perfect replacement for Tedy Bruschi or Junior Seau. He's got a good head for the game, but just as good of a physical repotoire. He's a Bill Belicheck type player, whatever that means.

9. Kansas City (6-10) – Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma (Jr.)

Not too many people are aware of how good this guy really is, but I can tell you, he's an animal. Tremendous athleticism for a guy of his nature. The Chiefs could use a player like Loadholt, any NFL team could, but with the retirement of Willie Roaf prior to the season, OT became a position of need. Loadholt fits the bill, and should start immediately. What good is a QB if you don't have time to throw the ball?

10. New York Jets (v/PHI) (4-12) – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

Another good trade down. The Jets need 3-4 personnel. To me, Ellis is a perfect 3-4 DE, and looking around that's a common judgement. Chris Long is an option here, but I don't think he has the potential of Ellis, who is more athletic than Long.

11. Arizona (7-9) – Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida (Jr.)

While Harvey is a little undersized for the position, he makes up for it with his speed and athleticism. Remember the National Championship game? The Buckeyes sure do. Arizona could use some help at CB, and the value is there, but a secondary is useless without a consistent pass rush. Someone will be there in the second round.

12. Dallas (v/CLE) (14-2) – Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma (Jr.)

While DeSean Jackson is awfully tempting here, Patrick Crayton has been more than impressive this year, and Sam Hurd hasn't been bad either. Reggie Smith brings the added bonus of being a potential FS as well as a CB, two areas where the Cowboys have a need, or potential need. Smith will surpass Malcolm Jenkins in my opinion as the top Junior CB and will warrant a selection in the middle of the first round.

13. Carolina (7-9) – Sam Baker, OT, USC

With potentially both OT's leaving via free agency this offseason, this may become a number one priority in the draft. Baker is a great LT and his stock seems to be slipping a bit due to the arrival of Phil Loadholt, but he hasn't done anything to warrant that. He's a Top 10 talent and will help Carolina get back on track in 2008.

14. Detroit (7-9) – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

After a fast start I think the Lions we all know are going to come back. The departure of Dre Bly has hurt more than most probably expected, and bringing someone like Jenkins in will help soften that void.

15. New Orleans (8-8) – Keith Rivers, LB, USC

I fully expect the Saints to bounce back after a slow start. They have a decent schedule and the talent to do so on offense. Rivers will help improve the defense, which has been a big reason for the slow start. He has passed Dan Connor as I see it and could even warrant a higher pick than this is a team needed a LB that badly.

16. Houston (8-8) – DeSean Jackson, WR, California (Jr.)

Ryan Clady is awfully tempting here, as he's a good fit for the ZBS, but Houston has consistently passed up on offensive linemen and with DeSean Jackson available, I expect that trend to continue. Jackson and Andre Johnson could form a very formidable duo for newcomer Matt Schaub and also give a boost to the return game, where Jerome Mathis has been unable to stay healthy.

17. San Diego (8-8) – Tyson Jackson, DL, LSU (Jr.)

Tyson Jackson is vastly underrated playing on the same line as Glenn Dorsey, but he's nearly as good of a player. The Chargers don't have many glaring needs but defensive line depth is one of them. Luis Castillo is solid at one DE spot, but the acquisition of Jackson would surely be appreciated.

18. Chicago (9-7) – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

Plain and simple, Rex Grossman should not have been starting for that long. Matt Ryan has seen his stock rise more than anyone in the draft, and he may not be here at 18 when all is said and done. He's got a great arm, and has excellent leadership. He's everything you could ask for in a QB.

19. Jacksonville (9-7) – Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Paul Spicer and Bobby McCray have quietly been very impressive for the Jaguars, but neither is one who will blow you away with strength or speed. Chris Long has that potential. Reggie Hayward and Chris Long, added to the DT duo of John Henderson and Marcus Stroud will give the Jaguars one of the best lines in football, if not the best.

20. Cincinnati (10-6) – Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn

It's no question that the Cincinnati defense is suspect, but with two first round picks in the secondary in Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph, you look to the pass rush to see the problem. Groves will be a welcomed addition to the defense and could potentially be moved to LB. He's a great fit for the 3-4 scheme as an OLB if Cincinnati were ever to turn to that.

21. Denver (9-7) – Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

The Broncos need help at safety more than anything else, but value simply isn't there. LB is a need position also. Al Wilson was cut in the preseason and Dan Connor can come in and challenge for playing time right away.

22. New York Giants (10-6) – Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

Aaron Ross has been good, but Sam Madison is solid, but up there in age. R.W. McQuarters is just old. Jenkins has had a similar season to Aaron Ross last year. Senior prospect comes into his own senior year and really shines. He and Ross could be a great duo in the near future.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-6) – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (Jr.)
Cadillac Williams' leg injury is career threatening. Even if he does return, I think it is safe to assume he'll never be the same. Frank Okam is vastly overrated in my eyes and I don't see him here, same with Demario Pressley. Stewart is a great talent, who should go much higher but drops due to lack of need.

24. Tennessee Titans (10-6) – Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State

Sweed used to be everybody's favorite pick here, but Bowman is the better prospects right now, injury or not. He's got great size with good speed and hands. In a class weak at WR, he's easily the best senior WR prospect. Vince Young will welcome him to his arsenal of weapons.

25. Baltimore Ravens (10-6) – Vernon Gholston, DE/LB, Ohio State (Jr.)

When they lost Aadalius Thomas they never really looked to replace him. Gholston has that potential to be successful as a 3-4 OLB and his addition could help boost the Ravens defense to where they used to be, as the NFL's best.

26. Green Bay Packers (11-5) – Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

They have two starters in Al Harris and Charles Woodson, but there is no depth, and both of them are getting older. Antoine Cason used to be considered the best senior CB prospect, but the likes of Mike Jenkins have surpassed him in my eyes. Cason is still a good player and will likely step right in as the nickel back in Green Bay.

27. Seattle Seahawks (11-5) – John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame

The Seahawks are a team without a lot of glaring needs, so they can afford to go TE here. Carlson doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does everything good. He will fill the void left behind by Jerramy Stevens.

28. Washington Redskins (12-4) – Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC

Andre Carter has been great this year, but Philip Daniels could be upgraded. Lawrence Jackson is a solid prospect who could easily challenge Daniels right away.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State (Jr.)

Marvel Smith may be gone soon and there is no one in line to replace him; even so, they need O-Line depth. Clady is a good athlete and deserves to go higher than this, but the Steelers won't be complaining if he slips to them here.

30. San Francisco 49ers (v/IND) (5-11) – Early Doucet, WR, LSU

Alex Smith needs weapons around him if he's ever going to develop. Doucet isn't exceptionally fast or have great size, but he does everything well. He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin coming out of Florida State.

31. Dallas Cowboys (14-2) – Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

With two first round picks maybe this is finally the year that Jerry gives in and drafts an OT. They need one, and WR doesn't warrant great value here. Williams is a good athlete and could really improve upon an already good Dallas O-Line.

32. New England Patriots (14-2) – forfeited by penalty of NFL

neko4
10-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Love the packers pick and position

Turtlepower
10-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I like the pick, but Clady would also be nice for the G-Men.

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, Clady would be a nice pick. But with how well Diehl has played at LT i'm a little hesitant to give them a LT in the first round. It seems more like a position that can be solved during FA.

Crow
10-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm all for the move up to get McFadden, but Oakland has no 3rd round pick.

SuperMcGee
10-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Come on, winning just one more game all year? We still face Miami twice, I've already proven you wrong.

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm all for the move up to get McFadden, but Oakland has no 3rd round pick.

I didn't look into it. Not a big deal, a 2008 3rd rounder works.

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Come on, winning just one more game all year? We still face Miami twice, I've already proved you wrong.

When I was picking the games I didn't factor in other games. I just picked the winners. I probaly had Buffalo and Miami splitting.

scottyboy
10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I'd rather Cason for the Giants

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I'd rather Cason for the Giants

That's opinion. I prefer Jenkins.

scottyboy
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
That's opinion. I prefer Jenkins.

yea well I'm a rutgers fan and kinda like zona lol

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
honestly I really dont see us trading up.We dont have a 3rd rounder to give anyway.I dont see how trading up to get a player whos position isnt a need will help us either.RB is one of the last positions this team needs.

Chucky
10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Jon Stewart is a decent pick, even if caddy does come back

thebow305
10-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Absolutely LOVE that trade! If we are in that situation it is likely something like that will probably happen I think. I wish Kenny would've lasted one more pick though. Oh well, at number seven if we can land a possible franchise Left Tackle prospect I will be happy, considering all we got in that trade as well. If we are picking a LT though, I would rather have Loadholt. Either one is fine though, I just think Loadholt has more potential.

draftguru151
10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Come on, winning just one more game all year? We still face Miami twice, I've already proven you wrong.

Yea, because Buffalo is such a talented team they can already mark up 2 games against ANYBODY as wins.

JPF
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Like the Panthers pick!

MaddHatter
10-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Great picks for Cowboys' needs - Not a fan of the OU CB but that's just personal opinion

Caddy
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-6) – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (Jr.)
Cadillac Williams' leg injury is career threatening. Even if he does return, I think it is safe to assume he'll never be the same. Frank Okam is vastly overrated in my eyes and I don't see him here, same with Demario Pressley. Stewart is a great talent, who should go much higher but drops due to lack of need.

Before I start my rant, I just want to say that I am perfectly fine with a mock maker choosing a player for a team provided he can solidly justify the pick. Sadly you have not done that. Yes Caddy is injured, but there has been no indication at all that "he'll never be the same". He will need 9-12 months to rehab before any assessment can be made about whether he'll be "the same". I think that the Buc's do need a RB, but picking someone up in rounds 2-4 or through FA would be a better option. With so many needs to fill (OT,CB,WR,DT,QB etc), drafting a RB is a luxury the Buc's just can't afford at the moment.

Vikes99ej
10-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Good Vikings pick.

Kurve
10-13-2007, 08:18 AM
no matter how nice it would be to have Mcfadden in silver and black it wouldnt happen. We have one of the best rushing offenses in the league so far and even if we just place in the top 15 in the league in rushing that is sufficient to avoid moving up to get a RB at this time unless he fell to us. With that said raiders have been improved from last year but still have plent of holes so Al would love to keep all the draft picks he can have. DE, S , WR i think are the biggest needs right now.

AkiliSmith
10-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Great pick for the Bengals. A pass rush would do wonders for the defense.

Travis 24
10-13-2007, 10:03 AM
If the Eagles end up with Kenny Phillips.... :D

Crow
10-13-2007, 06:49 PM
honestly I really dont see us trading up.We dont have a 3rd rounder to give anyway.I dont see how trading up to get a player whos position isnt a need will help us either.RB is one of the last positions this team needs.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Jordan has proven year after year that he can't carry a starter's load, and neither Huggy nor P!ssy Britches are lead backs. It's also likely that either Jordan or Rhodes will be cut loose after the season...if not both.

RB is a position that needs to be upgraded. Maybe not with McFadden, but upgraded nonetheless.

foozball
10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
bad pick for the texans. we've got jacoby jones as our future #2 and andre davis has revived his career with us. if we need a WR, itd be a big guy we could use in the redzone like malcolm kelly or adarius bowman, but we won't take a WR in round 1. its either RB, FS, or OT

The Dynasty
10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Yea, because Buffalo is such a talented team they can already mark up 2 games against ANYBODY as wins.

I deft. have Buffalo beating Miami in December in Buffalo. Its already getting cold up here today it was like 48 but windy.

Good Pick for the Vikings just sad about the 2-14 record. I know it will be against the giants ;) lol.

NIN1984
10-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I dig the Raiders pick

21ST
10-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Bad redskins pick, give us a CB or WR