PDA

View Full Version : Chances that McFadden slips a bit on draft day?

DMWSackMachine
10-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm sure by now most here have checked out Scott's new mock. He has McFadden going to the 'Boys at #6, which at first blush would be waaaaay lower than he should go, considering he is almost universally regarded as the best prospect available should he choose to enter the draft.

However, looking at who is picking ahead of the #6 spot, that is to say, Miami, St. Louis, Buffalo, Atlanta and New Orleans, it isn't really that far-fetched to consider. Really, those 5 teams are all in the running for the #1 pick right now, as they comprise the 3 teams without a win to date (STL, MIA, NO) as well as two other teams that are in turmoil and have looked hopelessly bad at points during the season. I would say that is pretty close to being the 5 worst teams in the league.

If that happens, you have a situation brewing in which McFadden could slide more than he should. Not only do most of those teams have a solid, established RB manning their backfield, they have some of the very best young RBs in the entire league. Steven Jackson. Reggie Bush. Ronnie Brown. Marshawn Lynch. Those 4 players represent one of the top two prospects at the position in the 2004, 2005, 2006, AND 2007 draft classes, including the top RB drafted in 3 of those drafts and two #2 overall picks. My guess is that teams that are that heavily invested in the position will not be eager to spend their shot at a superstar on a position in which they (should) already have one.

(note: you could also throw Minny into this conversation and have each of the top prospects from the last 4 drafts in play)

So, is D-Mac in store for a disappointing slide on draft-day? Is the table potentially set for a RB-needy--or just BPA needy--team to trade up and scoop him up?

While I, as a Cowboy fan, would love for Cleveland to deliver a top 6 pick to us, I don't expect anything higher than the #10 right now. I love D-Mac and want him unbelievably bad this year. I expect that we will have to trade up if we hope to acquire him. This may be our only glimmer of hope.

Will he be simply too good to pass on? Will some team load their backfield because they don't want to pass up on a HOFer?

yo123
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I dont think hes going to fall very far. If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)

Desperado
10-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I dont think hes going to fall very far. If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)

I don't see any way NO takes him....with so much invested in Bush and so many holes on D to even think twice about another offensive player.

Saints-Tigers
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
New Orleans will not take Mcfadden lol, no chance in hell.

Glen Dorsey is the best prospect IMO, and by a pretty wide margin.

then again, I'm not nearly as high on Mcfadden as some.

D-Fence
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)I don't see any way Atlanta passes on Brian Brohm, assuming he's available when they pick. You know Joey ain't the answer, and I think it's safe to assume Leftwich isn't long-term, either.

New Orleans taking McFadden = :eek: McFadden + Bush = Insanity for D-coordinators throughout the L. But, I don't see New Orleans wasting another first rounder on offense. They almost HAVE to address defense, regardless of where the pick falls.

While I don't see any of those 5 teams taking him, I don't know if I buy him falling to 6, but for Mock purposes it makes sense. If the draft broke down this way, one of those 5 teams would undoubtedly be looking to trade down and acquire extra picks, and I think it's safe to assume there'd be plenty of teams looking to move up with their eyes on McFadden...

LonghornsLegend
10-13-2007, 12:54 AM
well you never know, detroit did keep taking wr's, sean payton may want to keep taking offense, and it might not be that crazy if they take DMac in the 1st and defense the rest of the way, so at the end of both days he could be their only offensive pick, if they have him graded really high, and he ends up where they are, they could very well take him and I wouldnt be that surprised, it would be hell for D coordinators, although I personally think that would be too expensive, and they wouldnt be able to keep both guys, they would probably be their highest paid players on the team at the time he signed a contract, and there is no way you would be able to resign them both when their price jacks up, so no point in taking a guy you dont intend on trying to keep for the long haul, and their not parting ways with reggie

Paranoidmoonduck
10-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Well first let me say that I think the draft order is probably going to change a lot from what most people have their mock draft orders set to. There's 11 more weeks of pro ball to go.

However, I think that McFadden might slide simply because there's always a good chance with runningbacks. If he finishes the year strong (Heisman?) and has an especially impressive showing in the pre-draft process, then there's always the chance that even a team with a solid running game will decide to take him anyway.

However, I do think that the apparent weakness at the top of this coming draft may cause a market where teams are eager to trade down. If McFadden slips at all, it wouldn't surprise me to see a team or two attempt to move up to swipe him.

D-Unit
10-13-2007, 04:59 AM
I hate to burst your bubble DMW, but odds are DMAC doesn't land in Dallas.

Some team will surely trade up for him. GB, TAM, ATL, DET, HOU and on and on.

I don't see why NOR would draft him either. They could address defense in FA or later in the draft. McFadden would easily be BPA on the board at their pick and they've already invested the last 2 first rounders on offense. In order to continue to build upon what they have started, you simply can't count out them taking DMAC... esp if Dorsey is already off the board.

10-13-2007, 08:02 AM
I hate to burst your bubble DMW, but odds are DMAC doesn't land in Dallas.

Some team will surely trade up for him. GB, TAM, ATL, DET, HOU and on and on.

I don't see why NOR would draft him either. They could address defense in FA or later in the draft. McFadden would easily be BPA on the board at their pick and they've already invested the last 2 first rounders on offense. In order to continue to build upon what they have started, you simply can't count out them taking DMAC... esp if Dorsey is already off the board.

bush and dmac...i love it!!!

Freddy G
10-13-2007, 10:36 AM
I think his chances of going in the 7-12 range are very high. I really do like him as a prospect, but at this point i think he is far from a lock for a top 5 or 6 pick.

People have bought into the hype a little too much and as a result his stock is a slightly higher than it should be. He has a lot of the same concerns that Adrian Peterson did (tall, upright runner...not as many serious injuries though) and isn't even on Peterson's level. You can say what ever you like, but DMac just is not as good as Peterson. Peterson was the best RB prospect since Bo hands down, and what you gain with DMacs versatility, you loose in pure running ability. Plus, we are all seening AD becoming a complete RB. The thing Darren has going for him is that the top of this draft isn't as strong as last years which should push him up a bit.

Point is, if Dmac was in last years draft, he would have barely been a top 10 pick.

Sniper
10-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Point is, if Dmac was in last years draft, he would have barely been a top 10 pick.

Are you serious?

robert_in_bigd
10-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Funny enuff that DMAC

a) Averages more yards per carry than Peterson in College (6 vs 5.3)
b) Less injuries
c) I predict much faster

With that, I hope he falls right to the Cowboys.

DMac, J King and M Kelley -- Dallas Cowboys ROund 1-2

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Very little IMO. He's an elite player in a draft where there are few elite players. I'd be very suprised if he doesn't go top 5. Some of you take need too much into account.

I've had him going to New Orleans at #4 in my recent mocks for a few reasons.

Flyboy
10-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I've had him going to New Orleans at #4 in my recent mocks for a few reasons.

Just doesn't make sense all around. If we do select an offensive player, it should be Long or Baker.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Just doesn't make sense all around. If we do select an offensive player, it should be Long or Baker.
I've heard from numerous Saints fans that it's very possible that Deuce is done with the Saints, both for monetary and injury concerns.

IF that is the case, Reggie Bush is not a everydown back. He's just not, and he never will be. That doesn't mean it was a wasted pick, as he can be utilized in many different ways, but without an everydown back the Saints offense won't run and that will be shown this year.

Flyboy
10-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I've heard from numerous Saints fans that it's very possible that Deuce is done with the Saints, both for monetary and injury concerns.

IF that is the case, Reggie Bush is not a everydown back. He's just not, and he never will be. That doesn't mean it was a wasted pick, as he can be utilized in many different ways, but without an everydown back the Saints offense won't run and that will be shown this year.

I said as soon as Deuce went down this year that it was probably the last time Deuce would be on a the field on a Saint. I honestly think he's going to retire, but I don't see him coming back.

As far Bush being an everydown back -- I don't believe that logic. Bush had 21 carries against the Panthers and looked just fine, along with catching passes and going over 100 yards in total offense. The only logical reason Bush gets flak of not being an everydown back is because he's never had the opportunity. At USC & then in his rookie season last year. Now, it's time for him to step up and see what he has as the main focal point of the offense. Up to this point, he's been fine.

Bush is hardly the problem of our offense -- hell, even when Deuce was healthy and we had an "everydown back" at the beginning of the season, our offense wasn't doing crap because of no holes to run through, no time for Brees to throw, and horribly poor execution. If Bush goes through the entire rest of the season and just does horrid then I'll agree with that assessment. However, he played his ass off against the Panthers as an "everydown back" and almost willed us to a win.

marks01234
10-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I said as soon as Deuce went down this year that it was probably the last time Deuce would be on a the field on a Saint. I honestly think he's going to retire, but I don't see him coming back.

As far Bush being an everydown back -- I don't believe that logic. Bush had 21 carries against the Panthers and looked just fine, along with catching passes and going over 100 yards in total offense. The only logical reason Bush gets flak of not being an everydown back is because he's never had the opportunity. At USC & then in his rookie season last year. Now, it's time for him to step up and see what he has as the main focal point of the offense. Up to this point, he's been fine.

Bush is hardly the problem of our offense -- hell, even when Deuce was healthy and we had an "everydown back" at the beginning of the season, our offense wasn't doing crap because of no holes to run through, no time for Brees to throw, and horribly poor execution. If Bush goes through the entire rest of the season and just does horrid then I'll agree with that assessment. However, he played his ass off against the Panthers as an "everydown back" and almost willed us to a win.

He had like 65 rushing yards on 3 yards per carry. The same Panthers' defense that was abused by Tampa Bay's back up running backs.

I'm not saying they should take McFadden but I don't think they should rule it out. Making a mistake one year should not dictate your drafts for the next half-decade.

Desperado
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
One more thing about DMAC to NO......how could they possibly afford both players? paying them upwards of 40 million each for two RB doesn't make much sense on their cap.

DukeDaGod
10-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Has anyone considered him possibly going to the Jets? The Jets look like they have a legitimate shot at the Top 5 this year, especially if they decide to give up on Pennington and start playing for next year. Even if they crack the Top 10 you would think they have a shot at trading up.

Thomas Jones has done nothing to solidify his status in the Jets plans for the future, he is an aging back and it's clear he's not the talent he once was. McFadden could be their long term solution.

keylime_5
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
St Louis, Miami, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Kansas City will not take him. The Falcons could, but they'd take a QB like Brohm, Woodson, or maybe Ryan first. The Jets certainly could take him as they will be picking high this year it seems, and it's not like it's worth passing up a stud like McFadden for anyone else in the draft if he's available. The Bears took a RB after Jones had a big year, why wouldn't NY, who needs a great running game to win.

He's been going to the Jets in my mock drafts for the past few weeks. Cleveland is not gonna lose that many games to finish in the top 5 or 6. In reality I doubt if the Browns are picking in the top 10 considering they finished the toughest part of their schedule at 2-3 and now get Miami and St.Louis their next 2 games....so I don't think he goes to Dallas unless they trade up.

SaintsMan
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
New Orleans will take the best player on the board and if Dorsey is gone, Saints take McFadden. Going by need, Kenny Phillips should be taken if Glenn Dorsey is gone. All this assuming NO has a top 5 pick.

Race for the Heisman
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM
My current projections have the Jets at 6, which is still only a strong possibility for me, nothing definitive, because while Thomas Jones has been struggling, he's still a good back. I don't really know how far he's fall, considering the top 10 (the way I see the pieces falling), bar Oakland, seem fairly set at the position.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 03:57 PM
One more thing about DMAC to NO......how could they possibly afford both players? paying them upwards of 40 million each for two RB doesn't make much sense on their cap.
Except Reggie Bush isn't a runningback. You're not paying them to do the same thing, and both players will be on the field at the same time.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 04:01 PM
My current projections have the Jets at 6, which is still only a strong possibility for me, nothing definitive, because while Thomas Jones has been struggling, he's still a good back. I don't really know how far he's fall, considering the top 10 (the way I see the pieces falling), bar Oakland, seem fairly set at the position.
Jones is good but they'd be insane to pass on McFadden at #6 if they had the chance.

Race for the Heisman
10-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Jones is good but they'd be insane to pass on McFadden at #6 if they had the chance.

True, and I can't think of anyone who they'd rather have, based on need and value, who'd be there at 6.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-13-2007, 05:27 PM

I think this might end up being the case for a lot of teams. Let's say that everyone currently with a losing record stands a chance of choosing somewhere in the top 10 (although there are probably some teams with current winning records that'll wind up picking high). That means that the Jets, Saints, Falcons, Bengals, Bengals, Chiefs, and probably even the Broncos stand the chance of convincing themselves by next April that McFadden is just too talented to pass on.

Saints-Tigers
10-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Saint's aren't taking Mcfadden, Bush has looked fine when given the load to carry. He's taking his lumps, and learning to be more of an inside runner, but the offensive line is more the issue than Bush.

He just needs to be patient, and pick his spots, it's really not about physical tools for him, like people want to believe.

McFadden isn't some revolutionary talent people... jeez.... he's not Bo Jackson.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Saint's aren't taking Mcfadden, Bush has looked fine when given the load to carry. He's taking his lumps, and learning to be more of an inside runner, but the offensive line is more the issue than Bush.

He just needs to be patient, and pick his spots, it's really not about physical tools for him, like people want to believe.

McFadden isn't some revolutionary talent people... jeez.... he's not Bo Jackson.
A couple of things.

1)McFadden may very well be Bo Jackson. I've been on this earth at least a few more years than most of y'all and I would say McFadden is the best SEC runningback since Bo.

2)I'm sorry but when did Reggie all of the sudden become a good all-around runningback? Just because you say something is true doesn't mean it is. He has never been an inside runner, how is he all of the sudden going to become one on his own in the NFL?

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I think this might end up being the case for a lot of teams. Let's say that everyone currently with a losing record stands a chance of choosing somewhere in the top 10 (although there are probably some teams with current winning records that'll wind up picking high). That means that the Jets, Saints, Falcons, Bengals, Bengals, Chiefs, and probably even the Broncos stand the chance of convincing themselves by next April that McFadden is just too talented to pass on.
See: Detroit Lions and Calvin Johnson. It happens all the time. Even though every year there is a bounty of people saying that there is "no chance" that it would. I actually wish I would have written down all of the people that said there was "no chance" Detroit would pick Johnson.

Vikes99ej
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I just can't see the Saints taking McFadden. They have way too many needs on defense.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I just can't see the Saints taking McFadden. They have way too many needs on defense.

Some of it depends where they are too mind you. Dorsey is the only defensive player that is legit top #3 in my mind, though Campbell could easily establish himself there (though DE is even less of a need for the Saints)

Phillips is a great player but do you give that kind of signing bonus money to a safety? I dunno...if they're down to 5th or 6th that would make a big difference.

JPLUFF
10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
See: Detroit Lions and Calvin Johnson. It happens all the time. Even though every year there is a bounty of people saying that there is "no chance" that it would. I actually wish I would have written down all of the people that said there was "no chance" Detroit would pick Johnson.

Could've written my name down there, that's for sure.

Saints-Tigers
10-13-2007, 08:16 PM
A couple of things.

1)McFadden may very well be Bo Jackson. I've been on this earth at least a few more years than most of y'all and I would say McFadden is the best SEC runningback since Bo.

2)I'm sorry but when did Reggie all of the sudden become a good all-around runningback? Just because you say something is true doesn't mean it is. He has never been an inside runner, how is he all of the sudden going to become one on his own in the NFL?

No offense, but if you believe that, your man love for McFadden is on a whole other level. McFadden really can't sniff Bo Jackson's physical abilities. It really isn't close. I still don't buy McFadden as a better pure runner than Peterson, and I've seen plenty of both.

Reggie's never going to be earl Campbell, but his issues are all correctable right now. He either dances around, or hits the whole so fast the blocks don't open up. He'll be fine, he can be a main guy just like Marshall Faulk.

Don't mean to sound like a jackass, but you sound like you want to be our dad. Just because you are older doesn't make you more knowledgeable about a subject.

Man_Of_Steel
10-13-2007, 09:42 PM
A couple of things.

I suppose McFadden walks on water too. Run DMC is a real good prospect, arguabley along side Dorsey the best in this draft but comparing him to the great Bo Jackson is absolutley ludacris.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I love how some of you talk about Bo Jackson even though you weren't even born when he was playing in college....or likely even in the NFL.

I'm not saying he is Bo...but it's not ludicrous. He's definately the best SEC back since Bo. I know you all loved Bo in highlights and playing Tecmo Superbowl, but he's reached a level of superhumaness that is not in line with reality.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 09:49 PM
No offense, but if you believe that, your man love for McFadden is on a whole other level. McFadden really can't sniff Bo Jackson's physical abilities. It really isn't close. I still don't buy McFadden as a better pure runner than Peterson, and I've seen plenty of both.

Reggie's never going to be earl Campbell, but his issues are all correctable right now. He either dances around, or hits the whole so fast the blocks don't open up. He'll be fine, he can be a main guy just like Marshall Faulk.

Don't mean to sound like a jackass, but you sound like you want to be our dad. Just because you are older doesn't make you more knowledgeable about a subject.

I assure you I don't want to be your dad. And Bush has yet to even remotely prove that he can be as tough or durable as Faulk was. Faulk was a workhorse, Bush is a showpony, that my friend is an absurd comparison.

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
And I'm not sleeping on AP at all. He fell due to injury concerns and little more as far as I'm concerned. The Browns would have been totally justified taking him at #3 if they so choose. Hell, the Raiders or Lions could have taken him if he cleared healthwise for them and I wouldn't have blinked.

Things always fall in a funny way, but just because AP went #7 doesn't mean he couldn't have gone a lot higher, especially had he not had so many injuries.

Saints-Tigers
10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
LOL, I have to come clean, and say the first thing I think of with Bo is Tecmo Bowl...

Reggie is much closer to Marshall than Mcfadden is to Bo.

And know one cares how old you are, or how you we are, it's not making your case for you/

bearsfan_51
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
It's not a matter of "I'm older than you so I automatically know what I'm talking about" but it does say something that you're calling me out on making a comparison on player that you know from a video game. I think the fact that I was actually alive when Bo was playing says something.

Bo was definately a tremendous prospect, and DMC probably isn't quite at that level, I'll give you that. But Bo was also on a very good Auburn team, McFadden is the Razorbacks. Regardless, my original statement was that he may be at Bo's level and that at the very least he's the best RB from the SEC since then (which was 21 years ago).

Desperado
10-13-2007, 10:12 PM
It's not a matter of "I'm older than you so I automatically know what I'm talking about" but it does say something that you're calling me out on making a comparison on player that you know from a video game. I think the fact that I was actually alive when Bo was playing says something.

Bo was definately a tremendous prospect, and DMC probably isn't quite at that level, I'll give you that. But Bo was also on a very good Auburn team, McFadden is the Razorbacks. Regardless, my original statement was that he may be at Bo's level and that at the very least he's the best RB from the SEC since then (which was 21 years ago).

hahah good point

marks01234
10-13-2007, 10:30 PM
The NFL is soon going to learn that running back is the least valuable position to draft for. Just look at Reggie Bush - he's an average NFL RB - no better than Maurice Jones-Drew, Joseph Addai, Lawrence Maroney or even Leon Washington.

Saints-Tigers
10-13-2007, 11:55 PM

No no, you mistake me, I've seen Bo play, I know my Bo, but I'm also a football gamer, and Bo brings back some fond memories :D

The rest of the stuff I can agree with, no qualms there.

As for drafting runningbacks... I tend to agree, I'm not a big fan of using high draft picks on runningbacks, the reason I never had problems with the Bush pick was because of what he brings to the table outside of running ability. The versatile receiving, the return threat, and the dynamic big play ability. It's easy for everyone else on the offense when the defense is so focused on one player.

IMO, the difference between the top pure runners and the second tier runners isn't really enough to warrant top 5 draft picks IMO, unless your team has no pressing needs other than RB, or the talent disparity is just so huge. Building a stout offensive line improves an entire offense, and plugging in runners usually is pretty easy.

Ehh, sorry to come off like such a dick earlier also, peace my friend :D

Paranoidmoonduck
10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Reggie is much closer to Marshall than Mcfadden is to Bo.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.

Reggie and Marshall's college careers bear some resemblance, but I think that Faulk was a vastly better inside runner coming into the league. McFadden may be behind Jackson in overall physical talent, but I think that he has that talent where it really matters for a runner and that he isn't all far behind in that regard. Jackson was more violent as a runner, but I don't think that automatically makes him better.

Reggie could be Faulk-ish, but Faulk wasn't really dominant until '98 and he wasn't anywhere close to an elite runner until he became part of a prolific and intelligent offense in St. Louis. It took him that long and that perfect a situation to become the player he did, and I think that Bush has a longer way to go and certainly isn't guaranteed any of the sort of luck Marshall got.

Shiver
10-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Faulk maybe wasn't dominant, but he was still a pro-bowl RB, but I digress.

As for McFadden it's entirely possible he falls in the draft. The fact of the matter is RB is one of the least valuable top-10 pick possible. The odds are that they will only be 'great' for three to four years, if they pan out at all, and don't forget the injury angle. I know other Falcons fans' want McFadden, but I for one am not sold on it.

bearsfan_51
10-14-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm starting to change my thinking on the RB as a position of little top value. In particular because the ZBS is really starting to get exposed (as if it hadn't already) as being pretty poor in terms of pass protection. I would certainly take an elite runningback over an elite wide reciever. The # of touches per game isn't even close. QB and LT are always going to be the big 2 on offense, but after that I'd rather have an elite runningback than an elite center. And I say that as a Bears fan.

D-Unit
10-14-2007, 04:43 AM
RB is one of the most impactful positions on offense. No doubt about it. However, the future of the NFL is all about the RB by committee approach. You don't need to have elite RBs if you're running a committee. You definitely don't want to draft a top 10 RB in the first round if you're running a committee either. Way too costly.

P-L
10-14-2007, 09:42 AM
If Darren McFadden is really the second coming of Christ, he won't fall. Some team that doesn't need him will take him or some team that does need him will trade up for him.

Sniper
10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
If Darren McFadden is really the second coming of Christ, he won't fall. Some team that doesn't need him will take him or some team that does need him will trade up for him.

Badass performance by McFadden last night. 17 carries, 43 yards, 0 TDs and his team's third loss and somehow more of a Heisman contender than Mike Hart.

A Perfect Score
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Badass performance by McFadden last night. 17 carries, 43 yards, 0 TDs and his team's third loss and somehow more of a Heisman contender than Mike Hart.

lol thats funny...considering earlier in the thread he was getting compared to Bo Jackson. Come on people, lets remember Jackson's measurables: 6'1, 226 lbs. 4.12 Forty Which remains the fastest recorded forty time ever at the combine. that was 1986 btw for those wishing to look it up. So unless DMac is gunna come in and put up those sort of measurables, then i dont think he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Bo. As far as im concerned, DMac isnt even in the same league as AD, but then again AD is one of my favourite college players ever so i mean im a little bias. Heck, even if u put measurables aside, DMac hasnt had a more impressive college career then Bo, so what makes you think he is going to end up the same kind of prospect? It doesnt make sense to me at all

Saints-Tigers
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
He's definitely in the same league as Peterson, but I do like Peterson a lot better.

I'm actually surprised Jackson was only 226, he had the power of a guy that is 240+, burner speed, and just overall is probably the best athlete, or top 5 at least, in NFL history.

Flyboy
10-14-2007, 01:12 PM
He's definitely in the same league as Peterson, but I do like Peterson a lot better.

I definitely don't. I'd take D-Mac over Peterson. But, I'd also take Lynch over AD as well.

Vikes99ej
10-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I still don't know why people say McFadden is a better prospect than Adrian Peterson. It boggles my mind.

Saints-Tigers
10-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I still don't know why people say McFadden is a better prospect than Adrian Peterson. It boggles my mind.

Agreed, I can see more than a few things Peterson does better, and I can't think of an area that McFadden outshines AD.

bearsfan_51
10-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Like I said before, the Raiders could have taken Peterson #1 and I wouldn't have blinked.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Agreed, I can see more than a few things Peterson does better, and I can't think of an area that McFadden outshines AD.

Speed.......

Geo
10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I like DMC, but it's always been my opinion that AD was/is clearly the better prospect. McFadden will get drafted sooner though, as each Draft is different.

I do think runningback is worth a Top 5/10 pick though. Look at what some of these guys are doing, Edgerrin James came into the league and produced one of the best rookie and sophomore seasons ever to help the Colts create the biggest turnaround in league history (3-13 in 98, 13-3 in 99) and go to the playoffs for those two years. LaDainian Tomlinson has been the driving force of the San Diego Chargers franchise as a whole, Reggie Bush is a playmaking cog in the Saints' resurgence, Ronnie Brown is the Dolphins offense right now, and so on and so on beyond those quick examples off the top of my head.

Heck, Steven Jackson fell to the 24th overall pick in 2004. Go figure.

Saints-Tigers
10-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Speed.......

WEll, AD ran a 4.38 right? So I would think McFadden would have to top that by a significant amount to separate himself... and I'm not sure he will.

Flyboy
10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I like DMC, but it's always been my opinion that AD was/is clearly the better prospect. McFadden will get drafted sooner though, as each Draft is different.

I do think runningback is worth a Top 5/10 pick though. Look at what some of these guys are doing, Edgerrin James came into the league and produced one of the best rookie and sophomore seasons ever to help the Colts create the biggest turnaround in league history (3-13 in 98, 13-3 in 99) and go to the playoffs for those two years. LaDainian Tomlinson has been the driving force of the San Diego Chargers franchise as a whole, Reggie Bush is a playmaking cog in the Saints' resurgence, Ronnie Brown is the Dolphins offense right now, and so on and so on beyond those quick examples off the top of my head.

Heck, Steven Jackson fell to the 24th overall pick in 2004. Go figure.

Please don't say that around here, Geo.

kkthx

ATLDirtyBirds
10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
WEll, AD ran a 4.38 right? So I would think McFadden would have to top that by a significant amount to separate himself... and I'm not sure he will.

Well, I certainly don't think he will dominate that time. I don't think AD dominates DMac in anything besides Yards after contract though. I think AD is better, but it's very tough to ignore just how good DMac has been in the SEC.

Flyboy
10-14-2007, 02:48 PM
I definitely don't. I'd take D-Mac over Peterson. But, I'd also take Lynch over AD as well.

I like how I state this and then AD goes on to completely destroy the Bears. lawl.

DukeDaGod
10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
AD BABY! This guy is a freak..when he came out I thought the Eric Dickerson comparisons were pretty dead on. He really is amazing. Such a violent runner with so much explosion in his cuts. I predicted he would be a Top 5 back by the end of the season and I may be right. Check the stat line today: 19 car 228 yrds 3 tds vs. Chicago

songofthesword
10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
as far as speed, McFadden is the 2nd fastest person on the team, and it's almost a virtual dead heat with Michael Grant.

also, thoose of you busting on his game last night, lol, ovgiously don't know anything about arkansas football.

Jesus himself couldn't run on a elite defense when your QB can't play in D3 and they have 9 in the box and KNOW you can't pass, and your Head coach keeps calling the same play over and over again expecting different results.

having watched him for what now.. 6ish years, at Oak Grove and now at arkansas, I can tell you 1) he is probably the most durable back I've ever seen 2) He's fast 3) can hit a home run everytime he touches the ball from anyspot on the field 4) can return kicks 5) I promise you he has the strongest arm of any RB in college football.. can put it 45plus yards on a line. IN high school I saw him run away from Elston Forte, who happesn to now be his teammate and throw a bullet across his body for about a 40ish yard touchdown pass.
\
while I agree about the running back not being AS vauable... I would expect nothing less than him to be the first back off the board.. now where that is I dont' know

WCH
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
AD BABY! This guy is a freak..when he came out I thought the Eric Dickerson comparisons were pretty dead on. He really is amazing. Such a violent runner with so much explosion in his cuts. I predicted he would be a Top 5 back by the end of the season and I may be right. Check the stat line today: 19 car 228 yrds 3 tds vs. Chicago
He's currently the NFL's leading rusher, and he's averaging 6.3 yards per carry. In the last two games he's averaged a gaudy 10.5 yards per carry. He's on pace to have the best rookie season ever, with numbers that are just slightly better than Eric Dickerson's rookie numbers.

At this point it's not only difficult to argue that McFadden is better than Peterson; it's difficult to defend the argument that any running back at any level is better than Peterson.

To the original point of the thread though; I do think that it's very possible that he winds up sliding further than expected in the draft. A growing number of teams would prefer to run a two-back system (although they usually wind up settling on the more productive guy). If a team wants to go with a two-back system then drafting a RB high in the draft would be like picking a nickel corner, slot receiver, or SSLB early in the first round. Also, the opinions that NFL teams hold on these prospects vary a lot more than draft experts would like you to think. A number of teams graded Joey Harrington as a second-day pick, some teams took Ki-Jana Carter off of their draft boards altogether (it was known that he had a degenerative knee problem), and it's believed by many that multiple teams thought Kevin Kolb was the top QB in last years draft. And finally, the Dolphins, Bills, Rams, and Saints don't have serious needs at RB.

With all that said, I don't see McFadden falling out of the top-5 unless he suffers a catastrophic injury.

Scotty D
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
At this point it's not only difficult to argue that McFadden is better than Peterson; it's difficult to defend the argument that any running back at any level is better than Peterson.

I agree. I got a game tomorrow. I get to pick any RB. I'm taking Peterson.

marks01234
10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Like I said before, the Raiders could have taken Peterson #1 and I wouldn't have blinked.

And it would have been the dumbest number one pick in years.

Drafting a running back is so risky because the position is so injury prone. Everybody expected Peterson to be dominant (or at least should have) but the real question is his durability.

I firmly believe you can plug a solid running back into an otherwise very good team and win a championship. See Indy, New England and Pittsburgh.

Scotty D
10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
And it would have been the dumbest number one pick in years.

Drafting a running back is so risky because the position is so injury prone. Everybody expected Peterson to be dominant (or at least should have) but the real question is his durability.

I firmly believe you can plug a solid running back into an otherwise very good team and win a championship. See Indy, New England and Pittsburgh.

Yeah don't the Raiders have the rushing attack in the NFL anyways? Atleast on Saturday they did. I agree with that viewpoint also.

Sniper
10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree. I got a game tomorrow. I get to pick any RB. I'm taking Peterson.

Whoa whoa whoa......I love Peterson and he's amazing, but there's this guy who apparently plays for San Diego who I'm told is good. He apparently has done it for more than 6 games too.

mchesnu
10-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Damn,

Give yourself a little sample-size before proclaiming AD the next Dickerson. The dude has played in 6 games, and is running behind one heck of a line in Minnesota.

Anyone who really thinks AD was a better college running back than D-Mac hasn't really watched D-Mac play, IMO. The dude single-handedly almost beat LSU last year, with 9 in the box, and Nutt calling the plays. That says quite a lot. The dude average 8.7 yds/carry over 20 carries last year against LSU!

Put D-Mac behind the same line that AD ran behind even at OU, and there is absolutely no contest. D-Mac does more, with less surrounding talent, against better defenses.

WCH
10-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Damn,

Give yourself a little sample-size before proclaiming AD the next Dickerson. The dude has played in 6 games, and is running behind one heck of a line in Minnesota.

Anyone who really thinks AD was a better college running back than D-Mac hasn't really watched D-Mac play, IMO. The dude single-handedly almost beat LSU last year, with 9 in the box, and Nutt calling the plays. That says quite a lot. The dude average 8.7 yds/carry over 20 carries last year against LSU!

Put D-Mac behind the same line that AD ran behind even at OU, and there is absolutely no contest. D-Mac does more, with less surrounding talent, against better defenses.

Hold the phone..."on pace to have the best rookie season ever..." does not equal "is the next Dickerson."

Dickerson is almost single-handedly responsible for the myth of the 25 carry per game RB. Only 5 RBs in NFL history have averaged 25 carries per game, and at least three of them never had another good season (the jury is out on Larry Johnson, but things aren't looking good for him so far). Dickerson was the epitome of durability. He lead the NFL in rushes 3 times, finishing in the top-five six times, and didn't see his yards/carry drop below 4.0 until his 9th season. The man is seventh in career rushes and sixth in all-time yards.

Peterson won't be able to hold up to the type of pounding that Dickerson held up to -- nobody in NFL history has held up to the pounding that Dickerson took. Peterson probably won't finish with the type of numbers that Dickerson finished with. In fact, Peterson is as likely to fizzle (a la Cadillac Williams) or suffer a devastating injury (see: Terrell Davis) as he is to wind up in Canton.

With that said, it's still highly unlikely (if Peterson does even half as well in his last 11 games as he's done in his first 5) that McFadden will be able to match his rookie productivity.

Staubach12
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Whoa whoa whoa......I love Peterson and he's amazing, but there's this guy who apparently plays for San Diego who I'm told is good. He apparently has done it for more than 6 games too.

THANK YOU! You people are making me sick. AD is the best in the NFL? What?!?!?!? Get a grip.

bearsfan_51
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I think we may also be overestimating Chicago's defense. Our secondary is TERRRRRRRRRIBLE right now, especially at the safety position. We were practically playing 11 on 8, which is why AD broke three huge runs.

Take away his 3 TD runs and he had 17 carries for 49 yards.

Now I'm not crying over spilled milk, I'm not trying to make excuses, or any of that. But you can chalk up a large part of that to having two absolutely terrible, dogshit safties. Once he broke the first level he was gone and there was no stopping him. The idea that he is consistantly hard to contain is false. Then again...no back is.

Jughead10
10-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not ready to crown Peterson the best of anything yet in the NFL, although I do love having him in fantasy. But I think McFadden is, at this point, extremely overrated, and there is no doubt in my mind that Peterson will be hands down the better pro than him.

songofthesword
10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
put it in persepctive.

alot of you guys really, REALLY have no idea how bad mcfadden has it.

or Jones for that matter.

Arkansas runs plays, looks up, and there are 7 in the box, and the two safties not paying the damndest attention to the pass. on 90% of all plays, there are 9 people if not more concentrating on the run. 9 SEC defensive players at that.

Alot of you toute dorsey as the best player in the country. did any of you bother to watch the LsU Arkansas game last year? McFadden went apeshit on the entire LSU defense, while the QB went freakin 3 for 17 with 29 yards, 2 INT's FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!

Macfadden had more passing yards than the QB (40)

and if it weren't for a special teams F up, giving up a TD with 3 mintues left to that fast holiday kid, we beat LSU.

if you can possily look at mcfadden and tell me there isa better running back in the country now, then you don't deserve to be on this site, becuase you are pathetic when it comes to scouting anything

songofthesword
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
oh and the reason he had that piss poor game, besides the lack of a good oline this year, is because he has extremely sore ribs. not cracked or anything but they are very sore, which comes from running the ball 40 times against Alabama and another 30 against kentucky... and still loosing.

damn we need a new coach

Finsfan79
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
someone will trade up to get him most likely.

toonsterwu
10-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Because of the position, I'd never rule it out that a RB slips ...

that said, due to the paucity at the top of the draft, I don't expect it ...

soybean
10-17-2007, 12:17 AM
i doubt he drops. So far he looks like the BPA. If the teams at top already have top runningbacks they'll probably just trade down with a team that wants him.

I don't see him dropping unless he has a bad 40 time which is also unlikely.