PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight.

mikehop05
10-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Not picking Russ / Whiz for the HC spot.

Letting Joey Go.

Starting / Signing Mahan.

Giving Bruce the keys to the offense.

I think we all can agree that these have all been good moves by the steelers organization. Especially the Joey porter move.

Other thoughts?

Jakey
10-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I agree, i think they were all good moves. The only one that bothered me at the time, was letting Joey go (one of my fav' players). But looking at his performance this year, and the way that Harrison has played, its pretty obvious that it was the right move to make. People said that the defence wouldnt be the same without a 'vocal leader' and they were right... its even better! :D I loved the Tomlin pick, and i think change was needed. Grimm/Whisenhunt would have been the safe choice, but i dont think they would have been the right choice. One thing ive learned being as a Steelers fan is to trust the organisation, regardless of your personal views- becuse they are usually right.

skarocksoi
10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Whiz could have been a good coach for us as he's doing a pretty good job in AZ, but I agree that Tomlin was the better choice for the organization. We could lose the rest of our games and miss the playoffs and I would still think he's the man for the job. We really needed a change of pace and we got it.

Man_Of_Steel
10-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Not picking Russ / Whiz for the HC spot.

Letting Joey Go.

Starting / Signing Mahan.

Giving Bruce the keys to the offense.

I think we all can agree that these have all been good moves by the steelers organization. Especially the Joey porter move.

Other thoughts?

All were good moves except the ludacris signing of Mahan who hasnt played well and is sorely overpaid.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 07:45 PM
All were good moves except the ludacris signing of Mahan who hasnt played well and is sorely overpaid.

I disagree. Mahan was the best interior Offensive lineman free agent we could find.

Okobi sucked so bad that he couldn't beat out an injured Al Johnson or UDFA Lyle Sendlein in Arizona.

Stapleton isn't ready for the big show. But he's getting there.

Mahan signed for 3.5M a year. Thats cheap for how bad the Vikes, Bills, Cowboys and Browns paid for Upper Tier guards (nearly 7M a year, twice what Mahan costs).

Mahan has been solid, not spectacular, and he's not being payed to be spectacular. He's being payed to be a solid Veteran.

Lest we not forget he's also played the last 2.5 Games on a sprained knee.. Halfway through the 3rd game (SF), their NT rolled up on his knee. He's had a sprained knee and played with a brace ever since.

Mahan has played well. He's not amazing, but like I said, we didn't pay for amazing. We payed for Solid Veteran and thats what we're getting.

Unless you thought Okobi could've done a better job... I would lose a little respect for your opinion though.

I'm sorry he's not Hartings, Dawson.. We haven't gotten another one like that, but again, he's actually one of the most consistent OL we have. Marvel is the only 1 I'd rank as more consistent. Faneca, Simmons and Colon haven't been very consistent.

Man_Of_Steel
10-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I disagree. Mahan was the best interior Offensive lineman free agent we could find.

Okobi sucked so bad that he couldn't beat out an injured Al Johnson or UDFA Lyle Sendlein in Arizona.

Stapleton isn't ready for the big show. But he's getting there.

Mahan signed for 3.5M a year. Thats cheap for how bad the Vikes, Bills, Cowboys and Browns paid for Upper Tier guards (nearly 7M a year, twice what Mahan costs).

Mahan has been solid, not spectacular, and he's not being payed to be spectacular. He's being payed to be a solid Veteran.

Lest we not forget he's also played the last 2.5 Games on a sprained knee.. Halfway through the 3rd game (SF), their NT rolled up on his knee. He's had a sprained knee and played with a brace ever since.

Mahan has played well. He's not amazing, but like I said, we didn't pay for amazing. We payed for Solid Veteran and thats what we're getting.

Unless you thought Okobi could've done a better job... I would lose a little respect for your opinion though.

I'm sorry he's not Hartings, Dawson.. We haven't gotten another one like that, but again, he's actually one of the most consistent OL we have. Marvel is the only 1 I'd rank as more consistent. Faneca, Simmons and Colon haven't been very consistent.

What else is new. How anyone can say Mahan is doing a "good enough" job and in hindsight approve the pickup is blinded. We are all the Steelers fans but tone down your homerism just abit.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 11:33 PM
What else is new. How anyone can say Mahan is doing a "good enough" job and in hindsight approve the pickup is blinded. We are all the Steelers fans but tone down your homerism just abit.

My homerism?

He has been the 2nd most consistent OL we've got. Colon is off and on. Simmons rarely shows up. Faneca doesn't seem to be trying.

I've played on a sprained knee and I know how much it can hamper your ability.

You're knocking the signing. While he's not an all-pro, he's a very serviceable veteran in his prime. He's never going to be great or even above average. He's solid and for what we paid, anything more than solid would be a blessing.

I mean, unless you prefer Okobi or a 275lb UDFA doing whats he's doing a solid job of.

If you don't like him, fine. He's not great, but at 3.5/yr, and the ONLY other choices being Okobi or Stapleton.. I sign him 10/10 times.

Smooth Criminal
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Theres always getting a center in the draft. I don't mind the Mahan signing but I would like to see them find his replacement though. I don't think Stapleton is it. I'd give Stapleton another year to see if he improves then look for a first day center.

Mr. Stiller
10-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Theres always getting a center in the draft. I don't mind the Mahan signing but I would like to see them find his replacement though. I don't think Stapleton is it. I'd give Stapleton another year to see if he improves then look for a first day center.

The best center in the NCAA is a freshman. His name is Kris O'Dowd of USC.

However we got away from our formula of great OC's.

Guards. Webby, Dirt and Hartings were Awesome OG's in College. It seems C's are getting too athletic and not strong enough.

Hell Larry Zierlein wanted Justin Blalock for Center last year.

What we need to look for is aa OG with a shell shocking hand punch. Like, a guy that can just knock you on your ass, thats how powerful his instant-snap punch is.

And then Slide him to guard...

Kris O'Dowd is damn good.

I like Pollak of ASU.. and I'm looking at Jeremy Perry of Oregon State for next year (6'2 315lbs amazing snap-punch.)

PittPete
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm more impressed with Mahan than I thought I would be. He seems technically sound but lacks muscle. Coupled with Simmons that makes the inside of our line weak. In fact, the move that bothers me the most is the huge contract simmons got when he is clearly our biggest flaw on the line. Ben is on line to setting a Steelers sack record and that takes into account all the times he has broken away from their grasp. Most breakdowns seem to be coming from Simmons area.

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm more impressed with Mahan than I thought I would be. He seems technically sound but lacks muscle. Coupled with Simmons that makes the inside of our line weak. In fact, the move that bothers me the most is the huge contract simmons got when he is clearly our biggest flaw on the line. Ben is on line to setting a Steelers sack record and that takes into account all the times he has broken away from their grasp. Most breakdowns seem to be coming from Simmons area.

I agree. I'm more appalled by the Steelers extension of Simmons than the Mahan signing.

unfortunately I think the FO freaked when they saw the poor play and thought about how they have to bring in 2 guards and could very well have 2 rookies starting next year.

Although it is impressive that we're holding teams to the least amount of points after 5 weeks in all of Steelers history. 47.

Jakey
10-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Everything ive seen of Mahan has been good, i havent seen any drop of from last year, if anything he's playing better than Hartings (with banged up knees) played last year. So ive got no problem with that decision.

Man_Of_Steel
10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Everything ive seen of Mahan has been good, i havent seen any drop of from last year, if anything he's playing better than Hartings (with banged up knees) played last year. So ive got no problem with that decision.

Wow, are you kidding me? Mahan cant even sniff the level of play Hartings was at.

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, are you kidding me? Mahan cant even sniff the level of play Hartings was at.

Mahan isn't being paid to do so.

I understand he's not some pro-bowler or vet.

However with that said, Mahan is outplaying Hartings of Last year. Not because Hartings was bad, he just didn't have any knee's left.

But still we as fans are spoiled when you think of the traditions.. 3 OC's since 1969, 3 coaches since 1967.. etc.

Mahan is a vet, and he was the only guy we could get to be a solid replacement of Hartings.

I'm sorry he's not all-pro, but an all-pro wouldn't have signed for 3.5 per.

steelernation77
10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
My homerism?

He has been the 2nd most consistent OL we've got. Colon is off and on. Simmons rarely shows up. Faneca doesn't seem to be trying.

I've played on a sprained knee and I know how much it can hamper your ability.

You're knocking the signing. While he's not an all-pro, he's a very serviceable veteran in his prime. He's never going to be great or even above average. He's solid and for what we paid, anything more than solid would be a blessing.

I mean, unless you prefer Okobi or a 275lb UDFA doing whats he's doing a solid job of.

If you don't like him, fine. He's not great, but at 3.5/yr, and the ONLY other choices being Okobi or Stapleton.. I sign him 10/10 times.

Agreed, Mahan was the best option available. While he's not dominating, he's doing enough. However, I do think we should draft a center this year. It doesn't necessarily have to be a college center, we could convert a guard.

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Agreed, Mahan was the best option available. While he's not dominating, he's doing enough. However, I do think we should draft a center this year. It doesn't necessarily have to be a college center, we could convert a guard.

I'm waiting to 2009. Jeremy Perry would be literally perfect.

Great speed, Great hand punch, good explosion off the ball, and he's a beast getting to the second level.

I'd like to get a Perry like Conversion for a year and when he's ready then you have Mahan, Simmons, Kemo and Colon to deal with who plays what.. thats a good problem to have.

Jakey
10-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I know he's nothing compared to the level Hartings used to play at, but last year Hartings wasnt playing that great anyway. And who else would have replaced him?

I wouldnt have minded Samson Satele this year, i think he's gonna be a beast.

Man_Of_Steel
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Mahan isn't being paid to do so.

However with that said, Mahan is outplaying Hartings of Last year. Not because Hartings was bad, he just didn't have any knee's left.

If you honestly believe that Mahan is playing better than Hartings last year you have not watch a Steelers game in the last two years.

skarocksoi
10-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Hartings was horrible last year. If anything we have the same situation as last year with our center and simmons being the weak points in the interior. I think Mahan is doing a respectable job, and Simmons is better than last year, but not as good as he could be. I'm a Penn State guy and will always rep my school, but Hartings had nothing left last year. Everyone knew it, and thats why he retired.

It was probably easy to overlook Hartings play with how poorly everyone else was doing aside from faneca, but he was not the Jeff Hartings of old.

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
If you honestly believe that Mahan is playing better than Hartings last year you have not watch a Steelers game in the last two years.

Have you? Mahan is playing better than Hartings did Last year, when his knee's literally gave out.

I never say he played as well or better than 2005 or earlier Jeff Hartings.. Only better than 2006.

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I know he's nothing compared to the level Hartings used to play at, but last year Hartings wasnt playing that great anyway. And who else would have replaced him?

I wouldnt have minded Samson Satele this year, i think he's gonna be a beast.

I like Satele, But I'm telling you Jeremy Perry in 2009 is the model Guard to C conversion.