PDA

View Full Version : The Vikings new QB

Zbikowski_9
10-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Obviously there is need for change at the position.
I myself do not think that the answer lies in the top 5-7 of the draft, where we will probably be drafting. I would rather see that pick go on value to get either Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, Kenny Philips ect.

I think the answer is a veteran, and there are a number of options that i have floating around.

Free Agency

Rex Grossman - No thank you
Tony Romo - Will be locked up
Chris Simms - Possible back up - good upside

Possible Cuts

McNabb - Doubt he will get cut, but i would jump all over the oppurtunity
Pennignton - Would be a good veteran to play while the future qb develops.

Restricted Free Agency

Derek Anderson - Will have high compensation
Charlie Frye - I still dont mind him, he is mobile and could fit our scheme - i wouldn't give up ,much though.

Pre Trade Deadline Trade

Pennignton - if we could get him for a third i would jump all over it, if we had a solid QB we would be 3-1 at least.

J.P Losman - I would love this but doubt the chances, He is still young so he could be the long term guy in Minni, nice and mobile, strong arm but maybe a victem of and untimley injury and a step up of Edwards.

So lets hear it. Who do yyou want under centre, next year or this year?

The Dynasty
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Dont Say ud love to see Losman. He isnt that great of a QB. He has a good WR and cant even hit him. I dont know maybe because im surrounded by buffalo news but idk. I would love to see pennington tho.

Crazy_Chris
10-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think its obvious yet that we have need there we need to let Tarvaris have a shot too many people assume he is nothing the guy has only started 4 games lets atleast let him start around 10 before we start assuming things. And i reall don't like any of those options outside of McNabb.

However if Tarvaris doesn't show any progression throughout the season, Matt Ryan is the QB I would like to draft next year. He has everything you look for in a franchise QB good size, decent decision making, Good touch on the ball, he's accurate, he can throw well on the move, and best of all he has a very quick release.

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Let's see what T-Jack can do today against Chicago.

crazyisme
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
tjack played well, he made some nice throws and made a lot of good decisions and controlled the game. He probably will never be a Manning or Brady, but if he can be someone to control the game and move the offense, with our running game and our defense (well at least our rush D) we could be competitive

10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
tavaris jackson once again is another case of a QB being rushed into action..i thought he was supposed to be a developmental QB that wouldnt see the field til year 2 or 3 atleast.

Crazy_Chris
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
IMO T-jack earned a pass with his play this week now to see what he does with the cowboys defense it should be a good test. Not that they have an amazing secondary but they have a very good #1 corner in Newman and they are very good at bringing the pressure. Im not expecting him to do much but if he doesn't turn it over i will be estatic.

yo123
10-16-2007, 07:57 PM
tavaris jackson once again is another case of a QB being rushed into action..i thought he was supposed to be a developmental QB that wouldnt see the field til year 2 or 3 atleast.

Thats how it was supposed to be...but we didnt realize just how bad Brad Johnson really is.

This is one of the reasons I think people are really jumping to conclusions when it comes to Jackson. People are forgetting that when we drafted him we had no intention of him even playing at his point in his career. He was definetly a project coming out and to think that hes reached his ceiling is pretty premature IMO. We just need to ride it out this year with him. Its not going to be pretty this year, but I dont think anyone can deny that he has the skillset to be a very good QB, he just needs to learn the mental part of the game, and that takes much much longer than 7 starts, especially for a 1AA quarterback.

He did show me a lot of promise in last weeks game, if only our receivers could catch the ball he would have been around 14-22 with close to 200 yards and no INTS, which as Vikes fans have been saying all along is the most important thing by far, especially this early in his development.

TimD
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Dont Say ud love to see Losman. He isnt that great of a QB. He has a good WR and cant even hit him. I dont know maybe because im surrounded by buffalo news but idk. I would love to see pennington tho.

oh god no you wouldn't... maybe he needs a new team but he's been garbage this year

The Dynasty
10-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Pennington isnt a deep passer and thats what we need. We just need a QB who can throw dink dunk passes and then let the WR do. Pennington Could be able to do that.

yo123
10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Pennington isnt a deep passer and thats what we need. We just need a QB who can throw dink dunk passes and then let the WR do. Pennington Could be able to do that.

I agree. Pennington is still very accurate inside of 20-25 yards.

KWill93
10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Andre Woodson, this team isn't going anywhere until we can find another top QB through the draft.

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 12:40 AM
I would be disapointed if we drafted Andre Woodson to be honest. His spotty Mechanics and Slow Release worry me.

wogitalia
10-22-2007, 01:17 AM

It wont matter if the receivers can't catch the ball. Really we are better off just throwing hail marys and hoping someone catches them than having us knocking balls up in the air in front of the safeties.

I was one of the people big on the Brady Quinn wagon last year but TJ has impressed me. He played stupid against Detroit, but has been pretty solid other than that. Was very good against the Bears. I do wish he would back his legs more though, I have more faith in his wheels than in our wide outs hands...

nemesis3394
10-22-2007, 01:30 AM
I would be disapointed if we drafted Andre Woodson to be honest. His spotty Mechanics and Slow Release worry me.

so you'd rather have tj than basically a clone of jason campbell?

swagger
10-22-2007, 02:31 AM
I want Matt Ryan somehow, but I don't want to sink a 1st rounder on a quarterback and Ryan seems to have surpassed 1st-2nd round fringe status to surefire 1st round pick.

My dream come true in the draft would be Kenny Phillips early in round 1 and then trading up and getting Matt Ryan somewhere after later in round 1. It'll never happen but I can dream...

thule
10-22-2007, 03:01 AM
so you'd rather have tj than basically a clone of jason campbell?

its funny u say this...because any rookie QB brought in won't get to be eased in like Campbell....hell Tavaris wasn't suppose to play till year 2 or 3 and it only took a half a year....funny how you can compare prospects like they'll have the same output no matter what the circumstances.

nemesis3394
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
its funny u say this...because any rookie QB brought in won't get to be eased in like Campbell....hell Tavaris wasn't suppose to play till year 2 or 3 and it only took a half a year....funny how you can compare prospects like they'll have the same output no matter what the circumstances.

its true that tj was thrown to the wolves and he is still extremely raw but wouldnt you think that even woodson would complete more than six passes a game?

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Nope i don't think woodson would complete more passes, not yesterday When the line was just letting the Cowboys pass rush come right on through. While at the same time the Viking WR couldnt get open to save their lives. And Andre Woodson definatly wouldn't have done much better in the bears game where Every Reciever dropped just about every pass Thrown to them.

And about the comment up there yea actually i would rather stick with TJ than take Woodson because i don't want woodson at all. If we were to take another QB Early in the Draft I would be fine with Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm.

NATIONALchamps
10-23-2007, 12:19 AM
offseason plans

draft QB

draft big penetrator defensive tackle a player who just gets the jobs done

draft a cornerback that is at least 6'2

draft a safety that is no bigger that 6'2

nemesis3394
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Nope i don't think woodson would complete more passes, not yesterday When the line was just letting the Cowboys pass rush come right on through. While at the same time the Viking WR couldnt get open to save their lives. And Andre Woodson definatly wouldn't have done much better in the bears game where Every Reciever dropped just about every pass Thrown to them.

And about the comment up there yea actually i would rather stick with TJ than take Woodson because i don't want woodson at all. If we were to take another QB Early in the Draft I would be fine with Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm.

what makes Ryan and Brohm so much better than Woodson? He's at least proven that he can beat a #1 team and put up very good competition against the best in the country while the other two are playing mediocre teams at best

Crazy_Chris
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Woodson is so vastly over rated I don't care if he beat LSU because honestly when i watched him do so i wasn't that impressed with his performance neither was i impressed last week against Florida I watched him throw the ball out of bounds in the endzone a few times that would have been easy TD's the reciever was wide open but woodson missed him i saw it happen twice and than i stoped watching... Overall when i watch woodson play there is absolutly nothing about his play that screams Franchise QB to me... None of the Quaterbacks scream franchise QB to me but the best of the bunch is Matt Ryan

However if Tarvaris doesn't show any progression throughout the season, Matt Ryan is the QB I would like to draft next year. He has everything you look for in a franchise QB good size, decent decision making, Good touch on the ball, he's accurate, he can throw well on the move, and best of all he has a very quick release.