PDA

View Full Version : Article On How Stupid BCS Is

kwilk103
10-14-2007, 03:06 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AkQlQ6K_LY9ZPCW3im0PxPw5nYcB?slug=dw-bcs101307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

some good points that have been discussed on here (usf sched vs osu sched, etc)

Xiomera
10-14-2007, 08:06 AM
The BCS is officially broken.

I am praying for Hawaii and South Florida to be the only two undefeated teams.

RyanLeaf#1
10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
The BCS is officially broken.

I am praying for Hawaii and South Florida to be the only two undefeated teams.

If they are the only 2 undefeated teams what are you expecting?

HoopsDemon12
10-16-2007, 04:37 PM
well i think this shows the flaws in the system for sure.. a 8 team playoff or so would be cool

DoWnThEfiElD
10-16-2007, 09:35 PM
How about people realize bowl games are worthless??? Where else is a championship decided 50 days after the end of a teams season?? Bowl games are a reward for the players, and the schools get money, thats it.

Green Bay Scat
10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
i like the idea of 1vs4 and 2vs3, then a (1or4)vs(2or3)

TimD
10-16-2007, 10:32 PM
i like the idea of 1vs4 and 2vs3, then a (1or4)vs(2or3)

there will be problems of how to rank the teams... there will always be problems, but yes the bcs does suck

BucSappy
10-16-2007, 10:45 PM
It sucks no matter how you slice it, playoff or not.

In a plus one, there will be a lot of debate as to who deserves the 3 and 4 spots, etc. In an 8 team playoff, there will be debate as to who gets in.

I like the way it is now, because a playoff only takes away from the grandeur in the regular season of NCAA Football.

P-L
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
It sucks no matter how you slice it, playoff or not.

In a plus one, there will be a lot of debate as to who deserves the 3 and 4 spots, etc. In an 8 team playoff, there will be debate as to who gets in.

I like the way it is now, because a playoff only takes away from the grandeur in the regular season of NCAA Football.

In the NCAA Basketball Tournament there is debate as to who gets in. That doesn't change the fact that it's a good format. I'd much rather there be debate between the #4/#5 team or the #8/#9 team than I would between the #2/#3 team.

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
I love the BCS. There, I said it.

I don't care if the best team wins the championship quite frankly. It's college. These kids aren't being paid anyway. They don't get a bonus if they win the NC, and I could care less about the coaches who make way too much money anyway.

It makes the regular season so exciting and fun to watch. It makes every game count. It makes Stanford beating USC a HUGE game.

The only thing I could do without is the first 20 bowl games. I don't care about the 7th team from the Big Ten versus the 6th team from the ACC. Give me the bowl games that have smaller conference winners (ie: MAC, C-USA, etc) and the New Years bowl games.

Other than that, the ratings speak, don't change it.

duckseason
10-17-2007, 05:41 AM
I think the BCS was an ok concept that has been poorly executed. There's got to be a way to come up with more consistently accurate rankings. I think we should do away with human polls that aren't done by objective minds who know football in and out and watch every meaningful game of every week. Good luck with that. A coaches poll has no place in a legitimate ranking system. We may as well just let fans vote. The computers need to be consolidated into one that has a very precise formula. Perhaps the NCAA could enlist a brain trust headed by Dr. Bob to come up with as accurate a formula as possible. Really though, I just don't think accurate rankings in college football are achievable. I love this game how it is, but the only way to determine a true national champion is to have a playoff whose participants are determined by the most accurate method possible.

My ideal scenario would involve a tournament of conference champions. Each conference can determine their champ however they like, but they only get to send one member to the tournament. If you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't be eligible to win the national title. Nebraska's fraudulent ass is evidence of that. I think this would help preserve the whole 'every game is huge' factor that we all love so much about college football. This would also help in furthering the parity shift that we've seen in recent years. The seeding could be determined by a bcs type ranking system, or perhaps solely based on your strength of wins vs out of conference opponents. I would love to see more incentive for programs to schedule tough out of conference opponents. I'm sick of seeing certain teams beat up on patsies throughout the year while other top programs are penalized for failing to impress with fraudulent 70s dotting their results list while preserving their players in the process. Nowhere are stats more misleading than in college football. Solid teams who play a weak schedule have numerous advantages over teams who face legitimate tests on a regular basis. These are just a few of the reasons why a playoff is needed in order to inject a bit of legitimacy into the college football supremacy. As it is, we've got individual groups of teams who play each other year in and year out while rarely proving themselves against the majority. Going into the championship game, we have no way of knowing whether or not the two teams on the field would have survived had they been in another group. So let the best from each group go at it. Use the season to determine who the best from each group is, and then use a 3 week playoff to determine a truly deserving #1.

NYGibril28
10-17-2007, 07:04 AM
24 Team playoff

ACC Champions
Big East Champion
Conference USA Champion
MAC Champion
Pac-10 Champion
Sun Belt Champion
Big 10 Champion
Big 12 Champion
Mountain West Champion
SEC Champion
WAC Champion

and then the best 13 teams after that decided on by a committee.

8 team would get a bye

1st Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

2nd Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

3rd Week- 4 games, played on Saturday

4th Week- 2 games, played on Saturday

5th Week- National Championship, played on Monday Night

It would last until mid-January at most. Keep the Bowl Games for teams who didn't make it.

bustabinary
10-17-2007, 05:05 PM
If there were a playoff, I think this would be the best/least drastic way:

1. Expand all 6 power conferenes to 12 teams
2. Conference championships for Big East, Big 10, Pac 10
3. 8 team playoff, 2 spots for Mid-major conferences. Could even make a play-in for those 2 spots between all 5 of the mid majors (one mid major could probably be dissolved if the 6 power conferences all had 12 teams). Could even use human polls for seeding. Throw in consolation bowl games for every else.

Could always try something very different, but I think this would be an easier transition.

badgerbacker
10-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm with Bearsfan_51. The BCS needs to stay. Some of these playoff systems that are being suggested would have the teams playing way too many games. This isn't the NFL. Also, everybody loves to rip the BCS and how terrible it is. This is exactly why it needs to stay. It gives everyone something to talk and complain about even though it is a much better system than everyone gives it credit for.

The best part about the college football season is that every game matters. If some kind of playoff system was created and all you had to do was win your conference, the regular season wouldn't mean as much as it does now. I say the BCS needs to stay for good.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I totally agree with what you are saying but with that comes the fact people then have to realize that bowl games mean nothing, and are only about money for the schools, and truely shouldn't decide any championship.

P-L
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
There are only two possible playoff scenarios. A Plus One system or an 8 team playoff. Any more teams, without shortening the regular season would be too much.

On another thought, can you guys imagine if Ohio State loses and BC and USF run the table? That would be a nightmare for college football.

bearsfan_51
10-17-2007, 09:31 PM
24 Team playoff

ACC Champions
Big East Champion
Conference USA Champion
MAC Champion
Pac-10 Champion
Sun Belt Champion
Big 10 Champion
Big 12 Champion
Mountain West Champion
SEC Champion
WAC Champion

and then the best 13 teams after that decided on by a committee.

8 team would get a bye

1st Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

2nd Week- 8 games, played on Thursday night and Saturday

3rd Week- 4 games, played on Saturday

4th Week- 2 games, played on Saturday

5th Week- National Championship, played on Monday Night

It would last until mid-January at most. Keep the Bowl Games for teams who didn't make it.
These are college kids. They are unpaid, and it's their Christmas break. That would never ever fly.

BuddyCHRIST
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not a big fan of the BCS, but a playoff system is a horrible idea. It would ruin college football, rivalries would become 10x less important and the regular season would lose all of its luster. An annoying thing about the NFL is to win the superbowl, all you have to be is the best team for 4 games, what you did in the regular season doesn't matter. There ends up being too many throw away games after teams clinch spots. I think they should just get rid of the BCS, and let the polls decide, but not have the bowl lock ins like they had pre-BCS where Nebraska and Michigan split. If there's 3 undefeated teams, then get over it, gives people something to talk about.

Twiddler
10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of the BCS, but a playoff system is a horrible idea. It would ruin college football, rivalries would become 10x less important and the regular season would lose all of its luster. An annoying thing about the NFL is to win the superbowl, all you have to be is the best team for 4 games, what you did in the regular season doesn't matter. There ends up being too many throw away games after teams clinch spots. I think they should just get rid of the BCS, and let the polls decide, but not have the bowl lock ins like they had pre-BCS where Nebraska and Michigan split. If there's 3 undefeated teams, then get over it, gives people something to talk about.

True, while I may not always enjoy certain aspects of the BCS system, the feeling that every game is very important is something that is unique when compared to a playoff format such as in the NFL. But I am kind of rooting for a BC-USF title game is it would be great to see two unknowns at the beginning of the year battle it out for the top spot.

yourfavestoner
10-21-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm with Bearsfan_51. The BCS needs to stay. Some of these playoff systems that are being suggested would have the teams playing way too many games. This isn't the NFL. Also, everybody loves to rip the BCS and how terrible it is. This is exactly why it needs to stay. It gives everyone something to talk and complain about even though it is a much better system than everyone gives it credit for.

The best part about the college football season is that every game matters. If some kind of playoff system was created and all you had to do was win your conference, the regular season wouldn't mean as much as it does now. I say the BCS needs to stay for good.

Do you realize how incredibly hard that is in the tougher conferences?

JT Jag
10-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Keep using the BCS ranking system.

The top 8 teams go into an 8-team playoff which is played out over a 6-week span (there would be two open weeks before the championship game, from a few days before Christmas to a week after the first). The playoff would start immediately after the conference championship games are completed, and would be seeded based on end of season BCS ranking.

Everyone else plays bowl games.

nfrillman
10-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Says fan of a Big 10 Conference team, year in year out one of the weakest and most overrated of the major conferences, along with the Big East and ACC. An example of how ridiculous the BCS is, Kansas appears to be Missouri's biggest threat in the North, but because of the BCS Missouri needs their main competition to remain undefeated until they play Missouri. How much sense can a system make when a team must root for their main rival to continue to win, because for some reason how well their rival plays goes a long way in deciding how good you are. If Kansas remains undefeated then Missouri beat them, Missouri will be allowed to play in a bigger bowl. Yes I mean allowed, because BCS allows two teams to take part in a championship.

I agree with the idea of a tournament of all conference champions. Make the conferences that do not have a championship game play one. A rankings system can still be used, and all teams that are not in the tourney can go to bowl games. We would then have a true national champion, as well as bowl games that could feature Oregon, USC, Arizona State, OU, Texas, Missouri, LSU, Florida, WVU, USF, VT, and many others. Yeah, those non-tourney games would definitely not be worth watching with those lousy teams.

bearsfan_51
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Dude the Big 12 is ******* terrible. Gimme a break. The conference has been Texas-Oklahoma and sometimes Nebraska almost since it's inception.

The Big Ten is FAR better than the Big 12 historically.

Besides...I'm sorry but anyone arguing that Missouri is getting cheated out of their shot at the national championship needs to have their head examined.

kwilk103
10-26-2007, 12:03 AM
edit: found it

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/10/25/2007-10-25_west_virginia_can_slip_through_back_door-2.html

There is a chance the Mountaineers (6-1, 1-1), who play Rutgers on Saturday afternoon at Rutgers Stadium (on ABC), may still be able to back-door their way into the national title game even if they don't win the Big East championship, which may be why quarterback Patrick White, running back Steve Slaton and wide receiver Darius Reynaud were going wild in their apartment last Thursday, watching the 25th-ranked Knights during their 30-27 victory over South Florida last Thursday. West Virginia has climbed out of the abyss and back to sixth in both the Coaches and Harris polls, and seventh in the all-important BCS standings. A big win over a ranked team could leave a big impression on voters who had forgotten their name.

there was an article i read in a paper that said theoratically wvu could play in the NC and not win the big east

basically if wvu and usf win out, wvu would be ranked ahead of them; if teams ahead of them (oregon, bc, asu, ou, either lsu or osu) they could slip in as the #2

what would you do then?

nfrillman
10-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Dude the Big 12 is ******* terrible. Gimme a break. The conference has been Texas-Oklahoma and sometimes Nebraska almost since it's inception.

The Big Ten is FAR better than the Big 12 historically.

Besides...I'm sorry but anyone arguing that Missouri is getting cheated out of their shot at the national championship needs to have their head examined.

I never said anything about Missouri getting cheated out of a national championship shot. What I said is that it would be benefitial for Missouri if Kansas remained undefeated until the Missouri game, which shows how utterly ridiculous the system is. Because of the BCS system, Missouri wants their main competition to win. Do you not see how ridiculous a system is when rooting for your rivals takes place in every conference, because strategically it is better for you if they win. That is so incredibly opposite of common sense.

As for the Big 10, how did they fair in their bowl games last season?? Oh yeah, they received blow out after blow out. The Big 10 usually consists of Ohio State which is very good, Michigan and Wisconsin which are okay, then eight teams that range from average to atrocious. The Big 12 ususally consists of Oklahoma and Texas which are very good, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Nebraska which are okay, and the bottom part of the Big 12 is much better than the Big 10. Oklahoma St, Kansas St, Kansas, and Colorado are typically much better than every team in the Big 10 besides OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and sometimes Penn St.

8 of 12 Big 12 teams with winning records
5 of 11 Big 10 teams with winning records

A little research for you. Since 2005 the Big 12 is 7-2 against the Big 10. What's your take on that, record speaks for itself.