PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 ILB's

Dawg4L21
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Which ILB's do you guys think could play in a 3-4 that go in the 2nd/3rd round range?

HoopsDemon12
10-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Vince Hall

Dawg4L21
10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah I was thinking him too you dont think his smaller size could keep him from playing well in a 34?

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah I was thinking him too you dont think his smaller size could keep him from playing well in a 34?

Donnie Edwards, Zach Thomas and Dqwell Jackson disagree.

Hall really reminds me of Zach Thomas.

I think 2-3 Range would be:

Beau Bell, UNLV
Tavares Goodman, Miami
Ezra Butler, Nevada
Curtis Gatewood, Vanderbilt
Jon Goff, Vanderbilt.

A little bit later...

Jeremy Leman, Illinois

darnik44two
10-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Ezra Butler

Jonathan Goff

Man_Of_Steel
10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Ezra Butler

Jonathan Goff

Yup, exactly. Those 2 will be the best taken in that range.

darnik44two
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Yup, exactly. Those 2 will be the best taken in that range.

Goff reminds me a bit of Levon Kirkland

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-14-2007, 09:11 PM
What about Jordan Dizon?

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Goff reminds me a bit of Levon Kirkland

Doesn't remind me of Kirkland...

Hines
10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
if the steelers got butler or goff i will cry of joy..we need some size and speed and some mean looking guys on our defence

YAYareaRB
10-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Definitely.. After seeing Patrick Willis perform in the 3-4 alot more coaches are gonna be paying more attention to the little guy.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2007, 11:28 PM
if the steelers got butler or goff i will cry of joy..we need some size and speed and some mean looking guys on our defence

I want Leman day 2.

Dolfan2788
10-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Definitely.. After seeing Patrick Willis perform in the 3-4 alot more coaches are gonna be paying more attention to the little guy.

The little guy like Thomas, Willis and Edwards have shown that you don't need to be a certain size in the NFL to play in the 3-4. You have to be good to overcome your size, but you can still be a star.

no love
10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
The little guy like Thomas, Willis and Edwards have shown that you don't need to be a certain size in the NFL to play in the 3-4. You have to be good to overcome your size, but you can still be a star.

At 242 lbs Willis is not exactly a little guy, compared to Thomas and Edwards both under 230.

A LOT of it depends on what scheme you are talking about.

When it comes to the run-d its ALL about your NT. Miami has Keith Traylor and SD has Jamal Williams. Both or 340+ and are going to need a double team.
Teams that don't have a bonifide NT such as the Jets, SF, maybe Cardinals, Cleveland all better get a guy that is up to the job or facing up to some offensive guards. Patrick Willis has been amazing for the 49ers because he has been making all kinds of tackles in-spite of the lack of double teaming on our NT but I wouldn't expect that sort of production out of most ilbs, we are talking about the number 11 pick in the draft.

When it comes to blitzing, certain scheme like the Chargers employ a lot of movement on the defensive line, especially with the DE on slants, stunts, etc. to get penetration and be disruptive. This motion makes it easier on ilb to get penetration because of the natural gaps and confusion on the o-line.

Ultimately, I don't know too much about the prospects you are talking about but as the previous poster said, size is not nearly as important as a players ability to shed blocks (though size helps in this department). Even in the most protected schemes the ilb will have to take on his fair share of blocks.

Green Bay Scat
10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I think Goff's best scheme would be a Cover(Tampa) 2. If u watch the games hes very fluid in coverage and is deceptivly fast, almost a (Very?)poor mans Urlacher. He could fit in any scheme but i think cover 2 would be his best

keylime_5
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Maualuga and Connor could be great 3-4 ILBs. Laurinaitis could be a killer 3-4 ILB too, but the cover 2 is more ideal for little animal.

genom
10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Definitely.. After seeing Jonathon Vilma perform in the 3-4 alot more coaches are gonna be paying less attention to the little guy.

There you go.

NYGibril28
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I think Philip Wheeler could perform well in the 3-4. He has the versatility to play any of the LB spots in any scheme, even as a 3-4 rush backer. I think his versatility will really help his stock come next April.

sweetd20
10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I have to agree that Willis isn't that small while Edwards and Thomas are exceptions. Zach might be a smaller LB but can operate in the 3-4 because he's built like a fire hydrant and is excellent at holding his ground and taking on blockers, but he has taken a beating while playing in the 3-4. Edwards while he was in San Diego wasn't used as an attack the line LB. He was a cover first stop the run secong LB and also played behind a good sized front three that kept those big guys off of him.

Klinkenborg won't be a high pick but he's old school and could become a Derek Smith type of LB. I doubt Butler moves inside with his abilty to cause pressure in the backfield. He will most likely be a rush OLB or a situational pass rush DE in the NFL. I'd have to say Goff is the best bet to man the middle in a 3-4 and go early. Although Connor could potentially be a very good ILB in a 3-4 and will go about where Posluszny went last year. Leman will be a nice Day 2 pick if he can show that he can disengage better when an O-lineman gets his hands on him.

D-Unit
10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Beau Bell and Ben Moffitt

scottyboy
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
well this sucks, RU doesnt run a 3-4, i cant make a homeristic comment... or can I?

Eric Foster would be a sweet ILB in a 3-4. He's outstanding at shedding blockers, he quite quick, and his motor is incredible.