PDA

View Full Version : Rumors from Nebraska

bwillie26
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
While all the guys from Lincoln are busying copying the days of the New Orleans Aints, tonight they are poking their heads out from under their brown paper bags at the rumors circulating.

If you head over to any Nebraska board, you can see 2000+ people there, anticipating the news. The rumors circulating is that the largest supporters of the program had a meeting this morning to discuss the direction of the program. In these past years, the boosters were divided into camps who were old school (the ones who still believe Solich should be there) and the ones who wanted to move forward with a more modern approach to our program. Now it seems, all the boosters seem to be unanimous in thinking that not only the entire coaching staff (yes, EVERY coach) needs to go, but also the AD, Steve Pederson needs to be shown the door.

The rumors circulating tonight are that DC Kevin Cosgrove will be shown the door tomorrow, with a possibility of two other coaches following. The others will be shown the door after the Colorado game. But there remains that possibility that Bill Callahan can stick around, if he can somehow revive this season with the coaches he will have remaining.

The other big rumor goes along with the AD, Steve Pederson. It seems almost to be a certain he will be getting the axe, but his rumored replacement has Husker Nation glowing with joy.

Tom Osborne

Rumors are circulating, and it seems there may be some fire with this smoke. Midseason and this team seems like it will be making major changes -- and they need it.

Just no Frank Solich, dammit!

VoteLynnSwan
10-15-2007, 12:09 AM
sweet copy and paste job.

soybean
10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
i guess you were right.

is purging the way to go though?

bwillie26
10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
sweet copy and paste job.

Copy and paste from where?

soybean
10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Copy and paste from where?

there's no way you came up with that by yourself. It's too articulate to be a post on a message board.

bwillie26
10-15-2007, 05:34 PM
soy, yes, it is the way to go. From my understanding, the coaches at Nebraska simply do not get along and it has flowed over to the players which has resulted in what you see now. Changes were going to be made, regardless of who it started with.

Pederson has seemingly PO'd alot of people in his tenure -- and for a while, he got away with it because while the progress was slow, it was there over HCBC's first three years. The football program success (albeit limited) was the only thing saving Pederson's job for the last few years. Now, with allowing 40+ points in 4 out of 5 games, he simply had nothing left to stand on and the axe fell on him.

He may be the first, but he certainly won't be the last, that is for sure.

soybean
10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
soy, yes, it is the way to go. From my understanding, the coaches at Nebraska simply do not get along and it has flowed over to the players which has resulted in what you see now. Changes were going to be made, regardless of who it started with.

Pederson has seemingly PO'd alot of people in his tenure -- and for a while, he got away with it because while the progress was slow, it was there over HCBC's first three years. The football program success (albeit limited) was the only thing saving Pederson's job for the last few years. Now, with allowing 40+ points in 4 out of 5 games, he simply had nothing left to stand on and the axe fell on him.

He may be the first, but he certainly won't be the last, that is for sure.

so callahan might still be coach? If they're that desperate to return to being a top 3 team, they should be on the search for a better headcoach. He's not a BAD coach by any means.

bwillie26
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
there's no way you came up with that by yourself. It's too articulate to be a post on a message board.

no offense, you aren't exactly bearsfan_51.

A very short summation of the state of Nebraska's program is 'too articulate' for me to write? Wow.

See, the thing is, I don't jump in discussion just to see my post count rise -- so really, I'm not like 99 out of 100 posters on this, or any board. If I jump into a discussion, or start one, it is because I actually have something useful to say. Just like on message boards I frequent (Huskerboard and Big Husker Fan) where my combined post total is only around 2000 posts, while being a member for 4+ years.

But really, if you believe all message board posts have to be along the lines of ...

"SWEET! I ALWAYS WANTED THAT GUY"

Or ..

"EFF THE DOLPHINS AND MIAMI!"

... then more power to you, but not everyone is the same.

bwillie26
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
so callahan might still be coach? If they're that desperate to return to being a top 3 team, they should be on the search for a better headcoach. He's not a BAD coach by any means.

From what I have read, if Callahan can somehow get this team back together and into a bowl game, he can buy himself one more season at least.

The thing is, Callahan just signed a multi-year contract -- BUT the boosters have already said that money is no issue. Even so, they do not want to fire Callahan, as he is not the true source of the problem with our team.

I'm almost for certain I can guess the 3 coaches who are seemingly destined to get the ax very soon, but I have been scolded already for posting 'rumors'.

soybean
10-15-2007, 05:46 PM
A very short summation of the state of Nebraska's program is 'too articulate' for me to write? Wow.

See, the thing is, I don't jump in discussion just to see my post count rise -- so really, I'm not like 99 out of 100 posters on this, or any board. If I jump into a discussion, or start one, it is because I actually have something useful to say. Just like on message boards I frequent (Huskerboard and Big Husker Fan) where my combined post total is only around 2000 posts, while being a member for 4+ years.

But really, if you believe all message board posts have to be along the lines of ...

"SWEET! I ALWAYS WANTED THAT GUY"

Or ..

"EFF THE DOLPHINS AND MIAMI!"

... then more power to you, but not everyone is the same.

im not bashing you, it just sounds like a newspaper article. they use to many hyperboles to sound like a normal response.

sorry if i phrased it wrong, or made my response sound like an insult.

If you did in fact write it, good job.

adschofield
10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
im not bashing you, it just sounds like a newspaper article. they use to many hyperboles to sound like a normal response.

sorry if i phrased it wrong, or made my response sound like an insult.

If you did in fact write it, good job.

I don't think that a newspaper article would cite message boards, lol...good job bwillie, it looks like you were right...that infraction should be reversed, IMO

soybean
10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
SI.com quoted or referenced team message boards in their article.

but i think the infraction wasn't based on plagirism, but more so on posting a rumor (which turned out to be true anyways).

i guess if he links the article and then messages DG it'll be reversed.

soybean
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
From what I have read, if Callahan can somehow get this team back together and into a bowl game, he can buy himself one more season at least.

The thing is, Callahan just signed a multi-year contract -- BUT the boosters have already said that money is no issue. Even so, they do not want to fire Callahan, as he is not the true source of the problem with our team.

I'm almost for certain I can guess the 3 coaches who are seemingly destined to get the ax very soon, but I have been scolded already for posting 'rumors'.

i think if they want to be the top dawg in the big 12 they need a coach with more cajones. callahan is a decent coach but the big 12 is starting to becoming incredibly competitive and a new coach with more fire might be just what they need.

bwillie26
10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
soy, I don't think it really matters how much fire (or lack thereof) Callahan has at this point.

For instance, after the Mizzou game, DC Kevin Cosgrove was asked why he didn't tweak his 3-4 alignment after halftime to try to create more pressure on Chase Daniel. Cosgrove responded by saying, "well, you can try, but he's just going to rip you up." Throughout that game, Cosgrove NEVER adjusted his scheme, but stuck with the same thing from start to finish. Even Daniel commented on how stubborn our coaches were.

You go back to the days under Solich, a guy who was very much less than a fiery coach. His assistants were the type of guys who made you want to run through walls for that team, though. Bo Pelini for example, took a team of horrid defenders and made them into a takeaway machine in one year, simply because he was able to get everything out of them.

IMO, that was the biggest mistake we made. The players literally went to Steve Pederson to get Pelini hired after Solich was let go, and he ignored them. Since, you have seen what Pelini has been able to do.

In reality, Callahan has painted himself into a corner. In his time in Oakland, he ticked off the veterans not by calling them 'stupid', but by trying to get them released because of the fact they were all old, and overpaid. That is what started the revolt in Oakland, more than anything.

Now in Lincoln, he relies too much on his friends and people he knows from the past, and refuses to hold them accountable.

In the end, he is really a good guy, a damm smart football coach, but he needs to wise up to quite a few things in this world.

10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
AD pederson was fired so i guess u were right with your sources

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3064861

bwillie26
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Tom Osborne to be named AT LEAST to the "Interim AD" job.

Also, former Osborne defensive coordinator Charlie McBride (last coached in the Fiesta Bowl against Tennessee) has been in Lincoln since Saturday night. Can't post the rumor as to why, because that's a big no-no. :)

D-Fence
10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Watching Nebraska play a passing dominated West Coast style offense and crappy defense makes me want to puke. Bill Callahan isn't the answer in Lincoln, imo...His teams have never put an emphasis on running the football, and he's never been the head coach of a team that actually played defense...

Find a coach that will dedicate himself to bringing back what made Nebraska the perennial powerhouse...Going back to the I-Formation option attack may not be a good idea, but why not modernize it a bit with a spread option offense?

bwillie26
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
^

I agree, except for the point that BC's offense doesn't put an emphasis on running the ball. In his version of the WCO, you run to set up the pass, not vice versa. Heck, his team motto since day 1 has been, "Pound The Rock".

jbeans187
10-18-2007, 03:01 AM
I hope Callahan gets canned. I go to Mizzou and the top 2 Missouri prospects (Blaine Gabbert and Will Compton) are going to Nebraska. They both are coming to Mizzou this weekend for a visit so hopefully they will change their mind.

RockJock07
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I really thought this year was going to be different for the Huskers. I'm a causal fan and with the addition of Keller i thought the offense was going to be better then with Taylor in last year. Purify was amazing last year, this year he hasn't been as good but the biggest problem that Nebraska has had has been on Defense.

In the Big 12 champ game and various points last season, they couldn't stop the pass, the secondary was just awful. They lost alot of help on the D-line and haven't really replaced any of that.

It will be interesting to see what happens because they still have a killer stretch of games coming up, this is do or die time for Bill and in the upcoming seasons they have home and homes with Va Tech and Washington so the road does not get any easier.

bwillie26
10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
jbeans, Compton cancelled his visit.

jbeans187
10-18-2007, 06:00 PM
jbeans, Compton cancelled his visit.

He was at the Miz vs Neb game, and he pushed back his visit to the 27th where we play Iowa St.

holt_bruce81
10-20-2007, 01:19 PM
if Callahan is fired, Gabbert will come to Mizzou........even though i think Blaine Dalton could be better than him in Mizzou's offense

bwillie26
10-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Callahan will be fired. Not a matter of if anymore.

The people who actually know have said he was asked to resign twice last week, but refused both times.

Bo Pelini is the odds on favorite to be hired when Cally is fired.

jbeans187
10-21-2007, 04:13 AM
if Callahan is fired, Gabbert will come to Mizzou........even though i think Blaine Dalton could be better than him in Mizzou's offense

I know this is a neb thread but dalton committed, Gabbert is the next chase patton if he comes to mizzou. I would love him to come, our recruiting class would look great and qb competition is always good, but dalton is a winner

holt_bruce81
10-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I know this is a neb thread but dalton committed, Gabbert is the next chase patton if he comes to mizzou. I would love him to come, our recruiting class would look great and qb competition is always good, but dalton is a winner

Gabbert decommited from Nebraska so it looks like he could be on his way to Mizzou, could bring Compton, Kemp, Harper and Givens with him