PDA

View Full Version : MaddHatter's Week 6 1 Rd (Attempt: 2)

MaddHatter
10-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Order created first based on projected finish to the year.

1st – St. Louis: Glenn Dorsey (DT) LSU
* After picking up Carriker last year, St. Louis brings in Dorsey to shore up it's DT need, replacing the ancient La'Roi Glover.

2nd – Cincinnati: (Trade via Buffalo) Calais Campbell (DE) Miami
* Buffalo has to trade down here and finds a partner in Cincinnati who want's to jump ahead of the Jets and snag the best DE in the draft. Cincinnati moves up 5 spots and it costs them their 07 1st and 07 2nd.

3rd – Miami: Phil Loadholt (OT) Oklahoma
* Miami has a proven RB and an up-and-coming QB, now they need to solidfy their line. They bring in the best OT in this years draft, and one of the few people to completely defuse Miami's Calais Campbell this year. He's rough around the edges, but you can't deny his physical abilities and his technique is getting better every week.

4th – NY Jets: Chris Long (DE) Virginia
* They could have gone a number of ways here, but Chris Long is a solid DE/OLB candidate who could play either position - when Kenyon Coleman is starting at DE for you, you know you have problems.

5th – Atlanta: Darren McFadden (RB) Arkansas
* Norwood/McFadden - it just roles off your tongue so easy... and will be one of the most feared RB Tandems in the NFL for many years to come. They could have gone Brohm here, but I think McFadden is undeniably the BPA here.

6th – Dallas: (Trade via New Orleans) Kenny Phillips (FS) Miami
* Dallas get's savy here and uses 1 stone to kill two birds - using it's 07 1st via CLE and 07 3rd they jump ahead of Philadelphia and snag the best ballhawking Safety in the draft, allowing them to cut Hamlin and prevent a NFC East foe from getting stronger.

7th – Buffalo: (Trade via Cincinnati) Dan Connor (OLB) Penn State
* After trading down and getting an extra pick in the 2nd, Buffalo picks up the best LB in the draft, adding some much needed depth and firepower to it's defense.

8th – Philadelphia: DeSean Jackson (WR) California
* When TO was in Philly, McNabb had some of his best seasons and took them to a Superbowl. Reggie Brown isn't the answer, and after losing Donte Stallworth last year, they need a Playmaker. Jackson is their guy and is solid value at 8th.

9th – New Orleans: (Trade via Dallas via CLE) Jake Long (OT) Michigan
* New Orleans trades down, snagging an extra 3rd round pick, and still lands the guy they wanted all along. Stinch and Brown aren't exactly performing to their expected level, but if Long doesn't immediately replace one of them, he also has value at G if necessary. It's amazing what Drew Brees can do when you give him time, and this is what NO needs more then anything else available.

10th – Houston: Jonathan Stewart (RB) Oregon
* They've built their defense, they've found their QB, now they need a RB who isn't 35+ - Ahman Green was a nice experiment, but they found out quicly why the Packers let him go so easily. Kubiak may not be a fan of using a 1st on a RB (See Denver) but with the talent left on the board, he'll either try to trade down or take the BPA that fits a huge void in their offense.

11th – Denver: Keith Rivers (LB) USC

12th – Chicago: Matt Ryan (QB) Boston College

13th – Minnesota: Andre Woodson (QB) Kentucky

14th – New England (via SF): James Laurinaitis (LB) Ohio State

15th – Oakland: Sedrick Ellis (DT) USC

16th – Detroit: Malcom Jenkins (CB) Ohio State

17th – Tennessee: John Carlson (TE) Notre Dame

18th – Kansas City: Antoine Cason (CB) Arizona

19th – Seattle: Gosder Cherilus (OT) Boston College

20th – Washington: Frank Okam (DT) Texas

21st – NY Giants: Terrell Thomas (CB) USC

22nd – Carolina: Reggie Smith (CB) Oklahoma

23rd – Arizona: Quentin Groves (DE) Auburn

24th – Baltimore: Derrick Harvey (DE) Florida

25th – Jacksonville: Sam Baker (OT) USC

26th – San Diego: Early Doucet (WR) LSU

27th – Tampa Bay: Chris Williams (OT) Vanderbilt

28th – Pittsburgh: Tommy Blake (OLB) TCU

29th – Green Bay: Mike Jenkins (CB) South Florida

30th – San Francisco (via IND): Jonathan Hefney (S) Tennessee

31st – Dallas: Adarius Bowman (WR) Oklahoma St.

32nd – Patriots: Forfeited

thebow305
10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
good mia pick

Finsfan79
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
3rd – Miami: Phil Loadholt (OT) Oklahoma

nice player but think he will surpass long? that is quite a leap.

Turtlepower
10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Reggie Smith is 20x better than Thomas. Anyway, I like Smith playing FS for us. I also don't think that Thomas is a 1st rounder anymore after his game against Stanford.

MaddHatter
10-15-2007, 04:07 PM
3rd Miami: Phil Loadholt (OT) Oklahoma

nice player but think he will surpass long? that is quite a leap.

If he declares, I think he's worthy

BuckNaked
10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Woodson at 13 is great for us.

Aftermath
10-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Bengals would never trade up, if anything they'd trade down.

HoopsDemon12
10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
First of all i want to say nice mock draft.. nice to see things mixed up for once. I think the Bills pick is good grabbing an extra pick where we can get a wideout and a corner in teh second cause both are DEEP in those rounds.

Though with all this stuff involving tommy blake.. i think he falls out of the first round for sure... unless something in his interview changes the teams minds about why he was stressed and left.

Caddy
10-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Good positional pick and player pick although I'm a bigger fan of some of the juniors like Clady.

skinzzfan25
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Terrible pick, Okam couldn't last a game in a Gregg Williams defense. You need to be able to run, and Okam cannot.

I'll take Harvey or Sam Baker over him.

TitanHope
10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
For the Titans...

Carlson is a great pick. I prefer Rucker over him, but a great pick nevertheless.

M.O.T.H.
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
honestly...I can only see the Boys trading up for one player and his name is Darren Mcfadden.

Paul
10-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I do not not like mocks with projected trades, espeically in October. And were cutting Hamlin already? Wow

BroadwayJoe10
10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I personally do not like chris long for the jets. From what i've heard he is always playing around the 270 or even 260 range. That just isn't the size we need for a 3-4 DE. Kenyon Coleman has actually been a decent starter this year, and has shown he is capable of being a solid DE. I like the DE pick, but i dont think chris long will be it. I would look to trade down personally, but it is always hard to predicts trades especially this early.

aNYtitan
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Fine Titans pick, even though it might be a bit high for him it does fill a need. It would definitely help make Vince better.

Crow
10-16-2007, 05:20 AM
D-line to Oakland is an automatic thumbs up.

falconsrule
10-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Love the Falcons pick....Norwood & McFadden would make one hell of a combo.

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM
I personally do not like chris long for the jets. From what i've heard he is always playing around the 270 or even 260 range. That just isn't the size we need for a 3-4 DE. Kenyon Coleman has actually been a decent starter this year, and has shown he is capable of being a solid DE. I like the DE pick, but i dont think chris long will be it. I would look to trade down personally, but it is always hard to predicts trades especially this early.

I thought he was playing at 280-285 and figured he could bulk up to play DE. He could also play OLB in your 3-4, though it'd require a Ware/Spencer-esq transformation, as well as DE in the Nickle, making him extremely versatile. Who would you recommend they take in that position without a trade?

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Any comments on the other teams?

T-RICH49
10-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I love the Antoine Cason pick for KC.finally someone knows that CB is just as big a need as OL is and Cason is a great pick.

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I have no idea why the Bengals would trade up for Dan Conner. Depending on who comes out I think he could fall out of the 1st round, let alone the top 10.

There are some other rather bold 1st rounders as well (Carlson, Williams, Blake no way in hell does this happen anymore IMO, Hefney).

Oddly I really like Williams and Hefney, but don't buy either at this point as more than mid-2nd round guys.

D-Unit
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
The heat of FA will end before the draft begins. The Cowboys would have no way of knowing if this pick would "allow" them to cut Hamlin. The decision on Hamlin would be made well before the draft. Probably before the start of FA even, similar to Gurode's situation last year.

Trading up for Phillips and passing on Jake Long is something that I also have a hard time believing, unless Flozell Adams is resigned... which I have my doubts about.

I'd welcome Adarius Bowman into Dallas with open arms. But I hate using a first round pick on a WR... any WR. I'm a firm believer that you don't spend a first round pick on a WR unless he is of elite talent. Bowman is close to elite, so I wouldn't be totally upset. We could use our resources better though. Where is our cornerback help? CB is a much greater need right now than WR.

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
The heat of FA will end before the draft begins. The Cowboys would have no way of knowing if this pick would "allow" them to cut Hamlin. The decision on Hamlin would be made well before the draft. Probably before the start of FA even, similar to Gurode's situation last year.

Trading up for Phillips and passing on Jake Long is something that I also have a hard time believing, unless Flozell Adams is resigned... which I have my doubts about.

I'd welcome Adarius Bowman into Dallas with open arms. But I hate using a first round pick on a WR... any WR. I'm a firm believer that you don't spend a first round pick on a WR unless he is of elite talent. Bowman is close to elite, so I wouldn't be totally upset. We could use our resources better though. Where is our cornerback help? CB is a much greater need right now than WR.

I guess I worded that wrong. I think the Cowboys will know whether or not they want Hamlin or not - I think they'll say not and let him walk. They will then go after Phillips, trading up if necessary to get him. If they miss on him, they could always move Glenn to S and take a Top Shutdown CB. Either way, I was inferring that I didn't think Hamlin would be back.

As for Adams, I think that after spending a 3rd and 5th last year on T's and having Baby Eater back there will prevent us from spending a first on a Tackle. Jerry has also proven year after year he won't spend a 1st round pick on a tackle. Would I love to see Long or Williams or Loadholt manning our line? H-ll yes - will it happen? probably not.

As for WR/CB - I decided to listen to everyone that says we wouldn't spend two 1st round picks on our secondary and went with Phillips. When I look at our other needs, I can see us going NT (noone worthy), WR, CB (2 1sts on secondary?) and RB - I went WR.

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I have no idea why the Bengals would trade up for Dan Conner. Depending on who comes out I think he could fall out of the 1st round, let alone the top 10.

There are some other rather bold 1st rounders as well (Carlson, Williams, Blake no way in hell does this happen anymore IMO, Hefney).

Oddly I really like Williams and Hefney, but don't buy either at this point as more than mid-2nd round guys.

I agree with Blake - it was just revealed to me he is no longer with TCU - not sure of all the details, but apparently I was behind on that one.

I think the lack of any strong Safety Prospects other then Phillips (vs. last year when we had 3 worth a top 15) will drive up Hefney's value. I think he could fall but with all of the teams who could use a Safety, I think he goes in the first.

I also think that Williams, having already proven himself in the SEC, will fly up charts with a strong Combine. Will he suprass Long/Baker? Not sure - but I think he's definately a first rounder.

As for Connor - the Bengals traded up for Campbell - Buffalo traded down for Connor - who I have as the top rated OLB in this years draft. I'm open to the opinion he's not a Top 15 pick as I can't honestly say I'm the most knowledge college scout in the world, but if he's not - who would you say is?

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I think the lack of any strong Safety Prospects other then Phillips (vs. last year when we had 3 worth a top 15) will drive up Hefney's value. I think he could fall but with all of the teams who could use a Safety, I think he goes in the first.

I also think that Williams, having already proven himself in the SEC, will fly up charts with a strong Combine. Will he suprass Long/Baker? Not sure - but I think he's definately a first rounder.

As for Connor - the Bengals traded up for Campbell - Buffalo traded down for Connor - who I have as the top rated OLB in this years draft. I'm open to the opinion he's not a Top 15 pick as I can't honestly say I'm the most knowledge college scout in the world, but if he's not - who would you say is?
You mean lack of Free Safties? Hefney is 5'9 185lbs, I doubt he plays SS at the pro level.

I would probably say my saftey rankings currently go as:

1st round
-Kenny Phillips (FS/SS)

2nd round/3rd round
-Zbikowski (SS)
-Josh Barrett (SS)
-Quintin Demps (FS/SS)
-Hefney (FS)
-Craig Stelz (SS/FS)
-Marcus Griffin (FS)
-Thomas DeCoud (FS)
-Jamar Adams (SS/FS)

So while this isn't an elite safety class, I think there are about 8-9 guys that will/could go 1st day. You're probably right in that one of them may slip into the late 1st, I'm just not convinced it's Hefney.

I just don't buy Williams as a 1st rounder, at all, especially over Long/Baker. In fact I think that's kinda ridiculous. I think it's a reach to have him as an early 2nd, and would take guys like Heath Benedict, Barry Richardson, and arguably ever Kirk Barton over him. Williams obviously has a strong ability to play LT than Richardson or Barton, but he plays rather soft when I've seen him, and I question is ability to be a grinder in the pros.

I grade Conner as a top 20 pick, and don't doubt that he could go there, but I think depending on who comes out and who picks where he could slip like Poz did last year. Linebackers tend to slip, and Connor doesn't have elite skills IMO like an Ernie Sims.

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
You mean lack of Free Safties? Hefney is 5'9 185lbs, I doubt he plays SS at the pro level.

I figured that might read wrong... by strong I meant good... sorry

I would probably say my saftey rankings currently go as:

1st round
-Kenny Phillips (FS/SS)

2nd round/3rd round
-Zbikowski (SS)
-Josh Barrett (SS)
-Quintin Demps (FS/SS)
-Hefney (FS)
-Craig Stelz (SS/FS)
-Marcus Griffin (FS)
-Thomas DeCoud (FS)
-Jamar Adams (SS/FS)

So while this isn't an elite safety class, I think there are about 8-9 guys that will/could go 1st day. You're probably right in that one of them may slip into the late 1st, I'm just not convinced it's Hefney.

I think you're right - there are probably 3 who are very close for #2 and it might not be Hefney

I just don't buy Williams as a 1st rounder, at all, especially over Long/Baker. In fact I think that's kinda ridiculous. I think it's a reach to have him as an early 2nd, and would take guys like Heath Benedict, Barry Richardson, and arguably ever Kirk Barton over him. Williams obviously has a strong ability to play LT than Richardson or Barton, but he plays rather soft when I've seen him, and I question is ability to be a grinder in the pros.

I don't buy Long or Baker as a LT and think Williams is the 2nd best LT behind Loadholt... whether I'm right or not... time will tell I guess

I grade Conner as a top 20 pick, and don't doubt that he could go there, but I think depending on who comes out and who picks where he could slip like Poz did last year. Linebackers tend to slip, and Connor doesn't have elite skills IMO like an Ernie Sims.

I'm open to that - but if Buffalo (for arguments sake) did trade down with Cinci and had this pick, who do you think they take in that position? I suppose I could see them taking DeSean Jackson to give Edwards another option and take some heat off Evans.

Addict
10-16-2007, 02:43 PM
CB works for the Lions.

MaddHatter
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
CB works for the Lions.

Not like you guys miss Dre Bly or anything

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm open to that - but if Buffalo (for arguments sake) did trade down with Cinci and had this pick, who do you think they take in that position? I suppose I could see them taking DeSean Jackson to give Edwards another option and take some heat off Evans.

Seeing as how I've got Buffalo taking Jackson at #3, that would be my guess yes. The value of Jackson over Connor isn't even close IMO.

Scotty D
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Not like you guys miss Dre Bly or anything

Not like he was a locker room cancer.