PDA

View Full Version : Run-defending cornerbacks for next year's draft

oldLibid21
10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I was watching the Falcons game just now, and I thought, "Wow, Atlanta really needs a cornerback who can actually tackle a running back and help slow down the rushing offense of the other team." I'm just wondering who are the best run-stopping cornerbacks in this year's draft, maybe think of around five to ten depends on how many you guys know. And maybe tell me where they will be projected so I can see if I can throw in a cornerback in my future mock draft. Thanks.

SuperKevin
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
DeJuan Tribble might be a little guy but he is probably one of the best run support CBs in the draft. Terrell Thomas is another physical CB that comes to mind

PACKmanN
10-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Justin King- Top 10
Malcolm Jenkins- Top 15
Reggie Smith- Top 20
Antonie Cason- Late 1st Early 2nd
Mike Jenkins- Late 1st Early 2nd
Dwight Lowey- Late 2nd Early 3rd
Tracy Porter- Late 2nd Early 3rd
Darnell Terrell- Early 4th Late 5th

sodar21
10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Justin King- Top 10
Malcolm Jenkins- Top 15
Reggie Smith- Top 20
Antonie Cason- Late 1st Early 2nd
Mike Jenkins- Late 1st Early 2nd
Dwight Lowey- Late 2nd Early 3rd
Tracy Porter- Late 2nd Early 3rd
Darnell Terrell- Early 4th Late 5th

King is regarded as a great corner in coverage but a weak tackler so I don't know why you have him #1 on your list. I'd put Jenkins, Smith and Ikegwuonu at the top.

foozball
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
jenkins, but theyll pick too high for him. prolly ikegwuonu in the 2nd would be nice.

Mr. Stiller
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Mike Jenkins
Malcolm Jenkins
DeJuan Tribble are my top 3.

M.O.T.H.
10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Mike Jenkins has always had problems defending the run...he's been better this season but, it's something he needs to work on. His open field tackling has improved but, it's still not great.

darnik44two
10-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Chevis Jackson plays the run as good as any CB I've seen this year.

NYGibril28
10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
didn't Atlanta draft Chris Houston? He was pegged as the most physical CB in last year's draft. Where is he?

foozball
10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
houston had 5 tackles last night

deangelo hall had 11 tackles, 1 INT, and 4 PBU last night

Don Vito
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
DeJuan Tribble might be a little guy but he is probably one of the best run support CBs in the draft. Terrell Thomas is another physical CB that comes to mind

Yeah Tribble goes about 5-9 185 but he really reminds me of Antoine Winfield because both of them are very physical against the run despite their size. Zack Bowman is another guy who is solid, and I've only watched one full game of Mizzou's Darnell Terrell but he was coming up and making hits the whole day.

aheineken
10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
In every Ohio State game I've watched so far this year, Malcolm Jenkins has really stood out with his run support. He has to be one of the best in this year's class.

d34ng3l021
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
The Giants have RBs who are 250, 230, and 230 lbs. Its going to be hard for CBs to tackle them.

oldLibid21
10-16-2007, 04:45 PM
didn't Atlanta draft Chris Houston? He was pegged as the most physical CB in last year's draft. Where is he?

I never realized that he was a physical CB. Maybe Zimmer's defense always has him utilizing his best asset by constantly sticking him in coverage?

PTPaQ
10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I was watching the Falcons game just now, and I thought, "Wow, Atlanta really needs a cornerback who can actually tackle a running back and help slow down the rushing offense of the other team." I'm just wondering who are the best run-stopping cornerbacks in this year's draft, maybe think of around five to ten depends on how many you guys know. And maybe tell me where they will be projected so I can see if I can throw in a cornerback in my future mock draft. Thanks.

LoL the falcons dont have a CB who can cover a WR, much less tackle a RB. As far as runstopping corners the best I've seen are Malcolm Jenkins, Chevis Jackson, and Dwight Lowery.

jbooshey
10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Jack Ike is a very physical corner who likes to mix it up.

vatech=accdomination
10-16-2007, 06:04 PM
All the above are cover corners, BRANDON FLOWERS, is probably the best tackling and run disrupting CB VT has ever had.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YRH7bCT-SM

goblue8888
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I haven't really watched osu that much this year so i dont know how much jenkins has improved. However, i do know last year thats one of the things michigans coaches thought they could exploit because both of osu's corners were terrible at getting off blocks.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Brandon Flowers is one of the best IMO.

Solomon
10-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I never realized that he was a physical CB. Maybe Zimmer's defense always has him utilizing his best asset by constantly sticking him in coverage?

Houston was regarded as a physical corner in terms of how he handles receivers. He certainly likes to be physical with receivers but he was only average when it came to tackling versus the run. In the terms which scouts tend to use there is usually a slight difference between saying a CB is "physical" and saying he "plays the run well".

gstock05
10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, if it makes any difference, Jenkins plays Safety in OSU's nickel formation at times. I think that in itself shows he can hit.

Either way, he's a very physical corner, but of the "physical" corners listed above, he's easily the best in coverage.

SuperKevin
10-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, if it makes any difference, Jenkins plays Safety in OSU's nickel formation at times. I think that in itself shows he can hit.

Either way, he's a very physical corner, but of the "physical" corners listed above, he's easily the best in coverage.

I'd be wary of his ability to play pro CB if his team puts him at safety on obvious passing downs

oldLibid21
10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd like to bump this topic even though it's old. DeAngelo Hall now wants to be traded and is very displeased with Atlanta cutting Grady Jackson, and I'm just wondering if any of the corner rankings above have changed? Thanks.

remix 6
10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Houston was regarded as a physical corner in terms of how he handles receivers. He certainly likes to be physical with receivers but he was only average when it came to tackling versus the run. In the terms which scouts tend to use there is usually a slight difference between saying a CB is "physical" and saying he "plays the run well".

agreed. he gets physical with WRs and hes a strong kid but hes not an anxious guy to come up in the run.

Tribble, Flowers are very good. Hows Godfrey?

sodar21
10-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd be wary of his ability to play pro CB if his team puts him at safety on obvious passing downs

Nah its a scheme thing. Obvious passing down means they bring out 6 defensive backs. They rather have Jenkins ball hawking deeper down the field and have the bigger safeties play nearer the line of scrimmage. He matches up one on one on the top WR on every other down but since its an obvious passing situation the other team will have a lot of WRs out so they go to a zone scheme and Jenkins is best off where he can cover where the ball is going.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Chris Cook, although he'd probably project better as a safety in the pro's.

bucknut12
10-25-2007, 12:08 PM
The reason Malcolm Jenkins plays safety in nickel situations is our one safety plays the nickel back, moving Malcolm to safety. We have more depth at corner to replace malcolm. If malcolm stayed at corner in those situations, our backup safety Jamario O'Neal (who has fallen off the face of the earth since playing last year) isn't a good player to have back there. In the end, the combo of Malcolm in the back with our corner depth beats any other option.

None the less, we is a very physical corner. Lookin back, he's a better hitter than Springs, Ahmed Plummer, Chris Gamble, and Youboty. I'd put Winfield at the top, then him up there with Nate Clemets. So def. nothing to be ashamed of. Def. deserves to be in this convo as one of the best.

LonghornsLegend
10-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Michael Griffin, Michael Huff??

It really doesnt matter in college, players move around alot that are talented to help the team, both guys I listed played Safety in college full time, one was projected to be a top corner in the entire draft if he were to play there, the other was drafted mid first as a corner outright and both have worked out

SuperKevin
10-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Michael Griffin, Michael Huff??

It really doesnt matter in college, players move around alot that are talented to help the team, both guys I listed played Safety in college full time, one was projected to be a top corner in the entire draft if he were to play there, the other was drafted mid first as a corner outright and both have worked out

Don't both of them now play safety in the pros?

T.Smith
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Malcolm Jenkins's strength is his physicalness. Against MSU he had more Solo Tackles then Laurenitis, and they were all him blowing up a screen pass to the runningback and runs. I remember on one drive, there RB got the ball 3 straight times and ran it in Malcolm's direction and he stopped him in their tracks each time. Malcolm is a high Energy guy and loves contact.

Also we put Malcolm at Saftey to use his ball hawking skills, because he never gets to use them considering the last time a ball was thrown his way was the first pass in the northwestern game.

Just trying to inform, tried not to put in any opinions and whatnot in.

Travis 24
10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I like Chevis Jackson A LOT...I don't think he's as fast as you'd like, but he's so well rounded overall.

cowboysforever
10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
How about a thread "Best Hand-off Making QBs in Next Year's Draft."

<sigh>

Vikes99ej
10-25-2007, 08:43 PM
All the above are cover corners, BRANDON FLOWERS, is probably the best tackling and run disrupting CB VT has ever had.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YRH7bCT-SM

I was just about to say him.

SuperKevin
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
How about a thread "Best Hand-off Making QBs in Next Year's Draft."

<sigh>

Easily Matt Ryan. there's not even a point in mentioning anyone else

HawkeyeFan
10-25-2007, 10:36 PM
How about Charles Godfrey, CB from Iowa? 6'1" 210lbs and is a great tackler, and comes up good in run support.

vatech=accdomination
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Brandon Flowers is worthless in deep ball and slow qb moving around coverage......

cowboysforever
10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Easily Matt Ryan. there's not even a point in mentioning anyone else

"Best Hand-off Making QBs in Next Year's Draft."

Morelli, definately Morelli..

no love
10-25-2007, 11:44 PM
houston had 5 tackles last night

deangelo hall had 11 tackles, 1 INT, and 4 PBU last night

Never a good thing when your corner leads the team in tackles =/

OhioState
10-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Never a good thing when your corner leads the team in tackles =/

usually that means that he let his guy catch the ball too much and had to make a tackle on him

D-Unit
10-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Anyone mention Terrell Thomas? Chevis Jackson? Two of my favorites.