PDA

View Full Version : Is james Lauranitis overrated?

02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Heres a comment made by a poster that insist he is respected around here for his opinions about college football.

I would say he was over publicized due to his dad, but thats the media. Im talking his on the field play. I dont think his play is overrated.
What do you think about his comments?

3rd Laurenitius is the most overrated player in the Big-10 and probably didn't shed a single block this whole season.

He is the most overrated player in the Big-10.... I deserved none of the award considerations he got and was the 3, 4, or possibly 5th best LB in the Big-10 this year.

Although when i talk college football I am pretty on base and I think some people respect my opinion.

Well lets see if they actually respect your opinion.....

bigmac076
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I think he gets to much recognition, Just cause his dad was a wrestler, but Im biased. Check my location 8)

02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
OSU has a great history of LB's and when they get this kind of recognition, weather you like it or not, its usually merited.

snuff
02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Just to let you know respect and agreeing are two different things. I nulled my vote also.

bigmac076
02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
C'mon guys loosen up. I know hes the best LB in the Big 10, jeez. I respect every player from OSU except David Boston and Maurice Clarett.

Jughead10
02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
He got a lot of hype because he had a lot of big plays, mostly INTs. The chances of him making that many big plays are slim and I think he still has a lot to prove before he is to be considered a big time LB prospect in the NFL.

02-05-2007, 01:08 PM
He got a lot of hype because he had a lot of big plays, mostly INTs

You must not have watched him then

How about the key situation sacks, big INT's and all the forced fumbles, specifically the one that basically changed the Texas game?

He was the best LB in the big ten this year. Your not overrated if youve acomplished that.

P-L
02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
He is overrated, but he's still a damn good football player. I'd take him on my team any day.

02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
and was the 3, 4, or possibly 5th best LB in the Big-10 this year.

When you name 4 better LB's, then you have an arguement.

Not only statistically, but the way they had an effect on their teams season.

02-05-2007, 01:11 PM
He is overrated

Patriots-lionsfan, I know your respected, so when you say hes overrated, does that mean there are 4 better LB's in the big ten better than him like Snuff seems to think?

When he declares he will be a 1st rounder, 2nd at very worste, does that make him overrated?

bigrick0016
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
you realize snuff only watches and cares about Michigan right? I can't anything you say seriously until you know the people. You are a dullard. You're thoughts are now void and everything you say is like a turd falling into my drink.

P-L
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think he was the 5th best LB in the Big Ten, but I don't think he was the best either. I think he was the second or third best last year.

02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
The people that know college football are the ones that voted and they picked james, not the 3rd person etc...

No LB arguably had more impact for their team in the big ten than JL, sorry to homers out there like Snuff, whos opinions are to one dementional.

bigmac076
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Easily Harris was the most underrated LB in the Big 10 this year and Laurinaitis was the most overrated LB. Not saying Laurinaitis wasn't any good, he was great. He was over-publicized though. ANd Im sure Laurinaitis doesn't want to be known as just "WWE Executive John Laurinaitis' son", but thats the publicity he got this season at least. Laurinaitis will more than likely be the top LB in 2007 barring an injury. He also will be probably end up being even more popular than his father.

02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
His publicity is overrated, not his play on the field. media attention and football skills are 2 different comparisions.

bigmac076
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
His publicity is overrated, not his play on the field. media attention and football skills are 2 different comparisions.
I just mean like people making preemptive decisions that he must be great, just because of who his father is. Its the media's game, nothing new.

02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I just mean like people making preemptive decisions that he must be great, just because of who his father is

why would people compare a football players skill, to their father who was a wrestler and insinuating greatness at the same time? stupid (not you, the media)

He got publicity because he is great on the field, then the media took it out of hand because people would appreciate his father aswell.

snuff
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
David Harris
J Leman
Dan Connor
Paul Posluszny
Mark Zalewski

Are all just as good if not better than Laurinaitis.

02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
David Harris
J Leman
Dan Connor
Paul Posluszny
Mark Zalewski

LOL, at least you tried!

Not only are these guys mostly older than JL, but didnt effect there team like he did either.

Zalewski better? you completely lost this one!

Let the awards speak for themselves...

T.Smith
02-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I vote yes. He will have a much harder time without pitcock and patterson blocking for him. He is the 3rd best player on that defense. Behind Jenkins and Gholston.

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
David Harris
J Leman
Dan Connor
Paul Posluszny
Mark Zalewski

LOL, at least you tried!

Not only are these guys mostly older than JL, but didnt effect there team like he did either.

Let the awards speak for themselves...Please tell me how JL effected tOSU? They played 2 games this season he could of made a difference in... Michigan he was not to be found and Texas he played terrible, but you will disagree and just look at the stats. I guess he didn't help much vs Florida either.

gettembuck
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM
David Harris
J Leman
Dan Connor
Paul Posluszny
Mark Zalewski

LOL, at least you tried!

Let the awards speak for themselves...Please tell me how JL effected tOSU? They played 2 games this season he could of made a difference in... Michigan he was not to be found and Texas he played terrible, but you will disagree and just look at the stats. I guess he didn't help much vs Florida either.hold up. brownsfan is being a biased moron, but why are there only 2 games he could have made a difference in?

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
David Harris
J Leman
Dan Connor
Paul Posluszny
Mark Zalewski

LOL, at least you tried!

Let the awards speak for themselves...Please tell me how JL effected tOSU? They played 2 games this season he could of made a difference in... Michigan he was not to be found and Texas he played terrible, but you will disagree and just look at the stats. I guess he didn't help much vs Florida either.hold up. brownsfan is being a biased moron, but why are there only 2 games he could have made a difference in?Because Troy Smith lead the offense to complete domination in the rest pretty much.

I guess you could throw in Illinois and PSU if you want.

Please tell me how JL effected tOSU? They played 2 games this season he could of made a difference in... Michigan he was not to be found and Texas he played terrible, but you will disagree and just look at the stats. I guess he didn't help much vs Florida either.

And Poz/harris didnt have key off games? exactly....

DoWnThEfiElD
He is overrated, but he's still a damn good football player. I'd take him on my team any day.

i agree with this, i remember someone on here comparing him to Urlacher which is just insane. Lets see what he does this year before anyone starts calling him the next Urlacher, or Hawk, or anyone on that level.

02-05-2007, 02:16 PM
or Hawk, or anyone on that level

hes allready considered a top 5 LB in college football. And hes done exactly what Hawk did at this point in their careers.

hawk and JL are exact players at this point. Size, speed, hands, etc...all match up.

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Please tell me how JL effected tOSU? They played 2 games this season he could of made a difference in... Michigan he was not to be found and Texas he played terrible, but you will disagree and just look at the stats. I guess he didn't help much vs Florida either.

And Poz/harris didnt have key off games? exactly.... I never said they didn't... Your the one saying that its a big deal. How they effected their team!!!!!!! I don't really care what they did for their team, I am talking about their ability to make shed block, make tackle, and read plays.

I never said Poz/Harris were better than JL either. I said as good if not better, although now that you bring it up I would say Harris was the best LB in the Big-10.

02-05-2007, 02:22 PM
When your underrated Like harris, then get publicity, you become overrated. JL allready passed this stage in his carrer as a sophmore. harris finally reached it as a senior who is 3 years older!

DoWnThEfiElD
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
or Hawk, or anyone on that level

hes allready considered a top 5 LB in college football. And hes done exactly what Hawk did at this point in their careers.

hawk and JL are exact players at this point. Size, speed, hands, etc...all match up.

ok well don't talk about him like he has accomplished what Hawk has, that is what makes him overrated, he still has ways to go. Please do not turn this guy into a Clausen, or Juice Williams. Maybe after this year we can mention him in the same breath.

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah getting press early in your career means your going to be amazing.... Like Anthony Reddick, Willie Williams, Reggie McNeal, Gabe Watson, Pierre Woods, 30 different USC Rbs, Charles Gordon,Mike D'Andre and the 10000 other players that get overrated because they have a decent sophomore year.

02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
ok well don't talk about him like he has accomplished what Hawk has, that is what makes him overrated, he still has ways to go. Please do not turn this guy into a Clausen, or Juice Williams. Maybe after this year we can mention him in the same breath.

Read what i wrote, I said after there sophmore years they have basically been the same person. After Hawks junior year is when he was great, not soph.

02-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Mike D'Andre and the 10000 other players that get overrated because they have a decent sophomore year.

Mike D'Andrea never played his sophmore year, and was hurt his entire career.

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Read what i wrote, I said after there sophmore years they have basically been the same person. After Hawks junior year is when he was great, not soph. Ok, what is your point? Ok, hes pretty good as a sophomore... Does that mean he is going to get better? Nope. I wish it worked that way, because then Michigan's safeties would have actually done something last year, and Morgan Trent might actually be able to cover someone this year.

02-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I think now your just incorporating whatever into the arguement.

keylime_5
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM
He was a true sophomore and in his first year of starting, and had 100+ tackles/6 ints/5 sacks I think were his stats. He tied Spielman's big ten INT record for a LB I know that. He pretty much dominated at Texas and Penn State and a couple other games. He's no AJ Hawk, but he's really good.

DoWnThEfiElD
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Read what i wrote, I said after there sophmore years they have basically been the same person. After Hawks junior year is when he was great, not soph. Ok, what is your point? Ok, hes pretty good as a sophomore... Does that mean he is going to get better? Nope. I wish it worked that way, because then Michigan's safeties would have actually done something last year, and Morgan Trent might actually be able to cover someone this year.

ok now maybe snuff explained why its insane to compare him to Hawk better, lets just compare him to some other guy who had a great sophmore season then fell off the map. Thats pretty much the same... ITs one thing to give a player comparison in terms of athletic ability, but the way you want to compare him to Hawk is what makes him overrated. Physically maybe they are comparable, but as players...not yet.

snuff
02-05-2007, 02:40 PM
And Alvin Bowen had 155 tackles.... Stop bringing stats into the argument... They are irrelevant.

He wasn't very good against Texas either. He got beat around the corner several times and was blown off the ball and taken out of the play quite a few more. Many of Texas' 10 yard runs where because of him.

Unfortunately you will just point to his Interception where the ball was a terrible throw right to him.

02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Snuffs a moron for saying JL is overated, I think that sums up this topic.

you want to compare him to Hawk is what makes him overrated. Physically maybe they are comparable, but as players...not yet.

i never comapred JL now, to the current AJ hawk. i compared Hawks sophmore season TO JL's SOPHMORE SEASON FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
And Alvin Bowen had 155 tackles

And he did it against great competition right? geshhhhh

02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
He got beat around the corner several times

Um Ray Lewis gets beat at least 3 plus times a game also, but is he also overrated?

Urlacher got beat consistently at the end of the super bowl, is he oevrrated? he played well the first half, the 2nd he was nowhere. And all those runs at the end of the game WERE MOSTLY UP THE MIDDLE!

DoWnThEfiElD
02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Snuffs a moron for saying JL is overated, I think that sums up this topic.

you want to compare him to Hawk is what makes him overrated. Physically maybe they are comparable, but as players...not yet.

i never comapred JL now, to the current AJ hawk. i compared Hawks sophmore season TO JL's SOPHMORE SEASON FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

ok well then is it fine to compare him to a linebacker who had a good soph season then never did anything again?? Nobody is saying he is bad, just a bit overrated.

Do you see me comparing Chad Henne to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning because Chad Henne had a better sophmore season?

02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you see me comparing Chad Henne to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning because Chad Henne had a better sophmore season?

No, but if you did its alot more understandable!

patrick Willis got ran over 2 times i nthe senior bowl, and if you watch when hes in the game he even got beat, is he overrated also?

DoWnThEfiElD
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM

No, but if you did its alot more understandable!

patrick Willis got ran over 2 times i nthe senior bowl, and if you watch when hes in the game he even got beat, is he overrated also?

is anyone comparing Patrick Willis to AJ Hawk or Ray Lewis?

btw Willis has actually played a full college career already.

P-L
02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
And Willis is extremely overrated by most people, but that's besides the fact.

02-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Everyone agrees that Lauranitis is overrated by the media, but they dont overrate his playing skills, they overrate his publicity due to his dad, theres a difference.

Everyplayer is overrated to an extent.

Brady Quinn is considered overrated, so is just about every prospect.

Carriker was underated, but come draft time he will most likely becomeoverrated and drop back down a tinge.

AZ9er
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I hada comparison that he reminds me of Urlacher mized with Bruschi and could be better than both. I was being a homer and sarcastic. I think he is awesome, I think if he spends another year in college or two that he could be an ELITE LB in the NFL.

And being ONLY a Sophmore I think he was over rated by the media saying he is God's gift to linebacking. But to say he is not a stud is idiotic.

HE started off really hot in the first few games with 4 ints, a couple of pass deflections. Ended the year with 5 INTs, I think he matches this years total.

He averaged approx 10 total tackles a game, had some great sticks in the Penn St., and Michigan games. People have said that he gets pushed around and can't fend off blocks, I beg to differe. He was double teamed down field alot, and was all over the field from sideline to side line.

He stepped up in the big games. In the national championship game, he might have been one of the FEW highlights and positives for the team that was left in shambles. 5 solo tackles, 10 assisted, 15 total. Was all over the field.

He is 6'3, 250 give or take a few LBS, I heard he has dedicated much ofthe offseason not only in the weight rooom, but in the film room.

What are his stats speed wise, in the 40, and 100?

If he runs around a 4.60-4.70, I'd say he maybe better as an ILB in a 3-4 because he is only getting stronger and will learn to shed the beasts in the Big 10 at guard and tackle.

I think he can be a top 10 pick next year. Definatly a first rounder.

Maybe I'm just a Buckeyes fan, i Dunno.

princefielder28
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
OSU has a great history of LB's and when they get this kind of recognition, weather you like it or not, its usually merited.

I agree, but he also has the game to back it up. He palyed well against Michigan and struggled against the quicker players of Florida but he has the heart and determination and will only improve. Once he enters the draft, either this next year or the following year, he will be a top 10 and be about aas much of a lock as AJ Hawk was coming out of college. I'm not saying he will definitely be at Hawk's level, but you know you'll be getting a player that will get the job done every Sunday for a long time to come.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Why are you so intent on saying "Player X is better as a sophomore than Player Y is." Who cares? Harris, Puz, etc. those guys ARENT SOPHOMORES. SNUFF DIDNT SAY LAURINAITIS DIDNT HAVE A GOOD SOPHOMORE YEAR. If you're comparing players at certain points in their careers, that's a different argument altogether. The argument is RIGHT NOW, who is better?

BuddyCHRIST
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
not at all, he wasn't getting much pub before the season. Other guys who had alot more pub (like Poz) didn't play nearly as well as Laurinitis last year. Strictly last year, he was the best LB in the Big 10.

snuff
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
So brownstown 9-5. Interesting results I must say.

draftguru151
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd take Harris, Poz, Connor, and J Leman (maybe) over him. He is a fantastic player for a sophomore, but he is a bit over hyped.

America
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I didn't see much of him since I don't follow Big 10 much. I remember he picked off Colt McCoy in the Texas game. He seemed like a really good player, and was around the ball a lot. Plus, he's got one of the coolest names out there, so that pretty much instantly makes him awesome. Seriously though, he probably can get into the late 1st round because he's a good commander in the middle and he's got pretty good size, especially as a sophmore. Some random comparisons off the top of my head are Dat Ngyuen and Gerrald Hayes. Hayes isn't so good. I can't really think of one right now. Maybe Matt Wilhelm but more athletic. Anyways, he's a pretty good player, probably a solid #2 in the Big 10 and should contend for the best LB next year.

'backer
02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
JL is overrated. I would take Harris, J Leman, Poz and Connor over JL. He is good in coverage, with the obvious knack for the interception, and he is a good blitzer. However, he shows marginal instincts in the run game when it comes to shedding blocks and making the tackle.

He reminds me of Bobby Carpenter before he became a situational passrusher in his senior year, but Carpenter never got the same kind of recognition that JL is getting.

badgerbacker
02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
The poll question is worded badly. Obviously he is a good player, but I still feel he is overrated because of the team he is on and who his father was.

draftguru151
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
The poll question is worded badly. Obviously he is a good player, but I still feel he is overrated because of the team he is on and who his father was.

It's worded so the guy who made the thread got more votes, but it didn't work.

vitamin
02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
JL is a good player but he is over rated an last season Poz, Connor, harris were all better players then him now this season i expect him 2 b the second best LB in the big10, an as for the Hawk comparison i don\'t see it, JL is bigger an isn\'t nearly as explosive as hawk was

Komp
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
lol....

swagger
02-07-2007, 01:44 AM
3rd Laurenitius is the most overrated player in the Big-10 and probably didn't shed a single block this whole season.

I remember all the talk of Derrick Johnson not being able to shed blocks and how he would be a bust in the NFL. How did that work out?

snuff
02-07-2007, 02:00 AM

I remember all the talk of Derrick Johnson not being able to shed blocks and how he would be a bust in the NFL. How did that work out?Oh thanks for reminding me that we were in the NFL thread.... Not to mention that doesn't make him not overrated...

vitamin
02-08-2007, 04:28 PM
3rd Laurenitius is the most overrated player in the Big-10 and probably didn\'t shed a single block this whole season.

I remember all the talk of Derrick Johnson not being able to shed blocks and how he would be a bust in the NFL. How did that work out?

Dj has done nothin spectacular in the NFL and gets manhandled in the run game, also laurinitis does not have DJ\'s athleticism