PDA

View Full Version : Erik Ainge

JDB7821
10-16-2007, 05:02 AM
What's the deal with Ainge? I've only seen him play in the Georgia game this year and although he didn't have a touchdown, he seemed to play really well. I think he's the 4th-5th best quarterback, but no one's talking about him. Is there some sort of negative on the guy that everyone else knows about that I don't? Looking at his numbers (and remembering from a few years back) I know he really wasn't too great, but he seems to have turned it around and is on pace for a 3,000 yard season with about 24 TDs. I really hope the Falcons do the smart thing and take Jake Long in 1st round and draft Ainge in the 2nd.

TitanHope
10-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Over his career, he's been inconsistent, injury prone, and his decision making has been questionable. Nevertheless, he made huge improvements as a junior and is so far playing great. He has every physical tool needed to play in the NFL and has amazing accuracy. He has a broken finger this year, and is still putting up great numbers with average WR's. He'll be a 2nd RD pick barring injury or a sudden lapse in his play, and I know he can start at the next level and have success.

San Diego Chicken
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
I think he should be a first round pick. He has size, arm strength and accuracy, and this year he lost all of his recievers and his left tackle, not to mention has to score lots of points to win games because of his defense, but he has only gotten better.

Pit Bull #53
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
He matured. A LOT.

That was one of the biggest changes after his soph season. He became a leader and starting taking his craft seriously. He seems to have a good mental grasp of the game now.

I would actually like to see him take a few more risks, but we really can't afford dumb mistakes with the way our defense tackles.

soybean
10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
he's ready for the big time more so than andre woodson, brohm brennan etc. He doesn't have a higher ceiling than either of em but he has the lowest floor. Very impressed with him.

yo123
10-16-2007, 07:42 PM
The games I've watched he seemed to check down a lot. Is this a regular thing with him or was it just the game I was watching?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
He's a good player, but not a great player. He doesn't "win" games for you, kind of like Matt Leinart, he lets the athletes do the work. High accuracy, Ok Arm strength, Great size, but won't be anything special at the next level. A game manager that needs weapons ala Matt Leinart and Chad Pennington(but not nearly that weak of an arm)

soybean
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Matt Leinart didn't win games?

BucSappy
10-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I think on draft day, some team will trade up for him in the latter part of the first round. He has a lot of talent and he has shown improvements in his decision making. He has a very good arm. What exactly more does he have to do? Better than Ryan, Brohm, or Woodson? No, but he is a very good prospect imo

SenorGato
10-17-2007, 01:09 AM
The single most underrated QB prospect IMO.

He's a 4 year starter. He broke Peyton Manning's school record for TDs as a freshman. He's as accurate as it gets. He plays in the SEC in a pro style offense. He improved greatly as a Junior and he's played great as a senior. He's got a great intermediate arm and he's got excellent touch on his passes. He's mobile. He has excellent pocket presence.

All of those things add up to a very good QB prospect. His sophomore year and the injury problems are whats holding him back I think. I can't think of anything else. I think his release might be a little bit slow, but I think mechanics are a problem that can be fixed (sometimes easily).

He reminds me of Roethlisberger.

Cashmoney
10-17-2007, 02:17 AM
id take him over colt brennan and chad henne any day.

Cashmoney
10-17-2007, 12:56 PM
and just to clarify i think henne and colt are GREAT college qbs but i think ainge will be better as a pro.

Mr. Stiller
10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
The single most underrated QB prospect IMO.

He's a 4 year starter. He broke Peyton Manning's school record for TDs as a freshman. He's as accurate as it gets. He plays in the SEC in a pro style offense. He improved greatly as a Junior and he's played great as a senior. He's got a great intermediate arm and he's got excellent touch on his passes. He's mobile. He has excellent pocket presence.

All of those things add up to a very good QB prospect. His sophomore year and the injury problems are whats holding him back I think. I can't think of anything else. I think his release might be a little bit slow, but I think mechanics are a problem that can be fixed (sometimes easily).

He reminds me of Roethlisberger.

I don't think of Roeth when I think of Ainge.

When I think of Roeth I think of Andre Woodson.. big bodied, big armed, more mobile Qb that can make plays with their feet as well.

I see Ainge as more of a traditional QB like Palmer.

Geo
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Right now, he's my fourth quarterback behind the big three. Really, he's the only quarterback prospect I'd spend a 2nd round pick on at this point, the rest of the pack are just getting worse by the day with the exception of Dennis Dixon (who I probably wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on, quite honestly).

10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
hes got so much poise that makes me think hes more NFL-ready than most QB prospects

Race for the Heisman
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I think people are getting caught up in Woodson and Ryan's hype, not that they don't deserve it necessarily, but people are making excuses for Brohm (defense sucks), and Ainge just doesn't have an 'it' factor. Brennan has his freak numbers, Dixon is getting some pub and he's got his athleticism, but Ainge just appears solid. Don't get me wrong, I think he's the fouth best QB of the bunch, and there really isn't a whole lot seperating the top 4 for me, but he's not spectacular. I guess I would compare him to Palmer as a prospect, a guy who's borderline but a good Senior Bowl showing could do him wonders, and maybe Bulger as a pro, at least before this year. Everyone knows he's good, it just wasn't clear how good he actually was/is until everyone annointed him the NFL's most under-rated player.

no love
10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
The games I've watched he seemed to check down a lot. Is this a regular thing with him or was it just the game I was watching?

I thought the exact same thing. He doesn't seem to have a killer instinct and seems content to manage the game and let the game come to him. And I know that sounds like a good thing, but I would rather my qb have that mentality that they can take over a game.

Cashmoney
10-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I thought the exact same thing. He doesn't seem to have a killer instinct and seems content to manage the game and let the game come to him. And I know that sounds like a good thing, but I would rather my qb have that mentality that they can take over a game.

youre probably talking about a game youve seen this season then. if you watched him last year when he had meachum, jayson swain, and bret smith, he had no problem getting the ball downfield to his receivers. he just doesnt have as much talent around him this year as he did last year.