PDA

View Full Version : Who will the media talk about now?

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Now that the Peyton Manning train has reached the station, what high profile QB will the media harass for not winning a Superbowl now?

a-dub83
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
most likely McNabb

Jay
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I voted McNair but meant to vote McNabb. Or Vick.

SFbear
They will harass Eli and Vick until they live up to theyre draft position.

bigbluedefense
McNabb. He's in a big market that will create media buzz, and he's in a current "qb controversy", and he hasn't won the big game his entire career either.

Eli will also get alot of heat, especially now that Peyton won a ring, Eli won't shut up his critics until he wins one himself.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Ok who voted for Tony Romo?? :lol:

MaxV
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Well I live in NY, and all I ever read in newspapapers is how Eli needs to do this, and how he needs to do that.

Being a QB for a NY always puts one in the spotlight.

I'm not saying that these other QBs don't have pressure on them, or that the media won't talk about them, but nowhere is it as bad as in NY.

jetsfan3
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree with whoever said Eli and Vick. They have to prove themselves worthy of #1 overall.

NIN1984
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Not just Phillip Rivers but the Chargers as a whole

princefielder28
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Carson Palmer because he is probably the 3rd best quarterback in the league, behind Manning and Brady, he was drafted number one, and he is playing at the level where a Super Bowl may put him in Canton if he continues his exceptional play.

Philliez01
02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I think Grossman will be pressued by purely the media and maybe the fans of the Bears (not sure how they feel) and I expect that he'll be highly publicized after the Super Bowl though I wouldn't completely blame him.

Eli should get a great deal of pressure regarding that his brother won a SB, that alone should gain him some pressure. McNabb because of Garcia's performance at the end of this season and Vick will also get their fair share of pressure.

Geo
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I wonder if the NY media will actually pick up on the fact that Eli's older brother, who as Eli has to constantly hear is the far better of the two and is one of the all-time greats even, didn't even reach the Super Bowl until after he turned 30 years old.

Probably not, I'm guessing. That manner of football intelligence doesn't sell papers, does it?

By the way, I think Eli's career will turn for the better in 08 once, after 4 years with Tom Coughlin as his head coach, he gets his second/superior head coach just as Manning's career benefited from the Colts hiring Tony Dungy in 2002, after Jim Mora Sr. (similar to Coughlin in many ways) was Manning's head coach for an exact 4 years as well in 1998-2001. An interesting note there.

MNRunLeft
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I think it will be McNabb partly due to what Jeff Garcia was able to do with that team after McNabb when down. McNabb has made it to a SB and came up short some saying he choked and couldn't handle the pressure. The Eagles have consistantly been a good team in a poor NFC.

Im_a_Romosexual
02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Vick they'll rag on him for putting up bad passing stats

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I wonder if the NY media will actually pick up on the fact that Eli's older brother, who as Eli has to constantly hear is the far better of the two and is one of the all-time greats even, didn't even reach the Super Bowl until after he turned 30 years old.

Probably not, I'm guessing. That manner of football intelligence doesn't sell papers, does it?

By the way, I think Eli's career will turn for the better in 08 once, after 4 years with Tom Coughlin as his head coach, he gets his second/superior head coach just as Manning's career benefited from the Colts hiring Tony Dungy in 2002, after Jim Mora Sr. (similar to Coughlin in many ways) was Manning's head coach for an exact 4 years as well in 1998-2001. An interesting note there.
JIM MORA SENIOR IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME AND YOU WILL NOT DENEGRATE HIS HOLY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PalmerToCJ
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Carson Palmer because he is probably the 3rd best quarterback in the league, behind Manning and Brady, he was drafted number one, and he is playing at the level where a Super Bowl may put him in Canton if he continues his exceptional play.

Yeah I was thinking that right after the SB ended but I think McNabb may be the guy they go to.

If we make the playoffs next year and don't win it all then they might start rumblings about Carson like they did Peyton/Elway but as of right now you'd have to think McNabb gets annoyed by it since he's won so many playoff games but is yet to win the big one.

Only problem with McNabb being his health. Vick/Eli won't get that put on them... Just the talk about their struggles and what not. No one has big SB expectations from them. Carson has the numbers but no ring so that's what they're looking for.

Plus he's a golden boy... #1 pick, heisman winner and is the prototypical QB on a team that the media likes to talk about. Plus I think next season we're going to be one of the trendy SB picks so he'll have the high expectations placed on him.

Shiver
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Donovan McNabb deserved more criticism than Manning has. But post-Limbaugh firing, everyone is afraid to trash McNabb. But in the "big games," he was pretty dreadful in those NFCCG and Super Bowl. Then, after that, Eli Manning and Michael Vick. Both of whom, haven't lived up to their talent.

Geo
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Carson Palmer has a few more years before having to face that sort of burden.

He's either the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the league already, depending on how you rank Drew Brees, and looks to be an annual write-in to the Pro Bowl despite still being a young guy. And people understand that he's playing in the same conference as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (who'd probably be considered 1A and 1B).

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Jay Cutler

Just kidding, he'll win the big one next year :wink:

I'd say really any one of McNabb, Manning or Vick. Or maybe they'll get on Peyton for having 2 less than Brady.

Geo

JIM MORA SENIOR IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME AND YOU WILL NOT DENEGRATE HIS HOLY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comparing someone to Coughlin has become insulting. Ouch.

PalmerToCJ
Carson Palmer has a few more years before having to face that sort of burden.

He's either the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the league already, depending on how you rank Drew Brees, and looks to be an annual write-in to the Pro Bowl despite still being a young guy.

Yeah, the thing that saves Carson is the one playoff game he was in he got hurt then this year... Manning was in the playoffs quite a few times before they got real intense about it and he got close. Hopefully he can get in and win it next year to shut them up early 8)

Maybe they'll leave the QB's alone about the SB for a couple years?

toonsterwu
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Out of that list, it's McNabb.

Geo
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
If anyone is going to have the burden of the media harping down his neck to win a Super Bowl next year, it's Marty Schottenheimer.

The Chargers are already the "favorite" to win the title in 07, and the fact that the 04 #1 seed Pittsburgh Steelers and the 05 #1 seed Indianapolis Colts failed those years but then won the SB in 05 and 06 respectively, only puts more pressure on the Chargers to do the same. And of course, there's the matter of Schottenheimer's 1 year remaining on his current contract.

bearsfan_51
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Is there someone not on the list you would vote for? The site only allows so many options.

I'm mildly suprised nobody has mentioned Brees. He's took some very good teams to the playoffs and has one win to show for it.

throwback54milkman
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Ladanian Tomlinson has never won a playoff game.

Geo
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
What is going to hurt Brees is that people are already selecting the Saints as the sexy pick to be the NFC representative in SB XLII. Nick Saban clearly displayed why you should not let expectations get too high.

And to be perfectly frank, picking the Saints is somewhat foolish as they have ways to go to beat the Bears. Especially if the playoff game is in Chicago.

Cavalier17
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
i think jake delhomme's career is on a downard spiral.

UtepMiner
02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm mildly suprised nobody has mentioned Brees. He's took some very good teams to the playoffs and has one win to show for it.
He was only a QB on 2 playoff teams..he might start getting pressure in a few years if the Saints don't get to the SB but this was his first year here, and even then many people said Brees would never become a good QB early on in his career anyway...

out of that list I'd say McNabb, been to 3 NFC championships, and 1 SB.

and I agree with whoever said the Saints are now going to become the media's pre-season darling favorites like the Panthers were last year, and I hate every bit of it.....

Philliez01
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
i think jake delhomme's career is on a downard spiral.

I agree though, I think he can be decent still. I like Delhomme, I know that doesn't matter that much but he just seems like a guy with not many positives but overcame that.

I'm shocked Rex Grossman hasn't been mentioned by others. After that game, the media will be on him. I personally think he's a good QB, he just has mental lapses.

tom
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
It has to be either Drew Brees or Carson Palmer... they're the best QB's on that list

Philliez01
02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Brees will have some scrutiny by him making it to the NFC Championship game but I think he has a one-year grace period given the fact the Saints dramatic turnaround.

Palmer needs to at least play a full quarter of playoff football before anyone has to worry about him.

GB12
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Most of the guys on the poll havent been in the league longest to be considered. It's McNabb, but I'm surprised no one voted for Hass.

tom
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Most of the guys on the poll havent been in the league longest to be considered. It's McNabb, but I'm surprised no one voted for Hass.

It's because most people like Hass, but few consider him to be a 'great' QB... and as far as mcnabb goes, he's proven to be a liability these past 2 years

ks_perfection
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I voted Mcnab, I always wondered why he got so little critism about it. When he kept losing the championship games the Eagles as a whole took the heat, whereas the with the Colts it was mainly just Manning.

I can't see anyone taking too much heat this year about it.

MNRunLeft
02-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm shocked Rex Grossman hasn't been mentioned by others. After that game, the media will be on him. I personally think he's a good QB, he just has mental lapses.

I don't think anyone will care if Grossman ever wins a SB due to the fact that no one things he's good enough to win a SB. McNabb, McNair, Palmer, and Brees have had had big MVP type seasons and the same might be said for Vick, no one really thinks Grossman is in the elite caliber of NFL QB's. A player I'm actually suprised no one has mentioned is Matt Hasselbeck, he's been the a SB and has a lot of talent around him.

regoob2
02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Eli and vick will have the pressure( and all the stuff vick will do) to live up to #1 picks

PalmerToCJ
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Eli and vick will have the pressure( and all the stuff vick will do) to live up to #1 picks

Eli/Vick aren't really in the equation. They haven't lived up to the status, that's their only beef. No one really mentions them and the SB.

Palmer is the only #1 that has warranted the spot and is on a legit playoff contender.

Brees I don't think gets it as they improved so greatly last year and it was because of him.

I'll stick with McNabb as I said earlier but his health kinda effects that... Poor media, I almost feel bad for them. NOT!

TheChampIsHere
02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
McNabb and McNair because theyve come close on multiple occasions and have been to the playoffs with good teams a lot of times but they cant get it done.

Big_Brother
02-05-2007, 11:16 PM
McNabb, hes just gotten so close with some quality teams, and hasn't gotten over the hump yet.

Tubby
02-05-2007, 11:42 PM
I voted Hass, but its impossible for the media to care about the west coast.

njx9
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
i figured the answer was fairly obvious until i saw the qualification that the player had to be a QB.

GB12
02-06-2007, 01:12 AM

It's because most people like Hass, but few consider him to be a 'great' QB... and as far as mcnabb goes, he's proven to be a liability these past 2 years

He just said high profile not great.

Caddy
02-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Not just Phillip Rivers but the Chargers as a whole

Chargers are going to be under a little pressure for a while i think