PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's talking about the Patriots..

49ersfan_87
10-16-2007, 11:22 PM
But what about the Colts? I really like their chances. They just played against Tampa Bay without Marvin Harrison and Joseph Addai. That proved not to be a problem as Kenton Keith (Who? Exactly) had a great day against the Bucaneers D. Then there is the solid rookie play of LT Tony Ugoh. The line doesn't seem to have missed a beat in run or pass blocking. Marlin Jackson has been a stud this year as well. They are well-balanced on offense and have an improved defense. I think the colts could be the team to beat.

Dolfan2788
10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
The Colts imo have become a proven commodity in everyone's eyes and people know what they are going to get with the Colts and therefore they aren't really discussed much. We know their defense is a bit shoddy and we know they have a great offense but I think everyone is infatuated with the Pats and their O at the moment.

Rightly so I should add as well because they are looking absolutely prolific right now and as if no-one can stop them. I'm a fin-fan and I have to admit that the Pats in my eyes are clear SB favourites. The Colts will be there in late January and we will see them against the Pats hopefully then. But until then everyone is looking at an offense that puts up 40 points week in, week out and a defense that can go a couple of weeks without giving up a TD. THat's just great football and irresistible to watch and talk about. The Colts are the same 'ol team. :/

Ewing
10-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Because the Colts barely beat the Titans and the Patriots are curb stomping everyone. That's why nobody is talking about the Colts.

BrownsTown
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Bowl champs this year. I've posted this before. When they play NE in the AFC Championship, and come on, everyone knows that's who it will be, NE will be all they talk about. Tom Brady will be all they talk about. The Colts will come in with a chip on their shoulder and upset them. It may not happen in the regular season, but I think it will in the playoffs. To beat a team as good as NE, you need something special. Hint hint, Peyton Manning is something special.

7-11
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
But what about the Colts? I really like their chances. They just played against Tampa Bay without Marvin Harrison and Joseph Addai. That proved not to be a problem as Kenton Keith (Who? Exactly) had a great day against the Bucaneers D. Then there is the solid rookie play of LT Tony Ugoh. The line doesn't seem to have missed a beat in run or pass blocking. Marlin Jackson has been a stud this year as well. They haven't missed a beat and are well-balanced on offense, even with Kenton Keith in there. I think the colts could be the team to beat.

I think most knowledgeable football fans realise the Colts are right up there with the Pats (or atleast, i hope), it's just the whole espn thing that have the Pats as the best team ever. In saying this i do concede the Pat are the better football team but the thing is the Colts match up perfectly to beat them. The 'bend not break mentality' of the tampa 2 will hopefully slow (note: not stop) the Pats offense enough for the Colts own potent offense to outscore them. That and they've had the wood on them for the last couple of years.
God, just talking about this has me salivating for week 9.

7-11
10-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Because the Colts barely beat the Titans and the Patriots are curb stomping everyone. That's why nobody is talking about the Colts.

Sorry Tony Dungy isn't an arrogant prick who insists on going for td's on 4th down with an unbeatable lead in the 4th qtr, i guess thats what you need to be recognised in this league.

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Honestly the Colts just aren't that interesting this year. I'm not sure why. Probably because the makeup of the team is roughly the same as last year sans Dominic Rhodes and a few meaningless defensive players.

The Pats on the other hand are like an old friend you forgot about, and they've got a new group of stars too.

Add that in with the re-emergence of the Steelers under Mike Tomlin and the struggles of the Norv Turner Chargers and there just isn't that much room for Colts coverage in the AFC.

Besides...look at the absoutely ZERO coverage the Jags are getting even though they are playing very well right now. Could be worse.

Ewing
10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry Tony Dungy isn't an arrogant prick who insists on going for td's on 4th down with an unbeatable lead in the 4th qtr, i guess thats what you need to be recognised in this league.

If the Pats beat a team many considered to be one of the top three in the league by 21 and the Colts beat an average Tennessee team by two, who do you think deserves the coverage?

bearsfan_51
10-16-2007, 11:50 PM
If the Pats beat a team many considered to be one of the top three in the league by 21 and the Colts beat an average Tennessee team by two, who do you think deserves the coverage?
It really has nothing to do with that and you know it.

Ewing
10-16-2007, 11:51 PM

I think it does. The Pats are dominating everyone while the Colts are playing close games. The Pats are clearly the better team thus deserve more coverage.

7-11
10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I think it does. The Pats are dominating everyone while the Colts are playing close games. The Pats are clearly the better team thus deserve more coverage.

You don't watch the Colts do you? The game you refer to the Titans actually played well, they were at home and they're a division rival, its normally going to be a close game. The other close win the Colts had was against the much improved Texans, and guess what? Same situation, Colts on the road to a fired up division rival. The other winning margins have been 31 in the big season opener, 18 vs the Broncos and 19 vs the Bucs. Yeah, they've really struggled to 5-0.

In saying all this i think its fairly irrelavent as both teams are undefeated and the next few weeks (climaxing in week 9) are going to sort the men from the boys

One more thing, please don't buy into the Cowboys beingan elite team and that beating them was huge, their defence is vastly overrated and their offence isn't on the same level as the Colts and Pats

BlindSite
10-17-2007, 03:29 AM

Actually, playoff bound teams and future superbowl winners don't win games by small margins against lesser opponents.

They stomp their guts out and steal their lunch money.

Last year's colts were the exception, not the rule.

7-11
10-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Actually, playoff bound teams and future superbowl winners don't win games by small margins against lesser opponents.

So to win a superbowl you have to beat every 'lesser opponent' by 40 during the regular season? Tell that to the 2006 Steelers and a fair slice of other superbowl champs cause I'm fairly certain thats not how it happens most years.

fenikz
10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
As of right now the Patriots look about 3 times as good as the Colts

Brent
10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
the Patriots are curb stomping everyone
I love that phrase

B-Dawk
10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
anyone else think that the roles are going to be reversed when they play this year, with the colts running the ball and controlling the clock to keep the pats off the field

mqtirishfan
10-17-2007, 07:15 PM

2007 Pats so far: 23 point MoV.

2006 Colts: 4 point MoV.
2005 Steelers: 8 point MoV.
2004 Pats: 11 point MoV.
2003 Pats: 7 point MoV.
2002 Bucs: 9 point MoV.
2001 Pats: 6 point MoV.
2000 Ravens: 10 point MoV.
1999 Rams: 18 point MoV. Dominant team.
1998 Broncos: 12 point MoV.
1997 Broncos: 11 point MoV.
1996 Packers: 15 point MoV.

If the Pats keep this up (not likely), they'll definitely be the outlier here. Only two of the past 11 Super Bowl champs outscored their opponents by more than 2 TDs on average all year.

Oh, I'd also like to throw in that the Colts have a 15 point MoV currently.

mqtirishfan
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
anyone else think that the roles are going to be reversed when they play this year, with the colts running the ball and controlling the clock to keep the pats off the field

No. The Colts are not going to go away from what they do best to keep New England off the field. Not to mention the fact that New England's corners can't handle Harrison and Wayne.

fenikz
10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I think NE matches up a lot better with the Colts offense the the Colts match up with New England's

BrownsTown
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I think NE matches up a lot better with the Colts offense the the Colts match up with New England's

Honestly noone matches up with either of them when their on. The game screams shootout.

7-11
10-17-2007, 07:57 PM

How do you figure? I'm not saying the Colts D is better then the Pats but i just feel the Colts have a good matchup to slow down the Pats passing attack, while as shown in the past few years Peyton has somewhat figured the Pats D out

Geo
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Honestly the Colts just aren't that interesting this year. I'm not sure why. Probably because the makeup of the team is roughly the same as last year sans Dominic Rhodes and a few meaningless defensive players.

The Pats on the other hand are like an old friend you forgot about, and they've got a new group of stars too.

Add that in with the re-emergence of the Steelers under Mike Tomlin and the struggles of the Norv Turner Chargers and there just isn't that much room for Colts coverage in the AFC.

Besides...look at the absoutely ZERO coverage the Jags are getting even though they are playing very well right now. Could be worse.
Well said bf51, one of your best posts in recent memory. The Patriots with the free agent acquisitions at wide receiver (though no one is talking about Moss being on a one-year deal, and that Stallworth's deal is structured similarly to a one-year deal. God I hate the flippant idiot media.) and the free-wheelin'-Parcells-less Cowboys are the sexier stories. The Packers are actually relevant again, something Favre hasn't been in years amidst all his compiling. The overly-mouthy Chargers team who fell on their face with a coach of that proven track record, the post-Super Bowl XLI Bears, etcetera.

And that's fine, running with the sexier story. Or at least it is what it is. Sportscenter leads off with damn Yankees stories for crying out loud, despite the team having already been bounced early like an intelligent being thought they would. It's not worth crying about.

The media can't even talk about the Colts right, they rode them all bloody offseason for their "losses" like the idea of roster turnover was foreign to them. Even though the Colts had done it for years beforehand. Recently, all they could talk about going into the Bucs game was the injuries and who wasn't playing. Meh.

The Unseen
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM

Right now they're getting more pub because of the Monday Nighter. Maybe it's because they just had their bye week, but I think the Steelers aren't getting enough credit.

Geo
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
The Steelers have played all of one division game, against Cleveland in Week 1. They aren't worth talking about for the time being.

I think it's also interesting how resigned the media is to the Patriots at Colts game in Week 9, like there's nothing else on the schedule.

The Unseen
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
The Steelers have played all of one division game, against Cleveland in Week 1. They aren't worth talking about for the time being.

I think it's also interesting how resigned the media is to the Patriots at Colts game in Week 9, like there's nothing else on the schedule.

It's because it's such a great media story, so it's natural that they'd gravitate to it. Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. Marvin Harrison. And now, Randy Moss. ZOMG.

Geo
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm half-expecting ads for the Week 9 Pats @ Colts game to start running now like some PPV boxing match, lol.

It's actually a CBS game this year, not on primetime, though I can't immediately recall if it's a 1PM ET or 4 PM ET start. It was CBS' turn to get the game, or at least they made sure they hung onto it, as Colts @ Pats was on Monday Night Football in Week 9 of 2005, and Colts @ Pats was on Sunday Night Football in Week 8 of 2006.

But it's Week 7 now.

I think the Cleveland Browns are a great story in this season so far. I hope they continue to do well.

ks_perfection
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
2007 Pats so far: 23 point MoV.

2006 Colts: 4 point MoV.
2005 Steelers: 8 point MoV.
2004 Pats: 11 point MoV.
2003 Pats: 7 point MoV.
2002 Bucs: 9 point MoV.
2001 Pats: 6 point MoV.
2000 Ravens: 10 point MoV.
1999 Rams: 18 point MoV. Dominant team.
1998 Broncos: 12 point MoV.
1997 Broncos: 11 point MoV.
1996 Packers: 15 point MoV.

If the Pats keep this up (not likely), they'll definitely be the outlier here. Only two of the past 11 Super Bowl champs outscored their opponents by more than 2 TDs on average all year.

Oh, I'd also like to throw in that the Colts have a 15 point MoV currently.

Look at the tams the Pats have played so far. Bengals, Browns both have terrible defenses. Jets, Bills are very bad (the Bills offense is so bad that the D spends alot more time on the field, so they give up even more points). And they played the chargers, who's D has been so-so this year.

Dam8610
10-18-2007, 01:48 AM

Titans: #4 scoring defense

The Closest thing the Patriots have played to that? #15 San Diego. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Anyway, I urge everyone to continue to ignore the Colts, that turned out very well for the Colts and their fans last year, so please, by all means, continue.