PDA

View Full Version : Turtlepower's Mock Numero Uno!!!!

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 02:54 AM
So this is my first mock ever!!!!! I hope you like. Give my comments and criticisms because I'll take them and improve next time.

Also, the order was from ESPN power rankings, so don't complain. =D

1. Miami Dolphins: DT Glenn Dorsey LSU
Cameron will not take a QB here due to him passing on Quinn for Beck in 07 Draft, so Dorsey is the best player to take. He might be more suited for a 4-3, but Dorsey has the motor and talent to play in a 3-4 just fine.

2. Rams: OT Jake Long Michigan
When healthy, they have one of the best o-lines in the league. When not healthy, they have one of the worst o-lines due to their lack of depth. Long is one of the more versatile OT who is a great run blocker as well as an above-average pass blocker. He is better suited to play RT, but can switch over in case of injuries on the line.

3. Jets: RB Darren McFadden Arkansas
Thomas Jones was a solution to the Jets running game, but it is not working out like they planned. McFadden is possibly the best player in the draft, but he falls to 3rd because Miami and St. Louis have very capable backs.

4. Falcons: QB Brian Brohm Louisville
QB is probably a unanimous choice for Atlanta because the Harrington/Leftwich experiment isn’t going so well. The question is who do they pick? Brohm, Woodson or Ryan. I’m going with Brohm, but not because he goes a long way back with Petrino. Brohm is a more mobile QB than Woodson and much better on the short route. Brohm fits into Petrino’s offense much more than Woodson.

5. Bills: DT Sendrick Ellis USC
The Bills are once again in the bottom of the league in rushing defense and have only amounted to 4 sacks in 6 games. Ellis is a disruptive force who compares favorably to Warren Sapp with his skill of getting to the QB.

6. Bengals: DE Calalis Campbell Miami
How the Bengals have fallen? I predicted this team to be in the playoffs, but their defense is not supporting that offense of theirs. Campbell is a prospect with all of the physical tools to succeed, but can sometimes disappear in games. Only 1 player (Justin Smith) has multiple sacks on the team (2), so Campbell would definitely be an upgrade on a d-line that is 31st in the league in Rushing Defense.

7. Saints: S Kenny Phillips Miami
A team that many picked to win the Super Bowl is now in the bottom 10. Their pass defense has been atrocious all year and the best DB in the league can seal that up.

8. Raiders: OT Sam Baker USC
I really thought that Robert Gallery was going to pan out someday in Oakland, but that obviously never happened. Baker is an upgrade over Sims and Kiffin is very familiar with him from USC.

9. Patriots (f/49ers): ILB Dan Connor Penn State
Smart, hard hitter who replaces an aging Teddy Bruschi.

10. Bears: QB André Woodson Kentucky
They need a QB, the draft gives them a QB. I would like to see them get a veteran in the offseason and not make Woodson start immediately, but never pass up on a franchise QB and here he is. Woodson has all the intagibles and only falls this far for the teams in front of the Bears not needing a QB.

11. Vikings: QB Matt Ryan BC
Even though the Tavaris Jackson experiment is in its infancy, there is no need for it to continue. Ryan has amazing intangibles mixed with a great arm and above average accuracy. I could see the Vikings not taking Ryan, but they better.

12. Broncos: DB Reggie Smith Oklahoma
Reggie Smith is making a name for himself as one of the best CBs in the league. I believe that his ability and reported 4.45 speed can translate very well to a FS in Denver.

13. Texans: OT Ryan Clady Boise St.
Same old story. Texans need a tackle, so they should take one in the first. They can’t possibly go d-line again, can they?

14. Dallas (f/Browns): DE Chris Long UVA
Cowboys struck gold with Long falling into their laps. He is the best pure 3-4 DE and is a need for the Cowboys, no matter what anyone of their fans say.

15. Cardinals: DE/OLB Quentin Groves Auburn
As the Cardinals switch to a 3-4 defense, Groves is the perfect fit to be a pass-rushing OLB.

16. Eagles: OLB Keith Rivers USC
With Takeo Spikes up their in age, a fresh talented OLB is needed. Rivers is great against the run and very nice in coverage.

17. Chiefs: OT Gosder Cherilus BC
Kansas City’s problems outreach their QB play (which has been solid so far this year). A new o-line needs to be brought in and Cherilus can help get it done. On a side not, if they don’t resign Jared Allen this could easily turn into a DE.

18. Lions: CB Justin King Penn State
Ever since making a horrible trade with Denver, the Lions have needed a good cover-corner. King has showed at Penn State that he is more than able to get the job done in Detroit.

19. Seahawks: WR Desean Jackson Cal
My first truly controversial choice. Save for Branch, the Seahawks lack a solid #2 receiver and Jackson is more than capable of filling that void with exceptional hands, route running, and speed. Nate Burleson has showed that he is not suited to be a PR this year, so Jackson comes in and helps the team be at least 5 yards deeper at the start of a drive. (On a side note, I though the Titans would pick Ginn at #19 last year, but we see what happened there.)

20. Panthers: S Nic Harris Oklahoma
The Panthers have been in need of a safety for years and get a stud in Nic Harris who comes out early with fellow Oklahoma DB Reggie Smith.

21. Titans: WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma
The entire Oklahoma team decides to come out early and Kelly gets picked up by the Titans to improve their lackluster core of WRs.

22. Redskins: DE Derrick Harvey Florida
A stud DE from Florida comes out, but falls this far due to other team’s needs. The Redskins passed on a DE last year for Laron Landry, but I don’t see them passing on a DE again.

23. Chargers: CB Antoine Cason Arizona
The Chargers don’t have a pick until Day 2, so they decide to address their defense by picking a CB. Cason hasn’t played as well this year as last, but nether has the entire Arizona defense, so his drop off of production can possibly be determined more by the team than his play.

24. Giants: CB Mike Jenkins USF
The Giants need a CB and it is a toss-up for me between Jenkins and Talib. I see Jenkins as a bit more polished, so he is the choice.

25. Buccaneers: OT Tony Hills Texas
Hills has oddly enough been flying under the radar at Texas. I see his stock dramatically rising at the Senior Bowl, but he is available here and gives Tampa the OT they need.

26. Ravens: CB Aqib Talib Kansas
The Ravens need a CB, but not dramatically. Their biggest need is probably QB, but there are none with enough value to take here.

27. Packers: CB Terrell Thomas USC
Every team wants a CB, but there are not enough top quality guys to go around. Thomas has been great at times, but his stock just dropped after USC played Stanford. If he plays to his form last year, he is great value. If he plays the way he has been recently, he will be a bust.

28. Jaguars: WR Harry Douglas Louisville
It was funny how at the beginning of the year, everyone was positive that the Jags would be picking in the top-10 and grabbing a QB. Well, David Garrard has so far proven to be a more than capable QB (albeit for half a season) and the Jags address a WR (again). Douglas has gone up on my board not only because of the great season he is having, but also from the injuries of seniors Limas Sweed and Early Doucet.

29. Cowboys: OT Barry Richardson Clemson
Richardson might be a bit overrated, but he surely addresses a need for the Cowboys.

30. Steelers: RB Jonathan Stewart Oregon
They are a team that loves a dual-running back system and Stewart manages to fall into their grasp.

31. 49ers (f/Colts): DE Lawrence Jackson USC
A 3-4 DE is just what the Niners are looking for, so they get one in Jackson who can play both 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE.

32. Patriots: Forfeited due to them cheating.

Caddy
10-17-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm not a big fan of Tony Hills playing at LT for the Buccaneers. Donald Penn is doing an admirable job for a first year starter and Hills doesn't seem like a huge upgrade. If a guy like Clady or Baker was available, then sure, but Hills just doesn't make as much sense.

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not a big fan of Tony Hills playing at LT for the Buccaneers. Donald Penn is doing an admirable job for a first year starter and Hills doesn't seem like a huge upgrade. If a guy like Clady or Baker was available, then sure, but Hills just doesn't make as much sense.

I'm sure it matters on your impression of Hills. I see him as someone who can potentially start at LT in the NFL. He has great size and quickness, but lacks a ton of experience.

Finsfan79
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
good miami pick imo

Mr. Stiller
10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I love Jon Stewart. But We need too much help elsewhere.. our OL is holding together with Elmers Glue, our LB's are aging, our #2 CB is surely going to retire in the next 2 years.

Meanwhile we have a 27 year old, a 24 year old and a 21 Year old RB. I'd say it's the least of our worries.

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I love Jon Stewart. But We need too much help elsewhere.. our OL is holding together with Elmers Glue, our LB's are aging, our #2 CB is surely going to retire in the next 2 years.

Meanwhile we have a 27 year old, a 24 year old and a 21 Year old RB. I'd say it's the least of our worries.

I feel like this is a time where value trumps need. I would have given you guys a CB in a heart beat, but everyone else sure wants one.

MaddHatter
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Interesting Cowboys Draft

DE and OT - I don't buy either for a couple of reasons - DE we have 5 players that are good (not great) - it's a luxury pick at best; as for OT, yes we need a LT for Adams, but after spending a 3rd and 5th last year and having McQuistan being groomed for a couple years, I'd find it hard to believe we take one. On top of that, Jerrah has never taken an OL in the 1st round... NEVER - don't see that changing.

The way you have it, I'd rather us take King with 1a and Stewart or Bowman with 1b

neko4
10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Decent pack pick considering the CB's already taken. I like Lowerey better as a personal fave

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Decent pack pick considering the CB's already taken. I like Lowerey better as a personal fave

At the beginning of the season, I would have picked Lowery. So far this season, he looks like he doesn't deserve to be a Day 1 pick (Marcus McCauley syndrome).

KCJ58
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
like the Rams pick if Pace retires but if he dosnt we'll take Campbell

scottyboy
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
good G-men position, bad pick. I'd rather Talib or Thomas

Green Bay Scat
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
im sad, no Vandy? Chris Williams will be a better LT than Hills in the NFL

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
im sad, no Vandy? Chris Williams will be a better LT than Hills in the NFL

I was considering giving the nod of Chris Williams to Dallas instead of Barry Richardson, but I feel like he will be a sleeper 2nd rounder that teams are gonna jump at (i.e. Tony Ugoh).

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 01:39 PM
good G-men position, bad pick. I'd rather Talib or Thomas

I was very torn here. I am even thinking of switching the pick with Talib, but I feel that Jenkins gets the nod just because he is slightly faster than Talib.

scottyboy
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I was very torn here. I am even thinking of switching the pick with Talib, but I feel that Jenkins gets the nod just because he is slightly faster than Talib.

i dont know who's faster, more polished, etc. i just would die if we picked a player from USF

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
i dont know who's faster, more polished, etc. i just would die if we picked a player from USF

Especially if they beat Rutgers this weekend.

scottyboy
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Well it wont matter as the will lose at Rutgers this weekend.

whew, that was one god awful typo. Are you drunk?

Turtlepower
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Nevermind... Goddamn work computers.

T-RICH49
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
good KC pick.Carl Peterson has already stated that he won't let JA get away so OL or CB would be the pick

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
As far as the Cowboys, I dont it would be smart to argue that we dont need a 3-4 DE, but I see us getting a need position in FA, and I think its a possibility we get a FA at DE, and take Corner 1st pick to get younger, Reggie Smith or Justin King, that is if Kenny Phillips is gone by the time we pick...

2nd pick I dont think we go O line, we took alot of fliers on late rd picks last yr, and if just one pans out I dont think we go O line at least first rd, I could see us taking Lawrence Jackson, or best wr available at that point, maybe Doucet to take Glenns role...

also I think Malcolm Kelly is long gone before 21, if he last until 20 we may be tempted to move up, he is going to be a stud and a future #1 wr, something we could use in a few years

Crazy_Chris
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I like the vikings pick very much good job.