PDA

View Full Version : A complete mockery of the NFL Draft

NYGibril28
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
1. Dallas Cowboys (v/MIA) Ė Well Cleo Lemon and John Beck are expected to share the QB duties for the remainder of the season, and with the team just trading WR Chris Chambers itís going to be even tougher than before. Ronnie Brown is having a breakout season, one of the few bright spots the Dolphins have had this year. The offensive line could use some upgrading, but neither Jake Long nor Phil Loadholt deserves to be the number one overall pick. On defense, they are running a hybrid defense. They donít have the right personnel right now though. So, they look to trade. What I am about to do here may not be the popular pick, but itís something I can see happening. Letís look to Dallas shall we? Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alumni, and with Julius Jones likely in his last year in Dallas, Darren McFadden is awfully intriguing. I can see Jones pulling the trigger and moving up here, and for the sake of this draft, thatís what Iím going to do.

Trade: Dallas trades their two first round picks (14, 30) and a 2009 3rd round pick to the Miami Dolphins for their 1st round pick (1).

Selection: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas Razorbacks (Jr.)

2. St. Louis Rams Ė A huge disappointment is an understatement for the Rams season thus far. They were expected to compete for the NFC West title with Marc Bulger, and Steven Jackson predicting 2,500 of total offense. How does that crow taste? The defense though, hasnít helped either. The Rams have two options here, Glenn Dorsey or Jake Long. I donít see Long being the pick here. Orlando Pace still has some years left in him and they have a first round pick in Alex Barron on the right side. I canít see them taking Long to sit on the bench and wait for Pace to retire. Glenn Dorsey is a great talent at DT, one of the best Iíve ever seen. He will be able to contribute immediately to this defense.

Selection: Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State Tigers

3. New York Jets Ė Well, the Jets surely would have loved to have Darren McFadden here, and now that heís gone, they donít have many options. Calais Campbell is not a good fit for the 3-4, and their isnít a LB worth taking here. Kenny Phillips is an option, but itís a bit early to be taking a safety. Jake Long is the best option in my mind outside of a trade down, although I donít see any teams looking to trade up at this point. A lot of people say Long is more of a RT, and the Jets could use an upgrade over Anthony Clement, who is solid at best.

Selection: Jake Long, OT, Michigan Wolverines

4. Atlanta Falcons Ė Joey Harrington. Have I explained myself enough? The team is going nowhere as long as he is at the helm, and while I have always been an admirer of him, Byron Leftwich isnít the answer either. Bobby Petrino is already being scrutinized in Atlanta, and he is losing the team very quickly. I honestly wouldnít be surprised if Atlanta doesnít win another game this year. The team needs a change and bringing in a new QB as the new face of the franchise is exactly what we need. Do I have to be so clichť as to bring up the Petrino to Brohm connection? Well, I just did.

Selection: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville Cardinals

5. Buffalo Bills Ė Well whether itís Trent Edwards or J.P. Losman, the Bills have a good young QB. I am a fan of both and think the Bills are in good shape for the future if they can add some more weapons on offense and improve on defense. They have a good duo of safeties in Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner, but they could use help at CB. Malcolm Jenkins is the best CB in the draft, but at 5, itís a reach. The depth isnít there at LB either, so they look to the defensive line. Calais Campbell is there best option here. Aaron Schobel is one of the more underrated defensive ends in the league, but Chris Kelsay is someone the Bills can replace.

Selection: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami Hurricanes (Jr.)

6. Cincinnati Bengals Ė This year has been disappointing. With so much talent on offense itís a shame to see the defense let them down this bad. The lack of a running game has hurt the Bengals though, but when healthy Rudi is a very solid back. If McFadden falls to them though, I wouldnít be surprised if they took him. On defense, they could use help everywhere except CB, but especially at DE. Calais Campbell would have been a dream come true, but Chris Long is not far behind him in my eyes. He is a great player with a good head for the game. In my opinion, heís the safer pick over Campbell anyway.

Selection: Chris Long, DE, Virginia Cavaliers

7. New Orleans Saints Ė A slow start, but I fully expect the Saints to turn it around and possibly make a late run at the playoffs. They have all the tools in place on offense, depending on Deuce McAllisterís injury though a compliment back to Bush may be a need. LB is their biggest need on defense but Kenny Phillips provides the best value and should be the pick. He could step in and become a replacement for Josh Bullocks, who has become a liability in the secondary.

Selection: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami Hurricanes (Jr.)

8. Oakland Raiders Ė This pick could go in two directions as I see it. Offensive line, or defensive line, with the potential darkhorse being DeSean Jackson. For now, itís between Phil Loadholt or Sedrick Ellis. Loadholt provides the better value, but Ellis is the bigger need. In the end, I canít see Davis investing in an OT with Robert Gallery on the roster. I think he has to much pride to admit when he made a mistake. Ellis is not a bad pick though, and he could help out with the pass rush in Oakland.

Selection: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California Trojans

9. New England Patriots (v/SF) Ė The Patriots are in very good shape. They have the best team in the league, and a high first round draft pick. The weakness, if you could even call it that as it hasnít shown, is the Patriots age at LB. James Laurinaitis has been the popular pick here, but itís the best one. He would look great in a New England uniform.

Selection: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State Buckeyes (Jr.)

10. Chicago Bears Ė The Rex Grossman era is finally over. Donít worry Chicago fans, he wonít hurt you anymore, I promise. Brian Griese is a good replacement short term, but if the Bears want to win in the future, they need to bring in a young signal caller. Matt Ryan is someone who has risen to this point with a great Senior season. He has all the tools you look for in a quarterback, and while he doesnít stick out in any particular area, he does everything well.

Selection: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College Eagles

11. Minnesota Vikings Ė This is an interesting pick in the draft. Brad Childress has put his faith in Tavaris Jackson to be his quarterback. While he has all the physical tools you look for, he hasnít really matured at all as a passer since arriving in the league. If Childress is still around at the end of the year, Iím not so sure what he does here, but if not, the Vikings will have no choice but to take a QB here. I donít expect Childress to be back though.

Selection: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky Wildcats

12. Denver Broncos Ė Another team that has performed below expectations. The Broncos have a lot of talent on offense, itís just a matter of getting them on the field at the same time. Jay Cutler is going to be a good QB in this league, whether you like him or not. The defense could use help though, and anywhere except for CB. LB provides the best value here and Dan Connor could come in and possibly start right away.

Selection: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State Nittany Lions

13. Houston Texans Ė Itís been an up and down year for the Texans this year, and they are a team with a bright future. They need a RB though. I donít think Steve Slaton is going to come out, and if he does, heís a reach at 13th overall. Jonathan Stewart isnít a good fit for the zone blocking scheme either. I think they look to the defense, where they have a lot of young talent, but not everywhere. They could use a CB to play opposite of Dunta Robinson, as Demarcus Faggins isnít a great option. With every CB available, I think they jump here.

Selection: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes (Jr.)

14. Miami Dolphins (v/DALv/CLE) Ė This scenario could not have worked out more perfectly for the Dolphins. They pick up an extra first round pick and are still able to land a premier offensive tackle. Phil Loadholt is an athletic offensive tackle. Heís a LT by trade, but he is versatile enough to play either tackle position.

Selection: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma Sooners (Jr.)

15. Arizona Cardinals Ė All the pieces are in place for the Cardinals on offense, aside from maybe a spot or two on the offensive line. The defense is whatís going to get them over the hump and into playoff territory. They could use a DE, as Antonio Smith could be upgraded. However, Smith has been solid for the early part of the year and if he keeps that up they can afford to look elsewhere. Roderick Hood is their best CB right now and Antrel Rolle has yet to pan out for them. Reggie Smith is a CB/FS tweener who is going to be good wherever you put him. Heís an outstanding athlete who has a nose for the ball.

Selection: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma Sooners (Jr.)

16. Philadelphia Eagles Ė People seem quick to give the Eagles an offensive tackle recently. That wasnít the real Winston Justice that night, plus they still have Tra Thomas. They are set on the defensive line, but they could use help at LB. Keith Rivers is their best option here.

Selection: Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California Trojans

17. Kansas City Chiefs Ė The sudden retirement of Willie Roaf in the preseason made offensive tackle a huge need for the Chiefs. They have a few question marks on defense in the secondary, but nothing they canít address later in the draft. Ryan Clady is the perfect fit for this offense and could come in and start immediately.

Selection: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State Broncoes (Jr.)

18. Detroit Lions Ė The Lions have a couple of options here. Jonathan Goff is a player I really like, but at 18, heís a bit of a reach. There is a lot of talent left at DE where the Lions could use some help also. I think LB is a much bigger need, so in the end, I think Millen takes a shot and goes with Goff. If they could find some one to trade down with, I would like this pick a lot more.

Selection: Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt Commadores

19. Seattle Seahawks Ė The Seahawks, despite being 3-3, do not have a lot of holes at all. That being the case, I think they can afford to draft someone here with the intent of being used in the future. I think at this time, bringing in a quality RB behind Alexander will help out the offense and franchise. Jonathan Stewart is a quality running back, with good size, speed, and strength. Heís a lot like Alexander, but quicker.

Selection: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon Ducks (Jr.)

20. Carolina Panthers Ė With both of their offensive tackles set to be free agents this offseason, this pick could potentially become easy. If a QB falls to them, or if some one else raises there stock, then thatís an option, but for now, the safe pick is an OT.

Selection: Sam Baker, OT, Southern California Trojans

21. Tennessee Titans Ė They need more weapons around VY, and with DeSean Jackson still on the board here, they have to jump on him. Yeah, they have a lot of fast, shift receivers, but none of them are, or ever will be on Jacksonís level. Heís a more polished Ted Ginn, and he deserves to go a lot higher than this but falls due to the lack of need.

Selection: DeSean Jackson, WR, California Golden Bears (Jr.)

22. Washington Redskins Ė The Redskins could use some help at WR, but the reemergence of Antwan Randle-El doesnít make it so much of a necessity anymore. Although bringing in someone like Adarius Bowman wouldnít be a bad option. Despite having a solid unit, they need help on defense. LB and Safety they are all set. CB they could use depth, but they need to find an upgrade over Philip Daniels at DE. Derrick Harvey fits that mold.

Selection: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida Gators (Jr.)

23. San Diego Chargers Ė The only real position where they may need a starter is at LB. That being said, whoís available? Philip Wheeler is, and while some may question his ability to play inside in a 3-4, Iím not one one of them. He has shown how versatile he is at Georgia Tech and he has a knack for being around the ball.

Selection: Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

24. New York Giants Ė What a difference a few games make. With a relatively easy schedule for the remainder of the year, the Giants look poised to be in the playoff hunt, just weeks after being 0-2 after two embarrassing losses. They still need help on defense though. Value isnít there at LB, where they need help the most, so the next option is CB. A future tandem of Aaron Ross and Antoine Cason sounds good to me.

Selection: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona Wildcats

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Ė Like the Panthers, if a QB falls to them or someone makes a rise, that has to be an option. The defense has performed very well this year, and thatís a big reason why they are 4-2. They could go two ways here. WR, or DT. Frank Okam is a great talent, but I think teams will be turned away when they see the tape, and see him disappear at times during games. Joey Galloway canít play forever, and when he is finally gone, Maurice Stovall and Michael Clayton arenít reliable one/two options.

Selection: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State Cowboys

26. Baltimore Ravens Ė For now, the Ravens have switched back to the 3-4. Thatís partly due to the departure of Adalius Thomas. Bringing in a replacement would enable them to transition back. Quentin Groves is the best hybrid player available, and he makes the most sense here. Even if they donít switch back, he could still help out at DE.

Selection: Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn Tigers

27. Green Bay Packers Ė The Packers have been a great story so far this year, as annoying as it is hearing so much about Brett Favre, you have to respect what heís done, with no running game. Like I said before, I donít think Slaton will come out, and I think they give Brandon Jackson more time before they draft another RB. So, we look to the defense. Charles Woodson and Al Harris is a great tandem, but they are both over 30, and there is no depth behind them.

Selection: Justin King, CB, Penn State Nittany Lions (Jr.)

28. Jacksonville Jaguars Ė Who knew David Garrard would perform so well? Not me. An improvement lately in the running game has helped also. Their arenít many glaring needs, but there are places where they need help. OT is one of those spots, and Chris Williams is a good talent, but so is Lawrence Jackson at DE. Either one is a good pick, but for this pick, I like Williams a bit more.

Selection: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt Commadores

29. Pittsburgh Steelers Ė Seeing Chris Williams go one pick ahead of them has to hurt a bit, so the next best option is Tony Hills. If Vernon Gholston comes out, heís an option here as well.

Selection: Tony Hills, OT, Texas Longhorns

30. San Francisco 49ers (v/IND) Ė The 49ers need weapons on offense is they are going to go where they want to go. Darrell Jackson is solid, but he canít do it all himself. They need a deep threat that can be reliable, (Iím talking to you Ashley Lelie). A great senior campaign makes this selection possibly for Harry Douglas

Selection: Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville Cardinals

31. Miami Dolphins (v/DAL) Ė With their second pick of the first round, there still isnít any great 3-4 personnel available. That being the case they look to the secondary, where there is still a lot of good talent available. In-state product Mike Jenkins comes to mind, and he could be able to contribute immediately.

Selection: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida Bulls

Comments a plenty please...

neko4
10-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Good packers pick

Green Bay Scat
10-18-2007, 12:07 AM
now if only EB was drafted lol, i really like Goff as a Mike in the tampa 2, detroit would be the perfect fit for him as their is a big need, if he falls to round 2, i see Detroit trading up to get a 10 year player for them

Turtlepower
10-18-2007, 12:53 AM
King over Cason... IMO.

Joeyjr09
10-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Loadholt is a solid pick for the Dolphins but Jenkins in round 1 seems like a stretch. Not sure I like that pick. I'd think youd see more guys like Malcolm Kelly, Aqib Talib, Vernon Gholston come out and be picked in the 1st ahead of guys like Jonathan Goff, Chris Williams and Mike Jenkins who don't seem to be 1st rounders at this point.

WMD
10-18-2007, 01:28 AM
#14, #31, and an 09 Round 3 pick is not enough to move up to #1 overall.. The 09 pick would have to be a Round 1.. . And even then, it still might not get the deal done, they'd probably still have to throw in a Round 2 this year and another pick from next year.

If you go by the Draft Pick Value Chart.. #1 Overall = 3000 Points.. #14 = 1100, and #31 = 600.. That's 1300 more points that need to be made up.. The #62 Overall pick is worth 284 Points.. The total from the 08 Draft would be 1984 Points..

Draft picks from the next year don't hold the same value as they do the current year.. Needing to still make up 1,016 points, they'd probably need to add a Round 2 in addition to the Round 1 from '09..

In the end, it'd come up to:: #14, #31, #62, 2009 Round 1, 2009 Round 2 for the Cowboys to get the #1 Overall pick in the 2008 Draft.. And that's why the #1 Overall Pick rarely gets traded.

thule
10-18-2007, 01:45 AM
The Dallas trade is a long shot...by moving out of the top 10 completely with the first pick you miss out on the top tier talent. While they pick up picks it's still worth way more than that. If Dallas is to land McFadden one of two things is going to have to happen. McFadden is going to have to fall out of the top 5 or Cle is going to have to finish in the top 10...if either of these happens it becomes a realistic possibility.

I don't care what team you are...RT's are not worthy or top 20 picks let alone top 3. Now while Long might hold value you don't pay a RT that type of money or invest that much into a position that really doesn't hold extreme value. It makes sense from a need standpoint..but no way a move like that is made.

Caddy
10-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Relatively solid pick and a good analysis too back it up. I am SO glad that you refrained from giving the Buc's Frank Okam. Whilst Bowman is not my favourite wideout in this class, until the season is over and draft status is established, it is a relatively solid pick.

Green Bay Scat
10-18-2007, 04:10 AM
Loadholt is a solid pick for the Dolphins but Jenkins in round 1 seems like a stretch. Not sure I like that pick. I'd think youd see more guys like Malcolm Kelly, Aqib Talib, Vernon Gholston come out and be picked in the 1st ahead of guys like Jonathan Goff, Chris Williams and Mike Jenkins who don't seem to be 1st rounders at this point.

tsk u sayin vandy guys have no talent?

NYGibril28
10-18-2007, 06:07 AM
#14, #31, and an 09 Round 3 pick is not enough to move up to #1 overall.. The 09 pick would have to be a Round 1.. . And even then, it still might not get the deal done, they'd probably still have to throw in a Round 2 this year and another pick from next year.

If you go by the Draft Pick Value Chart.. #1 Overall = 3000 Points.. #14 = 1100, and #31 = 600.. That's 1300 more points that need to be made up.. The #62 Overall pick is worth 284 Points.. The total from the 08 Draft would be 1984 Points..

Draft picks from the next year don't hold the same value as they do the current year.. Needing to still make up 1,016 points, they'd probably need to add a Round 2 in addition to the Round 1 from '09..

In the end, it'd come up to:: #14, #31, #62, 2009 Round 1, 2009 Round 2 for the Cowboys to get the #1 Overall pick in the 2008 Draft.. And that's why the #1 Overall Pick rarely gets traded.

Damn, I really liked what I did there. Thanks for the info though man.

Crow
10-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Ellis to Oakland is quite acceptable.

Bills2083
10-18-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure about the Bills pick because we extended Kelsay for $24 million.

Unless we trade Kelsay, I dont really see this happening.

NIN1984
10-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Great Raiders pick and good reason.

NYGibril28
10-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure about the Bills pick because we extended Kelsay for $24 million.

Unless we trade Kelsay, I dont really see this happening.

I didn't know they extended Kelsey, plus, they don't have that many other options there either.

Jughead10
10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
It is so hard to judge Loadholt's draft stock right now. Mainly because this is his first year with Oklahoma and who really knows if he plans on coming out. I wouldn't suprised if he was the first OT taken and a top 5 picks when all is said and done.

M.O.T.H.
10-18-2007, 09:30 AM

As of right now, Mike is probably a mid-late first rounder. He has been outstanding and is really starting to seperate himself from the rest of the seniors.

Finsfan79
10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Damn, I really liked what I did there. Thanks for the info though man.

miami would I bet take less but they would most likely want

2 1sts, 1st next year and something.

If Cleveland was out of the top 10 of course. If Cleveland sucks the rest of the year (possible) and finishes like number 6 say then it is fully possible.

Gridiron
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
A RT at #3? I'd rather have Phillips.

thebow305
10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Great Miami Picks! I would be ecstatic is our first round played out like that! that trade would be awesome! Great job overall, i really like how this turned out.... nice work!

10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
the raiders need a playmaker to stretch the defense aka desean jackson..but yes i see him as the darkhorse pick there right now

OSUGiants17
10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
great mock, I like it alot

brat316
10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I think the Eagles are set for LB, they have drafted many of them over the past 3 years including this past year an adding Spikes. I think a bigger need for them would be Saftey with B-dwak getting old. SS since considine is doing really good at playing FS, while Dawkins was injured. Another position would be WR/PR/KR they need someone with speed or electifying player.

Cards i think a DE/OLB is where they will go, since they are switching to the 3-4. They need personal, i think inside LB, Pace and Dansby are doing good on the outside. Pace is playing really good, he is doing more now then when he was drafted for DE. I think a Big DE to compliment Docket is needed. Since Branch can play Nose DT. Saftey might be a way to go, but so far the two college teamats of Holt and Wilson are doing good.

Pitsburgh I think they will draft someone along the line, I think it is going to be guard. Because Fancea LG is leaving, Marvell LT was giving a contract. Other side I think is up for grabs, i think center is up for grabs if someone gets drafted. OLB is also a possiblity or a cover 2 Cb

Titansfan777
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I Love That Titans Pick!!!

BaLLiN
10-22-2007, 08:22 PM
the giants pick is good, we just have to see how the corner position ranks after the college season ends