PDA

View Full Version : Brennan to Play in Senior Bowl

Scott Wright
10-18-2007, 01:24 AM
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/SPORTS0201/710170425/1032/SPORTS0201&template=UHsports

As I have said all along this is going to be his big opportunity. I know I can't WAIT to see him play in a traditional offense and evaluate him up close for a week. He's the only confirmed plays for the game that I know of so far but there won't be another play who I will be more excited to see in Mobile.

Turtlepower
10-18-2007, 01:27 AM
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/SPORTS0201/710170425/1032/SPORTS0201&template=UHsports

As I have said all along this is going to be his big opportunity. I know I can't WAIT to see him play in a traditional offense and evaluate him up close for a week. He's the only confirmed plays for the game that I know of so far but there won't be another play who I will be more excited to see in Mobile.

I completely agree, but the injuries may have hurt his stock too much for him to still be a first-rounder. Maybe if he plays as the #1 QB at the Senior Bowl, then he might be given a flyer late by a team like Tampa Bay.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I agree with Scott. This is likely going to the single most important event of the coming offseason for Brennan in trying to establish himself a legitimate 1st round quarterback.

With the upper class quarterback prospects almost all being seniors, it'll be interesting in how many feel that heading to Mobile is worthwhile.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 02:28 AM

No shock. I don't know of a bigger competitor in the game hungrier and more willing to prove critics wrong than Colt.

I'll be surprised if Woodson and Brohm suit up. It's hard to look good on the same playing field next to Colt.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 02:29 AM
I completely agree, but the injuries may have hurt his stock too much for him to still be a first-rounder. Maybe if he plays as the #1 QB at the Senior Bowl, then he might be given a flyer late by a team like Tampa Bay.
At this point last year, NOBODY thought Russell was going to be the first pick of the draft... or even top 10.

BucSappy
10-18-2007, 03:12 AM
I'll be surprised if Woodson and Brohm suit up. It's hard to look good on the same playing field next to Colt.

Yeah, I mean, it's also hard to produce against the likes of San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, and the University of Idaho.

While we're at it: WAC>SEC. :confused:

Sveen
10-18-2007, 03:33 AM
The Senior Bowl will be huge for him. Should be interesting to see how he does.

WMD
10-18-2007, 04:25 AM
I know I'll be watching!

Addict
10-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Good for him, a chance to show what ahe can do

Brent
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Should be exciting, I am curious to see him play under center in a normal offense.

Jughead10
10-18-2007, 08:18 AM
No shock. I don't know of a bigger competitor in the game hungrier and more willing to prove critics wrong than Colt.

Are you kidding me? Hard to look good on the field next to Colt. Brennan has far more question to answer than either one of those other guys. Brennan has to show he can lead and run a more traditional offense before he can worry about trying to outshine either one of those two.

Jughead10
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
At this point last year, NOBODY thought Russell was going to be the first pick of the draft... or even top 10.

More people also weren't as familiar with Rusell at this point last year because he was a junior and wasn't hyped up as much as a sophmore because he was still raw. Everyone knows of Brennan because he almost came out last year and puts his gaudy stats in the Hawaii offense.

Scott Wright
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
The Senior Bowl week is going to determine whether Brennan is a first rounder, a Day One pick or a Day Two pick. He will literally have millions of dollars riding on those practices.

bored of education
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
This could make or break him. Top 10 pick to 2nd round pick. I cannot wait!

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Are you kidding me? Hard to look good on the field next to Colt. Brennan has far more question to answer than either one of those other guys. Brennan has to show he can lead and run a more traditional offense before he can worry about trying to outshine either one of those two.
Um.. yeah I am kidding... lol. macho talk. I do doubt that Woodson or Brohm will participate though.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
More people also weren't as familiar with Rusell at this point last year because he was a junior and wasn't hyped up as much as a sophmore because he was still raw. Everyone knows of Brennan because he almost came out last year and puts his gaudy stats in the Hawaii offense.
Oh please.. Nobody knows the QB of LSU who's games are on national TV every weekend???

There's still only a handful of people who have watched Colt play more than 1 game. People only know his stat sheet.

Apriori
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Mike Hart?

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Mike Hart?
Uhh...no. Some people have him ahead of McFadden in the Heisman race. America loves Mike Hart. He doesn't have many critics.

Shiver
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
This will be make or break for Colt Brennan, for two reasons:

1. He plays in a stats friendly collegiate system. Scouts look for translatable 'stick' throws in college quarterbacks. That's why Jay Cutler rose prior to the '06 draft. He made throws into tight windows, something that a QB needs to do in the NFL. In a run-n-shoot the QB only needs to hit the open receiver. At the Senior Bowl he will have to play in a (albeit dumbed down) pro-style offense and will be asked to make the throws that he will have to make as an NFL QB.

2. He's played in the easiest schedule in the nation. In the Senior Bowl he will have to face off against a litany of top flight college defenders.

I think with a good week he will go in the first round, but if he doesn't he will continue to fall.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
This will be make or break for Colt Brennan, for two reasons:

1. He plays in a stats friendly collegiate system. Scouts look for translatable 'stick' throws in college quarterbacks. That's why Jay Cutler rose prior to the '06 draft. He made throws into tight windows, something that a QB needs to do in the NFL. In a run-n-shoot the QB only needs to hit the open receiver. At the Senior Bowl he will have to play in a (albeit dumbed down) pro-style offense and will be asked to make the throws that he will have to make as an NFL QB.

2. He's played in the easiest schedule in the nation. In the Senior Bowl he will have to face off against a litany of top flight college defenders.

I think with a good week he will go in the first round, but if he doesn't he will continue to fall.
Are you saying that in the run-n-shoot, the QB doesn't need to make throws in tight windows? I'm sorry, but that is just wrong.

Shiver
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
But how often does he make those kind of throws? When you are playing in an offense that allows you to hit wide open receivers that really isn't the best barometer of how he will translate to the NFL level. I'm sorry, but history is on my side as well. Andre Ware, David Klinger, etc. I don't even have to mention other variations of the spread that have produced inefficient pro quarterbacks.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
But how often does he make those kind of throws? I could and have said the same thing about Brohm. When you are playing in an offense that allows you to hit wide open receivers that really isn't the best barometer of how he will translate to the NFL level. I'm sorry, but history is on my side as well. Look at the plethora of quarterbacks drafted in the 90s who played in the Run-N-Shoot and didn't pan out.
There isn't a pass in the NFL that Brennan hasn't been asked to make.

TimD
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Uhh...no. Some people have him ahead of McFadden in the Heisman race. America loves Mike Hart. He doesn't have many critics.

I think he was saying that he's a bigger competitor... Also Mike Hart does have a lot of critics because of some of the things he says, especially things that have to do with tOSU

Shiver
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Well we shall see how he does in the Senior Bowl, won't we? How he handles the pro-style offense versus top flight competition will make or break his draft status. I'm not saying he won't, so don't go all homer on me, I'm just saying that it is really important that he succeeds. If he does he will go in the first round.

Green Bay Scat
10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Jonathan Goff and Chris Williams better be at the senior bowl or im gonna be so pissed

Apriori
10-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Nobody works harder in college football week in and week out. And he has plenty to prove, he's clearly not an NFL-built back and he has to work hard to prove that he can play at the next level.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Nobody works harder in college football week in and week out. And he has plenty to prove, he's clearly not an NFL-built back and he has to work hard to prove that he can play at the next level.
Yeah, riiiiight. Now you're just trying to turn this into a pissing contest. You're such a homer you found a way to get how great Mike Hart is in a thread about Colt Brennan going to the Senior Bowl. Nice job homer.

At least Brennan can will his team to victory.

Sniper
10-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Well Brennan might be ahead of Dmac if he didn't turn the ball over as much as he has.

Yeah, Hart doesn't have many critics. Scouts LOVE 5'9, 200 lbs running backs who run 4.5s, I forgot about that. And he should be ahead of McFadden, seeing as how he's done better than him and had 101 yards in the first half for his worst statistical game.

Apriori
10-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, riiiiight. Now you're just trying to turn this into a pissing contest. You're such a homer you found a way to get how great Mike Hart is in a thread about Colt Brennan going to the Senior Bowl. Nice job homer.

Considering how it seems like every one of your posts is about Brennan I don't think you're in much of a position to be calling anybody a homer. But am I a homer? Sure, but I'm not as far-gone as you. I don't expect Hart to miraculously march Michigan into Champaign so he can run for 300 yards as Michigan trounces Illinois on national television because I don't think that Michigan is going to trounce Illinois. You, on the other hand...

The whole nation will watch Friday as Colt leads Hawaii in a masacre at SJ St. He'll be back in the race after that.

I recommend that you watch Michigan play Illinois Saturday night because it'll be a good game, and because you'll get to see Mike Hart for the first time.

Sniper
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Considering how it seems like every one of your posts is about Brennan I don't think you're in much of a position to be calling anybody a homer. But am I a homer? Sure, but I'm not as far-gone as you. I don't expect Hart to miraculously march Michigan into Champaign so he can run for 300 yards as Michigan trounces Illinois on national television because I don't think that Michigan is going to trounce Illinois. You, on the other hand...

I recommend that you watch Michigan play Illinois Saturday night because it'll be a good game, and because you'll get to see Mike Hart for the first time.

A hobbled Mike Hart, at that. I love how D-Unit had an excuse for every pick Brennan was throwing. Oh oh oh he got sand in his vagina, not his fault he couldn't throw properly.

Philliez01
10-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I am actually excited for this besides to see how Colt looks. This is the first real Senior Bowl news item, which means it's getting near!

Then again, I am enjoying both seasons so much that the draft can wait!

a little bit

BrownsTown
10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
If he throws 4 picks against San Jose St., how will he do against essentially college football all stars? Should be veeeeeeeeeery fun to watch ;)

ljaxson
10-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Yvenson Bernard should be on the roster 2....along with Dennis Dixon..

Apriori
10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Yvenson Bernard should be on the roster 2....along with Dennis Dixon..

Dixon would be very interesting to see in the Senior Bowl (assuming he played QB). Brohm, Woodson, Henne, and probably Ainge will get invites, so I hope there's room for him.
I should think that Bernard gets an invite, though, the senior RB class isn't too strong for NFL prospects.

P-L
10-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Pretty sure this thread is about Brennan playing in the Senior Bowl...

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Well Brennan might be ahead of Dmac if he didn't turn the ball over as much as he has.

Yeah, Hart doesn't have many critics. Scouts LOVE 5'9, 200 lbs running backs who run 4.5s, I forgot about that. And he should be ahead of McFadden, seeing as how he's done better than him and had 101 yards in the first half for his worst statistical game.
Oh goodie... more Mike Hart lovers trolling a thread about Brennan because of sheer jealousy.

I hear what you're saying.. Mike Hart has a terrible pro projection. I agree. Add the fact that he's being run into the ground at Michigan teams should be wary of drafting an overused back.

But that's not what I was talking about here. I'm saying as a college RB, Mike Hart has plenty of supporters across America. He gets WAY more exposure than Brennan. He doesn't have a lot to prove. Everyone knows what he can do. He plays for a big time program and is on TV every weekend. There's no mystery to his game. The Senior Bowl is not going to help Hart even if he does good. His stock would only fall if he did bad.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:35 PM
If he throws 4 picks against San Jose St., how will he do against essentially college football all stars? Should be veeeeeeeeeery fun to watch ;)
Yup, sure will. Brennan has more to gain than he does to lose since everyone thinks he sucks to begin with. pfff.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

You're the one talking about how big Mike Hart's balls are in Colt Brennan thread. Totally out of the blue and unrelated. That is HOMER.

You got my quote from a thread where discussion about Brennan was relevant. And there's obviously going to be times on a forum when you catch people being pumped up for a game or a performance. That's where my quote was coming from.

You're like the biggest homer on the board. Be proud of it buddy. ;)

Moses
10-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh goodie... more Mike Hart lovers trolling a thread about Brennan because of sheer jealousy.

I hear what you're saying.. Mike Hart has a terrible pro projection. I agree. Add the fact that he's being run into the ground at Michigan teams should be wary of drafting an overused back.

But that's not what I was talking about here. I'm saying as a college RB, Mike Hart has plenty of supporters across America. He gets WAY more exposure than Brennan. He doesn't have a lot to prove. Everyone knows what he can do. He plays for a big time program and is on TV every weekend. There's no mystery to his game. The Senior Bowl is not going to help Hart even if he does good. His stock would only fall if he did bad.

That is not true for any player that isn't in the top-tier of the draft.

D-Unit
10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
That is not true for any player that isn't in the top-tier of the draft.
Yeah, you're right. He does have some to gain. Not like he's Dmac or anything.

Green Bay Scat
10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I hope colt does good at the bowl, i wonder what WR will be their to help his showing? what are the teams again, east west? how do they find out who goes where?

bored of education
10-19-2007, 06:53 AM
WRs I hope play in it are:
Taj Smith from the Cuse. I think kid is nice with his.
Ernie Wheelwright from Sota
Bruce Hocker needs a chance to show if his stats arent padded. Kid has skills, runs solid routesand gets good seperation..but his competition is EHHHH

Apriori
10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
You're the one talking about how big Mike Hart's balls are in Colt Brennan thread. Totally out of the blue and unrelated. That is HOMER.

You got my quote from a thread where discussion about Brennan was relevant. And there's obviously going to be times on a forum when you catch people being pumped up for a game or a performance. That's where my quote was coming from.

You're like the biggest homer on the board. Be proud of it buddy. ;)

I'm not sure how when I talk about my man-crush on Mike Hart it makes me "the biggest homer on the board" (most ridiculous statement ever?), but when you try to hype up Colt Brennan to the pint of ridiculousness, you're "pumped up for a game or performance".

I really don't think I'm biased against Colt. If he put up good numbers, I wouldn't mind it if he were to win the Heisman over a conventional/typical guy like McFadden. But, that's not the case--outside of Hawaii remaining undefeated (barely), which shouldn't even matter in the long run, Colt has been a pretty big disappointment so far this year compared to what we expected of him.

In my opinion Colt is going out for the Senior Bowl because he saw what skipping it did to Brady Quinn's stock last year. I don't think playing in the Senior Bowl will expose him as some kind of fraud, but I think that we'll see his mortal side. In terms of production I think he'll turn out like Anthony Morelli in that he has the tools and can work an offense, but he can't always get it done.

D-Unit
10-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure how when I talk about my man-crush on Mike Hart it makes me "the biggest homer on the board" (most ridiculous statement ever?), but when you try to hype up Colt Brennan to the pint of ridiculousness, you're "pumped up for a game or performance".

I really don't think I'm biased against Colt. If he put up good numbers, I wouldn't mind it if he were to win the Heisman over a conventional/typical guy like McFadden. But, that's not the case--outside of Hawaii remaining undefeated (barely), which shouldn't even matter in the long run, Colt has been a pretty big disappointment so far this year compared to what we expected of him.

In my opinion Colt is going out for the Senior Bowl because he saw what skipping it did to Brady Quinn's stock last year. I don't think playing in the Senior Bowl will expose him as some kind of fraud, but I think that we'll see his mortal side. In terms of production I think he'll turn out like Anthony Morelli in that he has the tools and can work an offense, but he can't always get it done.
If you don't understand the context of what was said where, then I really won't go on with trying to explain it to you.

Again, you're talking as if I'm hyping up Colt to be in the Heisman race. I'm not. I haven't been for a while now.

Colt is going to the Senior Bowl because he understands that he has a lot to prove. He said it himself. He understands it. I don't get the Morelli comparison at all... Colt can't get it done? Guess you've never even seen him play if you think that. That is the exact reason why Colt is going to play in the SB. To show people what he can do.

no love
10-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I mean, it's also hard to produce against the likes of San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, and the University of Idaho.

While we're at it: WAC>SEC. :confused:

Production is important, but the senior bowl is going to show off whether he really has got "the stuff" to play in the big time. Brennan could have a Rivers like rise if one of the Sr. Bowl coaches falls in love with him.

As for the SJ State game, people are making A LOT out of the worst game in Colts entire career (we call that kind of performance an outlier). I think a lot of Colt's troubles in that game can be attribute to his injuries and HORRIBLE field conditions, I don't know how he managed to even get a grip on the ball. But what is going to really leave an impression is that it's a game he still managed to win. That is the kind of thing that coaches LOVE, to rally 21 points in the last 4 minutes, the kid looked as calm as I have ever seen a qb make a come back.

As far as the production against lesser teams. Colt Brennan has produced big numbers against EVERY SINGLE TEAM he has played, I don't see how this would be that different against a SEC team. Personally, I would looove to see big name teams from the WAC play big name teams from the SEC.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 07:14 PM

hey, thats normally my job only with Rutgers...

Back to Colt and the senior bowl, is there a list of guys who said they'll participate? I'd love to know some of the guys he'd be playing with. He'd love to have Fladell, Sosa, and Zuttah in front of him:D

i know D will pay more attention to this senior bowl than any others.

Apriori
10-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Production is important, but the senior bowl is going to show off whether he really has got "the stuff" to play in the big time. Brennan could have a Rivers like rise if one of the Sr. Bowl coaches falls in love with him.

As for the SJ State game, people are making A LOT out of the worst game in Colts entire career (we call that kind of performance an outlier). I think a lot of Colt's troubles in that game can be attribute to his injuries and HORRIBLE field conditions, I don't know how he managed to even get a grip on the ball. But what is going to really leave an impression is that it's a game he still managed to win. That is the kind of thing that coaches LOVE, to rally 21 points in the last 4 minutes, the kid looked as calm as I have ever seen a qb make a come back.

As far as the production against lesser teams. Colt Brennan has produced big numbers against EVERY SINGLE TEAM he has played, I don't see how this would be that different against a SEC team. Personally, I would looove to see big name teams from the WAC play big name teams from the SEC.

1. SEC teams have defenses a gazillion times better than the likes of Northern Colorado and Louisiana State.
2. Colt puts up big numbers because he throws a ridonkulous amount of passes per game...Even though he missed a game and rarely plays 4 quarters, he's only 65 passes (basically a game's worth of throws) behind Graham Harrell, who is leading the nation in attempts. When you throw 75 passes in a game, you're going to throw for about 400 yards even if you average a terrible 5 yards/pass. In other words, it would be really sad if you didn't put up good numbers.

Granted, Colt put up some good numbers against Arizona State last year, but otherwise he hasn't put up much against good out-of-conference teams when they play them.