PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking to play home game in Toronto

JF4
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3068853

and also a pre-season game.

I say Toronto will have an NFL team by 2020.

10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3068853

and also a pre-season game.

I say Toronto will have an NFL team by 2020.

I say the world will be engulfed by deadly storms in 2021.

Your prediction sucks.

JF4
10-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Your prediction sucks.

Wow, your cool.

10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if they got a team earlier

TimD
10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Toronto and London...

Scotty D
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Nobody is going to want to play there.

Eaglez.Fan
10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
3rd biggest city in North America.

TimD
10-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Nobody is going to want to play there.

Have you been to Toronto? Its nicer than almost any American city...

Scotty D
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Have you been to Toronto? Its nicer than almost any American city...

I don't have a problem with Toronto. I just think that there may be some problems with certain draft picks and free agents.

fenikz
10-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I would much rather live in Toronto then Buffalo, if it's going to be cold out anyways I might as well live in a city with a great culture and of some importance

Ravens1991
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I heard in Tornto chicks cant walk around topless. Maybe that is why Willis suggested the Bills move their :)

diabsoule
10-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Your prediction sucks.

I gotta stand up to my e-pal and say to you, sir:

http://blaugh.com/cartoons/070125_the_traffic_bully.gif

Geo
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
A bit strange, but then again Toronto is the greatest city in the world so I can't really blame them.

I'm also enjoying the irony of this possibly happening, after overrated turd Willis McGahee was thankfully rid of. LOL

NIN1984
10-18-2007, 04:53 PM
if true i would go to the game

Basileus777
10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Toronto and London...

The travel times might make London a problem. Can you imagine having to travel from Seattle to London and then play a game?

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm sure taxes are higher in Toronto than most American cities which could hurt them when attracting FAs.

Moses
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
The Toronto Raptors and Toronto Blue Jays don't have much of a problem attracting free agents. It's a great sports city (I don't know if there are fans alive more loyal than Leafs fans) and a great place to live. Also, as the only Canadian team they would instantly have a huge fanbase.

SuperKevin
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Billingsley stated in the Bills forum that on the radio lately in Buffalo they have been saying several Toronto based companies are looking to buy the Bills and build them a huge new stadium in the Toronto area

Moses
10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Billingsley stated in the Bills forum that on the radio lately in Buffalo they have been saying several Toronto based companies are looking to buy the Bills and build them a huge new stadium in the Toronto area

How much are season tickets? :D

Unfortunately the Bills are one of the most boring teams in the league but perhaps that could change under new ownership.

SuperKevin
10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
As A Bills fan, I'd be sad to see them move to Tornto because of all the history in Buffalo. I'd still continue to be a fan though.

neko4
10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I hope this isnt the first step in a plan to move Buffalo to Toronto, i dont think they could do it since Ralph Wilson stadium is still pretty young
EDIT-nevermind, i thought it was still less than 20 years old

Geo
10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Agreed. It will be a sad sad day if the Bills leave Buffalo.

SuperKevin
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Agreed. It will be a sad sad day if the Bills leave Buffalo.

Yes but moving less than 100 miles is better than if someone were to relocate the team to say San Antonio or Los Angeles

The Dynasty
10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I know not even as a bills fan, id be sad because it be my only way of seeing football live. I really wouldnt want to cross the peace bridge just to go see NFL games because soon you'll need a passport and all that. On the other hand it be cool to see the bills have a good chance in toronto with good ownership. I just know they wouldnt be called Toronto Bills lol.

I know my dad(bills fan) told me he wouldnt be a bills fan if they moved. He said he would root for the lions just to spite me lol. But that could change.

Chucky
10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
The biggest problem would be getting a stadium, I dont see the goverment wanting to fund much for a stadium, considering it would effectively kill the CFL(and yes it is important in Canada, so no CFL jokes), THe people who would buy it would probably consist of Larry Tanenbaum(owner of the raps) and Ted Rogers(owner of the Jays), they would probably have to put the team in a suburb of toronto up north, which would mean they would have to extend the subway. so pretty much it would take a whole lot of money, and a whole lot of time. But you know with the Canadian dollar at the level that it is more, it is much more realistic

Billingsley26
10-18-2007, 10:46 PM

The biggest problem would be getting a stadium, I dont see the goverment wanting to fund much for a stadium, considering it would effectively kill the CFL(and yes it is important in Canada, so no CFL jokes), THe people who would buy it would probably consist of Larry Tanenbaum(owner of the raps) and Ted Rogers(owner of the Jays), they would probably have to put the team in a suburb of toronto up north, which would mean they would have to extend the subway. so pretty much it would take a whole lot of money, and a whole lot of time. But you know with the Canadian dollar at the level that it is more, it is much more realistic

If you check out the Bills forum, I have posted the articles that stated about the move. It wouldnt be government funded. They have several owners in mind and in a group to purchase everything and get the ball rolling. They didnt mention anything about the subway or where they build a stadium, but they DID say they would build a new one. They said apparenlty they have a plot of land somehere in the GTA and they would build it there.

The group would consist of Larry Tannenbaum, Ted Rogers, Paul Godfrey, The two Argos Owners Cynamon and Sokolowski, as well as the other 7 CFL owners Big group with a lot of coin in there. Check out the Bills forum or the "Globe and Mail" newspaper website.

Smokey Joe
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I'd rather see Toronto then Mexico City....

Chucky
10-18-2007, 10:52 PM
If you check out the Bills forum, I have posted the articles that stated about the move. It wouldnt be government funded. They have several owners in mind and in a group to purchase everything and get the ball rolling. They didnt mention anything about the subway or where they build a stadium, but they DID say they would build a new one. They said apparenlty they have a plot of land somehere in the GTA and they would build it there.

The group would consist of Larry Tannenbaum, Ted Rogers, Paul Godfrey, The two Argos Owners Cynamon and Sokolowski, as well as the other 7 CFL owners Big group with a lot of coin in there. Check out the Bills forum or the "Globe and Mail" newspaper website.

THe CFl owners dont have a significant amount of money at all, they would only be apart, so they dont complain to the govenrment to disallow it, becuase it would ruin the CFL

Billingsley26
10-18-2007, 11:00 PM
THe CFl owners dont have a significant amount of money at all, they would only be apart, so they dont complain to the govenrment to disallow it, becuase it would ruin the CFL

Yes they do. Toronto's owners have alot, Hamiltons Bob Young does too. Im not sure of the others out west, but the do. Just because it is a small market doesnt mean anything. They still have money. Overall, I think the most of the money out of the CFL owners would be picked up by the Argos owners.

Chucky
10-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes they do. Toronto's owners have alot, Hamiltons Bob Young does too. Im not sure of the others out west, but the do. Just because it is a small market doesnt mean anything. They still have money. Overall, I think the most of the money out of the CFL owners would be picked up by the Argos owners.

Interestingly enough, my father actually knows sokoloski very well, and my cousin is good friends with one of their sons, and while they are very very rich, by an average persons standard, by the standard of other NFL owners, they seem poor. The real dough will have to come from Rogers and Tanenbaum. I think the earliest we can get a team is 2013, and i dont even see that happening, because a stadium will cost so much money, plus getting the zoning and permits and such, which will be very hard to get , considering the government does not want an NFL team in Toronto

Billingsley26
10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Interestingly enough, my father actually knows sokoloski very well, and my cousin is good friends with one of their sons, and while they are very very rich, by an average persons standard, by the standard of other NFL owners, they seem poor. The real dough will have to come from Rogers and Tanenbaum. I think the earliest we can get a team is 2013, and i dont even see that happening, because a stadium will cost so much money, plus getting the zoning and permits and such, which will be very hard to get , considering the government does not want an NFL team in Toronto

Ya I agree with that. That is why they are all getting together. And make it one big partnership. I would imagine as well that it would be Tannenbaum and Rogers who carry the load. None of this would happen unless either Ralph Wilson passes away or unless he agrees to sell the team to these guys.

Moses
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM

How do you know the government doesn't want an NFL franchise in Toronto? Also, what level of government?

HoopsDemon12
10-19-2007, 11:13 AM
I really hope that is true because i have a lot of relatives that live in and around toronto... so i would make the trip no questions asked.. im actualyl kinda excited just thinking about it!

HoopsDemon12
10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Also i doubt there will be a NFL team in toronto because that would take away from our CFL fans and income.. and up here we seem to be willing to fight to keep that alive.

Moses
10-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Also i doubt there will be a NFL team in toronto because that would take away from our CFL fans and income.. and up here we seem to be willing to fight to keep that alive.

Really? I guess that explains why franchises are constantly in financial distress. ;)

HoopsDemon12
10-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Really? I guess that explains why franchises are constantly in financial distress. ;)

thats just because we dont have the population up here to run a whole lot of teams.. thus having an NFL team would take even more away from that.. for sure ending hte CFL.. which a lot of people dont want to see happen

Moses
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
thats just because we dont have the population up here to run a whole lot of teams.. thus having an NFL team would take even more away from that.. for sure ending hte CFL.. which a lot of people dont want to see happen

I don't think it has to do with population. Ottawa does fine with the Senators but has folded their CFL franchise multiple times. There just isn't the interest here.

Billingsley26
10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think it has to do with population. Ottawa does fine with the Senators but has folded their CFL franchise multiple times. There just isn't the interest here.

I agree. Especially coming to Toronto. I can tell there is not enough interest in the city or the surrounding areas to fill 80,000 seats. They could put 3 more pro hockey teams in Toronto and sell them out, but not NFL. I just dont think it would be successful in the long run. I also have to take into account ticket prices. If we all think that Leafs tickets are high..HA....you got another thing coming. These tickets would be outrageously high. Take the Skydome(screw the Rogers Centre) for example. If you were to have tickets in the 500 level, i would say they go for no less than 100-150 dollars each. Now you may think that, O well people pay that for hockey. Yes they do BUT!!!

1. The ACC holds about 18,000 people, heck of a lot smaller. Hockey owns this area, football does not. NFL or not, the Arogs struggle year in and year out with attendances.
2. The so called "suits" fans would not pay that much for the nose bleeds. No way. They aren't called the suits for nothing.

Moses
10-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree. Especially coming to Toronto. I can tell there is not enough interest in the city or the surrounding areas to fill 80,000 seats. They could put 3 more pro hockey teams in Toronto and sell them out, but not NFL. I just dont think it would be successful in the long run. I also have to take into account ticket prices. If we all think that Leafs tickets are high..HA....you got another thing coming. These tickets would be outrageously high. Take the Skydome(screw the Rogers Centre) for example. If you were to have tickets in the 500 level, i would say they go for no less than 100-150 dollars each. Now you may think that, O well people pay that for hockey. Yes they do BUT!!!

1. The ACC holds about 18,000 people, heck of a lot smaller. Hockey owns this area, football does not. NFL or not, the Arogs struggle year in and year out with attendances.
2. The so called "suits" fans would not pay that much for the nose bleeds. No way. They aren't called the suits for nothing.

I was talking specifically about the CFL. I think the NFL would be a huge success in Toronto. Corporate would buy up premium seating like candy and the remaining tickets would sell out extremely up, likely mostly in the form of season's tickets.

Billingsley26
10-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I was talking specifically about the CFL. I think the NFL would be a huge success in Toronto. Corporate would buy up premium seating like candy and the remaining tickets would sell out extremely up, likely mostly in the form of season's tickets.

I dont know about that. Im thinking that right off the bat it will be a success, but we all know that you need more than a couple years of suport to be successful. We have seen it for baseball and for the Raptors (allthough th Raps support is growing). We have also seen it with the Argos. Once this city gets a taste of something, it loses it rel fast.

I would be opposed to the Bills moving. I am living in WNY now, and I can say that this team represents the city. It really does. Its blue collar town and clue collared team. The fans begin tailgating on fridays and go right through to Sunday night early monday morning. I dont think there is an area near the GTA that is remotley close to the surroundings of the Ralph. There is no way they could match that. Hell, there are only 2 other teams that come close to the Bills and the Ralph. I can see that if this team were to leave Buffalo the city would depress even more.

I think to myself. There are already s very good number of Canadian who come down on sundays. I can bet you of the ones who come down 98% would say it was one of the best times of their life. From the GTA your looking at most a 2-2 1/2 hour drive. In some places, it takes that long to get downtown to see a Leafs game, and imagine that traffic plus another 60,000 fans. Is the drive to Buffalo that bad? I dont think so. I tink it adds to the experience. The setting in Buffalo is GREAT. One of the best in the league. I would hate to see it leave. The team is rallying on behalf of the city, and the city is rallying on behlf of the team. I dont think a team in Toronto comes anywhere near what the Bills and WNY have right now!

Moses
10-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I dont know about that. Im thinking that right off the bat it will be a success, but we all know that you need more than a couple years of suport to be successful. We have seen it for baseball and for the Raptors (allthough th Raps support is growing). We have also seen it with the Argos. Once this city gets a taste of something, it loses it rel fast.

I would be opposed to the Bills moving. I am living in WNY now, and I can say that this team represents the city. It really does. Its blue collar town and clue collared team. The fans begin tailgating on fridays and go right through to Sunday night early monday morning. I dont think there is an area near the GTA that is remotley close to the surroundings of the Ralph. There is no way they could match that. Hell, there are only 2 other teams that come close to the Bills and the Ralph. I can see that if this team were to leave Buffalo the city would depress even more.

I think to myself. There are already s very good number of Canadian who come down on sundays. I can bet you of the ones who come down 98% would say it was one of the best times of their life. From the GTA your looking at most a 2-2 1/2 hour drive. In some places, it takes that long to get downtown to see a Leafs game, and imagine that traffic plus another 60,000 fans. Is the drive to Buffalo that bad? I dont think so. I tink it adds to the experience. The setting in Buffalo is GREAT. One of the best in the league. I would hate to see it leave. The team is rallying on behalf of the city, and the city is rallying on behlf of the team. I dont think a team in Toronto comes anywhere near what the Bills and WNY have right now!

Obviously it would suck for Buffalo to lose their team. However, Toronto is a great place to have a team and I would imagine they will eventually get one. It's just simply too big of a market to leave untouched.

Also, it doesn't take close to 2 1/2 hours to get to a Leafs game. If traffic is that bad, people will just hop onto the subway. Toronto has great infrastructure.

art vandelay
10-19-2007, 03:54 PM
How much are season tickets? :D

Unfortunately the Bills are one of the most boring teams in the league but perhaps that could change under new ownership.

Did you watch Week 1 against the Broncos or the MNF game against the Cowboys?

Shiver
10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
They need to move the Bills to Toronto and the Jaguars to Los Angeles.

Moses
10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Did you watch Week 1 against the Broncos or the MNF game against the Cowboys?

I'm in an area that gets Buffalo games. I cannot stand watching them. All the games just seem meaningless because they're not a contender and don't really have any superstar players I like watching.

Billingsley26
10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Obviously it would suck for Buffalo to lose their team. However, Toronto is a great place to have a team and I would imagine they will eventually get one. It's just simply too big of a market to leave untouched.

Also, it doesn't take close to 2 1/2 hours to get to a Leafs game. If traffic is that bad, people will just hop onto the subway. Toronto has great infrastructure.

If your coming from Oakville, Burlington, Oshawa, Ajax, Barrie, Brampton, taking the QEW or the 401 around the times of 4:30-6:30 than yes it does take that long.It has taken over an hour to get to the ACC and I live in Mississauga!

Toronto is a big market, but the thing your not understanding is that it is not a football market. Not yet anyways! Until they can prove that the city is very serious about a team, and can show the support they get in WNY (Which I dont think Toronto can ever come close to) than they may go farther. The newest developments are that they are now looking to play a game in Toronto next game, and trying to play at least one game every year beginning next year.

I think the executives of the league will understand that Toronto is not a football town. They can use examples stemming from the CFL to prove it. How about the Internation Bowl? Only had about 30,000 people in the Skydome. That was D1 football, and people want to say they can support it.

I was listening to the FAN 590 yesterday, and Chuck Swirsky kept asking people where the NFL lies on your pecking order. Everyone kept calling in saying how they would love the NFL to come to Toronto, yet out of about 15 callers/email, not one had the NFL above 3 on their pecking order!!!!

And your telling me you want them to take the pride and gory of WNY and move it to a place where it will be #3 at best behind hockey and basketball?

Moses
10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
If your coming from Oakville, Burlington, Oshawa, Ajax, Barrie, Brampton, taking the QEW or the 401 around the times of 4:30-6:30 than yes it does take that long.It has taken over an hour to get to the ACC and I live in Mississauga!

Toronto is a big market, but the thing your not understanding is that it is not a football market. Not yet anyways! Until they can prove that the city is very serious about a team, and can show the support they get in WNY (Which I dont think Toronto can ever come close to) than they may go farther. The newest developments are that they are now looking to play a game in Toronto next game, and trying to play at least one game every year beginning next year.

I think the executives of the league will understand that Toronto is not a football town. They can use examples stemming from the CFL to prove it. How about the Internation Bowl? Only had about 30,000 people in the Skydome. That was D1 football, and people want to say they can support it.

I was listening to the FAN 590 yesterday, and Chuck Swirsky kept asking people where the NFL lies on your pecking order. Everyone kept calling in saying how they would love the NFL to come to Toronto, yet out of about 15 callers/email, not one had the NFL above 3 on their pecking order!!!!

And your telling me you want them to take the pride and gory of WNY and move it to a place where it will be #3 at best behind hockey and basketball?

How do you know Toronto isn't a football market? The CFL is drastically different than the NFL in terms of fanbase. Also, an NFL franchise would get a ridiculous amount of support from businesses which is what matters most.

How many football games are played during rush hour? Are you kidding me? I just drove from Oakville to downtown Toronto and it took less than an hour.

Toronto is a huge market that the NFL will eventually infiltrate. If you somehow think a sinkhole like Buffalo can outclass them, I think you're mistaken. Why would they want to move the team if Buffalo was meeting their financial expectations?

Billingsley26
10-19-2007, 05:23 PM
How do you know Toronto isn't a football market? The CFL is drastically different than the NFL in terms of fanbase. Also, an NFL franchise would get a ridiculous amount of support from businesses which is what matters most.

How many football games are played during rush hour? Are you kidding me? I just drove from Oakville to downtown Toronto and it took less than an hour.

Toronto is a huge market that the NFL will eventually infiltrate. If you somehow think a sinkhole like Buffalo can outclass them, I think you're mistaken. Why would they want to move the team if Buffalo was meeting their financial expectations?

You calling Buffalo a sinkhole, and saying they couldn't outclass Toronto is a joke. Buffalo is a top 3 place to see a game, atmosphere, fans, stadium the list goes on. Toronto could never come close to what Buffalo has right now. Unless you have been to a Bills game you have no idea what Im talking about. Its funny to, cuz Im not the only one to think this. ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports all rank the Bills in the top 3. So..yea...nice try on that one.

Buffalo is meeting the financial expectations. This year they have sold out every game except one I believe, and that last one is pretty close to selling out. That would put Buffalo at or near the top of toatl attendances in the league, because of the large stadium. This isnt a matter of not having money right now, its a matter of when Ralph Wilson passes on, his kids have already said they wont pay those taxes to keep the team in Buffalo. This is when it now becomes a bidding war, and right now, there is only talk about Toronto. When this gets closer to happening, we'll see if the likes of Tom Galisano steps up or Jim Kelly. Buffalo is not in financial trouble by any means. Yes, they are a small market team, but because of the CBA they are guaranteed their cut of the money to keep them going. I think if they were in trouble, you would see a situation develop like what happened with the Minnesota Twins a few years ago, or the Montreal Expos. The Bills are OK financially. Obviously they have the 2nd cheapest tickets in the league, but they still sell out, and Ralph isnt complaining.

This isnt going to be easy by no means, I dont think Toronto is gauranteed anything other than a pre-season game right now. Everyone is getting hyped over this talk that has been going on for 2 days now. The Bills have a lease with Erie Count right now through 2012. So, were talking that if those names from Toronto want to buy the Bills, they need to pay off Erie County, they need to deal with the Wilson family, and then they need to build a brand new stadium somewhere in the GTA.

Eaglez.Fan
10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
IMO the Canadian Government would want an NFL team in Toronto.

And the fan-base would be crazy, if they move to Toronto they'd be my second favorite team in a heartbeat.

Chucky
10-19-2007, 08:10 PM
The Canadian Government would not want an NFL team, because Canadians as a whole would not want an NFL team, and the Canadian Government cares about what canada as a whole thinks, and not just toronto, no matter what we think(and that is why everyone hates toronto). The NFL would kill the CFL, and canada(western Canada) absolutely love the CFL. ALso im pretty sure they attempted to bring another pro football team to TOronto before(not NFL but a competing league) and the government had a bill set up to ban it, but the idea of the team coming was stopped before the bill came into play

Moses
10-20-2007, 01:15 AM
The Canadian Government would not want an NFL team, because Canadians as a whole would not want an NFL team, and the Canadian Government cares about what canada as a whole thinks, and not just toronto, no matter what we think(and that is why everyone hates toronto). The NFL would kill the CFL, and canada(western Canada) absolutely love the CFL. ALso im pretty sure they attempted to bring another pro football team to TOronto before(not NFL but a competing league) and the government had a bill set up to ban it, but the idea of the team coming was stopped before the bill came into play

hahahahaaha

sorry. :D

Iamcanadian
10-21-2007, 07:23 AM
It would be a solid financial move by the Bills. Toronto and its surrounding area encompass 16 million people. If the Bills can convince Toronto football fans that Buffalo is their team then the Bill's revenue would take a huge jump and Buffalo would move from one of the poorest franchises to one of the richest and they could then actually afford to keep all their FA's instead of losing a steady stream to other teams year after year.
However, it would take awhile to convince Torontonians that Buffalo is their team, it won't happen overnight. Bills fans will have to decide if they want their team to be competitive or remain one of the worst franchises in the NFL. It would be a very similar situation to Green Bay and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

art vandelay
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm in an area that gets Buffalo games. I cannot stand watching them. All the games just seem meaningless because they're not a contender and don't really have any superstar players I like watching.

OK, you don't like watching them because they are not a contender this year and they don't have any superstar players that you like watching. You cannot say that they are a "boring" team. Most Bills games are very close and exciting.