PDA

View Full Version : Is there a new #1 Safety in the NFL this year?

jsagan77
10-19-2007, 09:29 AM
We always have the debate of who is the #1 Safety in the NFL. This year a lot has changed and I was wondering everyone's opinions.

I think that Sean Taylor has begun to separate himself from the pack this year. He has been playing lights out and has 4 ints (should be 7) playing all over the field and showing his true range with a suitable safety on the other side.

Ed Reed is great and one of my favorite players but I like Taylor this year...

skinzzfan25
10-19-2007, 09:36 AM
I'll say Taylor because I'm a homer, but I truly believe that he's elevated his game from past years.

He lost a lot of weight in the offseason and it shows because he's flying all over the field. Plus he still lays the wood.

keylime_5
10-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Probably Ed Reed and Bob Sanders. Those 2 have definitely been the biggest impact players at the safety position the past few years followed by Polamalu. But Taylor is definitely creeping up on them.

remix 6
10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
With Taylor put in a spot where he can make plays and with some help on defense as well as being more diciplined..hes the man right now.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
LOL, why is Roy Williams on this list? He's no better than gibril wilson who I don't consider a good safety.

jsagan77
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
LOL, why is Roy Williams on this list? He's no better than gibril wilson who I don't consider a good safety.

I'm a Skins fan and I like to see him beat out better talent... It proves the Cowboy homerism is alive and kicking... =0)

Turtlepower
10-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Just because Roy Williams is lacking in coverage, people tend to get on his case. He is still a not-so-bad safety who I would be more than willing to have on the Giants.

jsagan77
10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Probably Ed Reed and Bob Sanders. Those 2 have definitely been the biggest impact players at the safety position the past few years followed by Polamalu. But Taylor is definitely creeping up on them.

Bob Sanders is so hyped up that I can't stand it.. I've never been a big fan and don't think he is as good as the media gives him credit for. I've watched him play on numerous occasions and he shouldn't be on this list but I put him on there because I know I'd hear the "Where is Sanders" comments..

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Just because Roy Williams is lacking in coverage, people tend to get on his case. He is still a not-so-bad safety who I would be more than willing to have on the Giants.

If Roy Williams is just lacking in coverage than I'm a future first round pick. Outside of trying to end carrers Roy doesn't do much on the field.

Moses
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Sean Taylor. I've said it since his rookie season. This guy is a playmaker and everything you look for from the safety position. I think he's clearly shown so far this year that he is the best safety in the NFL. Also, he's been the catalyst to one of the NFL's top defences.

Geo
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Bob Sanders is so hyped up that I can't stand it.. I've never been a big fan and don't think he is as good as the media gives him credit for. I've watched him play on numerous occasions and he shouldn't be on this list but I put him on there because I know I'd hear the "Where is Sanders" comments..
Bob Sanders makes Chuck Norris weep with fear.

Jughead10
10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Kerry Rhodes is so good but the general crappiness of his team overshadows how great of a player he could be shining somewhere else.

Number 10
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Ed Reed still sets the bar

Jughead10
10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Sean Taylor has improved a ton but he is still hit or miss for me. Mental lapses at safety can kill you. The name of the position itselfs infers that its you last line of defense. A mix up can often result in 6. I also can't get the picture of a not exactly shifty Plax on a bum ankle juking the crap out of Taylor

Turtlepower
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
If Roy Williams is just lacking in coverage than I'm a future first round pick. Outside of trying to end carrers Roy doesn't do much on the field.

He gets so many knocks on him because he has been hyped up so much, but I would still be happy to have him on the Giants. I would take him any day of the week over Wilson and Butler.

CannedToast
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it's definitely still Ed Reed, no doubt.

After that comes a mix of Taylor, Wilson, Polamalu, Rhodes, Sanders.

HoopsDemon12
10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
This season i think Sean Taylor is clearly playing head and shoulders above the rest.. .but troy, adrian and Ed arent that far behind either.. i think bob sanders is in that next tier behind them

TACKLE
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Ed Reed

Although I agree that Sean Taylor is stud and has improved his coverage skills, but nobody has range like Ed Reed. His instincts, speed, and play making ability is what sets him apart from everyone else.

Auron
10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
This season Taylor has taken his game to a higher level. He has great range, and instincts. Would like to see a little more consistency holding on to a few Interceptions, he let some in Green Bay get away from him..

Ed Reed will still make you pay for poor throws, and going over the middle.

One guy who is really rising up to the upper echelon of my Safety rankings is Adrian Wilson. I knew this guy was good beforehand, but I never truly got to sit down and watch him much until this season, and this guy impacts games. Saw him display great reaction on a quick pass in which he picked off Roethlisberger in the Endzone to preserve a lead for his team, vs. the Rams he had a great Interception where he knocked a pass away up into the air and managed to come down with the pick. He's also so disruptive down in the box, can rush the passer, and also tackles like a Linebacker.

Sanders, Eh he has his own unique style.. Either you love it, or you don't. He's aggressive, and I like the way he attacks ball carriers at the line of scrimmage. Great closing speed, and reaction to the play.. he can be lined up 20 yards back at the snap, and find a way to make the tackle for a minimal or no gain on running plays.

ks_perfection
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM

He's on the list cause he went to the Pro Bowl last year. Alot of people voted for him so some might think he's the top safety, whereas no one thinks wilson is.

Jughead10
10-19-2007, 12:36 PM
He's on the list cause he went to the Pro Bowl last year. Alot of idiots voted for him so some might think he's the top safety, whereas no one thinks wilson is.

Fixed that for you.

HoopsDemon12
10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
He's on the list cause he went to the Pro Bowl last year. Alot of people voted for him so some might think he's the top safety, whereas no one thinks wilson is.

well people know roy williams... not many average fans know of adrian wilson

jsagan77
10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Ed Reed

Although I agree that Sean Taylor is stud and has improved his coverage skills, but nobody has range like Ed Reed. His instincts, speed, and play making ability is what sets him apart from everyone else.

Obviously you didn't watch the Packer game. Taylor has Reed's range and then some.. Simply amazed me....

fenikz
10-19-2007, 01:19 PM
for this season Taylor is being a beast but as an overall safety i think it still goes like this

Reed
Wilson
Polamalu
Sanders
Taylor

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Taylor should have more than just 7 INT's, he dropped 2 the game before that, and 1 against the Giants. He needs effin Gloves!!! He is like the only safety who doesn't wear gloves and I don't understand it. NFL gloves are like velcro the ball sticks, plus it minimizes cuts on the hands, why he doesn't wear gloves I can't understand especially in a rain game like last week.

703SKINS202
10-19-2007, 01:34 PM
obviously im a skins fan but u can honestly say taylor is playing better than he ever has after losing weight and this season is the best safety in the nfl.... a lot of it comes from the d getting better as a whole with the addition of landry and fletcher.... he flies to the ball now and hasnt been beat deep once yet...... HOWEVER, utnil he can wrap the whole season underneath his belt im gonna say hes #2 still behind Ed Reed, living where I do I get to see both play and Reed still has the best playmaking talent but I think with Taylors new weight and his ability to lay anyone out for weeks that he will surpass him at the end of the season and become the #1 safety in the NFL

cowboysforever
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Taylor. Reed 1B. Wilson, Polamamlu then Huff, Rhodes, Sanders, WHITNER next level.

Roy Williams is not even in this discussion. His coverage skills are so bad that to call him a safety is misnomer.

Borat
10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I voted for Adrian Wilson. I absolutely love this guy. He's a true playmaker from the safety position. After seeing him live, I have such a better grasp on all the different facets he brings to the Cards D.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-19-2007, 01:54 PM
He gets so many knocks on him because he has been hyped up so much, but I would still be happy to have him on the Giants. I would take him any day of the week over Wilson and Butler.

I would take a paraplegic squirel over butler. Giril and Roy are a wash for me.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I voted for Adrian Wilson. I absolutely love this guy. He's a true playmaker from the safety position. After seeing him live, I have such a better grasp on all the different facets he brings to the Cards D.

Though his bonehead play for a vet cost them the game vs the Ravens.

Shiver
10-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Sean Taylor has improved a ton but he is still hit or miss for me. Mental lapses at safety can kill you. The name of the position itselfs infers that its you last line of defense. A mix up can often result in 6.

Which is why Ed Reed is overrated as a cover safety. He gets interceptions, but what you don't see on the highlights is a WR beating him deep. Last year it happened on numerous occasions that I saw. Two in particular: TJ Houshmandzadeh and Steve Smith got long touchdowns because Ed Reed tried to pull off one of his 'ball-hawk' plays and the offense tricked him.

Just to make things clear... I think Ed Reed is a great player and would jump at the chance to get him on the Falcons. That said a lot of people ignore that his risky play leads to big plays for the offense. It's a calculated risk and sometimes he gets burned.

Ewing
10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Taylor should have more than just 7 INT's, he dropped 2 the game before that, and 1 against the Giants. He needs effin Gloves!!! He is like the only safety who doesn't wear gloves and I don't understand it. NFL gloves are like velcro the ball sticks, plus it minimizes cuts on the hands, why he doesn't wear gloves I can't understand especially in a rain game like last week.

I'm looking at your avatar. Correct me if I'm wrong but that appears to be Sean Taylor wearing gloves.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm looking at your avatar. Correct me if I'm wrong but that appears to be Sean Taylor wearing gloves.

He hasn't worn them the past 2 years.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Sean Taylor has improved a ton but he is still hit or miss for me. Mental lapses at safety can kill you. The name of the position itselfs infers that its you last line of defense. A mix up can often result in 6. I also can't get the picture of a not exactly shifty Plax on a bum ankle juking the crap out of Taylor

Though you are speaking that having only watched one redskins game this year because he hasn't given up a pass the entire year ask anyone who has watched him, as I said the only bad play he has had all season was when Plaxico juked him in the open field for a TD, not a great attempt at a tackle but not his fault he was not the guy in coverage, but this season he has been money all year so you are obviously speaking on the past when you say that. I'm in no way saying he is perfect or even the best safety as I still have Reed and maybe Wilson above him, but he hasn't had a single mental lapse all season and I can attest to that having watching every second of every game this year.

Borat
10-19-2007, 02:07 PM

He should go back to wearing them. Taylor hands are embarrassingly bad.

remix 6
obviously im a skins fan but u can honestly say taylor is playing better than he ever has after losing weight and this season is the best safety in the nfl.... a lot of it comes from the d getting better as a whole with the addition of landry and fletcher.... he flies to the ball now and hasnt been beat deep once yet...... HOWEVER, utnil he can wrap the whole season underneath his belt im gonna say hes #2 still behind Ed Reed, living where I do I get to see both play and Reed still has the best playmaking talent but I think with Taylors new weight and his ability to lay anyone out for weeks that he will surpass him at the end of the season and become the #1 safety in the NFL

i wouldnt credit it to losing weight. hes always had speed/quickness. i would say its just being more diciplined and putting him where he belongs. hes being put in position to make plays like he was in college and hes not the only player that has to make plays now..they've got a much better D than they had last year and hes just playing smart.

Jughead10
Which is why Ed Reed is overrated as a cover safety. He gets interceptions, but what you don't see on the highlights is a WR beating him deep. Last year it happened on numerous occasions that I saw. Two in particular: TJ Houshmandzadeh and Steve Smith got long touchdowns because Ed Reed tried to pull off one of his 'ball-hawk' plays and the offense tricked him.

Just to make things clear... I think Ed Reed is a great player and would jump at the chance to get him on the Falcons. That said a lot of people ignore that his risky play leads to big plays for the offense. It's a calculated risk and sometimes he gets burned.

Agreed. Billick actually threatened to bench him if he didn't start playing within the scheme more. Although I think that was an empty threat and he had no intention of doing it.

Geo
10-19-2007, 02:09 PM
There was no credible source to back-up the bench threat story.

remix 6
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
There was no credible source to back-up the bench threat story.

yes there was. Baltimore Sun is credible isnt it? and Reed responded saying "Thats how i play and i've always been doing that. Im not going to change my style of play" or something like that.

10-19-2007, 02:21 PM
sean taylor is the best safety in the league but troy polamalu is a very close second

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
yes there was. Baltimore Sun is credible isnt it? and Reed responded saying "Thats how i play and i've always been doing that. Im not going to change my style of play" or something like that.

Yeah they really were gonna bench Ed Reed for Gerome Sapp. Ed Reed making mistakes and playing bad is still 2x better than Gerome Sapp at his best.

10-19-2007, 02:42 PM

no way u ever put a perenial pro bowler on the bench

Ewing
10-19-2007, 02:51 PM

I really had never noticed. I just google image searched his name and came across him wearing the number 36. I thought he had 21 his entire career as a 'Skin.

remix 6
10-19-2007, 02:52 PM
no way u ever put a perenial pro bowler on the bench

i never said they would

he said there was no credible source to backup the "threat"..i simply said there was.

i dont believe the threat either but it was there..simply put

Shiver
10-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Kerry Rhodes and Bob Sanders should not be ahead of Troy Polamalu.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM

the fact you dont consider Gibril Wilson a good safety makes me question your knowledge of Giants football.

and i feel Bob Sanders is the best. Guys a freaking animal

d34ng3l021
10-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I really had never noticed. I just google image searched his name and came across him wearing the number 36. I thought he had 21 his entire career as a 'Skin.

36 = rookie year.

Billingsley26
10-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I dont understand how Micheal Huff gets all this attention about being a top safety. I dont think he does what Donte Witner does in Buffalo. Witner showed more last year and shows more this year. Witner is a better safety than Huff.

Go_Eagles77
10-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think Dawkins played in more than 1 game this year so I can't vote for him, I'd say Sean Taylor.

fenikz
10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Though his bonehead play for a vet cost them the game vs the Ravens.

That hit was as clean as can be it may of been a little too hard but this is football let the boys play

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
That hit was as clean as can be it may of been a little too hard but this is football let the boys play

Since when is a forearm to the head legal??? It was clearly seen, you can never forearm anyone in the head especially a receiver going down the middle. It was a bonehead play with a game on the line, he knows the rules he just wanted to knock out the receiver, but trust me forearm to the head is not a legal hit which is why it was a flag, you may not agree with the rule, but it's a clearly written and understood rule, he just got carried away with going for a kill shot rather than making a hit, and sucks for Cardinals it had to happen on the most important play of the game.

TimD
10-19-2007, 06:29 PM
for this season Taylor is being a beast but as an overall safety i think it still goes like this

RHODES
Reed
Wilson
Polamalu
Sanders
Taylor

fixed it for you

... jk

no love
10-19-2007, 06:33 PM

As a playmaker, you have to guess and there are times that everyone guesses wrong. All good safetys take calculated risks, but his range is what sets him apart. He can make the plays that no one else in the league can make.

Said Trent Dilfer about the interception that Ed Reed made, "The interception was a '6' route. It was an underneath route where (Reed) is playing the middle of the field. I have to look at the '6' because it is a 'press, bump and run.' I think it's (pass interference) and then he intercepts the '6' route coming from the middle of the field. I've never seen that happen in 14 years."

I voted Reed, but it's so close its like splitting hairs.

eaglesfan_45
10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Sean Taylor is really coming in to his own this year and is finally living up to the expectations set for him. Over the next few years can you imagine what a challlenge playing against Laron Landry and Sean Taylor is going to be. In about 3 seasons when Landry starts to come into his own and Sean playing in his prime recievers are going to take beatings.

Mr. Stiller
10-19-2007, 06:53 PM
It's near impossible to compare SS and FS in this league.

Seriously. Polamalu and Wilson are amazing SS, while Reed and Taylor are probably the league best FS.

The responsibilities vary in schemes. I personally think Polamalu is the best SS and Sean Taylor is finally living up to the hype.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2007, 07:56 PM

There is no way in blue hell I would want Roy Williams on the Giants. Never. Especially with our scheme in place, we might as well put a cement block out there.

Hell, sometimes I look at him play and I think Gibril Wilson is better. And Im not even a Gibril Wilson fan. That just tells you what I think of Roy Williams, but he's a subject thats been beaten to death.

As for the topic on hand, you gotta say that Reed is the best based on tenior, but this year Sean Taylor has been outperforming everybody.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Kerry Rhodes is so good but the general crappiness of his team overshadows how great of a player he could be shining somewhere else.

Rhodes is one of my favorite SS in the league.

Shiver
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Rhodes is very good, but I wouldn't put him in the same league as Adrian Wilson and Troy Polamalu.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Rhodes is very good, but I wouldn't put him in the same league as Adrian Wilson and Troy Polamalu.

I don't know, id think that in a similar role, he can do a standup job comparable to those 2. He's really been held back this year because of the issues on defense for the Jets.

But I do love Wilson and Polumalu. Polumalu is perfect for his Xbacker role in LeBeau's scheme.

Basileus777
10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Much is made of Roy Williams' coverage problems (and rightly so), but what I've noticed is that he isn't even the force against the run that he used to be.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Ed Reed is still the best safety in the game! 4 INTS to match Taylor's

remix 6
10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Much is made of Roy Williams' coverage problems (and rightly so), but what I've noticed is that he isn't even the force against the run that he used to be.

hes an overrated hitter too. a lot of his tackles are crappy/cheap.

as a big hitter against Patriots..i expected some knockouts but he pulled Watson down from side/behind and landed on his ankle while going down with him. he was very low on Brady's knees as a blitzer. him and Ken Hamlin were terrible in coverage

that adds to him getting fined again for a horse collar which put a few players out few seasons ago.

i dont recall seeing too many BIG hits by Roy Williams.

Shiver
10-19-2007, 10:43 PM
remix, just look at my sig quote...

Average OT LB
10-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Ed Reed is still the best safety in the game! 4 INTS to match Taylor's

So how would you answer those whipsers about him being one of the most overrated players in football..

Average OT LB
10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't know, id think that in a similar role, he can do a standup job comparable to those 2. He's really been held back this year because of the issues on defense for the Jets.

But I do love Wilson and Polumalu. Polumalu is perfect for his Xbacker role in LeBeau's scheme.

I agree i like rhodes alot. But like vilma, who is to say that they're great and on bad defenses, or if they are just good players who get stats because they're the only ones there..

Its a wierd argument, but its feasible. I'd relate it to a steve smith vs chad johnson argument as to who is better. Smith is all by himself while chad fights TJ for the ball. Smith has to do it all by himself while TJ helps out chad. There doesnt seem to be a true answer, but its undeniable that they're all good players.

703SKINS202
10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
how does roy williams have 4 votes, let alone any?

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 11:59 AM
how does roy williams have 4 votes, let alone any?

blind homerism. something you should know a bit about

703SKINS202
10-20-2007, 12:07 PM
blind homerism. something you should know a bit about

haha loser wow

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 12:10 PM
haha loser wow

I'm a loser baby, so why dontcha kill me?- ahh i really like that song

oh and Sanders is an animal, he should be getting more votes

oldLibid21
10-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I voted Bob Sanders. He's got the most impact on that defense besides Freeney, and he has an amazing talent in helping stop the run. The only thing that's keeping him from separating from the pack is his size and his durability.

Addict
10-20-2007, 12:54 PM
there's a lot of really really good ones, so far this season Sean Taylor's been the best, career-wise I'd say either Ed Reed or Adrian Wilson (he embodies the Cards D)

jkpigskin
10-20-2007, 03:06 PM
i have been really impressed by the play of sean taylor and adrian wilson
but of course, i think ed reed is the biggest playmaker and best player at the saftey position

bored of education
10-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I think Taylor has solidified that he wasn't all hype. Its a toss up to me as who is number one Reed or Taylor. I will make a final judgement end of season. But some safeties I have been impressed with this year include Tanard Jackson, Marlon McCree, Jim Leonhard, and I think CC Brown has been solid for Houston. OF Course Sean JOnes is SICK nice, Page and Pollard killing it

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
The scary thing is that I think Sean Taylor still hasn't realized his full potential yet. In 2-3 years he could be an absolutely dominant force like few we have seen before him. He really has had an attitude change since his legal troubles. He is humble on the field hardly even celebrating after big plays like he used to, he just seems mature and focused on football.

bored of education
10-20-2007, 08:52 PM
He does have a better sense of where to be on the field. I also think he has harnessed some that potential and their is more that will surface the more he plays.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
He most definitely benefits from playing beside Landry, Landry hasn't done too much in the way of stats, but he has not allowed a pass all season so that's a good thing, if I never hear his name called other than in run support than I'm happy. I don't care if Landry never gets and INT if they never call his name for giving up a pass I could care less. What Landry does best is a field general and puts guys in place this allows Taylor to roam and do what he do. Taylor's best year as a pro was when the Solid Ryan Clark was his partner. Clark wasn't the best safety but was a leader and allowed Taylor to roam free. Last year the crackhead Archuleta wanted to part in leading the defense so Taylor was stuck between directing the defense and trying to make plays which got him in trouble. This year the game is much simpler for him and he can just do what comes natural to him.

Crow
10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Huff was another joke, like Williams, right?

Borat
10-20-2007, 09:03 PM
If Adrian Wilson played on another team, he'd be tops on this list. He gets overlooked due to the Cardinals suckiness.

indyfan1985
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM

Sanders is not by any means overhyped. He is an OUTSTANDING safety who can punish people with his hits and is a very good pass defender as well. If I had to pick one of these safeties to start with, and all are healthy, I would definately take Sanders.

Moses
10-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Sanders is not by any means overhyped. He is an OUTSTANDING safety who can punish people with his hits and is a very good pass defender as well. If I had to pick one of these safeties to start with, and all are healthy, I would definately take Sanders.

I wonder if that is because you watch him on a weekly basis where as I bet some of the safeties on this list you have seen once or twice at most.

Shiver
10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Bob Sanders is never healthy. That alone takes him out of consideration as the best safety.

Dam8610
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Bob Sanders is never healthy. That alone takes him out of consideration as the best safety.

Define never. Would never be 4 of 5 games this season? Or perhaps the first 14 games of the 2005 season (and the reason he sat the final 2 was because the Colts had nothing to play for)?

Also, it may be somewhat deserved this year, but I reiterate that the Sean Taylor fanboyism here is ridiculous.

yodabear
10-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Yes, there is. His name, O.J. Atogwe.

Moses
10-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Define never. Would never be 4 of 5 games this season? Or perhaps the first 14 games of the 2005 season (and the reason he sat the final 2 was because the Colts had nothing to play for)?

Also, it may be somewhat deserved this year, but I reiterate that the Sean Taylor fanboyism here is ridiculous.

Bob Sanders has played more than 6 games just once in his NFL career thus far. If that's not injury prone, I don't know what is.

I would love to hear an explanation of how Bob Sanders has outperformed Sean Taylor this year. Hell, I'd like to hear about ANY safety outperforming him this season. If anything, he's underrated on these boards, ESPECIALLY before this season.

Moses
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Stats:

http://i23.tinypic.com/2m29ph3.jpg

Dam8610
10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Bob Sanders has played more than 6 games just once in his NFL career thus far. If that's not injury prone, I don't know what is.

You say that as if he's a 10 year vet. This is his 4th season, and he came in with a leg injury that the Colts knew about, one that prevented him from playing for most of the first half of the season. So basically he's had 2 chances to remain healthy, once he has, once he hasn't. Given that he's started 4 of 5 games this year and is expected to start Sunday, he's off to a good start this year as well.

I would love to hear an explanation of how Bob Sanders has outperformed Sean Taylor this year. Hell, I'd like to hear about ANY safety outperforming him this season. If anything, he's underrated on these boards, ESPECIALLY before this season.

I see you're a Sean Taylor fanboy. I said it's deserved this year moreso than in the past, but I still think the level it's at is ridiculous. If he didn't have great measurables, I wonder if people here would like him nearly as much. They certainly don't have much respect for a guy who reversed the fortunes of his defense on the way to a championship here.

Moses
10-20-2007, 11:46 PM
You say that as if he's a 10 year vet. This is his 4th season, and he came in with a leg injury that the Colts knew about, one that prevented him from playing for most of the first half of the season. So basically he's had 2 chances to remain healthy, once he has, once he hasn't. Given that he's started 4 of 5 games this year and is expected to start Sunday, he's off to a good start this year as well.

I see you're a Sean Taylor fanboy. I said it's deserved this year moreso than in the past, but I still think the level it's at is ridiculous. If he didn't have great measurables, I wonder if people here would like him nearly as much. They certainly don't have much respect for a guy who reversed the fortunes of his defense on the way to a championship here.

Who is having a better season: Sean Taylor or Bob Sanders? If you answer Sanders, I think it's clear who the true "fanboy" is.

yodabear
10-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Stats:

http://i23.tinypic.com/2m29ph3.jpg

Where are O.J. Atogwe's stats?

Dam8610
10-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Who is having a better season: Sean Taylor or Bob Sanders? If you answer Sanders, I think it's clear who the true "fanboy" is.

Why do you insist on changing the subject to Sean Taylor vs. Bob Sanders in 2007? That's not what I was looking for. I was simply making two points:

1) Bob Sanders is not as "injury prone" as some here make him out to be

2) Sean Taylor's fanboys are far too many and vocal here IMO.

The fact that you have to make those two points into that debate for some reason only reiterates my second point.

Scotty D
10-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Wilson has a ton of tackles. Are those in the running game I wonder?

703SKINS202
10-20-2007, 11:57 PM

yea come on dude u got to be kidding and theres like 10 skins fans on this site so it obviously isnt a fanboy decision people here are just givin him his props cause hes now made everything work as a safety, sanders is good but come on......

Dam8610
10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
yea come on dude u got to be kidding and theres like 10 skins fans on this site so it obviously isnt a fanboy decision people here are just givin him his props cause hes now made everything work as a safety, sanders is good but come on......

You don't have to be a fan of a team to be a fan of a player. I hate the Ravens, but I love to watch Ed Reed play, for example. And where did I say anything about Bob Sanders other than he's not as injury prone as some here make him out to be?

yodabear
10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Fine then, I'll find Otogwe's stats myself.

G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
6 6 30 28 2 0.0 -- 1 1 31 31.0 31 0 0 0

703SKINS202
10-21-2007, 12:06 AM
You don't have to be a fan of a team to be a fan of a player. I hate the Ravens, but I love to watch Ed Reed play, for example. And where did I say anything about Bob Sanders other than he's not as injury prone as some here make him out to be?

same here if u look at my post earlier i said since i live in northern virginia i get to see the skins and ravens play eveyr weekend and i still think ed reed is the best safety but if taylor keeps playing the way he has he could takeover reed for the best safety cause he will be more complete than reed in coverage and run support

remix 6
10-21-2007, 12:13 AM
stats such as tackles dont mean ****. Taylor isnt asked to play up like sanders/wilson

they've allowed him to see back this year and use his cover skills with Landry playing strongside

and please..dont make it seem like Sanders magically made the colts better in playoffs last year because u guys simply solved your tackling problem and he was just part of it.

Dam8610
10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
and please..dont make it seem like Sanders magically made the colts better in playoffs last year because u guys simply solved your tackling problem and he was just part of it.

Postseason vs. Regular Season

Rushing Yards/Game: 82.8 vs. 173.0
Points Allowed/Game: 16.2 vs. 22.5

I'm sure Bob had absolutely nothing to do with those though.

Moses
10-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Did you not read where he said he was part of it? Sorry that people aren't over an oft-injured safety with 2 career interceptions and one pass defended this season. He's a good player but he's not in the same class as Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Adrian Wilson, and the other elite safeties in this league.

The Legend
10-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Bob Sanders could be the best but he needs to stay healthy

he will never play 16games

remix 6
10-21-2007, 08:44 AM

ur telling me 1 little 5"8 safety made a team nearly 100 yards better against the run?

u realize he wasnt the only 1 making the tackles.ur problem was tackling. Colts couldnt tackle for ****.

he was 4th on your team in tackles in post season behind your 3 LBs. watching the Colts, they actually didnt miss tackles like they did all season. Sanders made some great plays but it was more of a coaching/team effort to do better.

Patriots were 1st against run for like first 3 weeks of the season..now were not. We still get there..but we dont tackle. we dont swarm to the ball. a player doesnt make a difference..everyone just needs to step up and say "okay..run to the ball..wrap up"

i do think Sanders is a top 6 safety but hes not 1-3

Ewing
10-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I voted for Weapon X just because he's my favorite player not on the Titans but right now if I had to take one guy it would be Taylor. Nobody hits harder in the NFL.

throwback54milkman
10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Kerry Rhodes has been just as good as he was last year. Whatever that means.

21ST
10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
It could either go Taylor or Reed

703SKINS202
10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
taylor just got another one, 5 ints now

awfullyquiet
10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
bob sanders is highly overrated only because the colts are getting their dick sucked by the media.
and have been.

adrian wilson, sean taylor, ed reed are all at the top of the class. all asked to do very different things, if i had to pick which one meant more to its teams overall survival? it'd be adrian wilson. if adrian wilson was mediocre, the cards would not look any better than they have in the past, say... twenty years...

ATLDirtyBirds
10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Sean Taylor has made himself number. Insanely good ballhawk now, to team with being a huge hitter. Pretty much wraps it up.

P-L
10-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Well the fact that the Colts gave up 165 rushing yards per game and 21 points per game in the 4 regular season games Sanders played in, leads me to believe he had very little to do with it.

FloridaFootball
10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
With the redskins drafting LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor can roam 15 yards deep and chase the ball. Thats why hes leading the league in interceptions.

skinzzfan25
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
With the redskins drafting LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor can roam 15 yards deep and chase the ball. Thats why hes leading the league in interceptions.

Both got a pick today :)

NYGibril28
10-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Brian Dawkins is the most underrated safety in the league, and right up there with Reed and Taylor. But because of this year I have to give the nod to Taylor.

Dam8610
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
bob sanders is highly overrated only because the colts are getting their dick sucked by the media.
and have been.

That's right, the Colts are the team everyone is talking about going 16-0, and wondering if they can be beaten. :rolleyes:

FLABillsFan
10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
You list Michael Huff but not Whitner? Fail.

Moses
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
That's right, the Colts are the team everyone is talking about going 16-0, and wondering if they can be beaten. :rolleyes:

Considering that none of the players on this list play for the Patriots, that is a completely irrelevant point. Bob Sanders has 2 career interceptions. He has one pass defended this year. He's not the amazing player you are trying to make him out to be.

Sean Taylor has 5 interceptions this year and is the best player on one of the league's best defences. Ed Reed is a former DPOY who is always around the ball making plays. Adrian Wilson is a do-it-all safety who reminds me a lot of Ed Reed. These are the truly elite guys in the league right now. Sanders is not in the same class as them and everybody who watches a variety of football games knows it.

Vikes99ej
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Sean Taylor is a man. And he's only 24.

Dam8610
10-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Considering that none of the players on this list play for the Patriots, that is a completely irrelevant point. Bob Sanders has 2 career interceptions. He has one pass defended this year. He's not the amazing player you are trying to make him out to be.

Sean Taylor has 5 interceptions this year and is the best player on one of the league's best defences. Ed Reed is a former DPOY who is always around the ball making plays. Adrian Wilson is a do-it-all safety who reminds me a lot of Ed Reed. These are the truly elite guys in the league right now. Sanders is not in the same class as them and everybody who watches a variety of football games knows it.

Well first off, you seem to entirely devalue in the box play when valuing safeties, secondly, please stop trying to make every comment I make on this thread into a Sean Taylor vs. Bob Sanders debate, and finally, what does any of this commentary have to do with the point I responded to or the point I made in the post you quoted?

thebow305
10-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Sanders is the Colts defense. When he is not there, they suck, when he is there they are pretty good. Simple as that.

I may be a homer but Reed and Taylor are by far the most talented, I give the edge to Sean because he is younger and not even close to reaching his full potential yet.

Moses
10-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Well first off, you seem to entirely devalue in the box play when valuing safeties, secondly, please stop trying to make every comment I make on this thread into a Sean Taylor vs. Bob Sanders debate, and finally, what does any of this commentary have to do with the point I responded to or the point I made in the post you quoted?

Please. Sean Taylor is easily superior to Bob Sanders in the box. Adrian Wilson is equal if not better also. Ed Reed a few years ago was amazing in the box but they rarely use him there anymore so it is tougher to evaluate him now.

The point of all this is simple. You are a homer and can't stand the fact that Bob Sanders isn't winning this debate. In fact, he's not even close. He's AT MOST the 4th best safety in the league, and I would even put Troy Polamalu ahead of him, and possibly others.

Dam8610
10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
The point of all this is simple. You are a homer and can't stand the fact that Bob Sanders isn't winning this debate. In fact, he's not even close. He's AT MOST the 4th best safety in the league, and I would even put Troy Polamalu ahead of him, and possibly others.

Wow, I don't know where you got that impression from anything I said. All I've said pertaining to Bob Sanders here is he isn't as injury prone as you and others seem to think, and he's not getting a bunch of media hype because the major media outlets, such as Eastern Seaboard Promotional Network can't seem to take their attention off the Patriots. I don't know how you get me saying he's the best S in the NFL out of any of that, but you may want to work on your reading comprehension, because it didn't work too well for you on this one.

Moses
10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Wow, I don't know where you got that impression from anything I said. All I've said pertaining to Bob Sanders here is he isn't as injury prone as you and others seem to think, and he's not getting a bunch of media hype because the major media outlets, such as Eastern Seaboard Promotional Network can't seem to take their attention off the Patriots. I don't know how you get me saying he's the best S in the NFL out of any of that, but you may want to work on your reading comprehension, because it didn't work too well for you on this one.

You referred to the Sean Taylor "fanboys" being out of control and the fact that Bob Sanders gets no respect. The reason Sean Taylor gets more respect than Bob Sanders is because he's a better player.

Dam8610
10-22-2007, 12:25 AM
You referred to the Sean Taylor "fanboys" being out of control and the fact that Bob Sanders gets no respect. The reason Sean Taylor gets more respect than Bob Sanders is because he's a better player.

I feel that the fanboyism here for Taylor is ridiculous. Even during seasons where he hasn't been all that good, people here still said he was a Top 5 S. As for Sanders, I don't think he does get any respect around here, because any time you read anything about him on this board not posted by a Colts fan, one of the first few words is, "undersized", "injury prone", "oft-injured", "overrated", or a combination of some or all of those.

Moses
10-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I feel that the fanboyism here for Taylor is ridiculous. Even during seasons where he hasn't been all that good, people here still said he was a Top 5 S. As for Sanders, I don't think he does get any respect around here, because any time you read anything about him on this board not posted by a Colts fan, one of the first few words is, "undersized", "injury prone", "oft-injured", "overrated", or a combination of some or all of those.

He IS undersized and injury-prone. He's overrated by some who think he's in the same league as the elite tier of safeties in this league.

Don Vito
10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
and he's not getting a bunch of media hype because the major media outlets

I really hope that you do not believe that ESPN underrates Sanders, he is probably one of (if not the) most talked about safety on that channel.

Dam8610
10-22-2007, 12:51 AM
He IS undersized and injury-prone. He's overrated by some who think he's in the same league as the elite tier of safeties in this league.

That's all your opinion, but while we're on the subject, do you think Maurice Jones-Drew is undersized?

Moses
10-22-2007, 12:53 AM
That's all your opinion, but while we're on the subject, do you think Maurice Jones-Drew is undersized?

Bob Sanders is 5' 8". How is that an opinion? He is CLEARLY undersized from a height perspective.

He IS injury-prone. He missed 50% of his game in his first 3 years in the league. He has missed one game so far this year. That is injury-prone.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 12:59 AM
The reason he is injury prone is the same reason he is good. He is small, but still plays with reckless abandon. He's missed, as Moses pointed out, half of his games. I don't expect that to be a fluke as long as he's flying around throwing his body at opposing players.

Borat
10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
I really hope that you do not believe that ESPN underrates Sanders, he is probably one of (if not the) most talked about safety on that channel.

This is 100% true. I think Sean Salisbury actually gizzed in his pants once when gushing over Sanders. That hasn't been confirmed though.

Dam8610
10-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Bob Sanders is 5' 8". How is that an opinion? He is CLEARLY undersized from a height perspective.

Yet weighs more than Ed Reed. Being undersized from any perspective is an opinion. If a player goes out and gets the job done, does his size matter? I don't think so.

He IS injury-prone. He missed 50% of his game in his first 3 years in the league. He has missed one game so far this year. That is injury-prone.

You're unfairly judging him. He's now had 2 injuries in his professional career, and he came in without a chance to play in his first 8 or so games, and if he plays 15 of 16 (and hopefully 18 of 19) games this season, he'll have a basically injury free season, and more healthy seasons than not, if you consider seasons in which he had a chance to be healthy.

no love
10-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I don't quite understand why everyone is arguing so much about Bob Sanders. If the question is whether he is the new #1 safety in the NFL this year. The answer is most definitely no. He's hurt, again. He has been injured for one game already and is questionable for this Monday's game. For a player to be number 1 he has to be healthy and playing at a high level.

The last time he played at a high level for the entire season was 2 years ago. He is going to have to show that he can be consistently effective over an entire season.

It's the same reason Troy Polamalu isn't #1 this year, you can't be the best when you are sitting in the training room. Troy and Bob are also very similar type players who excel at disrupting players near the line of scrimmage. In-the-box type safetys are great, but guys who create turnovers are even better. I think that if the Ravens needed Ed Reed to come down and help out near the line of scrimmage he would be used more in that capacity and be racking up tackles, but they don't need him that way. Instead he has 4 picks on the year and

Moses
10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Yet weighs more than Ed Reed. Being undersized from any perspective is an opinion. If a player goes out and gets the job done, does his size matter? I don't think so.

You're unfairly judging him. He's now had 2 injuries in his professional career, and he came in without a chance to play in his first 8 or so games, and if he plays 15 of 16 (and hopefully 18 of 19) games this season, he'll have a basically injury free season, and more healthy seasons than not, if you consider seasons in which he had a chance to be healthy.

How is being undersized an opinion? Bob Sanders is short for his position. Very short. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. Hence, people call him undersized.

He has missed 50% of his games in his first 3 seasons and another game, possibly two already this season. That IS injury-prone, no matter how the injuries happened. Sure, he could go the rest of his career without an injury but that hasn't happened yet so as of now he is injury-prone.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Why should we assume he'll stay healthy? His playing style is reason enough to assume otherwise.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2007, 08:51 AM
I cant believe people call Bob Sanders Overrated, I know espn hypes him up, but he makes huge plays all over the field, he can cover and stop the run, one of the hardest hitters, and has an overall complete game...that cover 2 would not work nearly the same without him

703SKINS202
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
sanders is definetly top 5 when hes healthy, he was all over the place last night

Addict
10-23-2007, 10:57 AM

1. Girls must find it easy to lie to you? It's what you do with it right?
2. Size DOES matter. I'll explain:

Moss v. Sanders

moss: 6'4"
sanders: 5'8"

see the problem?

okay, let's say moss jumps 41 inches (no clue if that is what he actually jumps)
in order to reach he same height as moss, sanders would have to jump not only 41 inches up but also jump the 8 inches heigt difference. Which would add up to a 49" jump which is kinda tough without one of these:
http://www.veeshopaernouts.be/shop/images/Trampoline-berg.jpg

Geo
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I found it interesting that Eric Allen called Sanders the best safety in the game right now. I respect Allen's opinion a great deal, especially when it comes to defensive backs, though I'm not sure whether or not I agree. Honestly I don't care, I just love to watch Bob play and whatever is said is said. He was superb last night.

Sanders is likely as impactful as any other safety in the game, there could very well be an argument for that.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I have Sanders right behind Reed and Taylor. My only question is his health, because his wreckless nature will lead to injuries. Its only natural.

He's perfect for the Cover 2.

bored of education
10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
WHo is better at their position Bernard Pollard or Jarrad Page?