PDA

View Full Version : "Numbers game: What statistics matter most to NFL coaches?" by Ira Miller

Geo
10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=92E9A37836F9400285EDE444CC01B6C3? id=09000d5d80358f1f&template=without-video&confirm=true

Very interesting read, I thought.

Shiver
10-20-2007, 01:36 PM
The read on Montana was fascinating.

Jughead10
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
The read on Montana was fascinating.

I can't belielve that 1/4 of all Montana's INTs came on one play that both him and Walsh loved. You think they both would have picked up on it earlier.

Also this just reaffirms my opinion that QB Rating is an extremely flawed stat.

Addict
10-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I can't belielve that 1/4 of all Montana's INTs came on one play that both him and Walsh loved. You think they both would have picked up on it earlier.

Also this just reaffirms my opinion that QB Rating is an extremely flawed stat.

it is a stat that is hard to judge, I think it depends heavily on context, it shouldn't be used to rate a qb as compared to other QB's (I was gonna say peers, but then realised that'd be saying Tavaris Jackson and Tom Brady are peers, which would be insane).

If a QB is in a very pass-happy offense, it's hard to keep a high QB rating.

ironman4579
10-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I suppose that average yards per pass attempt also factors into the passer rating thing as an overrated stat. If a team runs a safe system, short high percentage passes, not taking many chances, a QB is likely going to have a higher passer rating than a team that likes to throw down the field on longer routes and take more chances. Passer rating is a completely overrated stat however you look at it.

no love
10-21-2007, 02:12 AM
This article just makes me think how good Joe Montana could have been in the modern era. I truly believe that he would be Peyton Manningesque, Steve Young has always said that Joe Montana knew so much about being a quarterback, what if he had modern film study??

Iamcanadian
10-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Obviously the only stat that matters in the NFL is 'wins'.

Addict
10-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Obviously the only stat that matters in the NFL is 'wins'.

well it does matter if a team wins thanks to or in spite of a QB, see: Rex Grossman

duckseason
10-21-2007, 10:21 AM
This article just makes me think how good Joe Montana could have been in the modern era. I truly believe that he would be Peyton Manningesque, Steve Young has always said that Joe Montana knew so much about being a quarterback, what if he had modern film study??

Montana already had a huge advantage over other teams and QB's because of the innovative offense he ran that had yet to be fully deciphered and copied by every team in the league. I think the gap between he and others would be smaller in today's game than it was in his day. Not to mention the fact that he played prior to the free agency era, allowing his 9ers to build a perennial powerhouse laden with stars. I don't want to take anything away from Montana, but I believe he was a very good QB who was in an even better situation. Put him in today's game on a random team and I think he definitely comes down to earth a bit.