PDA

View Full Version : dcarey's 1st mock - 10/20

dcarey20
10-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Any eligible juniors are included, and the order is based off of current records.

Pick: 1 St. Louis - Jake Long, Offensive Tackle, Michigan

Glenn Dorsey is an option, but Adam Carriker is already a starter and fellow rookie Clifton Ryan is turning heads. The offensive line is in shambles and Jake Long is a good one. Quarterback may be a bit of a sleeper pick here.

Pick: 2 Miami - Glenn Dorsey, Defensive Tackle, LSU

Miami needs youth across the defensive line more than any team in the NFL right now. Dorsey is one of the most dominant d lineman in recent memory.

Pick: 3 NY Jets - Darren McFadden, Tailback, Arkansas

The consensus #1 player in the draft falls to the Jets at 3, and they jump at the oppurtunity to nab him. Thomas Jones was just brought in but he's no spring chicken and McFadden, as I eluded to, is just to good to pass on.

Pick: 4 Atlanta - Brian Brohm, Quarterback, Louisville

This is becoming one of those repetitive picks, but it's one that does make sense. Obviously Atlanta should be looking quarterback early on, and with the Petrino ties, Brohm seems a perfect fit. I will say that you can't rule out a guy like Andre Woodson. Just because Petrino coached Brohm does not mean that he will be the pick. See the Titans with Vince Young, Norm Chow, and Matt Leinart. But at this point I'll stick with Brohm as the Falcon's guy.

Pick: 5 Cincinnati - Calais Campbell, Defensive End, Miami (FL)

The Bengals are a team that is in shambles right now. The offense is a Super Bowl caliber one, but ironically, Marvin Lewis has never been able to get the other half, the defense, up to their level. With the Bengal's huge issues at linebacker, end Robert Geathers was moved to strongside linebacker, and the move looks permanent. This leaves a significant hole at defensive end, and that's where Campbell comes in. A great athlete with a dominant physcial frame, Campbell is a guy with the talent to be one of the best d lineman in the NFL for a long time.

Pick: 6 New Orleans - Kenny Phillips, Safety, Miami (FL)

The Saints have had issues in their secondary for some time now, and at 6, a corner would really make sense. But with no corner worth this pick, they go with the top safety on the board, Phillips. As far as production, Phillips has been a bit overrated. But over his career at Miami, he's shown the talent that gets him all the hype. Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper are a young duo with some potential, but neither make you feel that the Saints are set at the position.

Pick: 7 Buffalo - Sam Baker, Offensive Tackle, USC

The Bills have a budding star in left tackle Jason Peters, but again this year, the rest of the line hasn't picked up the slack. The Bills run blocking is terribly inconsistent and Baker is a guy who can come in and help that. He would have to make the transition to right tackle and I think he can do it.

Pick: 8 Chicago - Andre Woodson, Quarterback, Kentucky

Chicago's quarterback situation has been well-documented and I think just about every fan knows the name Rex Grossman. Regardless of people's opinion of Rex, I think just about everyone woul admit that the Bears need some stability there. Woodson is arguably the top senior signal caller for the 2008 draft. He's blessed with great size, talent, leadership, playmaking ability, and he's going to be one of the top 3 or 5 players from this draft in my opinion.

Pick: 9 New England (from SF) - Chris Long, Defensive End, Virginia

This is one of my picks that may make you think I'm crazy, because the Patriots have 3 pro bowl caliber lineman. But look at the rest of their team. There are no problem areas. Anywhere. Quarterback is set with Brady, Maroney at tailback, they have a boatload of receivers and tight ends. Their oline is one of the the best. The only spot where I see them having a bit of a weakness is inside linebacker, where they need some youth. But I don't know about James Laurinitis at 9, and Dan Connor doens't have much, if any expierience on the inside. So I went with Long, who could be a 'super sub' on the defensive line. His versatility could be a great weapon for a guy like Belicheck.

Pick: 10 Oakland - DeSean Jackson, Wide Receiver, California

The Oakland offense has made some huge strides this season, and they add a playmaker here with Jackson. The Oakland receiving core really lacks a big play threat, and that's just what Jackson can be. He'd obviously contribute on special teams as well.

Pick: 11 Minnesota - Malcolm Jenkins, Cornerback, Ohio State

Minnesota is a tough team to pick for at 11. A quarterback like Matt Ryan may be an option, but you still have to wonder what their feelings are with Tarvaris. Receiver seems like a good choice, but with Limas Sweed's season ending injury, he may not be worth this selection, and a guy like Early Doucet is a reach. So I went with Malcolm Jenkins, who is arguably the top cornerback in this class. Antoine Winfield is a very good starter, but Cedric Griffin's play thus far has left alot to be desired. Jenkins could come in and challenge for a starting spot right away.

Pick: 12 Denver - Dan Connor, Linebacker, Penn State

With D.J. Williams moving to middle linebacker, the Broncos have some problems on the outside. That's where Connor comes in. He's got the intangibles and leadership that former Nittany Lion Paul Posluszny had, but the on field athleticism that some felt he lacked. I feel he's the top linebacker in this draft and a legit top 15 selection.

Pick: 13 Philadelphia - Gosder Cherilus, Offensive Tackle, Boston College

Williams Thomas and Jon Runyan are both getting up there in age and can't be counted on for much longer. Former second round pick Winston Justice looekd like a future successor, but his play has been very dissapointing and he is now a big question mark. Cherilus is a guy who hasn't gotten nearly as much hype as top prospects Sam Baker and Jake Long, but he's a very good prospect in his own right.

Pick: 14 San Diego - James Laurinitis, Linebacker, Ohio State

Laurinitis is a guy who is overrated a bit, mostly by the media, I think many would concede that. But he's a player who I definitely feel can make it at the next level. It seems like the Chargers have waited for a long time to address the inside linebacker position, and they go for one here. Laurinitis is a guy who has the ability to play in their 3-4.

Pick: 15 Dallas (f Cleveland) - Early Doucet, Wide Receiver, LSU

With the season ending injury to Limas Sweed, Doucet's stock could raise a bit. Terrell Owens shows no sign of slowing down, but after him, the Cowboys lack playmakers. Doucet would be a nice addition to their receiving core.

Pick: 16 Seattle - Matt Ryan, Quarterback, Boston College

Matt Ryan is seeing his stock skyrocket with his team's success and his individual success. There's alot to like about him, great size, the arm to make all the throws, and leadership abilities. He's also not a system quarterback. Matt Hasselbeck could have some good years left in him, but I'm not sure how much longer the Seahawks want to go with him as the guy. Ryan seems like a nice fit with them.

Pick: 17 Kansas City - Keith Rivers, Linebacker, USC

Outside linebacker Derrick Johnson has turned into a leader for the Chiefs and anchors their linebacking core. Across from him is Donnie Edwards, who can still play, but you have to wonder how much longer that will be the case. Rivers is a great, intimidating talent who would be a great future addition to the Chiefs D.

Pick: 18 Arizona - Quentin Groves, Defensive End, Auburn

Antonio Smith is an underrated up and comer for the Cards at end, and Bertrad Berry is still a serviceable starter. But he's getting up there in age and at 18, Groves is a guy who makes a bit of sense. Alot of people picture Groves in a stand up 3-4 role, but he can play in the 4-3 as well.

Pick: 19 Houston - Antoine Cason, Cornerback, Arizona

Dunta Robinson is one of the best corners going right now, but the Texans have lacked a solid #2 to go along with him since he entered the league. Cason has the size and athleticism to get it done and could find himself starting sooner than later.

Pick: 20 Detroit - Steve Slaton, Tailback, West Virginia

Not many like Slaton as an NFL prospect, and wouldn't project him this high. But I love how he fits with Detroit, and thats why they make a bit of a reach for him at 20. The Lions have been searching for stability at running back for this entire year, and Slaton would give them just that. He's perfect for what Mike Martz wants to do. Arguably the fastest running back in the nation right now, at least as far as game speed. He's also a solid pass catcher. Unlike others, I like Slaton alot as a pro prospect, and I think he could be scary good with Martz.

Pick: 21 Washington - Sedrick Ellis, Defensive Tackle, USC

Many thought the Skins may opt for a defensive lineman at 6 in last year's draft, and they went for LaRon Landry, who was a more than solid selection. So the skins go for Sedrick Ellis at 21, who is a very good value. He's got about as much potential as any defensive tackle who may enter the 08 draft.

Pick: 22 Tennessee - Limas Sweed, Wide Receiver, Texas

The Titans nab Sweed, who is a top 15 talent. The Titans have alot of young talent at receiver, but it doesn't seem like any of those young guys can translate that talent into production. Sweed is blessed with great size and playmaking ability, and is a legit #1 target.

Pick: 23 Baltimore - Frank Okam, Defensive Tackle, Texas

The Ravens have a great trio of starters across their 3-4 defensive line: Haloti Ngata, Kelly Gregg, and Trevor Pryce. But depth behind them is questionable, as shown with Pryce's injury. Okam is a guy with great size who could be a great weapon for us. Not only would he be a key reserve, but he could possibly the successor to a guy like Pryce, who is 32 years old.

Pick: 24 Carolina - Tommy Blake, Defensive End, TCU

The Panthers are probably my toughest pick to project in the first round. Obviously a first round quarterback may be in the mix but after the big 3 there's no one really worth a top 25 selection. The next biggest concer is safety, but again, after Kenny Phillips, there is no safety at this point that you can justify with the 24th pick. So I went with someone that may surprise some: Tommy Blake. He's an undersized pass rusher, but he just flat out knows how to get to the quarterback. With the age of Mike Rucker, the Panthers may need a successor. Blake is a guy who could contribute as a reserve until he is ready to possibly become a starter.

Pick: 25 Tampa Bay - Reggie Smith, Cornerback, Oklahoma

Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly are both up there in age, and even though former 1st round bust Phillip Buchanon has done some good things, corner has to be a high priority. Reggie Smith has had a great career for Oklahoma, and he doubles as a return man.

Pick: 26 New York Giants - Xavier Adibi, Linebacker, Virginia Tech

Outside linebacker continues to be an area of need for the Giants. Adibi has great athleticism and is one of the top cover linebackers in the 2008 draft.

Pick: 27 Pittsburgh - Ryan Clady, Offensive Tackle, Boise State

The Steelers line has definitely shown improvement from last year, but they are not the most youthful line in the league and a piece for the future may be needed. Clady is an underrated prospect who has been a great player for Boise State.

Pick: 28 Jacksonville - Adarius Bowman, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma State

The Jaguars have a plethora of young, highly drafted receivers who seem to underachieve year after year. It's seems like every year we talk about them needing a #1 receiver through the draft. I feel like the Jags have too many receivers like Bowman for me to give him to them at 28, but I think Bowman is a guy who could finally give them some stability at the position.

Pick: 29 Green Bay - Jonathan Stewart, Tailback, Oregon

Green Bay has been one of the NFL's surprises this year, winning games with a high powered passing game and good defense. But their running game is near the bottom of the pack, and that's where Stewart comes in. A bruiser with alot of talent, Stewart has the potential of a top 10 pick, and would be a great pick and value for Green Bay at 29.

Pick: 30 San Francisco (f Indy) - Keenan Burton, Wide Receiver, Kentucky

Burton's a guy who you won't see in alot of first round mocks at this point, but I feel there's an outside chance he could make it in. He's got good size, and great potential. I feel he's going to perform very well in offseason workouts and the combine and he'll be a riser. The 49ers receiving core has been a big dissapointment this year and look for them to address that fairly early in the draft.

Pick: 31 Dallas - Justin King, Cornerback, Penn State

For Dallas, King would likely be drafted as a nickelback, and you usually don't see a nickelback taken in the first round, but Dallas does not have many holes at to fulfill after taking a receiver at 15, so they can afford to take a guy like King here. He could be a very valuable player behind Newman and Henry.

Pick: 32 New England - Forfeited.

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Adibi is overrated and with King on the board, there is much more value/need available.

BuckNaked
10-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Malcolm Jenkins? CB isn't a large position of need for us at the moment with mor important concerns.

Crazy_Chris
10-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Well the certainly is an interesting Vikings pick... not sure how i feel about it i like malcolm jenkins but the coaches already like both of our Young corners McCauley and Griffin. But you are right about one thing it we are a difficult team to pick for there. Personally i would prefer Gosder Cherilus to take over for Ryan Cook. Matt Ryan IMO would also be good value there but if Brad Childress is still here we won't be taking a quaterback in Round 1.

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Adibi is overrated and with King on the board, there is much more value/need available.

really? i feel he's under rated and would love him in big blue, but i think he'll fall to mid-late 2nd where I'd love to grab him.

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
really? i feel he's under rated and would love him in big blue, but i think he'll fall to mid-late 2nd where I'd love to grab him.

I have Highsmith and Wheeler rated over him, plus I feel that unless it is a stud LB like Rivers, LB's can be found later in the draft. The same can't be said for CBs (usually).

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I have Highsmith and Wheeler rated over him, plus I feel that unless it is a stud LB like Rivers, LB's can be found later in the draft. The same can't be said for CBs (usually).

i like LB later and would love our younger LB's to get a chance(DeOssie, Wilkinson, Blackburn). I think CB, unless its Rivers, is the way to go for the g-men. I love Cason and Jenkins from OSU.

yo123
10-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Very interesting Vikes pick I havent seen that one yet. I would rather have Matt Ryan or Gosder Cherilus there, but Cedric Griffin has been garbage this year, it all depends how much patience the front office has with him.

BuckNaked
10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Very interesting Vikes pick I havent seen that one yet. I would rather have Matt Ryan or Gosder Cherilus there, but Cedric Griffin has been garbage this year, it all depends how much patience the front office has with him.

Regardless, I would rather have McCauley get the nod to start than use a first rounder on a CB.

yo123
10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Regardless, I would rather have McCauley get the nod to start than use a first rounder on a CB.

That is very true, he has shown a lot of potential.

dcarey20
10-20-2007, 05:32 PM

I have Wheeler close to Adibi as of now, not so much Highsmith. I like his athleticism but I'm not sure about him playing in the 220 pound range at 6'1".

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I have Wheeler close to Adibi as of now, not so much Highsmith. I like his athleticism but I'm not sure about him playing in the 220 pound range at 6'1".

Adibi is 6'2'' and 219. I don't see much of a difference there. I personally don't like to draft players whose production drops their senior year. I like consistency, especially from an OLB.

dcarey20
10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Adibi is 6'2'' and 219. I don't see much of a difference there. I personally don't like to draft players whose production drops their senior year. I like consistency, especially from an OLB.

Adibi's size varies...I've seen him listed as big as 236 and as low as 221. Either way I feel he plays a bit bigger than his size indicates. I see where your coming from though, we'll just agree to disagree I guess. I like Adibi, you like Highsmith.

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 06:03 PM
True, I personally feel that Adibi plays a bit bigger than his size indicates. I see where your coming from though, we'll just agree to disagree I guess. I like Adibi, you like Highsmith.

No, I just like Highsmith over Adibi. But yeah, at least you have a good explanation behind the pick. You have a very good mock and I really enjoy your top-10. The Chris Long to NE pick is very intriguing and something that I haven't thought of, but looks like a really good fit. =D

Caddy
10-20-2007, 07:19 PM
CB's are rarely drafted in the 1st round to cover 2 teams. However, considering Tampa may be picking at the bottom of the 1st round I see it as a definite possibility. I'd probably be more comfortable with Ryan Clady there though to be honest.

Travis 24
10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Eagles really need more help in the secondary..at CB or safety..then they do at OT. Their is plenty of depth at OT, no need to go there that early..

SuperKevin
10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
NOOOOOOOOO

Sam Baker to Buffalo is a horrible pick.

JPF
10-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Bad Panthers pick. OT is a much bigger need with both of our starters being FA's after this season.

Crow
10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Disappointing for the Raiders. Too much badly needed D-line talent on the board (Ellis, Groves) to go with a luxury pick there.

bored of education
10-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Don't know about Rivers and the need he would be behind DOnnie for atleast 2 years but for whats left on the board its solid.

Scotty D
10-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I like your pick of Long to NE. I remember hearing they were highly interested in Adam Carriker last year.

I don't think CB is that big of a need for Minnesota. I think Griffin still has promise and McCauley should turn into a nice ballplayer.

Love the Rivers to KC pick.

Horrible Detroit pick. KJ has been injured but Slaton isn't going to have any holes to run through. He's going to want to go right back to WV. Clady or Reggie Smith would be better picks.

Washington gets a steal in Ellis.

I would slide Okam out of your first round. He is slipping. Maybe move a guy like Dre Moore up.

bored of education
10-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah with whats left on the board Rivers is a good pick for kc

Vikes99ej
10-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Minnesota's pick makes Vikes99ej have a sad face :( Griffin is okay and Marcus McCauley is being groomed. Matt Ryan or Cherilius please

Jensen
10-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Good Cardinals pick.

D-Unit
10-21-2007, 03:00 AM
You think that highly of Early Doucet? Interesting.

skinzzfan25
10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Ellis at 21 would be a good value pick, plus it's an area that we could use some depth.

HoopsDemon12
10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Baker is NOT a right tackle by any means.. he isnt strong enough and doesnt have the skill set. He is a Left Tackle... he just doesnt have the physical attributes IMO to suceed there at all... we could make a much better pick

NIN1984
10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I would love to have Jackson for the Raiders but we need D-line or O-line the most.

Yung Flippa
10-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Reggie Smith, Tommy Blake or Justin King would probably be better pick up for the Ravens.

Finsfan79
10-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Pick: 2 Miami - Glenn Dorsey, Defensive Tackle, LSU

Miami needs youth across the defensive line more than any team in the NFL right now. Dorsey is one of the most dominant d lineman in recent memory.

Nice pick up would like him here if we donít trade back would be a good pick for us

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
If we took alibi over king I'd be furious.