PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Cherilus will fall to second round?

oldLibid21
10-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm hoping he will fall to second round so Falcons can grab him with their first pick, but I'd just like to know what the odds of that are happening.

And can anyone help me think of a good right tackle that Falcons can draft in second or third round instead of Cherilus if he's gone by then? I have Falcons drafting Richardson with one of their second rounds picks.

Thanks!

yo123
10-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm hoping he wont fall past the Vikes...but I dont see him falling that far, at most to the late 1st.

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I think it depends how many Junior Tackles come out. OT is a major need for teams, but if Clady, Oher, and Loadholt all come out then he could realistically drop that far.

My Senior Tackle Ratings:
1. Sam Baker
2. Jake Long
3. Gosder Cherilus

My Eleigible Tackle Ratings:
1. Phil Loadholt
2. Sam Baker
3. Jake Long
4. Michael Oher
5. Ryan Clady
6. Gosder Cherilus

Green Bay Scat
10-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I think it depends how many Junior Tackles come out. OT is a major need for teams, but if Clady, Oher, and Loadholt all come out then he could realistically drop that far.

My Senior Tackle Ratings:
1. Sam Baker
2. Jake Long
3. Gosder Cherilus

My Eleigible Tackle Ratings:
1. Phil Loadholt
2. Sam Baker
3. Jake Long
4. Michael Oher
5. Ryan Clady
6. Gosder Cherilus

im guessing that Chris Williams is number 7 on that list?

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
im guessing that Chris Williams is number 7 on that list?

7. Tony Hills
8. Chris Williams

I honestly adore Williams and believe he will have the same kind of draft as Tony Ugoh. He will fall to the second, but a team will move up to snatch him up.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
My tackle ratings as of now with the 3 top juniors who I think will leave:

1. Jake Long
2. Michael Oher*
3. Sam Baker
4. Phil Loadholt*
5. Ryan Clady*
6. Gosder Cherilus
7. Tony Hills
8. Chris Williams
9. Barry Richardson
10. Heath Benedict
11. Jeff Otah
12. King Dunlap

As you can see, this is a very good tackle draft, and players who would usually go in round 1-2 can fall all the way to 3-4. So yeah, I could definitely see Gosder falling to round 2, but overall, I doubt it.

Also, Scat, I'm a big fan Chris Williams but he ranks so low because this is a pretty damn good tackle class.

Turtlepower
10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Also, Scat, I'm a big fan Chris Williams but he ranks so low because this is a pretty damn good tackle class.

My exact mentality. I believe that Levi Brown would be ranked 7th or 8th in this draft class, and I would even rank Baker and Loadholt in front of Thomas (I'm in the minority, sorry).

bearsfan_51
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Smokey has been smokeying too much crack. I'm not even including Loadholt as I think he's almost a lock to stay, and has become so overrated I'm not even going to broach that subject.

1)Jake Long (top 5 pick)
2)Sam Baker (top 15 pick)
3)Gosder Cherilus (top 20 pick)
4)Ryan Clady* (1st rounder)
5)Barry Richardson (1st-2nd rounder)
6)Michael Oher* (1st-2nd rounder)
7)Tony Hills (2nd rounder)
8)Kirk Barton (2nd-3rd rounder)
9)Heath Newberry (2nd-3rd)
10)Chris Williams (2nd-3rd)
11)Mike McGlynn (2nd-3rd)

I've got all in the 1st day.

Green Bay Scat
10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I see chris williams as tony ugoh by far this year, not player wise, just physical set wise. Hes gonna be shockingly athletic and hes gonna be a early round 2, late round 2 at worst. if he goes into the 3rd round, hes a steal. The thing is i really believe chris can play LT in the NFL.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Smokey has been smokeying too much crack. I'm not even including Loadholt as I think he's almost a lock to stay, and has become so overrated I'm not even going to broach that subject.

1)Jake Long (top 5 pick)
2)Sam Baker (top 15 pick)
3)Gosder Cherilus (top 20 pick)
4)Ryan Clady* (1st rounder)
5)Barry Richardson (1st-2nd rounder)
6)Michael Oher* (1st-2nd rounder)
7)Tony Hills (2nd rounder)
8)Kirk Barton (2nd-3rd rounder)
9)Heath Newberry (2nd-3rd)
10)Chris Williams (2nd-3rd)
11)Mike McGlynn (2nd-3rd)

I've got all in the 1st day.

There have been plenty of rumors of Loadholt coming out and I can see him coming out. He is a great prospect and the only reason why I see him not being a top 10 pick if he did come out is because of inexperience.

Barry Richardson isn't a 1st rounder and he'd be lucky to be a 2nd rounder. Chris Williams would be a 1st rounder in any other draft. Jeff Otah is a potential 2nd round pick as well.

I might be smoking crack, but you gotta lay off the lsd... :D

bearsfan_51
10-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I see chris williams as tony ugoh by far this year, not player wise, just physical set wise. Hes gonna be shockingly athletic and hes gonna be a early round 2, late round 2 at worst. if he goes into the 3rd round, hes a steal. The thing is i really believe chris can play LT in the NFL.
He plays too soft. I'm not the only person that feels this way. In that regard you are correct, he's much like Ugoh, but I don't think he's as talented.

keylime_5
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm not so sure he will succeed at left tackle in the pros. I think he's a sure thing at RT and could be a perennial pro bowler there, but LT not so much. Because of this I think there's a great shot he could drop, but that's mostly because I think Jake Long, Sam Baker, Ryan Clady, and Michael Oher will all be in the draft next April and might go higher.

Green Bay Scat
10-20-2007, 06:13 PM
He plays too soft. I'm not the only person that feels this way. In that regard you are correct, he's much like Ugoh, but I don't think he's as talented.

i agree with u a little. he doesnt seem firery at all, and when he pass sets he waits too much, and usually has the defender gets into, but he has all the physical tools u look for, and i cant say it, but i dont know if VANDY is considered a great pro football school, as how their oline coach is. Its not hard to get his technic better cause thats a little bit of his problem, just the punch. Can u give me some more spicific reasons as to why Richardson, who looks like he has worse feet, and just as not firery and hasnt looked good that much and seems like a RT only in the NFL. your a smart guy so please tell me.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
As with most offensive tackles, Cherilus' stock will depend on which and how many NFL teams believe he is a legitimate possible future starter at left tackle.

That said, I think Cherilus is a solid enough overall player that even if not a single team thinks of him as left tackle he'll still have a 1st round grade. Barring a truly terrible performance in the offseason, I don't see him falling outside the top 32 picks.

oldLibid21
10-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Who are the right tackles out of the names that you just gave me?

bearsfan_51
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
i agree with u a little. he doesnt seem firery at all, and when he pass sets he waits too much, and usually has the defender gets into, but he has all the physical tools u look for, and i cant say it, but i dont know if VANDY is considered a great pro football school, as how their oline coach is. Its not hard to get his technic better cause thats a little bit of his problem, just the punch. Can u give me some more spicific reasons as to why Richardson, who looks like he has worse feet, and just as not firery and hasnt looked good that much and seems like a RT only in the NFL. your a smart guy so please tell me.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not but here's my two cents.

I actually think Williams can play LT in the NFL, I'm just not sold that he can do either that well. I think his name is getting a lot of buzz, and his consecutive games streak without giving up a sack is impressive, but I don't view him as having great talent and I question his toughness quite frankly.

In the case of Richardson, I don't think he's had a bad year at all. You're right that he's probably limited as a RT but I don't view that as a knock once you get past the mid-1st. He has monstrous size and power and I think would be a great RT for years to come. I question Williams' ability to play RT in a lot of schemes honestly because I don't think he's the grinder type that Richardson is.

Not to mention that Richardson has been a starter since, what, his freshman year? He's played under the pressure of being an all-american and I think has had a solid, if not spectacular first year.

It's my own personal opinion obviously, and is more of a reflection of what I think is missing in Williams. I have guys like Barton and Newberry ranked above him as well after all.

bearsfan_51
10-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Who are the right tackles out of the names that you just gave me?

Basically any tackle can play right tackle, though you obviously want to look for someone with size that is powerful against the run.

Green Bay Scat
10-20-2007, 07:09 PM
it wasnt sarcasim, i noticed that after i said it and thought woops.

darnik44two
10-20-2007, 07:14 PM
My rankings say yes to your question.

01 Sam Baker, OT, Southern California
02 Jake Long, OT, Michigan
03 Phil Loadholt OT, Oklahoma*
04 Tony Hills, OT, Texas
05 Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
06 Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
07 Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
08 Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State*
09 Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
10 Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio State

oldLibid21
10-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Basically any tackle can play right tackle, though you obviously want to look for someone with size that is powerful against the run.

Chris Williams?

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
My RT rankings:
1. Jake Long
2. Michael Oher*
3. Phil Loadholt*
4. Gosder Cherilius
5. Ryan Clady*
6. Barry Richardson
7. Chris Williams

Shiver
10-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Loadholt is not ready. He needs to stay and refine his game. His potential is terrifying though.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Loadholt is not ready. He needs to stay and refine his game. His potential is terrifying though.

Don't you think his potential would warrant a first round pick at least? If that's the case I could see some agent convincing him to come out.

bearsfan_51
10-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Don't you think his potential would warrant a first round pick at least? If that's the case I could see some agent convincing him to come out.

You can get insurance policies in case of injury. Loadholt would benefit greatly by staying school.

Geo
10-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Especially as he could be the top offensive lineman/Top 5 pick off the board next year, as will be the case with Jake Long.

Joe Thomas ended up as the third overall pick in 07, but he had to stay because of his knee injury suffered in the bowl game of his junior year.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 02:51 AM
I'd be surprised if he dropped into round 2. This draft just isn't that deep, and there's enough teams that could use a tackle, right or left.