PDA

View Full Version : Mitt-Mock V. 2.0: 10-21-07

mittelstaedt2007
10-21-2007, 05:30 PM
1. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long (OT), Michigan: It's amazing how fast and far this team has fallen since the start of the year. Offensively, the weakness is evident and that is in the trenches. Long may or may not be the perfect LT prospect to come out in the past few years, but STL needs to solidify that position. If Orlando Pace is able to come back next year, this gives them a viable option at RT as well.

2. Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey (DT), LSU: May not be the ideal fit for this team as he lacks the size to be a true 3-4 nose tackle. That being said, he is one of the best prospects in this draft and should make an immediate impact, possibly at the 3-4 end.

3. Atlanta Falcons- Brian Brohm (QB), Louisville: The record continues to skip as Brohm again goes to the Falcons (very original, I know). I personally do not like Brohm as the first QB to be drafted, but this pick just makes far too much sense for it not to happen.

4. NY Jets- Darren McFadden (RB), Arkansas: This team has fallen to where its talent level probably says it should be. Aside from LT, C, MLB, and one of the CB spots, this team could go anywhere. Mangini seems like a guy who will try to get the best talent possible, and Run DMC is definately it. Yes the just got Thomas Jones, but he is kind of a Chester Taylor mold, and is solid but not spectacular. QB is a possibility, but pending on how Kellen Clemens does this season, it may not be quite as necessary.

5. Cincinnati Bengals- Calais Campbell (DE), Miami: It's amazing how such a defensive "genius" can have a team with such a rotten D. It's still hard to put the Bengals way up here but, they've played at this level since week 2. If they are here, and Campbell is available, he will most likely be the pick. Since moving Robert Geathers to LB (or so I've read), a great end is needed. CC is definately that, plays just a notch below Mario Williams.

6. New England (f/SF)- Chris Long (DE), Virginia: This really is not fair, an unbelievable team, and they have the #6 pick. Right now, this position doesn't fit their need, so most likely they will trade down, however I'm not doing any trades. Long, though not a need, provides the Pats even more depth and versatility (as if they needed it).

7. Buffalo Bills- James Laurinaitis (ILB), Ohio State: Unlike the Patriots, the Bills are not to afraid to reach for a player who they feel is a need (see Whitner and McCargo). I think the Bills will finish higher than this as I'm a believer in Trent Edwards, but so far their record puts them here. That being said, Laurinaitis is a beast of a player and with Puz, will form one of the better 1-2 combos at the LB position.

8. Minnesota Vikings- Andre Woodson (QB), Kentucky: I keep going back and forth between Woodson and Matt Ryan, and Woodson seems to get the edge. Brad Childress seems to like to go downfield a lot, and Woodson definately has the better deep ball arm. Right side O-Line or DE's are a possibility, but Woodson is too good to pass up at 8.

9. New Orleans Saints- Kenny Phillips (S), Miami: They won again today, so I'm wondering if they're gonna turn the corner and play like last year and be better than #9 overall. However, if they are here Phillips is the obvious choice as they Saints secondary lacks a true playmaker. They have a solid young safety duo right now, but Phillips is a special player and will contribute immediately.

10. Houston Texans- Ryan Clady (OT), Boise State: Finally, they get a player to be their franchise tackle, and it only took 6 years. Although not elite, Clady will definately solidify Schaub's blind side for years to come. (Note this pick is based on Schaub's injury, I do not know the extent of his injury though.)

11. Oakland Raiders- Sam Baker (OT), USC: Although Cherilus is still available, I think the USC connection will make Baker the favorite. Baker may not be the best fit at LT, but he's a much better improvement over what they have. Between Baker and Robert Gallery, that left side of the line is expensive, but very, very good.

12. Dallas (f/ Cle)- DeSean Jackson (WR), Cal: Cleveland has played well enough to somewhat justify trading up last year. With that, Dallas gets a tremendous playmaker in Jackson. Terry Glenn may be done, and Jackson can immediately step into the role of deep threat for the 'Boys.

13. Kansas City Chiefs- Gosder Cherilus (OT), BC: They are finally starting to play well, albeit behind a lackluster O-line. Cherilus can step in right away and play either tackle spot and immediately upgrade that position. No QB is needed at this point as Croyle has yet to show what he has.

14. Chicago Bears- Matt Ryan (QB), BC: Well, Lovie Smith was flat wrong about Rex Grossman this year, and Brian Griese is only a stop gap at this point in his career. Ryan has all the intangibles you want in a QB, and he continues to keep winning.

15. Arizona Cardinals- Quentin Groves (DE/OLB), Auburn: The tweener that they need for their 3-4 scheme. Groves is a very productive player that should be very good in the pros. Should play just a notch belown DeMarcus Ware. Cornerback or O-line are options as well.

16. Denver Broncos- Malcolm Kelly (WR), OU: The Broncos have been exposed for having a lack of playmakers on offense, and with Javon Walker being somewhat injury prone, they are in need of another wideout. Kelly has been nothing but great this year, and his should will probably continue to rise.

17. Detroit Lions- Malcolm Jenkins (CB), Ohio State: Probably the first time two Malcolms were taken (in the MIDDLE of the draft too) back to back. The Lion's secondary is porous, and an injection of talent is needed. Although they run the Cover-2 where high profile CB's are not needed, Jenkins is too good to pass up on at this point.

18. Philadelphia Eagles- Keith Rivers (OLB), USC: I'm sure I'll get ripped on this one by Eagles' fans, because well, they're Eagle's fans. However, the Eagles really lack a playmaker in the LB core, which has lead to them struggling in run defense. Other options could be O-Line, secondary, or of course WR.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Sedrick Ellis (DT), USC: Damn, another Scotty D pick. The Bucs are suddenly on the defensive swing and they are beginning to get back to the days of beating you down before scoring on you. Couple him with last years first pick Gaines Adams and you have a great inside-outside combo.

20. Tennessee Titans- Early Doucet (WR), LSU: The Titans are truly a one-man, although Lendale White is beginning to progress. What they lack is a threat on the outside, and Doucet does that. A good combination of size and speed, he is much more of a big-play threat than Limas Sweed.

21. Seattle Seahawks- Jonathan Stewart (RB), Oregon: I never like drafting backups in the first round, but the Seahawks are another team with seemingly no need. TE is an option, but I don't feel that John Carlson is truly worthy of a pick in the middle of the first round. That being said, WShaun Alexander does have a big contract, but it seems like the wheels are getting loose.

22. Baltimore Ravens- Justin King (CB), PSU: Unfortunately there is not a good OT prospect worth a first rounder at this point, so the Ravens will have to settle for a CB. Chris McCallister is still in the upper echelon, but is beginning to show his age, and Samari Rolle is past his prime and beginning to slow down. Even if a replacement is not immediately needed, depth is and King will have time to become adjusted to the NFL.

23. San Diego Chargers- Frank Okam (DT), Texas: NFLDC can fire Scotty D and hire me for a lot cheaper as I seem to think a lot like him. Jamal Williams is still one of the best nose tackles in the game, but a replacement will eventually be needed. Okam has the size and athleticism needed to fill the middle.

24. Carolina Panthers- Colt Brennan (QB), Hawaii: Although they have many needs in other places, no one is left to take without reaching. What we've learned from this year is Jake Delhomme is very injury prone, David Carr is not good no matter the offensive line, and Vinny Testaverde is a freaking god. Unless Vinny plays for another decade (would love to see it), the Panthers are gonna need a QB for the future.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars- Tommy Blake (DE), TCU: They lack a true pass rusher, and that is exactly what Blake is. He is a bit undersized but makes up for it in his speed. The Jags have the best DT tandem in the NFL (sorry Minne Willams') and now have a pass rusher to compliment them.

26. NY Giants- Antoine Cason (CB), Arizona: They suddenly have a heart and are playing lights out. Their secondary still has issues, but Aaron Ross is already playing at a high level. Couple him with Cason and the G-Men will have an incredible CB tandem for the next decade or so.

27. Washington Redskins- Lawrence Jackson (DE), USC: Andre Carter has finally started to play decently, but they still lack a consistent pass rush. Jackson is just that, solid all around.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers- Reggie Smith (CB), OU: The Steelers are sticking with the 3-4, and most likely not shifting to the Cover-2 (or so I've heard) meaning that some good corners are still necessary. Ike Taylor has been disappointing since signing his new deal, and a new starter or two is needed.

29. Green Bay Packers- Mike Jenkins (CB), USF: The Packers are one of the more surprising teams this year, and the late popular pick seems to be Steve Slaton. However, Al Harris and Charles Woodson are above 30 years old and could go down hill any year. At the very least, depth is needed behind them. Jenkins fits their aggressive style of press coverage the Pack likes to run.

30. New England Patriots- FORFEITED

31. Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Thomas (CB), USC: Sort of the back of the pack for 1st round corners, but none the less is a good pick at this point. Terrence Newman appears to be getting healthy, but injuries are always a concern, and the true player that Aaron Henry is, is still unknown at this point.

32. SF (f/ Ind)- Limas Sweed (WR), Texas: In my book, the Colts are the best team until they lose it, meaning they are above the Patriots. The 49ers are the owners of the 32nd pick, and more offensive help is needed. Darrell Jackson is not the same player he was in Seattle, and more offensive weapons are needed for Alex Smith to ever progress as a QB.

Turtlepower
10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I have Reggie Smith higher on my Board, and I can see him playing FS in our defense. Cason fits our need well, but I just feel he is too much of a Aaron Ross clone. Ross is amazing, but I would prefer someone a little different. This is just personal preference because if we drafted Cason in April, I wouldn't be upset.

HoopsDemon12
10-21-2007, 05:35 PM
We take one of the corners there.. lil animal is not worht a pick that high.. and we have more needs than linebacker.. better bang for our buck at other positions if we dont trade down

Hines
10-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Ike Taylor has played well this year...go to oline in the first and if a top corner was available, he would take bmacs spot

scottyboy
10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Cason is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. Dont know why, just love the kid, nice pick

KWill93
10-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Love the Vikes pick.

Yung Flippa
10-21-2007, 06:55 PM
22. Baltimore Ravens- Justin King (CB), PSU: Unfortunately there is not a good OT prospect worth a first rounder at this point, so the Ravens will have to settle for a CB. Chris McCallister is still in the upper echelon, but is beginning to show his age, and Samari Rolle is past his prime and beginning to slow down. Even if a replacement is not immediately needed, depth is and King will have time to become adjusted to the NFL.

I like the King pick, BUT why would we need a OT? We have Adam Terry & Jared Gaither. But, I still like the Justin King pick.

T-RICH49
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I like the Cherilus pick

skinzzfan25
10-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice pick for the draft slot. I hope we finish that well :)

Crow
10-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Much rather have Ellis or Groves for Oakland.

JPF
10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
24. Carolina Panthers- Colt Brennan (QB), Hawaii: Although they have many needs in other places, no one is left to take without reaching. What we've learned from this year is Jake Delhomme is very injury prone, David Carr is not good no matter the offensive line, and Vinny Testaverde is a freaking god. Unless Vinny plays for another decade (would love to see it), the Panthers are gonna need a QB for the future.

He injured the elbow on his throwing arm and had surgery. That really doesn't make him injury prone. If you're combining that and the three games he missed last year with an injured thumb on his throwing hand, I still don't see a solid case for calling him injury prone. If he comes back and gets injured next year, then I'll agree.

Not really sure how I feel about the pick itself. Not because I disagree about QB being a need for the future, more because I'm not sure how I feel about Brennan. Besides, I feel that Reggie Smith could play free safety for us.

Finsfan79
10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
2. Miami Dolphins- Glenn Dorsey (DT), LSU: May not be the ideal fit for this team as he lacks the size to be a true 3-4 nose tackle. That being said, he is one of the best prospects in this draft and should make an immediate impact, possibly at the 3-4 end.

Good pick up he will be a good DE in the 3-4 system

If we don’t trade back I would like the pick

neko4
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I feel that alot of the USF players right now are abit hyped, but good packer pick anyway

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Don't like the vikings pick... Matt Ryan or Kenny Phillips would be a better fit for the vikings.

thebow305
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Not sold on the phins pick, but if he can help the defense in any way, I'm all for it!

Joeyjr09
10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Not sold on the phins pick, but if he can help the defense in any way, I'm all for it!

Best D player in the draft and possibly the 2nd best player in the draft behind McFadden. If he's there. We need to seriously look at taking him.

BaLLiN
10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
its a good pick for the gmen