PDA

View Full Version : Okay, let's face it, Linehan is probably done with the Rams...

NGSeiler
10-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Firing your head coach after 1.5 years probably won't be a great way to draw some interest in the job, but right or wrong, the majority of fans have basically turned on this coaching staff (we see the number growing every week) and it sounds for the first time as if the players may be as well (Terrell's outburst in practice, Bulger's eye roll on the sidelines today). The front office may simply not see much of a choice at this point.

Even though I still think Linehan has in part been a victim of horrible circumstances, including a multitude of team injuries that have made remaining competitive one heck of an uphill battle, he's also made mistakes that have led to this situation. I really don't think it's fair to fire the coach for not being able to win with what is the equivalent to a preseason offense, but the F in NFL doesn't stand for fair.

The tide has basically turned on him and it's starting to look as if there's no way that the Rams can bring him back next season and convince their fans (and perhaps themselves) that they're making changes to improve this team. It's a shame, because the team was really clicking well at the end of last season, and I really don't think that was a fluke. But we can't seem to get back there, and I'm not sure anyone has the patience to continue to give it the time it probably needs. I'm not convinced he deserves to be fired, but perhaps that's what needs to happen in order to move forward from this horrible season.

But there will be no excuses for the next two years. If they fire Linehan soon or if they've made up their mind to do it at year's end, then they have plenty of time to find the guy to right the ship.

yodabear
10-21-2007, 07:55 PM
What happened with Wrotten and Bulger? Although, it may just be frustration. Being 0-7, there will be a lot of that.

NGSeiler
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
What happened with Wrotten and Bulger? Although, it may just be frustration. Being 0-7, there will be a lot of that.

Not Wroten, but Terrell...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8838C783EF83C2ED8625737A000BAAD5?OpenDocument

As for Bulger, supposedly after one of the failed red zone drives today, Linehan took him aside and talked to him on the sideline. When Linehan turned away, the FOX camera caught Bulger rolling his eyes and smirking. I'm sure we'll hear more on this this week.

bearsfan_51
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Personally I hate firing a coach after two seasons. You're admitting that you didn't know what you were doing in the first place when you hired him. Especially considering they fired a guy like Martz who had good success with the Rams. If they really feel like Linehan isn't the guy that's their perogative, but why would the front office people be allowed to keep their jobs then?

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
It's odd, I really had high hopes for you guys this year. There seemed to be the makings of a good thing with the way the season closed last year. Granted, I also knew that there was the danger of being bad ... but this has been really bad, no matter the number of injuries. I really don't think this team is that far away from being competitive, but it sure seems like, unfortunately, for Linehan, it won't be under his watch barring a miracle. I mean, add an impact DL guy, another LB to the mix, and OL help, and I think this is a team that could surprise next year.

NGSeiler
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
If they really feel like Linehan isn't the guy that's their perogative, but why would the front office people be allowed to keep their jobs then?

LOL trust me, I think most Rams fans would be overjoyed with some turn around in the front office as well. But most have reserved ourselves to the fact that we're not going to see much of it.

It's odd, I really had high hopes for you guys this year. There seemed to be the makings of a good thing with the way the season closed last year. Granted, I also knew that there was the danger of being bad ... but this has been really bad, no matter the number of injuries. I really don't think this team is that far away from being competitive, but it sure seems like, unfortunately, for Linehan, it won't be under his watch barring a miracle. I mean, add an impact DL guy, another LB to the mix, and OL help, and I think this is a team that could surprise next year.

I definitely think that, when healthy, this team really has a lot of the cogs you need for post-season contention. I think the safety position and perhaps some youth at WR are other areas that could be addressed, but right now I think the primary areas of focus should be strengthening both lines.

yodabear
10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
IDK what it is, but I still believe in Linehan. Maybe its cuz I like the guy, and he has had a ridiculous number of injuries this season. He has made some mistakes this season aside from the injuries, but Linehan is a young head coach. Bill Bellicheck was not a very good coach in Cleveland, but he was young and he grew into one of the best coaches in NFL history. Not saying that Linehan is the next coach, that is ridiculous, and I know, another loss equals are loss total from last year, but I think we gotta stick with Linehan, have some consistency. IDK, maybe thats just me. Maybe Linehan is consistently bad, but he was 8-8 last year, he is looking prolly at 3-13 at the best this year, but let him have another year with guys that belong starting in the NFL. He lost his most important position for a couple of games and the 2nd most for the whole season. I think we need to let him coach, see how he finishes up this season, and I think we should give him another chance next year with a healthy team.

yodabear
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Also, this is our 2nd straight head coach that seems to be at best: an incredible offensive mind at head coach. Martz wasn't a head coach, he was there because Lovie Smith was around the defense, and he had the offense, and he was awful during the super bowl we got to. There are some guys that can be head coaches (Belicheck, Dungy, Reid, etc.) and then there are others who are at their bests are coordinators (Martz, Linehan, Childress, etc.)

NGSeiler
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
IDK what it is, but I still believe in Linehan. Maybe its cuz I like the guy, and he has had a ridiculous number of injuries this season. He has made some mistakes this season aside from the injuries, but Linehan is a young head coach. Bill Bellicheck was not a very good coach in Cleveland, but he was young and he grew into one of the best coaches in NFL history. Not saying that Linehan is the next coach, that is ridiculous, and I know, another loss equals are loss total from last year, but I think we gotta stick with Linehan, have some consistency. IDK, maybe thats just me. Maybe Linehan is consistently bad, but he was 8-8 last year, he is looking prolly at 3-13 at the best this year, but let him have another year with guys that belong starting in the NFL. He lost his most important position for a couple of games and the 2nd most for the whole season. I think we need to let him coach, see how he finishes up this season, and I think we should give him another chance next year with a healthy team.

Generally I would agree. Because of the injuries, I would prefer to give him another year. But at this point he's losing the majority of the fan base and may be starting to lose his players. I think there's going to come a point when the front office just doesn't feel like they can justify giving him the time he probably needs or may deserve.

yodabear
10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Generally I would agree. Because of the injuries, I would prefer to give him another year. But at this point he's losing the majority of the fan base and may be starting to lose his players. I think there's going to come a point when the front office just doesn't feel like they can justify giving him the time he probably needs or may deserve.

But what if he maraculously brings us back to 6-10 or 7-9 or something. I mean, u never know: the Browns could forget to play sometimes. And then we have an off week to get healthy. We beat the Browns, we go into the bye week with confidence and ready to come out after the bye week, and maybe we win a few. This team can get on a roll, I know we can, Linehan needs to tell them to get their heads out of their asses, establish who is the coach, and play the way we are capable of. I mean, didn't we use to have quick passes in our offense, implement some of those, with our OL issues, we ain't got time to run pretty routes. Quick 3-step drop, quick slant, and go. Where is it? We can win!

PossumBoy9
10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I think we should give him another chance next year with a healthy team.

What guarantee to you have a "healthy" team next year?

yodabear
10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
What guarantee to you have a "healthy" team next year?

We give them HGH? IDK, pray to God? There are no guarantees in the NFL.

nfrillman
10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Well the way it looks now the only games I think the Rams have a chance in are the 49ers and Falcons. I have stated my feelings about Linehan before. I will briefly summarize them. I do not expect a team with this number of significant injuries to be winning football games, but I do feel it is the coach's job to put his team in the best position to win. Linehan simply has not done that. Week in and week out the playcalling is puzzling, the management of Bulger's injury was atrocious, the fans are irrate, and he seems to have lost the respect of his players. I see a lot of not caring on the offensive side of the ball. Personally I think if they fire Linehan they have to clean house. That means the entire front office, no one seems to realize that one consistency from the demise of the Show to the new regime is the front office. In addition to the front office, I think many players need to be shown the door. Right now I would say Haslett is probably going to be the Rams head coach next year, which is fine with me. Did everyone know that the Rams have not allowed a 100 yard rusher all season and the defense has the 2nd most 3 and outs in the league. With Linehan though, his mismanagement of games and personell have driven me insane at times, but if he comes back I wouldn't really mind because I don't think any team has suffered as many significant injuries.

KCJ58
10-22-2007, 12:21 AM
i dont think we should fire him

yodabear
10-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Now, its week 7, we are 0-7, there is plenty of time to convince me that we should fire him. If I were the owner, I'd tell Linehan if he got to 4-12, he would be safe. If the players were behind him, they'd show it, and win for him. If they want him out, they'll just go through the motions and continue to do what they are doing. That is what I would do: 3-13 or worse: he is gone to me. 4-12 or better: keep him. 4-5 the rest of the season, thats all I say, it isn't hard. BTW, I was the toughest mother ****** on Martz, u all know I was formally Firemikemartz.com, so I hated him, so I am not a softy on coaches.

swagger
10-22-2007, 12:54 AM
As an outsider, is it wrong to assume that Linehan is getting a raw deal? The number of injuries the Rams have suffered is ridiculous... I'm not sure how many coaches would win with an equivalent number of injuries to such important players. They were .500 and relatively well coached last year, and I don't have any reason to think that they wouldn't improve without the injuries.

As a Viking fan, my impression of Linehan was that he should be an offensive coordinator up in the booth calling plays... an eye in the sky picking apart offenses. I wasn't sure he had the moxy to be a head coach. Right or wrong?

I'd trade Childress for Linehan in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

yodabear
10-22-2007, 01:46 AM
As an outsider, is it wrong to assume that Linehan is getting a raw deal? The number of injuries the Rams have suffered is ridiculous... I'm not sure how many coaches would win with an equivalent number of injuries to such important players. They were .500 and relatively well coached last year, and I don't have any reason to think that they wouldn't improve without the injuries.

As a Viking fan, my impression of Linehan was that he should be an offensive coordinator up in the booth calling plays... an eye in the sky picking apart offenses. I wasn't sure he had the moxy to be a head coach. Right or wrong?

I agree with everything u just said. I said earlier in this thread: Linehan is a guy that should be offensive coordinator, same with Childress. And yes, I would take Linehan over Childress too. And Linehan doesn't have the moxy to be head coach. He seems like a likeable guy, but obviously, thats not how u win the NFL. For instance, Belicheck, he is an asshole, but god damn it, he wins, and thats what is the NFL is about.

BTRams66
10-22-2007, 11:48 PM
As far as I am concerned. Linehan should be dumped, the team just doesn't seem to be rallying around him and they clearly don't believe in him particularly the offense. Rather than bringing in a new coach now midway through, plug Haslett in as the interim HC. The defense has been great in comparison with last year. We have yet to allow a 100 yd game to a single runner and the middle of the DL with Carriker and Ryan is awesome for two young rookies. The LB core has been pretty good of late with Chillar, Witherspoon and Pisa. Its pretty clear to me the linebackers play better if Pisa is playing well, if he plays crap its too much work for Spoon and Chillar and then the mistakes occur.

Then at season end a new Head Coach could be a possibility.

NGSeiler
10-22-2007, 11:58 PM

Very good post. Unfortunately, many fans don't want to consider the injury situation. They'll give it a "Yeah we've had injuries, but..." and be done with the injury discussion. I think it plays a significant role in what you're capable of doing on offense, and we've had so many that it's no wonder we struggle. I think the problem is much more injuries than it is coaching, but at this point the front office may not feel as if they have a choice.

secondeye
10-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Please fire Linehan, and we'll take him back in MN over Baldy "Challenge without waiting for a replay and lose every week, not give Peterson any carries, never stop playing a 10 yard soft zone and let mediocre WRs and QBs eat you alive, no imagination, full of himself" Childress.

MidSouthRam
11-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Nevermind.

I'll just wait for the Linehan regime to be over.