PDA

View Full Version : University of Kansas prospects

JhawkFitness
10-21-2007, 09:57 PM
With KU off to a 7 and 0 start this season and several players considered to be legitimate NFL prospects, including 2 possible 1st day picks, I realize some people don't get to see the team very often so here's a quick rundown of the current crop of prospects from KU;

Seniors
FB/RB - Brandon McAnderson - 6'0/235/4.65
Splits time at fullback in 2-back sets and tailback in single back formations. Currently averages 6.2 yard per carry and 72 yard per game though 7 contests. Good feet, solid speed, above average pass blocker. More quickness than you'd expect from a player his size. Is the secondary kickoff returner on the team with one return for 31 yards. Shows decent hands as a pass catcher out of the backfield but has had problems in the past with putting the ball on the ground. Pro comparison: Slightly less-athletic version of Brian Leonard.

WR - Marcus Henry - 6'3.5/199/4.41
Looks the part, tall rangy receiver with great speed. Averaging 4 catches for 80 yards through 7 games. Very athletic, has all the measureable, can run and jump with the best of them. Average route runner and hands, probably responsible for 1.5 to 2 drops per game. Pro comparison: Ashley Lelie

TE - Derek Fine - 6'3/245/4.68
Blocks well, catches well, runs well. Is very good at everything without being great at anything. Averaging 4 catches for 35 yards per game 7 games into the season. Loss of focus usually costs him 1 catch per game, unfortunately these are generally in or near the endzone. Pro comparison: Eric Johnson or Daniel Graham.

DT - James McClinton - 6'0.5/285/5.13
One of the quickest DT's in college football. Averaging 4.5 tackles with 1.1 for loss per game. Second on the team in sacks with 2.5, first in QB hurries with 5, and even has an interception to his credit this season. Makes up for his lack of relative size at the position with his great quickness and a motor that won't stop. Every single opponent has praised his ability to disrupt an offense. Pro comparison: John Randle (retired)

P - Kyle Tucker - 6'2/225/?
Averaged more than 42 yards per punt as a sophomore and was named to the Ray Guy Watch List as a junior, since then production has decreased as body size has increased. This may possibly be due to loss of flexibility. Teammates describe him as a "workout warrior", reputed to possess a 42" vertical jump, named "best dunker" on the team by his teammates. Recently claims to have discovered a flaw in his technique that led to the decrease in yardage in his punts, since then has averaged 43.8 yards per punt. Pro Comparison - Rick Tuten (retired)

OT - Ceasar Rodriguez - 6'7"/295/doesn't matter
Tall OT has been a starter since his freshman year at KU. Extremely long arms help him keep blockers from getting into his body though his height makes it possible for shorter players to get leverage on him when they are able to get into his body. Lanky frame for an offensive lineman and reportedly has a hard time keeping on weight. Above average feet for a lineman. Pro Comparison - lighter version of James Marten

Juniors

CB - Aqib Talib - 6'2/198/4.45
Former 2 star recruit has blossomed into a possible 1st round pick. Very good cover corner and also a solid tackler. Like every corner will occasionally get beaten but is good for at least 1 highlight play per game. Brings such a swagger to the defense that KU has also installed special packages for him on offense. Currently averaging 4.2 tackles per game to go along with 3 interceptions, 5 passes defensed. On offense is averaging 1 catch a game for an average of 25 yards with 4 touchdowns. Pro comparison - Charles Woodson

OT - Anthony Collins - 6'5/309/Does it really matter?
Honorable Mention All Big XII as a sophomore has recently said he "can't wait" to get into the NFL. Plays with a rare enthusiasm and is a very vocal team leader. Possesses very good measurables including good strength, quick feet and long arms. High football IQ. Pro comparison - John Tait

NYGibril28
10-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Good read. I have heard about Henry, Fine and Talib, the others I'll keep my eye on if I come across a game.

adschofield
10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I absolutely love Marcus Henry...but then again, I am a bit of a homer...

Can't wait for next week's game...Rock Chalk!!

kmartin575
10-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Any player is going to look good with the cupcake schedule Kansas has. They are not as good as their schedule indicates.

adschofield
10-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Any player is going to look good with the cupcake schedule Kansas has. They are not as good as their schedule indicates.

Hmmm K-State beats Texas, and then Kansas goes into Manhattan and beats them. Then Kansas goes into the same place that Oklahoma lost, and beats Colorado...Quit hating, the Jayhawks have some talent.

Windy
10-21-2007, 10:47 PM
i really like aqib talib. i think he could go 1st round.

fischbowl
10-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Where's Matt Rivera?

JhawkFitness
10-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Where's Matt Rivera?
Mike's not gonna be leaving this year.

fischbowl
10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Mike's not gonna be leaving this year.

o ok. I thought it was Matt too.

Sorry.

EvilMonkey
10-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Hmmm K-State beats Texas, and then Kansas goes into Manhattan and beats them. Then Kansas goes into the same place that Oklahoma lost, and beats Colorado...Quit hating, the Jayhawks have some talent.

i agree that Kansas has some talent but the whole "this team beat this good team and we beat them so we're good" arguement is just ridiculously absurd. It happens every year and their is no merit to it.

Appalachian State beat Michigan then Georgia Southern and Wofford beat Appalachian State so Georgia Southern and Wofford have the talent to beat Michigan...

also, both games you stated were trap games the week before the Texas-Oklahoma games, making the arguement even less impressive.

Again, not hating on the Jayhawks, they have some great prospects and have played great this year. Personally i dont see how anyone cant be in love with Aqib Talib, such a good player.

Ward
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
DT - James McClinton - 6'0.5/285/5.13
One of the quickest DT's in college football. Averaging 4.5 tackles with 1.1 for loss per game. Second on the team in sacks with 2.5, first in QB hurries with 5, and even has an interception to his credit this season. Makes up for his lack of relative size at the position with his great quickness and a motor that won't stop. Every single opponent has praised his ability to disrupt an offense. Pro comparison: John Randle (retired)

Big fan of Big Mac's. Graduated the same year from the same HS as him and UT guard Cedric Dockery. Good guy, for what it's worth. I think he will pleasantly surprise a team that takes a flier on him.

Travis 24
10-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I like McClinton and McAnderson a lot too...I don't think McAnderson compares to Leonard, just because Brian Leonard was a much better athlete and all around player...but Brandon is a nice player in his own right, great vision and feet for a guy his size.

JhawkFitness
11-04-2007, 07:54 PM
I like McClinton and McAnderson a lot too...I don't think McAnderson compares to Leonard, just because Brian Leonard was a much better athlete and all around player...but Brandon is a nice player in his own right, great vision and feet for a guy his size.

Thus why I said a less-athletic version of Leonard.

foozball
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
kyle tucker!!!!! went to my highschool, Cinco Ranch in Katy, Texas...guy was a monster during kickoffs...he'd try to get it through the uprights every time.

kmartin575
11-04-2007, 09:32 PM

They barely beat Colorado.

Missouri destroyed Colorado.

adschofield
11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
They barely beat Colorado.

Missouri destroyed Colorado.

11/24

(10 char.)

JhawkFitness
12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Edited original post to add Ceasar Rodriguez into this mix as well thought I doubt his pro potential.

adschofield
12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Edited original post to add Ceasar Rodriguez into this mix as well thought I doubt his pro potential.

JHawkFitness, do you work of Kansas? Also, have you heard if Kale Pick is graduating early or not?

JhawkFitness
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
JHawkFitness, do you work of Kansas? Also, have you heard if Kale Pick is graduating early or not?

I used to work for KU but not for the Athletic Dept. I now work in professional baseball and train some of the KU players during my off-season. As for Pick, yes, he will be on campus in December.

JhawkFitness
12-14-2007, 05:17 PM
...just to update this, Collins was quoted in an article today as saying if he is told by the NFL advisory committee that he will go in the one of the first 2 rounds then he will leave school (he is also only 15 hours away from his degree). He also was reported to have said that he roommate Aqib Talib "came in together and will leave together", basically saying that if 1 leaves the other will leave and vice versa.

JhawkFitness
01-04-2008, 02:12 AM
For what it's worth, the local paper is reporting on their website that Collins and Talib are scheduled to hold a press conference Monday, 1/7 at 1pm.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:28 AM
I think most people are expecting both to go pro. It's a mistake for Collins, from a football standpoint, I think. Collins could be a first rounder next year with another solid year. Right now, he seems more of a 2nd/3rd rounder (I've got him solidly in the 2nd, but I could see folks sliding him to the 3rd). Either way, he stands to miss out on a lot of money, and he's coming out in a deep OT year.

Talib should go pro. His stock is probably as high as it's going to get. Depending on that 40 time, which is quite critical for him, anywhere from a mid-first to early 2nd seems possible.

rascal
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
The OT depth is incredible in this years draft. I like Collins a lot especially in a zone blocking scheme like Denvers. If he is there in the second I would take him in a heart beat.

lionsfan81
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
What about Mike Rivera the junior MLB??? I watched him in the bowl game and he seemed to be making plays all over the field.

JhawkFitness
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
What about Mike Rivera the junior MLB??? I watched him in the bowl game and he seemed to be making plays all over the field.

Mike is not going anywhere this season. This was his first season at OLB and he's still got a lot of learning to do under Tovar. Joe Mortenson has been at MLB this season.

Shiver
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I think Talib is at least a top-20 pick and will be a very good pro. This is coming from a Missouri fan...

JhawkFitness
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
For what its worth, sideline reporter at the GMAC Bowl just announced Talib will be turning pro, no word on Collins.

JhawkFitness
01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Talib's father confirmed he is turning pro early. ESPN is also reporting Collins will enter the draft as well.

dukies9101
01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Thank God, I also hope the chiefs get collins in the 2nd if we don't get long in the 1st

adschofield
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Thank God, I also hope the chiefs get collins in the 2nd if we don't get long in the 1st

Don't worry, we'll still get in a BCS bowl while you get to play in the Cotton Bowl :D

JhawkFitness
01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
1/8 Update - James McClinton and Brandon McAnderson have been selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game.

JhawkFitness
01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
1/12 - Marcus Henry also added to the Shrine Game roster.