PDA

View Full Version : More #1 overall potential TIm Tebow vs Ryan Perriloiux

dregolll
10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I wanted to know which QB you guys think has more #1 overall potential and who likely has a better chance of going #1 overall out of the two?

Turtlepower
10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I wanted to know which QB you guys think has more #1 overall potential and who likely has a better chance of going #1 overall out of the two?

I'm not even going to answer this question due to it being so obvious...

BuckNaked
10-21-2007, 10:08 PM

I think it's too early to make a judgement on Perilloux. He's kind of in the same situation that Tebow was in last year. He has all of the attributes of an NFL quarterback, but we have yet to see him in an expanded starting role.

I think Tebow will have a very good career as a professional, but he won't be able to do what he does running in the NFL. His deep ball did look very nice yesterday against Kentucky.

SuperKevin
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I think I'd go with Tebow to be honest

P-L
10-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Tebow has proven MUCH, MUCH more than Perrilloux but I actually think that Perrilloux has a bit more potential.

TitanHope
10-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Tebow's won't run as successfully in the NFL as he did in college. In the NFL, the LB's are bigger and know how to tackle. He'll gain 3 and his legs will get taken out.

As for passing, he has the prettiest and best deep ball in all of college football. As far as short to intermediate passes, he's pretty good and can throw off balance.

I gotta go with Tebow for right now.

Saints-Tigers
10-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Tebow has proven MUCH, MUCH more than Perrilloux but I actually think that Perrilloux has a bit more potential.

I agree with this.

I think Perriloux is just a much better quarterback, he's just not been given full control yet.

EvilMonkey
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I agree with this.

I think Perriloux is just a much better quarterback, he's just not been given full control yet.

i hope you mean potentially because there is no way perriloux is better than Tebow as of right now.

Man_Of_Steel
10-21-2007, 11:28 PM
All this Perriloux talk about his potential but lets not forget that Tebow has pretty nice potential as well. Production and Potential for me its Tebow.

Moses
10-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Remember when people said Vince Young wouldn't be able to run in the NFL?

Man_Of_Steel
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM

They said that because Young is african-american.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper851/stills/43295bcae220e-30-1.jpg

skiinginNJ
10-21-2007, 11:42 PM

i feel like young and tebow are different kind of runners. young is faster and almost as strong, where tebow has good speed but is more of a power guy.

Moses
10-21-2007, 11:49 PM
i feel like young and tebow are different kind of runners. young is faster and almost as strong, where tebow has good speed but is more of a power guy.

Very similar to how Young was compared to Vick.

nhlkdog411
10-22-2007, 12:11 AM
isn't young a high 4.5-low 4.6 guy? and tebow runs in the 4.6s as well so not much speed difference although he is shiftier..tebow will be a superior passer coming out though. Not really sure how Perriloux can be viewed as the better prospect right now, he's older and more experienced than Tebow, but can't beat out Matt Flynn who is a fairly marginal pro prospect and isn't even as good as Tebow is now.

Bama37228
10-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Ryan and his 4 heismans

no love
10-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Tebow would not last in the NFL with his physical style of run. If anyone saw during the last game versus Kentucky, he was taking some pretty big hits and he was obviously hurting.

Well, in the NFL he will be taking ever bigger hits on a weekly basis. The dude is big so he can take a big of a pounding, but no team wants their quarterback to take that kind of abuse. You look at Vince Young this year and he is passing out of the pocket to keep him from taking huge hits (which is killing his fantasy value :-( )

I think he still has better potential than Perrilloux, but he is definitely a project as any Urban Meyer prospect will be. Urban Meyer's system is much like Tedford, where the reads are simpler, but in Meyer's system the qb spends a lot of time in the shotgun to give him more time to scan the field. Like Alex Smith he will probably spend the first two years just learning how to be a drop back passer.

bored of education
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Tebow's release is slower than Leftwhich's

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM

Does Young run like a fullback? Last time I checked UT never used him as a short yardage back and made him run right up the middle. Tim Tebow will be able to run in the NFL, and he'll break some tackles, but if he tries to run up the middle 20 times a game he won't last or be very effective.

Freddy G
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I love Tebow, he is pretty much my ideal QB prospect. However, is EXTEMELY slow release scars me and it is a good thing he is mobile or sacked more than David Carr. I think part of this is because he is still young and just trying to make plays, so it should get quicker as he progresses as a more cerebral QB.

As for his running, i would compare him more to McNabb/Steve Young as apposed to Vince.

Vince Lombardi
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I love Tebow, he's got all of the intangibles that you look for in a QB. Size, strength, mobility, leadership. At this point though, he just needs to prove he get get it done as a pocket passer. And anybody who thinks that an NFL team will continually run him up the gut like Urban Meyer does is foolish. If he can develop his passing game and become extremely accurate, he could compare very favorably to Steve Young.

Moses
10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Does Young run like a fullback? Last time I checked UT never used him as a short yardage back and made him run right up the middle. Tim Tebow will be able to run in the NFL, and he'll break some tackles, but if he tries to run up the middle 20 times a game he won't last or be very effective.

Young broke lots of tackles in the NCAA, just like he does in the NFL. Of course Tebow isn't going to be running right up the gut in the NFL but I think he will be an effective dual-threat quarterback in the NFL.

RyanLeaf#1
10-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I dont think either of these players will be drafted #1 overall.

D-Unit
10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, definitely.... NEITHER of them.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I love Tebow but still see him as a more accurate culpepper at best. I question how long will it take til he consistently makes good reads and he's gotta speed up the release, it's all right but needs to speed up if he wants to be incontention for the number 1 spot.

big daddy russ
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Perrilloux's college recruitment left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not a Texas fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're committed somewhere, be committed to that place and that place only. If you're not, decommit. Don't tell Mack Brown you're "definitely" going to be in Austin, then text message/recruit other kids to Mississippi, then leave all of them hanging and go to LSU.

We honestly haven't seen enough of Perrilloux to make a sound judgment. Every time he's put in the game, the LSU offense either stalls (a lot of that comes from bad decisions and what looks like a lack of confidence out on the field) or the other team's fourth-string defense is in. Based on that, it's a moot point. He may wind up being the next Vince Young, or he may wind up being a primadonna and wasting away all of that considerable talent.

Just going on what I've seen, I'd pick Tebow ahead of Perrilloux seven days a week and twice on Sunday. He looks like a much better passer, and has already looked like a potential first rounder at the college level instead of just showing a flash here and there.

BTW, Vince Young ran in the 4.4's for whoever was wondering. I think he clocked in at 4.47 at the combine (could be wrong on the exact time, though).

lod01
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM

It's not that he can't run in the NFL, it that he's not good enough to be like Brady, or Manning or Palmer or Favre in the NFL...ever. So he has to run. If you want to see what that will get him after 8+ years in the league, look at Steve McNair and his broken down beat up body. Maybe, McNair should have handed off to Eddie George instead of stealing about 30 of his TD's over his career.

Now as far as Tebow.....if he plays the way he does now, he can definately say hello to IR. I have not seen anything that remotely resembles a franchise QB in this guy. He has 2 more years to learn how to play QB so he can succeed and QB at a high level in the NFL. We shall see.

Bama37228
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
why is everyone acting like he'll run 20 times a game in the pros

Race for the Heisman
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Because I think all the extra playing time will allow him to develop better, Tebow. Basically I think he'll come in with a higher floor than RP and a similar ceiling, but he won't have to work as much to reach it so he's more likely to reach his potential. Also, if Perilloux had the drive, he'd be the man this year. So Tebow has more #1 overall potential because of his higher floor due to more playing time.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Tebow will be a far superior college QB to Perriloux but I really like Perriloux's potential as a pro QB, I'd bet on him being the better pro.

BuddyCHRIST
10-22-2007, 05:27 PM
You all have to realize, that Tebow is running the ball so much because thats how this offense is run. Their RB's are not great and this offense doesn't just hand the ball off like normal teams do, the majority of Tebow's runs right up the middle are called plays. While Tebow needs to do a little better job of protecting himself since he's the QB...what makes everyone think he's going to get injured that often? He weighs 240 lbs now and is as strong as most D-Lineman. And he's playing SEC defenses now, the physical jump isn't going to be that big of a difference. Regardless, it's clearly Tebow right now. Perriloux is good, but I really question how good he is when he can't beat out Flynn whose been pretty poor this season. Not to mention he's got character concerns across the board. For all Tebow's physical gifts, the most impressive thing about him is his poise and leadership with a very young UF team where he is already clearly the man. He's got great competiveness.

killa3312
10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
It's not that he can't run in the NFL, it that he's not good enough to be like Brady, or Manning or Palmer or Favre in the NFL...ever. So he has to run. If you want to see what that will get him after 8+ years in the league, look at Steve McNair and his broken down beat up body. Maybe, McNair should have handed off to Eddie George instead of stealing about 30 of his TD's over his career.

Now as far as Tebow.....if he plays the way he does now, he can definately say hello to IR. I have not seen anything that remotely resembles a franchise QB in this guy. He has 2 more years to learn how to play QB so he can succeed and QB at a high level in the NFL. We shall see.

Brady was hardly great in college. And, no offense, but have you seen Tebow play this season? He's been incredible, particularly passing the ball. No, he doesn't have the prettiest mechanics and he doesn't throw a very tight spiral, but those can be corrected over time. Remember, he's a lefty, and they usually have unorthodox releases and spirals when they throw the ball.

I'm not saying Tebow is going to be a great pro QB, I don't know if he will be, but he's got the arm strength, size, mobility, and leadership to be a high draft pick.

ShutDwn
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Don't know about Perriloiux, but I don't see Tebow being a great pro passer. Maybe like David Garrard last year.

BucSappy
10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
As for passing, he has the prettiest and best deep ball in all of college football.

YUCK...while I love his deep ball accuracy, the touch on the ball is atrocious at times.

Gotta go with Andre' Woodson with the best deep ball.

I think Tebow's mobility is overrated when you consider how he matches up against an NFL defense, but what is vastly underrated is how tough he is to bring down in the pocket. He is very very strong. He will be able to shack off a defender in the NFL, and turn it into a completion or throw it away as opposed to a sack.

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I cant help but see Vince Young with a passing game thats further along when I watch Perrilloux, Ive seen all of Youngs college games and I see flashes of that when I see Perrilloux, he's big and tall, extremely fluid and elusive and has great mobility..Has a strong arm with a pretty release, but its hard to judge doing what he does now...I want to see him lead his team down the field for an entire drive and read defenses consistently, and that wont happen probably until next year...But he looks like he will equate to a pro with a very high ceiling, and im willing to bet people will be throwing out the randall cuningham comparison for a best case scenario around draft time for him...

Tebow is a great player already, I remember last year I made a thread about who has the better sophmore season McCoy or Tebow, and Tebow is playing like a seasoned vet, and McCoy looks like a scared freshman...Im not sure how tall Tebow is, so he could slip draft day, but I think he will be a great nfl qb, who can use his legs when he needs to...I think he will have the type of impact where he can come in early and lead a team like cutler if he gets used to the pro style offense quickly

BuddyCHRIST
10-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Tebow is a very legit 6'3" who from what I hear from people who meet him in person, may be closer to 6'4". If anything i'd be worried about Perriloux's height. He was listed as 6'2" in HS and now is at 6'3", though I'll admit he looks 6'3"

JhawkFitness
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
BTW, Vince Young ran in the 4.4's for whoever was wondering. I think he clocked in at 4.47 at the combine (could be wrong on the exact time, though).

Just a tad off, clocked in with a best of 4.57

Primetime21
10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Just a tad off, clocked in with a best of 4.57

And it wasnt at the combine it was at Texas. So adjust the time accordingly.

Alex Smiths slow progression and bad production will definetly hurt Tebow. I like the more accurate Culpepper comparison. Personally I think Perriloiux will be be a better prospect.

Iamcanadian
10-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Flynn, the LSU starting QB has thrown 8TD passes and 5 interceptions in 8 games. If Perriloux had any real talent, he'd have replaced Flynn long ago as LSU's starter. Sometimes people just don't realize that there is a huge adjustment between high school and college ball and it sure doesn't look like Perriloux has made it.
To compare these 2 is absurd, Tebow is head and shoulders above Perriloux, there isn't even a contest.

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
And I'm sure Keiland Williams isn't going to be a better pro prospect than Jacob Hester. That's a whole lot of assuming based just on who's starting when the 2 players are in different situations.

nhlkdog411
10-22-2007, 10:56 PM
the problem with comparing the perriloux to flynn situation to hester vs. williams isthat hester is producing qiute well with his carries while flynn really has only been OK

Saints-Tigers
10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Neither of these guys will be a runner like Vince Young.... people are fixated on 40 times, but Vince Young's running ability is absolutely game breaking, and I don't get that feel from either of these guys.

And yes, I think Perriloux has better POTENTIAL, Tebow is definitely ahead right now.

As far as Matt Flynn... Perrilloux has looked better, every chance he has had, so I wouldn't say he is being outplayed.

Iamcanadian
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Saints-Tigers;686190]

And yes, I think Perriloux has better POTENTIAL, Tebow is definitely ahead right now.

And what do you base this statement on???? What has Perriloux done??? He cannot beat out an inexperienced QB like Flynn who is having a terrible season. WHY NOT????

Javzz
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Perrilloux's college recruitment left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not a Texas fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're committed somewhere, be committed to that place and that place only. If you're not, decommit. Don't tell Mack Brown you're "definitely" going to be in Austin, then text message/recruit other kids to Mississippi, then leave all of them hanging and go to LSU.

We honestly haven't seen enough of Perrilloux to make a sound judgment. Every time he's put in the game, the LSU offense either stalls (a lot of that comes from bad decisions and what looks like a lack of confidence out on the field) or the other team's fourth-string defense is in. Based on that, it's a moot point. He may wind up being the next Vince Young, or he may wind up being a primadonna and wasting away all of that considerable talent.

Just going on what I've seen, I'd pick Tebow ahead of Perrilloux seven days a week and twice on Sunday. He looks like a much better passer, and has already looked like a potential first rounder at the college level instead of just showing a flash here and there.

Quite the opposite actually. The Auburn game was the first game this year in which the Perrilloux running package wasn't successful. A lot of the blame for the Kentucky loss has been on the coaches refusing to put Perrilloux in in the 2nd half.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2007, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Saints-Tigers;686190]

And what do you base this statement on???? What has Perriloux done??? He cannot beat out an inexperienced QB like Flynn who is having a terrible season. WHY NOT????

How do you know the job is open for competition?? How do you know the coaches dont think they can with with Flynn, who earned his stripes years before and knows the system, and just wants to prep Perrilloux for next year, because he's not going anywhere...just because Flynn is starting all game doesnt justify how either has played, but Perrilloux has outplayed Flynn, so its not as if he isnt looking better in the time he is out there

besides, calling MF inexperienced, makes me not know how serious to take your comments, because inexperienced is something he hardly is...

geaux tigers
10-23-2007, 01:15 AM
RP has better mechanics and a stronger arm than TT. But until we see him play at least half a season, theres no telling how good he plays the QB position. He did look pretty sharp taking some snaps the 1st 2 games and a full game vs Middle Tenn St.

To answer the question why RP isnt starting, Les Miles favor upperclassmen players. MF pulled off the win vs Miami in the bowl game for Miles and hes a 5th yr Senior. Also he was there for the entire spring training while RP got suspended til briefly before the season started.

Same reason why Jacob Hester(Senior) averages 14 carries a game while no other LSU RB avg more than 5. Charles Scott runs for 95yds on 5 carries in the 1st half vs UK and gets only 1 carry in the 2nd and another carry on the last play in OT#3.

nhlkdog411
10-23-2007, 08:17 AM
i dunno if someone said this already but to the person giving VY a 4.4 he just went under 4.6; 4.57 or 4.58 something like that

Staubach12
10-23-2007, 09:37 PM
First of all, it's way to early to be judging Perilloux. Second of all, Tebow has some work to do. He won't ba able to run 25 times a game like he has in college. He will not be his teams top rusher. That being said, he's going to have to learn to throw from the pocket better. His pocket passing leaves a bit to be desired. Other than that, he's a great prospect hah.

Babylon
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Havent seen enough of Perriloux to pass judgement on him yet but i would add that my top 3 draft eligible QBs as of now for the 2009 draft would be;

Matthew Stafford, Georgia
Jake Locker, U of Wash.
Tim Tebow, Florida

georgiafan
10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Even if Ryan plays great next year he is going to have to clean up his act to become the #1 pick.

Scott Wright
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
This isn't even close, it's Tebow.

In fact, I'm not sure Perriloux is even a draftable prospect at this point considering his off-the-field and character questions. Even dating back to his recruitment it seems like Ryan has made a lot of questionable decisions.

T.Smith
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
How about Jake Locker vs. Tim Tebow? Jake Locker is the better athlete, both are on the same level throwing the ball(Tebow has better player around him though)