PDA

View Full Version : My week seven opnions

BlindSite
10-22-2007, 03:39 AM
I used to write a lot of stuff, and I am actually a semi trained Journalist but work and other commitments have prevented me from writing much, but now I'm making an effort.

Hope you all like.

Rookie Watch

Tim Crowder

Big shout out to Tim Crowder who helped the Denver Broncos struggle and scrap their way to victory over a very strong Pittsburgh steelers unit with a 50 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown. Some of the play was certainly luck, but to Crowder’s credit he was in the right place, at the right time and fought hard to get his frame into the end zone. The defensive TD proved to be a catalyst in the game and helped fire Denver to a win. Not bad for a player with just one tackle so far this year.

Greg Olsen

Greg Olsen seems to be coming into his own as a receiver catching four passes in the Bears’ come from behind win against Philadelphia. With the impressive defense, Devin Hester, and the ever continuing quarterback discussion Olsen’s play has been largely overlooked the last few weeks. It shouldn’t have been as he has been impressive; especially coming up with big catches at big times to help out his team.

Best Performance

Kenny Watson

When I saw his stat line today my question was “who dey?”

Some veritable unknown 6th year bloke from Cincinnati had a day he’ll probably remember for the rest of his career. Against the New York Jets he amassed 157 Total yards and three touchdowns. For an unknown guy to steal the spotlight from the biggest ego in the NFL and lead a team, seemingly ready to implode, to victory is a truly special event. Sure the Jets aren’t exactly a steel curtain on defense (28th against the run) but Kenny Watson isn’t LT. For a guy who’ll be forgotten in a week or two to gash a defense this badly is almost unheard of, I hope he savored every carry.

The NFC South

Is there a harder division to call in the NFL? While Atlanta struggles away and New Orleans fights to find their feet Tampa Bay and Carolina quietly have quite a battle brewing for the divisional title. Tampa Bay faltered big time against Detroit and may have forced themselves into a slug fest for the division heading into the second half of the season.

Carolina has a game in hand and will be facing the formidable Indianapolis Colts next week in a game Peyton will personally be looking forward to (the Panthers are the only team he’s never beaten). Should the Panthers lose they’ll still be equal with Tampa in the division. Making the remaining games all the more tense for both teams.

Adrian Peterson

First of all, let me say that I have never been one to buy into his hype. I have always been a member of the school of thought that believed good running backs grow on trees, and many of the “elite” (note: not all) are simply above average runners being productive in an extremely advantageous system.

After watching the Minnesota game this morning, my opinion has truly changed, All Day is a monster. The thing I noticed though is that a lot of his production doesn’t come from his impressive size and speed, it comes because of his on field awareness, patience and vision. He takes great angles, finds the right hole and then decides to hit people for extra yards.

He was picked in the top ten and I still think he was a complete steal.

Coaches Losing Sleep

Andy Reid

McNabb says he is back at full strength and Westbrook has been having one of his better years, but the offense is still faltering. Reid can’t make the players play any better and he can’t play defense, but the Eagles need to find a way to win. The city of Philly probably won’t take mistakes lightly and today’s loss against Chicago shouldn’t have happened, especially with the defensive line that Reid and Co is supposed to have built over the past few years with all those first round picks.

The worst decision of the day was not kicking to Devin Hester, sure he’s the best return man in the NFL, probably ever. But, you don’t give your opponent an extra fifteen yards on every change of possession out of fear. These hidden yards are what coaches lose sleep over and more often than not lose games through giving up points late in the second and fourth quarter. Devin Hester is to be respected, but not feared. This is football Reid, don’t be such a wimp.

Players losing sleep

Tavaris Jackson

How long will Childress stick with a QB who only completes six passes a game. That’s one pass every ten minutes… I like Tavaris Jackson, he seems like a good guy, and god knows not many people try harder, but let’s be realistic here. That defensive line is getting older and there’s a lot of young talent on the offensive side of the ball. With both Brooks Bollinger and the more bankable Kelly Holcombe on the roster one has to ponder how long he sticks with the embattled youngster and continues to ignore the at least acceptable passers on the roster.

Rex Grossman

He’s got to be wondering “what the hell am I going to do next year?”

Lawrence Maroney

He’s got to be asking himself, “how am I going to hit my stat bonus with six carries a game?”

Quarterbacking

Tom Brady

I’ve long been a huge Peyton Manning lover, I’ve actually thought of him as not only the greatest QB in the game today, but probably of all time. In fact the Super Bowl win cemented it for me, until now.

Throughout his period of dominance Manning has always had an awesome supporting cast. Not only has he had the best receiving tandem in the league, but also a good stable of tight ends, running backs and a strong offensive line. To top it off, he’s been he’s been able to call his own plays.

Tom Brady on the other hand has always been a trooper, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, while throwing to average receivers with a team of good, but not great running backs. Now however, he’s been given a ridiculous set of weapons. A top ten tight end, a perfect receiving trio, a stable running back and a wall for an offensive line. What’s he done? Had the best start to the season of any quarterback ever.

Right now he’s on pace to throw for sixty-one touchdowns, and no, that’s not a typo. Analysts think his numbers will drop off with the temperature but in the last three years he’s thrown thirty-six TD passes in the first half of the season and forty in the second half. That is to say, as a whole, he’s thrown more passes when it gets colder.

Jeff Garcia

At the beginning of the year I wrote a short article talking about Gruden’s intelligence when it came to starting Gannon in Oakland and that history would repeat with Garcia. Looks like I was right. Gannon and Garcia are pretty similar players, both mobile, accurate, smart and veteran. He’s not exactly a long term solution, but with an aging defense and a lack of play makers on offense he needed a QB to be perfect for the team now, and that’s exactly what he got.

Final Notes

I just want to mention receivers Ike Hilliard and Amani Toomer. These two combined on the weekend to get twelve receptions for one hundred and twenty eight yards two touchdowns. These guys are never mentioned with the better players in the league and in my opinion never get the respect they deserve. Instead we hear about Chad Johnson crying because he didn’t get a chance to wear a stupid jacket or smile his gold grill at the camera, instead sports writers and ESPN should be mentioning these guys. They go out every week, run perfect routes, never drop passes and generally act like normal people. Big Props to these guys who’ve been consistently two of the better receivers in the league.

Thanks guys

BlindSite
10-22-2007, 03:40 AM
Monday night may or may not be added on later, see how I feel tomorrow lol.

Shahin
10-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Great write-up man. I can't find anything I don't agree with.

diabsoule
10-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Superbly written, thoughtful, and insightful. A great article.

remix 6
10-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Laurence is hurt and reason he probably even played was because Morris was out.Why play him a lot in a meaningless game?

BlindSite
10-22-2007, 07:22 AM
It was meant as a joke ;)

Jughead10
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Ike Hilliard while extremely solid and at this point overlooked, never really lived up to his hype. He was a top 10 pick for the Giants coming out of Florida. He was always a great guy to have on the team and always caught the tough ball over the middle that other guys would alligator arm, which led to a lot of injuries for him, but never became that elite receiver you are looking for when picking one that high. But you are right, both him and Toomer are stand up guys who most any team would love to have.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Your hatred of ocho cinco is inspiring. While I love Amani, if he started stealing cj's press that'd be wrong. Chad Johnson is one of the best receivers in the game and he's a guy who gets the fans behind this team, and with that defense they could use not only a 12th man but also a 13th and 14th.

CannedToast
10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chad say he was done with the antics until his team became decent again?

bearsfan_51
10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Greg Olsen isn't getting attention because of our defense? Pssh....our defense has been terrible this year.

Anyway, Olsen is playing very well, as is Hester on offense. Our passing game is the second best part of the team right now after special teams. Let that one sink in.

And I agree about not kicking to Hester. If we start with the ball on the 40 every play I'll take that all day. It keeps Hester healthy and fresh to come in on offense.

D-Unit
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
How did you get that opinion of AD after this last game where the Cowboys held him in check for all of 63 yards? Last week after 280+ yards, I could understand... but this week? He was mortal.

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Well I still wouldnt kick to Hester, id rather let the Bears start at the 40 and see how the defense holds up at first, if you kick to Hester 3 times a game, odds are very high he makes you pay for one...or I guess you could try squib kicks...

But I think it should be noted how Hester looks to be developing at wr, he looks more polished then tedd ginn out there, and he may actually have a true position now...his hands look pretty solid, and he is a threat you have to pay attention to especially if he learns to get incorporated in the passing game 100%

Shiver
10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Ted Ginn wishes he were Devin Hester. Yet, Hester was taken in round 2 and Ginn went at #10...

Flyboy
10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Ted Ginn wishes he were Devin Hester. Yet, Hester was taken in round 2 and Ginn went at #10...

Ginn went at #9. :)

BlindSite
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
How did you get that opinion of AD after this last game where the Cowboys held him in check for all of 63 yards? Last week after 280+ yards, I could understand... but this week? He was mortal.

I didn't see the Chicago game, I saw him play the cowboys, that's why. Even the best players can struggle at times when they get no support. AD at least showed me something before 9 men engulfed him.

bearsfan_51
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Not to mention that it was a highly criticized pick (including yours truely) at the time.

BlindSite
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm an OSU homer and even I didn't like Ginn coming out. If that's not a warning sign nothing is.

yodabear
10-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Coach losing the most sleep is Scott Linehan cuz he is gonna need a new job next season.

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Tavaris Jackson

How long will Childress stick with a QB who only completes six passes a game. Thatís one pass every ten minutesÖ I like Tavaris Jackson, he seems like a good guy, and god knows not many people try harder, but letís be realistic here. That defensive line is getting older and thereís a lot of young talent on the offensive side of the ball. With both Brooks Bollinger and the more bankable Kelly Holcombe on the roster one has to ponder how long he sticks with the embattled youngster and continues to ignore the at least acceptable passers on the roster.

The problem is that Niether Bollinger nor Kelly Holcombe are acceptable. With our supporting cast it would take an elite QB for us to have much a passing game. I wouldn't expect anyone to do very good when Ryan Cook seems to be paid off by opposing defensive lineman and none of the WR's can seem to find a way to get open very much. Not to forget when the WR's finally get open they drop the pass(see Chicago bear game).

Tarvaris is young and Raw so he isn't going to be that good for those reasons. But the Right side of the o-line and the WR's are really not giving him much help at all and not to forget the questionable play-calling. You know its bad when your most reliable Reciever is both your RB's and the FB.

mqtirishfan
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Coach losing the most sleep is Scott Linehan cuz he is gonna need a new job next season.

I find it difficult to blame an offensive minded coach for the demise of the Rams this year. The Rams, if anything, prove just how important the LT position is in the NFL. Once they lost Pace, they were screwed.

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 05:03 PM

I really don't agree with this the cowboys did well but I think the real reason Adrian was held in check is our play calling, and the Tarvaris Jackson & the recievers inability to convert third downs(credit to the cowboys defense aswell). But they took the ball out of adrian's hands because they couldn't find ways extend the drives.

AD & chester were both rushing fairly well all day. I think the one thing you did that could be considered holding him in check was the Very nice play Jason Hatcher made when he reached around and knocked the ball out of AD's hands if it weren't for that im sure the boys in store for a heavy dose of AD on that drive.

yodabear
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I find it difficult to blame an offensive minded coach for the demise of the Rams this year. The Rams, if anything, prove just how important the LT position is in the NFL. Once they lost Pace, they were screwed.

I agree 100%, but most Rams people do not.

yo123
10-22-2007, 06:15 PM

You realize that he still averaged 5.3 YPC right? He only got twelve carries (Thanks Childress you pile of ****)

jag
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Before you kill Tavaris, keep this in mind. He only had 7 drop backs where he wasn't hurried, 6 were complete and one was a drop. He had literally no help back there and the play calling was extremely conservative at best.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Is Minny running a west coast with Tjax, because that would never work...

yo123
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Is Minny running a west coast with Tjax, because that would never work...

Yeah we are. Just another sign of Childress' complete disregard for the strategy of the game.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah we are. Just another sign of Childress' complete disregard for the strategy of the game.

Lol wtf? McNabb worked, but he was a much better passer than TJax was at this stage. Jackson can't run the WCO because he's not a great passer yet. he doesn't make the quick reads necessary, he's a second or two late on his throws. Throw him out in a spread or something different than the WCO because TJax can't run that yet...

Edit: I forgot to mention that Minnesotta's WR's aren't even ready to play the WCO, they can't catch worth a damn in traffic.

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Yea i was gonna say you might want to hold out on saying he doesn't make the the reads because the fact is normally our WR's are getting open quick enough or catching the ball.

BlindSite
10-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Lol wtf? McNabb worked, but he was a much better passer than TJax was at this stage. Jackson can't run the WCO because he's not a great passer yet. he doesn't make the quick reads necessary, he's a second or two late on his throws. Throw him out in a spread or something different than the WCO because TJax can't run that yet...

Edit: I forgot to mention that Minnesotta's WR's aren't even ready to play the WCO, they can't catch worth a damn in traffic.

The WRs aren't exactly great but can you really say they're that much worse than who McNabb had pre owens.

ironman4579
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the overall point should be that AD really needs to get the ball more. I realize there's the whole "don't wear down the rookie" thing, which does make sense. But he should really be getting the ball more than 12 times in a game. Don't get me wrong, Childress can feel free to give AD 0 carries the next time they play the Lions.

Addict
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I think the overall point should be that AD really needs to get the ball more. I realize there's the whole "don't wear down the rookie" thing, which does make sense. But he should really be getting the ball more than 12 times in a game. Don't get me wrong, Childress can feel free to give AD 0 carries the next time they play the Lions.

lol don't worry childess might be a big enough idiot to 'spare' AD.

ks_perfection
10-23-2007, 11:03 AM

I think he's getting the most sleep. He's resigned to the fact the team is a complete failure so he doesn't bother working hard at game film since it won't matter.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I think the Bears offense in general has gotten a bad rap since Griese came in. Since the qb change, theyve done enough offensively to win games. Its not pretty, but its enough.

The defense is the reason why theyre disappointing this year. If they just beat the Vikings, theyd be right back in the thick of it.

Also if Hester can develop as a WR, watch out.

Crazy_Chris
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Well like i said on page one the reason Adrian Peterson got so few carries is because we couldnt extend the the drives enough to keep getting him the ball.

ironman4579
10-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Well like i said on page one the reason Adrian Peterson got so few carries is because we couldnt extend the the drives enough to keep getting him the ball.

Good point, but I mean Taylor had 10 carries too. I know he actually had like a 4.7 YPC average for the game as well, I just think you can take a couple carries from Taylor and give them to Peterson. I do see your point though.

mqtirishfan
10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
The WRs aren't exactly great but can you really say they're that much worse than who McNabb had pre owens.

Why is there a comparison between the start of McNabb's career and T-Jax's? McNabb was a good young QB, Jackson is not.

yourfavestoner
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM

He probably got that opinion because AD is the only reason why they were in the game at all. Hell, he's the only reason why Minnesota has won a freakin' game.

yourfavestoner
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the Bears offense in general has gotten a bad rap since Griese came in. Since the qb change, theyve done enough offensively to win games. Its not pretty, but its enough.

The defense is the reason why theyre disappointing this year. If they just beat the Vikings, theyd be right back in the thick of it.

Also if Hester can develop as a WR, watch out.

That's the position he should have been playing all along. Miami could have been very, very creative with him, but they failed to realize it until his last collegiate game. Kudos to the Bears for realizing that trying to coach him up at corner was just going to be a complete waste of time. The kid needs the ball in his hands.

BlindSite
10-23-2007, 04:55 PM
He probably got that opinion because AD is the only reason why they were in the game at all. Hell, he's the only reason why Minnesota has won a freakin' game.

More than once people have said the problem with Tavaris Jackson isn't that's he's necessarily terrible but that he's average with a terrible supporting cast.

I was saying that its not the supporting cast that's the problem, because McNabb, who I used as an example didn't have anyone to throw to but still played well.