PDA

View Full Version : Chris Long or Calais Cambpell?

holt_bruce81
10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
who is the better DE?

no love
10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Calais Campbell, he just has too much upside to ignore. He has a bigger frame, longer arms and more athleticism. He has shown that he can be a disruptive force. For a guy his size he gets low in his stance and is pretty explosive. Those long arms are going to be a huge asset for him when he learns how to use his hands better in the pros.

I keep hearing that Long is versatile enough to play a 43 or 34 de. But in the pros a great 43 de is always going to be a better value.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Long is superior in technique, strength, motor, character, football smarts, motivation, work ethic, Campbell has a better facility and more potential to put up better numbers than Long, but Long will make a difference even if it isn't entirely noticeable in sacks. He can be a 7-9 sack guy every season and people won't recognize him as a top pro DE but his impact in the run support, and tipping balls and causing pressure don't always show up on the stats sheet, that and Long is a motivator and amazing teammate. In Long it is a sure pick you know he's good with potential to be great. Campbell has potential to be a bigger monster but more prone to be a bust.

D-Unit
10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Campbell just screams BUST. I say Long.

P-L
10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I'll take Chris Long at this point. I've always felt Campbell was overrated and, although he's having a nice season, Chris Long is dominating.

10-22-2007, 05:31 PM
i gotta go with the talent here in campbell but i know coaches love guys with big motors like long

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Trust me as an ACC fan I love Calais and I would have no problem and would understand any team taking Calais first because of his unreal facility and his potential to be great but I can't see why a team wouldn't want Long. His athleticism is underrated and his no slum athletically, pair with that the best technically sound DE I have seen in some time to go along with also the best motor I have seen in a long time and I just don't think you can go wrong, that and he is a top class student/teammate/character who's work ethic is unreal. And everyone talks about how Campbell's arms are so long(no pun intended), but who cares if his arms are Longer than Long's because Chris Long leads the nation for D-lineman in tipped passes at the LOS so his arms are fine.

no love
10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Long is superior in technique, strength, motor, character, football smarts, motivation, work ethic, Campbell has a better facility and more potential to put up better numbers than Long, but Long will make a difference even if it isn't entirely noticeable in sacks. He can be a 7-9 sack guy every season and people won't recognize him as a top pro DE but his impact in the run support, and tipping balls and causing pressure don't always show up on the stats sheet, that and Long is a motivator and amazing teammate. In Long it is a sure pick you know he's good with potential to be great. Campbell has potential to be a bigger monster but more prone to be a bust.

Good point, I had not taken into consideration any leadership value, but a players ability to get his team mates fired up is a big plus. I don't know that I can compare their work ethnic or motivation, because I don't know each prospect well enough and I can't say that I have seen enough of Long or have seen or heard of Campbell not giving it his all. From what I have seen, Campbell doesn't give up on plays.

I see long as more of a Justin Smith/Tamba Hali type kind of guy, whereas Campbells is more in the mold of Mario Williams. I guess it's a matter of draft philosophy, but if it's a first rounder I would always take the guy with the bigger upside to be a potential superstar. Campbell has the long arms that give him the better potential to be great at shedding blocks in run support, I wasn't really considering his arm length in terms of balls disrupting passing lanes.

Both have the athleticism to be good/great pass rushers, though sacks are really overrated. Both will get their fair share of pressures, but I think Calais will be better.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Good point, I had not taken into consideration any leadership value, but a players ability to get his team mates fired up is a big plus. I don't know that I can compare their work ethnic or motivation, because I don't know each prospect well enough and I can't say that I have seen enough of Long or have seen or heard of Campbell not giving it his all. From what I have seen, Campbell doesn't give up on plays.

I see long as more of a Justin Smith/Tamba Hali type kind of guy, whereas Campbells is more in the mold of Mario Williams. I guess it's a matter of draft philosophy, but if it's a first rounder I would always take the guy with the bigger upside to be a potential superstar. Campbell has the long arms that give him the better potential to be great at shedding blocks in run support, I wasn't really considering his arm length in terms of balls disrupting passing lanes.

Both have the athleticism to be good/great pass rushers, though sacks are really overrated. Both will get their fair share of pressures, but I think Calais will be better.

Not Knocking Campbell's work ethic at all but watching games he does get tired at times, whereas Long it's almost freakish to see him go all out every single play, last game he chased down Maryland RB Lance Ball in the open field from 10 yards back to make the tackle. The guy is just a freakish athlete in terms of stamina, he gets involved in every play even if 5 of his teammates are gang tackling a back he will run from 10 yards away just to jump on the pile and finish off the play.

10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
im just a bit suspicious and not ready to say longs a sure thing as ppl make him out to be

Moses
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Trust me as an ACC fan I love Calais and I would have no problem and would understand any team taking Calais first because of his unreal facility and his potential to be great but I can't see why a team wouldn't want Long. His athleticism is underrated and his no slum athletically, pair with that the best technically sound DE I have seen in some time to go along with also the best motor I have seen in a long time and I just don't think you can go wrong, that and he is a top class student/teammate/character who's work ethic is unreal. And everyone talks about how Campbell's arms are so long(no pun intended), but who cares if his arms are Longer than Long's because Chris Long leads the nation for D-lineman in tipped passes at the LOS so his arms are fine.

Long arms are useful in shedding blocks more so than tipping passes. I need to see how these guys perform in the off-season before I can put one ahead of the other but I definitely see Campbell as the more intriguing prospect. When you're that tall and rangy, you can do so many things that smaller players cannot. He could turn out to be a real monster.

That said, as others have mentioned, with Long you're getting a safer pick and a guy that is proven have great character which is essential in the pro game. I think it'll be a close call and it will ultimately be determined in the off-season.

nhlkdog411
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
care to explain why? he has 4.7ish speed which is near the best for d-ends his size (yes there are a couple freaks but overall), good overall athleticism and he's ferociously strong and competitive (that motor we're always hearing about). Not only that, but right now he's arguably the most productive linemen in the country playing at the 3-4 end spot (!). I don't really see anything not to like.

princefielder28
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Campbell just screams BUST. I say Long.

Agree! Agree! Agree!

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Chris Long at this point easily. Campbell has been relatively mediocre and hasn't even been the best DE on the team so far this season. Campbell certainly has the potential but he hasn't been playing anywhere near people were expecting or any where as well as last season. Long however has been dominating in every aspect of the game this year. Campbell has been playing well enough and has the potential to still warrant a top 20 pick but for him to go above Long as this point wouldn't make sense.

Finsfan79
10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I think long will be a bust personally

while I think Campbell will be the next big time DE in the NFL

draftguru151
10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
And the reasoning for that is?

NIN1984
10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
At this point I like Long more, I think both could be very good DEs but Campbell gets more hype than he should.

DChess
10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
i think both are overrate, long more so than campbell, neither of them should garner top ten consideration. also i think long would be more productive, and will be drafted for a 3-4 with campbell being drafted into a 4-3, so its like comparing apples and oranges.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
i think both are overrate, long more so than campbell, neither of them should garner top ten consideration. also i think long would be more productive, and will be drafted for a 3-4 with campbell being drafted into a 4-3, so its like comparing apples and oranges.

Care to explain why neither deserves top 10 consideration???

toonsterwu
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I think both are overrated a bit (Campbell moreso than Long) ... but this is a thin draft class, and if both aren't in the top 10, I'll be stunned.

Who's the better player? I started this year thinking Campbell, but I don't think there's a question right now that it is Long.

Who's the better prospect right now? That's a very debatable issue. A lot of issues to consider. For example, say Long drops to around 260. Some folks think he could run a 4.6ish time. That'd be top level if he could do that. Say Campbell closes the season real strong. I'll be the first to say that, from a relative size/athleticism ratio, Campbell is more impressive. A strong finish, plus a good postseason, and it'd be hard not to take a chance on him right now.

oldLibid21
10-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Chris Long. He's looking mighty fine this year. Look at Virginia's football program and compare it to Miami's. That's all you need to hear to want Long more. Long isn't surrounded by as much talent as Campbell is.

swagger
10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I'd take Calais. I like his size and the leverage he plays with.

Chris Long is really surprising me this year, though.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Chris Long is really good, +he has the genes, so add those up and you get a pro bowl guy.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
I think long will be a very hard working player and will be a force against the run, but I also see him not being as dominant as cambell if cambell turns out the way he should. Long just has far less superstar potential, while he could turn out as a Michael Strahan type I wouldn't bet on it and think that he'll be somewhere between Tamba Hali/Justin Smith and Jared Allen while Cambell has that Super Mario/Peppers level of potential.

DChess
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Care to explain why neither deserves top 10 consideration???

1. Calais Cambell- Plays way to high, i dont know if thats a result of being 6'8 but he has awful leverage coming off the line. Doesnt have the wide arrange of moves you would like out of a top ten prospect. he's getting by with his raw athletic ability. I also think that theres a lot of talent near the top of this draft, and i would want more sure of a bet.

2. Chris Long- I think he's more fit for a 3-4 defense, which a lot dont go in the top ten. i also think he has a high motor which has really helped him threw the college game. he's also strong but i think he lacks nfl caliber athleticism. pass rushing DE's usuaully go in the top ten, run stopping 3-4 ends dont.

NGSeiler
10-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Right now I'd have to go Chris Long. Campbell really worries me for some reason. Lots of upside, but I'm just not sure I see him reaching it. Can't really say why, just a feeling. I'd like to see more consistency from him.

Smokey Joe
10-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I am a big fan of Long, and in the mock draft I am working on, I have him being the first DE taken by the Jets (picking in the 4-7 range).

gstock05
10-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Chris long is more complete. Chris is a good pass rusher AND a very adequate run stopper.

I see him as a more disruptive Adam Carriker.

nhlkdog411
10-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I think long will be a very hard working player and will be a force against the run, but I also see him not being as dominant as cambell if cambell turns out the way he should. Long just has far less superstar potential, while he could turn out as a Michael Strahan type I wouldn't bet on it and think that he'll be somewhere between Tamba Hali/Justin Smith and Jared Allen while Cambell has that Super Mario/Peppers level of potential.

i wonder why all these people think long lacks "nfl caliber athleticism" *sarcasm*. we've already seen based from the posts here that his 40 is likely to be faster than campbell's, and as a 270ish d-end his high 4.6-low4.7 time that i've heard is very good; not freakish but very good. So what exactly makes Chris Long "just a hard worker" while Campbell at a similar size but slower is a phenomenal athlete. Oh an Jared Allen is tied for the league lead in sacks this year having missed 2 games, while michael strahan is one of best pass rushers of all time; i guess you'd rather have mario williams than either of them huh. I really don't get how you can not be high on a guy who has great physical tools (very underrated of course), ridiculous production playing imo out of position in the 3-4 and a tremendous attitude and heart.

toonsterwu
10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
1. Calais Cambell- Plays way to high, i dont know if thats a result of being 6'8 but he has awful leverage coming off the line. Doesnt have the wide arrange of moves you would like out of a top ten prospect. he's getting by with his raw athletic ability. I also think that theres a lot of talent near the top of this draft, and i would want more sure of a bet.

2. Chris Long- I think he's more fit for a 3-4 defense, which a lot dont go in the top ten. i also think he has a high motor which has really helped him threw the college game. he's also strong but i think he lacks nfl caliber athleticism. pass rushing DE's usuaully go in the top ten, run stopping 3-4 ends dont.

I think a lot of people assume that Long is a better fit for the 3-4 because he plays in the 3-4, but I'm just not sure he's an everydown NFL 3-4 end. He's got top quickness off the edge, and I think he has more than enough speed, particularly if he slims down to around 260.

MaddHatter
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
4-3 - Calais Campbell
3-4 - Chris Long

Paranoidmoonduck
10-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I think a lot of people assume that Long is a better fit for the 3-4 because he plays in the 3-4, but I'm just not sure he's an everydown NFL 3-4 end. He's got top quickness off the edge, and I think he has more than enough speed, particularly if he slims down to around 260.

I think what Long ends up being a better fit for is entirely up to him. I think he definitely plays the kind of game that you want from a 3-4 end, but whether he'll be big enough to do so in the NFL will be up to him. Obviously you see more of him than I do, but I'd be surprised if that frame isn't capable of holding 285 lbs or more. It all depends on what kind of weight he decides (or is advised) to show up at the combine at.

I definitely think that Long is the more versatile of the two, but in terms of potential as a 4-3 disruptive pass rusher, I still like Campbell a little bit more. His potential is hard to dismiss, even if Long appears like he might be the bigger impact player coming into the league.

If I had to rank the two, I think that Campbell would be slightly ahead of Long, but it all depends on what particular team we are talking about each player going to.

dcarey20
10-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Chris Long easily, he is my #1 senior prospect right now.

bigbluedefense
10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
The more I see of Long, the more impressed I am. This kid is the real deal. He has good thickness to him, he's strong, he's fast, he's smart, he has a motor, high character, productive, he's everything.

Id definately take Long right now. I think he's a stud.

Campbell, he's been rather unimpressive. He has great upside, but again, anyone with great physical ability has "great upside". He is a boom or bust type in my eyes.

And height is the most overrated aspect of DEs. Everyone thinks that being 6 7" and up is a good thing. It is NOT a good thing. Sure, you have longer arms, but you cannot play with elite leverage at that height. And playing DE in the NFL is 80% leverage. Look at the 2 most physically imposing DEs in the NFL, Mario Williams and Julius Peppers. While both have great physical tools, neither of them play with great leverage. And both of them suffer as pass rushers because of it.

The perfect height for a DE is 6 4"