PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't make sense

BucSappy
10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Scott says the most disruptive DL in college football right now is Chris Long, and he fits the 3-4 defense in the NFL...but when he talks about Miami potentially having the #1 overall pick he fails to mention how Long is a possibility there.

I don't get it. Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are mentioned but not Chris Long, who is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than Dorsey imo and I'm sure most of you will agree. Dorsey just screams 4-3 UT to me in the Warren Sapp mold and I don't think he fits Miami's defense.

So all that said, how likely could it be that Chris Long is an option to Miami if they in fact get the #1 pick. Personally, I feel like Jake Long is looking more and more like the first player off the board.

Thoughts?

no love
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Glenn Dorsey is no slouch against the run either. He has the ability to play two gaps. He has great strength and plays with great leverage.

Plus he is a dominant inside pass rusher. Those are really hard to find. In your general nickel packages, which teams spend a lot of time in these days your OLB's will become DE's. This way, you keep your best front seven on the field at all times.

Besides, it is soo valuable to have a guy who can bring pressure up the gut, it changes the way the qb operates in the pocket. An outside passrush can be neutralized by some good footwork, but an inside pass rush will make it hard to operate as an offense.

Iamcanadian
10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Scott says the most disruptive DL in college football right now is Chris Long, and he fits the 3-4 defense in the NFL...but when he talks about Miami potentially having the #1 overall pick he fails to mention how Long is a possibility there.

I don't get it. Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are mentioned but not Chris Long, who is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than Dorsey imo and I'm sure most of you will agree. Dorsey just screams 4-3 UT to me in the Warren Sapp mold and I don't think he fits Miami's defense.

So all that said, how likely could it be that Chris Long is an option to Miami if they in fact get the #1 pick. Personally, I feel like Jake Long is looking more and more like the first player off the board.

Thoughts?

If in the end, pro scouts view any of the top 3 QB's as a top 5 prospect, he will be taken by Miami even with the #1 overall pick. All you have to look at the top teams in the NFL to see that they all are solid at QB.

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I will GUARANTEE Miami will not take a QB with the 1st pick.

Iamcanadian
10-22-2007, 11:03 PM

That guarantee is worthless and based on what = nothing but your opinion. Look up the last 10 drafts where a QB was a top 5 prospect and you'll find that drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick is almost a given.

Russell
Smith
Eli Manning
Palmer
Couch
Payton
Vick

I could list all the other teams that used a 1st rounder in the last 10 years on a QB and most of them are playoff contenders but Miami is guaranteed not to draft one??? I don't think so.

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 11:11 PM
How many of those teams picked a QB in the second round the year before? It's not my opinion, it's Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller's opinion, and unless they are both fired there is NO chance we take a QB in the first.

Primetime21
10-22-2007, 11:17 PM

Thoughts?

You do not give player that big of a contract whos job is to occupy blockers and stop the run. So Chris Long is out of the question for top 5 IMO and has 0% chance of going #1.

Iamcanadian
10-22-2007, 11:26 PM
How many of those teams picked a QB in the second round the year before? It's not my opinion, it's Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller's opinion, and unless they are both fired there is NO chance we take a QB in the first.

H...mmm, Miami is going nowhere and Green is done for the year but Lemon is starting while Beck rides the bench. You'd think they would be breaking him in at least slowly to develope him for next season if they thought he was the answer.
We don't know yet if there is a top 5 QB in this year's draft but your telling me that Miami will stick with Beck if there is one in this draft. I don't think so.
You no longer win Super Bowls with average QB's. Last year, everybody said Al Davis doesn't draft QB's in round 1 but guess what, he did, so there are no guarantees if a great talent is staring you in the face.

draftguru151
10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Go find ONE example of a team taking a first round QB the year after taking one in the 2nd round. OMG Beck isn't starting 7 weeks into his rookie year, he must be a bust, I mean there is no chance the Dolphins are letting him sit and learn rather that let him get destroyed before he's ready. Fantastic logic.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
If the Dolphins staff likes Beck that much why is Cleo Lemon still playing? It's not like Beck is young or raw here, he's already 26. I'm not a supporter of the "top 5 pick in the draft = must take QB even if he's not really a top 5 talent" theory but I don't see why the Dolphins should immediately throw QB out the window if they have #1 or 2. As has been seen this year with the rash of QB injuries, it's not like having a good backup is a bad thing. Worst case scenario you have a Brees/Rivers situation but politics won't govern which one is picked since Cameron would have drafted both. I'm sure a young, talented QB could recuperate a good amount of value via trade if both Beck and Mystery 08 QB work out

Cam Cameron should ask Brad Childress how sticking with a 2nd round QB is working out (actually I guess AD is working out just fine...but yea)

Scotty D
10-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Cam Cameron should ask Brad Childress how sticking with a 2nd round QB is working out (actually I guess AD is working out just fine...but yea)

I don't think a lot of people thought Jackson was a second round pick. Everyone was what thinking what the hell they were doing? I think every game he starts everyone still is. I hated that pick from the beginning and so far I'm right. Yeah Minnesota stuck with a second round QB for another year and they got AD over Quinn. And the problem is?

Geo
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Go find ONE example of a team taking a first round QB the year after taking one in the 2nd round. OMG Beck isn't starting 7 weeks into his rookie year, he must be a bust, I mean there is no chance the Dolphins are letting him sit and learn rather that let him get destroyed before he's ready. Fantastic logic.
I'd be interested if there was an example found.

As someone noted, the Vikes drafted Tarvaris Jackson in the 2nd round of 2005 and passed on Brady Quinn in the Top 10 of 2006, but consider they drafted Adrian Peterson. So yeah.

San Diego drafted Drew Brees with the first pick of the 2nd round in 2001, and "drafted" Phillip Rivers with the 4th overall pick in 2004. Not the next year, they waited a few years.

thebow305
10-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Let's Stop this discussion about the Phins taking a top QB this year. There are very few sure things about the draft. But this is one of them. I will back DG up here, it WILL NOT HAPPEN, I ALSO GUARANTEE WE WILL NOT TAKE A QB THIS YEAR WITH THEIR FIRST PICK.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2007, 12:27 AM

Do you think McFadden will be a surprise now with Brown down, or is cameron happy with Chatman and brown for next year

but I guess people can bring up the Jackson comparison, I still think if you take a qb rd 2, and he never plays, you have to take one next year and either way your set at the qb position, the most important position, trade the other...which leads me to believe Miami HAS to play john beck this year, i dont think you can have the #1 pick and go into the new season not knowing what you get from him

Geo
10-23-2007, 12:52 AM
I think the Dolphins have much greater needs than McFadden. To be honest though, McFadden isn't an elite runningback prospect for me. He's very good and the best runningback in the class, but I just can't call him elite nevermind the clear-cut BPA above everyone else. But again, that's me.

If I were in charge of the Dolphins, I'd definitely look elsewhere. My team has big needs, need for more talent to build with, and I've got super-talented back Ronnie Brown signed through 2010 (six-year deal right? should be).

Assuming the Dolphins have the first overall pick, which I think is highly likely, who would I take? Hmm ... McFadden, as said earlier, is a BPA candidate but gets no bonus from need ... so it's probably down to three players for me: defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, defensive end Chris Long, and offensive tackle Jake Long. I still like J. Long enough to consider him here, although he's very likely a nod behind Dorsey and C. Long.

Any of the three help upgrade one of my lines of scrimmage, and I need to upgrade both so that's definitely an excellent move. Do I penalize Dorsey and C. Long for not being picture perfect fits for the 3-4 defense, or for playing 3-4 defense positions that aren't normally first overall picks? They're the best players available, superb talents, I'll take them and figure out how/where to play them later, I can't really care about much else. Taking the best possible talent available, it's hard for me to go wrong in the long run.

Truth be told, I wouldn't rule out a defensive scheme change from Capers' 3-4 defense. Nick Saban isn't there to make it work with success, and with the youth movement I'll be overseeing, changing to a 4-3 and maybe even a Tampa 2 defense could provide better results. My best defensive players can play in both the 3-4 and 4-3, and that is probably still the case whether I trade Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas.

Honestly? and assuming we're continuing this role-play as being in charge of the Miami Dolphins franchise, I think this could very well be Jason Taylor's last season in a Dolphins uniform. I could probably get a team in desperate need for a pass-rushing threat to give me an early 2nd round pick, maybe even higher. Taylor has shown he can impact games from both the 3-4 and 4-3, I'm sure there will be a few teams interested in his services.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Is it too early for me to make Desean Jackson to Miami jokes?

SchizophrenicBatman
10-23-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't think a lot of people thought Jackson was a second round pick. Everyone was what thinking what the hell they were doing? I think every game he starts everyone still is. I hated that pick from the beginning and so far I'm right. Yeah Minnesota stuck with a second round QB for another year and they got AD over Quinn. And the problem is?

problem is you better be damn sure you're getting a good player. Long run this might work out for the Vikings if they can get a QB in to replace Jackson's sucking, short term the Vikings still suck even with AD

The Dolphins already have Ronnie Brown. Conceivably, you could still take McFadden and run each 15 times a game, but I doubt that happens anymore than a QB does. So what once in a generation player (lets be honest, everyone who watched AD his freshman year knew this, the injury concerns and the RB draft fall phenomenon were the ONLY reasons he lasted until 7) are you drafting if you pass on THREE QBs?

That's the issue with this draft. Scott said there may not be any elite QBs this year. Well, is Jake Long an elite OT? (with the whispers he might have to move to RT, doubtful) Campbell at DE? The DeSean Jackson family at WR? etc

Bama37228
10-23-2007, 01:01 AM
There is no telling what posistion the fins will pick...they're horrible at every spot

SuperKevin
10-23-2007, 01:09 AM
The Dolphins are in a horrible situation right now if they pick #1 overall. This is a team with young talent already in place at the offensive skill positions and a defense that doesn't really fit the top defensive prospect. Also remember that Miami has the 31st worst defense in football right now. Miami would do really well if they could trade down to the 5th pick and take a guy like Chris Long. They could then pick up another 2nd round pick and package 2 of their 3 2nd rounders to trade into the bottom of the 1st round.

Dolfan2788
10-23-2007, 01:13 AM
The two biggest possibilities I see for the Dolphins are Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. Dom Capers, although being highly touted was unable to recognise personnel deficiencies before the season and thus our defense is awful. Leading on from this in my opinion will be his firing at the end of the year and a hiring of a 4-3 Defensive co-ordinator. I just don't think you can be the worst defense in the NFL with Joey Porter, Vonnie Holliday, Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor who are all good players and not fire the defensive co-ordinator.

The offensive line is doing very well this season especially with Carey only giving up 1 sack after the 1st game at left tackle. So Long is down a peg on need compared to Dorsey and Long as well as being iffy on being the best OT because of positional question marks in the pros.

Drafting a QB in the 1st round this year when, if a team was willing to trade down with the Dolphins, the dolphins would have taken Beck before Quinn was even taken off the board by the Browns. I just can't see it happening if Cameron and Mueller are still in charge.

McFadden is a good player but i'm of pretty much the same opinion as Geo on this one. Coupled with this is Ronnie Brown already had 1000 yards from scrimmage this year before going down and should be back to full capacity by 09 whilst filling a role in '08. I just don't think you waste a talent like that and give him half carries when he is a RB that can easily carry the load of 25 carries a game.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-23-2007, 02:03 AM

Since Brown went down you might have missed your chance. McFadden to Miami is all the rage now. ;)

Addict
10-23-2007, 02:08 AM

not really, it never is.

draftguru151
10-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Fire Capers? This is the guy that got the biggest DC contract last year. Capers is the guy who runs the defense, Saban helped out with it but Capers is the 3-4 guru. How is it is fault that the defense has had a bunch of injuries and our only NT can only play about 20 plays a game? Soliai and Fifita are both worthless against the run and Rod Wright is only slightly above average. Capers didn't cut his primary back up NT, he didn't cut Kevin Carter, he didn't not resign Jeff Zgonina, he didn't not resign David Bowens. Obviously our defense is struggling, but every coach needs players. Porter hasn't been anything special (wow, never saw that coming) Thomas had the concussion, Taylor isn't playing as well as he was last year. There needs to be changes, I'm in favor of going to a 4-3 next year more if not all the time so Dorsey does become a legitimate pick at #1 and worth the pick where as a 3-4 DE he really wouldn't be (especially not with Holliday getting a decent FA contract last year). But getting rid of Capers and bringing in someone else wouldn't make much sense.

As for Chris Long, 2 main things stand out to me, first of if the 260 rumors are true then he becomes a lot less likely, and if he is in the 275 range and 3-4 DE does become an option we drafted Matt Roth in the 2nd round a few years ago who is starting this year and while he isn't dominating he isn't playing bad enough to take a 3-4 DE #1 overall.

So what does that leave? Jake Long. Long definitely isn't the ideal LT, but Vernon Carey sure as hell isn't either. Carey has been playing ok but is MUCH better suited for RT and was becoming a great player there last year. Long is likely going to have a dominant offseason (will destroy everyone in the run game at the senior bowl, have 40+ reps, time well) and will work his way into legit #1 overall talk. So while in certain schemes Long and Dorsey will be more worthy of the #1 overall pick, they won't be in ours where as Jake will be. Obviously if we have the #1 pick is the ideal situation is to trade down with someone who does need a QB/RB but if that doesn't happen Jake Long seems like the best option at this point with Dorsey slightly behind just because of how awful the DTs have been this year.

NIN1984
10-23-2007, 09:35 AM
The only way Miami would draft a QB is if Cameron was to be fired, which I donít think will happen. Drafting Jake Long would be the best bet for the Dolphins, IMO.

Geo
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Draftguru hit it on the head like he usually does: it's not that Capers has turned into a bum, it is just very likely that the Dolphins personnel could find more success running a 4-3 than a 3-4 right now. It all starts up front in the 3-4, as is the case with the division rival Jets.

I'd also consider a full-blown Tampa 2 defense as well, considering the youth movement that's coming in and such a defense helps get the most out of young players the soonest (see Buffalo Bills) whereas the opposite is probably true with the 3-4. Maybe a one-gap 3-4? but I digress.

And with guys like Keith Traylor (38), Jason Taylor (33), and Vonnie Holliday (31) getting up there in age, I need to bring in young franchise playmakers on the defensive line and here's my chance; Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long fit the bill for me.

Or as guru said, Jake Long to solidify the much-improved offensive line. A great offensive line can help a young offense great deal.

Grig
10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Obviously, like numerous people have said, the ideal situation would be to trade out of the #1 spot with someone who has an interest in McFadden or one of the QBs. However, if we're forced to take someone at #1, I'd be fine with either Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey.

No, neither are #1 overall calibur players, but this draft isn't that strong at the top from what I'm seeing. Either one would be a solid upgrade on their respective lines.

Geo
10-23-2007, 11:17 AM
With the rookie contracts increasing every year and essentially every general manager treating Jimmy Johnson's out-dated draft value chart as holy scripture, trading in the Top 5, the Top 3 especially, and with the first overall pick most especially, it's all very unlikely to happen I think.

toonsterwu
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I was having a discussionw ith Finsfan awhile ago on the Dolphins, if they finished first. And it's just a horrible draft for them to finish first. yes, both dorsey and long could 2-gap it. But I don't see either as a top fit. I'm not sold on Jake Long as a LT, although I think for Cameron it could work. That said, Jake Long as the first overall pick? Ugh. I don't see them taking a QB at all, unless, as others have noted, both guys get canned. Even then, I wouldn't be too sure. It isn't Beck moreso than both of these guys passed on Quinn. And btw, Beck not starting now doesn't surprise. Cleo Lemon knows Cam Cameron longer and knows the system. For a veteran laden team, turning it over to Beck now could lose all ability for Cameron to control this team potentially. I'll be surprised if Beck doesn't get worked in later in the year. Say, somewhere around week 13 or 14.

I still say the three options I'd conside,r if I was Miami picking first, would be trade, Darren McFadden, and Calais Campbell. I'm a huge McFadden fan, and I think if he can run a low 4.4 (or better) time, he'll be considered one of the best RB prospects ever. Thing with drafting McFadden would be this - Ronnie Brown currently has 3 years left. After next season, he'll have 2, which is prime trading time. RB shelf-life isn't exactly long, so you'd break McFadden in and keep him fresh. Having a 2 headed RB attack could help break in Beck as well.

keylime_5
10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I"ve had Jake Long going to Miami #1 overall the past 4 or 5 weeks or so. I don't think they'll possibly take anyone else there. St.Louis is probably the same story.

toonsterwu
10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I"ve had Jake Long going to Miami #1 overall the past 4 or 5 weeks or so. I don't think they'll possibly take anyone else there. St.Louis is probably the same story.

I'm fine with Jake Long as a top 5 pick. Top of this draft ain't pretty. But first overall? Ugh ... just got a hard time stomaching that. Nothing against him ... but I just don't see a first overall talent.

As for St. Louis, I think they've got a bit more versatility. They could go Dorsey (not the biggest need, with Ryan looking fine). They could go DE. All depends on the coaching staff in place and the schemes used.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-23-2007, 06:29 PM

They forgot that John Beck was not Brady Quinn when they looked at his age

Dolfan2788
10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Draftguru hit it on the head like he usually does: it's not that Capers has turned into a bum, it is just very likely that the Dolphins personnel could find more success running a 4-3 than a 3-4 right now. It all starts up front in the 3-4, as is the case with the division rival Jets.

I'd also consider a full-blown Tampa 2 defense as well, considering the youth movement that's coming in and such a defense helps get the most out of young players the soonest (see Buffalo Bills) whereas the opposite is probably true with the 3-4. Maybe a one-gap 3-4? but I digress.

And with guys like Keith Traylor (38), Jason Taylor (33), and Vonnie Holliday (31) getting up there in age, I need to bring in young franchise playmakers on the defensive line and here's my chance; Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long fit the bill for me.

Or as guru said, Jake Long to solidify the much-improved offensive line. A great offensive line can help a young offense great deal.

That's exactly why Capers is a bum...

You don't have the kind of talent that Miami has on defense and not realise that you do not have the personnel to run a 3-4. It's as simple as that.
You switch in the off-season to a 4-3. Then your defense all of a sudden can stop Justin god damn Fargas for less than 5 yards.

DE - Taylor
DT - Traylor
DT - Holliday
DE - Roth

OLB - Porter
MLB - Thomas
OLB - Crowder

That looks a lot better than what we have on defense now half the time at 3-4.

DG51, the defense was horrible even before the injuries started occuring. No it's not Capers fault about the injuries but it is his fault for not recognising that he should have had at least a little suitable depth at safety before coming into the season and also that we needed another NT because Soliai obviously is not, and was not cutting it in the preseason.

As for Vernon Carey, he is playing great. All of our runs went behind him with Ronnie and you know how that turned out. We had Ronnie leading the league in YFS...
He has also only let up 1 sack since the 1st quarter of the 1st game. If you were to say to any team that a LT would anchor your running game during the season, lead your running back to the 4th best rusher and give up only 2-3 sacks to the midway point in the season, the team would take it in a heartbeat. I do agree with you however that Houck and Cameron with their extensive portfolio of work with O-Line's could make Long into a LT.

Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey at this point in time, which is extremely early in the draft process are the two most likely candidates for the fins pick. Whether we decide to switch to a 4-3, or keep the 3-4 and either keep Capers on or fire him will play a big part in the pick though, as will the combine. Hopefully someone rises up drastically on the boards so that there is a worthy #1/2 pick.

On a side note, has anyone else noted that the only time when the Fins get a top 5 pick in the draft which is '05 and seemingly '08 the crop at the top is not even average...?

draftguru151
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
That's exactly why Capers is a bum...

You don't have the kind of talent that Miami has on defense and not realise that you do not have the personnel to run a 3-4. It's as simple as that.
You switch in the off-season to a 4-3. Then your defense all of a sudden can stop Justin god damn Fargas for less than 5 yards.

DE - Taylor
DT - Traylor
DT - Holliday
DE - Roth

OLB - Porter
MLB - Thomas
OLB - Crowder

That looks a lot better than what we have on defense now half the time at 3-4.

How would Capers know in the offseason that his players would decline like this? The only differencea starting wise are Kevin Carter to Matt Roth and Spragan to Porter. We lost Zgonina but Fred Evans was supposed to be and looked like the future at NT. Evans is cut, we have to play Soliai and Fifita. How is that Capers fault? When Traylor isn't in we've been running more 4-3 and we still get destroyed because the other DTs are awful against the run. I just don't think Capers would use this enough to make Dorsey worth the pick because while he runs the hybrid he is still an expert with the 3-4.

DG51, the defense was horrible even before the injuries started occuring. No it's not Capers fault about the injuries but it is his fault for not recognising that he should have had at least a little suitable depth at safety before coming into the season and also that we needed another NT because Soliai obviously is not, and was not cutting it in the preseason.

The things is, we had that. We had Evans and Soliai and Fifita. Evans got cut, Capers was put in a bad situation. As for the safety depth, that has nothing to do with Capers, he doesn't sign people. Running a 3-4 or 4-3 has no effect on that.

As for Vernon Carey, he is playing great. All of our runs went behind him with Ronnie and you know how that turned out. We had Ronnie leading the league in YFS...
He has also only let up 1 sack since the 1st quarter of the 1st game. If you were to say to any team that a LT would anchor your running game during the season, lead your running back to the 4th best rusher and give up only 2-3 sacks to the midway point in the season, the team would take it in a heartbeat. I do agree with you however that Houck and Cameron with their extensive portfolio of work with O-Line's could make Long into a LT.

Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey at this point in time, which is extremely early in the draft process are the two most likely candidates for the fins pick. Whether we decide to switch to a 4-3, or keep the 3-4 and either keep Capers on or fire him will play a big part in the pick though, as will the combine. Hopefully someone rises up drastically on the boards so that there is a worthy #1/2 pick.

Carey has been doing well, and even though he hasn't been giving up a lot of sacks he is still getting beat by speed rushers and they are getting pressure. Carey is a very good player, I love him, but I love him at RT where he can be a very good player, opposed to a above average one at LT. Either side he is going to be a great run blocker, but his pass blocking is much better suited on the right side where he doesn't face as many speed guys. Long isn't a monster pass blocker either but I trust him there a lot more than I trust Carey.

On a side note, has anyone else noted that the only time when the Fins get a top 5 pick in the draft which is '05 and seemingly '08 the crop at the top is not even average...?

It really pisses me off. Last year we pick #2 we get Calvin Johnson, this year we get Jake Long? Really a bad year to pick at the top for us.

Staubach12
10-23-2007, 09:33 PM

This is just dumb. Jackson was drafted way out of position. Most people had him as a 4th rounder, tops! Beck was a great QB prospect and, unlike Jackson, seems to be the type of QB who is ready for the NFL.