PDA

View Full Version : My Week 7 Thoughts (New Format!)

Shiver
10-22-2007, 10:57 PM
I have decided to change up my format. The monotony was driving me insane and I had to do something; ergo I am broadening the scope of my weekly column. Same amount of takes, different angles.

My thoughts on…Headline News

Brady’s Assault on the Record Books

I picked him to win the NFL M.V.P award before the season and even I am amazed with how he has played this year. In the seemingly endless “Brady vs. Manning” debates I always maintained that if Brady was in Manning’s situation, with a plethora of receivers surrounding him, he would put up spectacular statistics. Sure enough, as soon as Brady has a star studded cast around him he is putting up numbers that will at least be in the same ballpark of Manning’s ’04 campaign and Marino’s ’84 campaign. Even if he doesn’t throw any touchdowns next week he will still be ahead of Peyton Manning’s ’04 pace. While I think the cold northeastern weather will slow down his statistical onslaught, it may not be enough to keep Manning’s TD record safe. If Brady was already on the path to Canton, OH, prior to the season I think this M.V.P season and potentially another super bowl title would put him among the greatest of all time at his position.

My thoughts on... NFL schemes

Don’t Force Your Scheme On Me!

One of my favorite players is going to waste right now: that is Jonathan Vilma of the New York Jets. If the Jets either moved back to the 4-3, or better yet added a force at NT to keep him clean, he would be recognized as one of the best MLB in the game. Eric Mangini is squandering the talent he has by rigidly forcing his scheme on his current roster. Mike Tomlin, on the other hand, kept the 3-4 because it fit his personnel. Tomlin did it the right way, Mangini did not; hence, Tomlin’s defense is playing very well and the Jets are struggling on that side of the ball. I do understand the need to change schemes if you are a new coach; however, if you do this you have to take the hit immediately and revamp your entire roster accordingly. This is why the “successful” franchises in the NFL are that way. Usually they take a while to reload the roster and add quality pieces that fit the scheme. Talent is one thing, and a team certainly needs it, but if they don’t fit what you’re trying to do.

The Spread Offense Is Proliferating

It has been the ‘it’ thing in College Football, and now it appears that it is becoming that way in the NFL as well. When the team that has symbolized “power running” like the Steelers have line up in 3-4 WR sets and put up gaudy passing statistics, you know that it is becoming more of the norm. The Colts have had the most consistently great offense in the NFL for this entire decade and they run a lot of their plays in shotgun with three wide receivers and Dallas Clark lined up more as a slot receiver than as a typical TE. Tight Ends are no longer being used as blockers; rather they are being moved all over the field to create mismatches. As Bill Parcells mentioned last year the FB position, likewise, is seeing a decline in relevance. The fact of the matter is teams would rather put an extra receiver in rather than the plodding 250-lbs. sledgehammer. The few fullbacks that do make the field are typically oversized running backs that excels in catching passes out of the backfield. This offensive revolution has changed the dynamics of the game and that is why you are seeing passing statistics being annihilated at the pace that it has.

My thoughts on... W7

Wild, Wild, (AFC) West

What was once the class of the league’s divisions the AFC West is very much a quagmire that I don’t think anyone knows how it will play out.

Most people thought the Chiefs were going to be one of the worst teams in football prior to the season, yet, sure enough half way through the season they are at the top of the division. They have accomplished it by winning in Herm Edwards style; see the 12-10 win over Oakland, 13-10 win over Minnesota.

Meanwhile the Broncos stayed in the hunt with a gutsy win over a heavily favored Pittsburgh Steelers team. Jay Cutler to Brandon Marshall should be a scary combination for years to come, but Cutler is making a lot of the same mistakes that quarterbacks with similar play styles to him have made in the past. I am not sure that he has defense to bail him out when he tries to sling it all over the field. It was comforting to see DJ Williams have a wonderful performance, though.

The San Diego Chargers are my favorites to win this division. After a dreadful start they put together two impressive wins in a row. The O-Line is finally gelling, Tomlinson is getting holes, and the defense is back to relentlessly attacking opposing quarterbacks. Their schedule was formidable, and they will certainly benefit from softer teams that they will face from here on out, except for a tough back to back match up with the Colts and Jaguars. If they can split those two I think they will finish 11-5 and end up with the 3 or 4 seed in the AFC.

End of the Road….

For the Philadelphia Eagles’ playoff chances. This is a team in transition and could really look different this time next year. Donovan McNabb’s future is bleak, to say the least. Both sides are putting up respectable facades that say otherwise; I just don’t believe that McNabb has a future in Philadelphia. Not to mention Andy Reid’s personal issues could drive him away from the city of brotherly love. The way they lost that game against the Bears has to be deflating.

What’s worse is the team’s recent draft maneuvers have not paid dividends:

‘05

Reggie Brown, Mike Patterson, Matt McCoy, Ryan Moats

‘06

Broderick Bunkley, Winston Justice, Chris Gocong

‘07

Kevin Kolb, Victor Abiamiri, Stewart Bradley, Tony Hunt

Is it really any coincidence that the team has fallen off? While I never expect a rookie class to make impacts on a team loaded with veterans, it is still disconcerting that the Eagles’ 2nd and 3rd year players are not making an impact on the team.

MNF Analysis

I really thought the Jaguars had a good chance to win this game, once David Garrard went down that chance evaporated. You cannot beat the Colts without having your team get a few breaks and play solid football. The defense kept them in the game, but with Quinn Gray unable to generate anything against a surprisingly formidable Colts defense, it was not enough. Now the Colts and Patriots are on a collision course. Of course all of you know that since ESPN makes sure to mention literally all the time. More irritating is Tony Kornheiser being a total hypocrite: “The Colts are flying under the radar! No one talks about them because of the Patriots; no one talks about Manning because of Tom Brady!” when he himself contributes to that by constantly referring to the impending showdown between the two teams and the two quarterbacks.

My thoughts on… the draft

Where Is the #1 Overall Pick?

I’ve been trying to start my first mock, and admittedly I am having a difficult time figuring out who will go at the top. Right now, in my current estimation, there seems to be no candidate worthy of the top. Worst of all, the teams at the top are not in desperate need of a QB: Miami and St Louis are at the bottom right now and I am pretty sure they are stuck with John Beck and Marc Bulger as their starters for the future. Darren McFadden and Glenn Dorsey are both great players, but their positions just do not justify the pick. Jake Long is good, but I am not even sure he’s the best OT, let alone the #1 overall pick. It’s still early though, so there is a lot that will come out between now and the actual event. For someone like me, watching my team struggle, the draft can’t come soon enough.

A Player I Like

Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC. Every time I have seen him play he’s jumped off the screen and caught my attention. That is surprising, because I am usually looking at a few of the glitzier prospects like Rey Maluaga, Keith Rivers, Lawrence Jackson. For his size he has tremendous strength and push. I know everyone loves Glenn Dorsey, and for good reason, but I think the team that gets Sedrick Ellis will be just as happy as the team that took Dorsey five picks earlier.

My thoughts…. hodgepodge!

I cannot tell which Lions team will show up on any given week. They are either winning, or getting eviscerated by their opponents. I do think that getting Kevin Jones back will help a lot. Maybe my pick of them to make the playoffs in the NFC was not so bad after all?

Byron Leftwich has been a good QB when he is on the field. It’s a shame that all of his ability will have been wasted due to constant injuries. He justified Bobby Petrino’s decision to start him and was playing exceptionally well, but once his ankle got hit and he’ll miss another three to four weeks. The Falcons lose again; with one of the few bright sides to the season is the Pro-Bowl caliber season that has been put on by Roddy White.

What happened to Jason Campbell this week? I really have no clue. Is that the same Cardinals secondary that was lit up by Vinny Testaverde the week before? Washington got the, albeit ugly, win. Still it is disconcerting to see the passing offense sputtering. Santana Moss has been a play-maker in two seasons, but other than that he really hasn’t done anything note worthy.

While the Ravens have had all sorts of difficulty at the QB position, people are missing out on just how consistently good Willis McGahee have been. Willis is having his best season as a pro; 639 yards, 4.4 YPC. All while he is the focal point of the offense. I should also mention that the Ravens’ O-Line has seen a lot of changes and they haven’t been able to establish continuity.

Sean Taylor is finally showing why he was taken #5 overall in a loaded draft class. He has always had ‘never seen at his position’ physical tools. Now he has matured as a person and honed his mental game to match. He has an interception in four consecutive games. Last year he often blew coverage assignments and gave up the most touchdowns of any DB. Now he is breaking pass plays up on the best secondary in football.

I think it is safe to say that the Minnesota Vikings’ 2nd round in ’06 was a complete and utter failure. They reached not once, but twice, on project players that have not panned out. They draft a center and try and convert him to RT, of said prospect most people had him pegged as a 4-5 round guy, and he has been awful. What’s worse is their next 2nd round pick; Tarvaris Jackson. Not only did they reach on him, but they traded up to do so. Why they thought that a QB who could only complete 56% of his passes at AlabamaState could be their QB of the future I will never understand. The initial draft of a new coaching staff is crucial if that regime is going to have success and it is clear to me that Minnesota failed in that regard.

bearsfan_51
10-22-2007, 11:05 PM
If there was a team at #1 that needed a runninback you could justify McFadden. AD is showing what a special back will get you, and considering it's a position that touches the football 30 times a game and I don't buy that it's undervalued.

Plus the ZBS is really starting to come to an end. It's being exposed for what it is.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I would like to add that Steve Young is dead on in his criticism of ESPN and other media outlets hyping the Colts-Patriots games. You might as well make the rest of the NFL irrelevant.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
If there was a team at #1 that needed a runninback you could justify McFadden. AD is showing what a special back will get you, and considering it's a position that touches the football 30 times a game and I don't buy that it's undervalued.

Plus the ZBS is really starting to come to an end. It's being exposed for what it is.

I think Denver's struggles have shown that it isn't just "the scheme." The Broncos of the 90s and 00s had a great O-Line and did special things with Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis. It looks like Tom Nalen's career is coming to an end and their O-Line's quality is just not of the same caliber as it once was.

I know quite a few people credited Atlanta's dominant rushing attack to the scheme, when in actuality it was solely due to Michael Vick's impact on defenses. Green Bay has had no running game despite having the same cut blocking scheme that Denver has used. So I definitely agree with you that the Alex Gibbs' system is going extinct.

The Unseen
10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
The defense kept them in the game,

I heartily disagree. The defense kept them out of the game, and Quinn Gray added insult to injury (quite literally). They let the Colts eat clock and play to their defense.

JK17
10-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I think one of the most impressive things about the week was the Broncos was win, like you touched on. They weren't supposed to win that game, and I didn't give them a shot in hell, but now the AFC West is so tough to call. The Chiefs are in the lead right now and keep winning when most, including myself feel they are overachieving for a very medicore, if that, team. Yet their still in first. Then the Broncos look god awful, but out of nowhere beat an arguably top five team in Pittsburgh. The Chargers finally look like they are back on track, but with Norv at the helm it could just be a ticking bomb until things go wrong.

Three teams are now competitive in it again, like last year...the only difference is this year, they're competitive because they all suck.

SFbear
10-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Clearly not enough conversation about Brian Griese. BGisaGod.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
The ZBS is fine, it's just not a magic system.

Read the commentary here (mainly what Mike Tanier says) about the Cover 2 in the MIN/DAL game and apply it to the ZBS: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/10/22/ramblings/audibles/5638/

Also, I'm sure everyone is sick of Pats/Colts talk...but am I the only person getting a '98 Vikes/Falcons vibe from it?

Ward
10-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Has anyone before me made the Tarvaris Jackson - Quincy Carter comparison yet? Because if not, I'd like to go on record as having compared the two.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
i don't buy that "the scheme" is dead anymore than the power running (or whatever other scheme you want to mention) is dead just because Team X got old, injured or just plain didn't have the same talent. it's like suggesting the run n shoot was a worthless offense just because rodney peete couldn't run it, without taking into account that warren moon ran it just fine (at least in the regular season).

I think what he was saying is that the ZBS is exposed in that it isn't some miraculous scheme that you can "plug in anyone and get 1,000 yards" as we have all heard repeated hundreds of times over the years.

bearsfan_51
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Has anyone before me made the Tarvaris Jackson - Quincy Carter comparison yet? Because if not, I'd like to go on record as having compared the two.

I'm not being flippant here, but Quincy Carter is much better than Tarvaris Jackson.

Even by rookie QB standards Jackson has been terrible this year.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Tarvaris Jackson is showing that drafting solely on physical tools and trying to 'coach him up' is not a good approach. I think Childress will pay for that decision with his job.

yodabear
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
The Rams really suck.

bearsfan_51
10-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Tarvaris Jackson is showing that drafting solely on physical tools and trying to 'coach him up' is not a good approach. I think Childress will pay for that decision with his job.
What about Devin Hester?

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:50 PM
if that's the case, absolutely. schizophrenic batman said sort of the same thing: i think as a fan, if you EVER believe some "system" is a magic bullet, you need to have your reality checked. as soon as coaches have a chance to find holes, or the players that amde it effective get old, ANY scheme will deteriorate. at least, any scheme worth running.

Unfortunately it seems like NFL organizations believe that. I say that considering that as soon as one philosophy prospers, a dozen imitators show up. Now the "Tampa 2" defensive scheme is new sensation.

Shiver
10-22-2007, 11:52 PM
there's sort of a vast gulf between KR (which is ALL athleticism and thus requires no coaching up) and QB.

Exactly what I was about to reply with.

bearsfan_51
there's sort of a vast gulf between KR (which is ALL athleticism and thus requires no coaching up) and QB.

Hester is breaking out at WR. Granted he lines up in the wrong spot about 10% of the time, but you can see the progress on a daily basis. He could very well end up being a fulltime starter by next year.

Nitschke-Hawk
Love many things about the way the Jaguars are built but they need more speed from receivers and another big time player on defense.

diabsoule
10-23-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm really hoping that if the Saints manage to pick in the top 10 that they will and either Dorsey or Ellis.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Hester is breaking out at WR. Granted he lines up in the wrong spot about 10% of the time, but you can see the progress on a daily basis. He could very well end up being a fulltime starter by next year.

Even so he still is predominantly used on screens or vertical routes. He is showing nice progress, but the difference between what he's doing and what a QB needs to do is tremendous.

soybean
10-23-2007, 12:50 AM
I always thought that marc bulger was a mistake from the get go. Im not a fan of "statistical" qbs. Sure he didn't have much to work with, but great qbs find a way to win. Now they spent all this money and are stuck with him.

The rams need an extreme makeover and they have valuable trade options in sjax, holt, and bulger.

the way to get good soon is to get really bad really fast.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Love many things about the way the Jaguars are built but they need more speed from receivers and another big time player on defense.

I laughed hysterically when they took Matt Jones over Mark Clayton and Roddy White. Sure enough that was a laugh worthy draft pick. They could have certainly used either of the guys I mentioned on this team.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I laughed hysterically when they took Matt Jones over Mark Clayton and Roddy White. Sure enough that was a laugh worthy draft pick. They could have certainly used either of the guys I mentioned on this team.

Yea I never understood the facisnation about having 3 wrs who are all pretty much the same, dont provide any deep threat or speed at all, and they expected all 3 to see the field at the same time? something had to give, even if jones did pan out

d34ng3l021
10-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah. Tell em more about how beastly Roddy White has been.

Geo
10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Brodrick Bunkley has been poor? Are you sure about that, Shiver? I haven't seen every snap by Bunkley, but what I have seen, he's been an excellent addition to the team as a full-time starter. Not a coincidence that their run defense is much improved from last year, I think. Maybe some Eagles fans can chime in to verify.

Also, I don't think many realize how well fellow 2006 1st round defensive tackle John McCargo is playing. Thus far in the season, he's been the Buffalo Bills' best defensive lineman and has improved the play from the interior from a season ago.

I've thought this for some time and have voiced it more than once I'm sure, Brad Childress needs to get Chad Pennington this offseason to save his job. Even if Childress gets the Vikings to .500 this season, which isn't a guarantee, he's on as hot a seat as there will be in 2008 and will need a veteran quarterback to save his skin in what could be his only shot at a head coaching job. See Jon Gruden and Jeff Garcia for a great example at the moment, the position is too critical with the league as it is now.

Or the immortal Jim Sorgi, of course. Kidding (?) aside, is there another veteran for Childress or other coaches to target other than Pennington (in a trade)? Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Well, Daunte Culpepper will be available, if anyone is interested - Childress won't be one of them.

Wait, isn't Derek Anderson a restricted free agent? Wow, he's going to be the jewel in some coaches' eyes this offseason if he continues to play well. The Browns have Brady Quinn waiting in the wings anyways, sort of like how the Bengals transitioned from Jon Kitna to Carson Palmer, although the Bengals didn't trade Kitna for some valuable draft picks. The Browns very well could.

Also probably repeating myself here, but Shack Harris' job in the 1st round hasn't been stellar. He's made some very good picks in the later rounds though, and of course he inherited the two studs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, that's saved his job.

Addict
10-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Pats v. Colts is gonna be a huge game, bigger than Pats - Cowboys. I'm very impressed by the Pats in general (not only because of Brady/Moss/Welker) but also their defense and special teams looking very solid this may be the most balanced team in the league.

While v. Colts, I think it comes down to balance and while offensively they're about matched (think of it: strong lines, great QB, great recieving staff, #1 back out) I think the Pats beat the Colts soleley based on their better defense and special teams. The only thing I don't really look forward to is the hype.

And it's good for Brady to finally put up some gaudy numbers, he's been mr. Clutch and a great leader and, IMO, the best QB in the league for some time now(I firmly believe Peyton wouldn't look quite so good without Harrison, Wayne and Clarke). The only problem was that where Peyton got spoiled with receivers and great linework Brady hasn't had that consistently, especially his receiving corps hasn't always been good. Essentially, now he has receivers to match is skill, we finally see the real Tom Brady.

Dam8610
10-23-2007, 02:38 AM
While v. Colts, I think it comes down to balance and while offensively they're about matched (think of it: strong lines, great QB, great recieving staff, #1 back out) I think the Pats beat the Colts soleley based on their better defense and special teams. The only thing I don't really look forward to is the hype.

Wait a second, I'm having a hard time grasping this logic, so let me see if I have it: the Colts have allowed fewer points per game to better competition, but the Patriots have the better defense. Have I captured your thought correctly?

Don Vito
10-23-2007, 02:48 AM
God the stats do not mean everything. Colts have the #3 D and we have the #4 according to the "stats". Most of NE's defensive starters are usually out between halftime and midway through the third quarter aside from the Dallas game. We were beating the Dolphins 42-7 in the beginning of the 4th quarter and by the time the 4th rolled around the Patriots had mostly 2nd and 3rd string defenders in there.

The Colts have a good defense but it is ridiculous to say the Colts have a better defense than New England because of PPG. I will agree the Colts have a better defense if you beat us in 2 weeks, but saying Indy's defense is better than NE's is or NE's is better than Indy's is without substance until they play.

Addict
10-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Wait a second, I'm having a hard time grasping this logic, so let me see if I have it: the Colts have allowed fewer points per game to better competition, but the Patriots have the better defense. Have I captured your thought correctly?

Better opponents?

Pats have played:
jets - not much offensively
chargers - at this point LT was running nowhere, so not much
bills - no need to explain
bengals - altough they haven't done much, an offense with a lot of weapons
browns - if it were up to the browns offense they'd be a top team.
cowboys - powerhouse
dolphins - played very well, although they got more than they should have

Colts played:
saints - offensively haven't done squat
titans - they manage to win games, but no great offense either
texans - at this point without A. Johnson, not really a powerhouse
broncos - haven't done much offensively either
bucs - no running game, although Garcia is pretty good this year
jags - garrard and MJD went down, so not much here either

brat316
10-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Shiver me timbers

I think that Bunkley is making more of an impact than Patterson. Gocong this is his rookie year, and he is playing Lb not DE anymore. I think they will pan out. Brown on the other hand, just demote him to 3 or 4th WR, already.

Steelers want to run more of an open Offense with Ariens, so they can have Willie run past the Dbs that come on the field. I guess the spread offense is making its why to the nfl.

BlindSite
10-23-2007, 03:16 AM

I think its always a case of need vs the talent there if a team like for arguments sake Miami or St Louis took McFadden, they'd obviously be throwing away a draft pick imo as they've already got a solid back.

Fact is not a lot of teams are lacking at the RB position and that's why a lot of the time the RB's see a slide rather than get picked up earlier than you think.

Reggie Bush being taken when a team already has a duce McAllister realistically is the exception, not the rule.

I think its more a case of, the players' who made it the in vogue style careers are coming to an end, then there being anything wrong with the scheme.

I think what he was saying is that the ZBS is exposed in that it isn't some miraculous scheme that you can "plug in anyone and get 1,000 yards" as we have all heard repeated hundreds of times over the years.

Well, not long ago in Denver that was the case. Portis is a huge talent no doubt but he was a great talent in an amazing system. Following his leaving for washington the broncos had guys like Quentin Griffin, Rueben Droughns and more recently Tatum Bell and ron dayne make a name for themselves. None of those guys are anything at all talent wise and they all put up great stats in denver.

Carolina this year has improved their running game ten fold from last year. There's a massive improvement simply by changing systems, the personnel is still largely the same.

The system like every system in the NFL is perfect. All offensive and defensive plays, are perfect. In theory, its the personnel and execution that are often imperfect.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Brodrick Bunkley has been poor? Are you sure about that, Shiver? I haven't seen every snap by Bunkley, but what I have seen, he's been an excellent addition to the team as a full-time starter. Not a coincidence that their run defense is much improved from last year, I think. Maybe some Eagles fans can chime in to verify.

I wouldn't say he has played poorly. I just don't think he's produced as much as they would have hoped. Surely he hasn't had the kind of impact that fellow '06 draftee Haloti Ngata has had in Baltimore.

Also, I don't think many realize how well fellow 2006 1st round defensive tackle John McCargo is playing. Thus far in the season, he's been the Buffalo Bills' best defensive lineman and has improved the play from the interior from a season ago.Ah, John McCargo. Poor guy was the pariah that ESPN used to make a big deal about when he was taken, likely just to have something to have controversy about.

I've thought this for some time and have voiced it more than once I'm sure, Brad Childress needs to get Chad Pennington this offseason to save his job. Even if Childress gets the Vikings to .500 this season, which isn't a guarantee, he's on as hot a seat as there will be in 2008 and will need a veteran quarterback to save his skin in what could be his only shot at a head coaching job. See Jon Gruden and Jeff Garcia for a great example at the moment, the position is too critical with the league as it is now.

Or the immortal Jim Sorgi, of course. Kidding (?) aside, is there another veteran for Childress or other coaches to target other than Pennington (in a trade)? Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Well, Daunte Culpepper will be available, if anyone is interested - Childress won't be one of them.

Wait, isn't Derek Anderson a restricted free agent? Wow, he's going to be the jewel in some coaches' eyes this offseason if he continues to play well. The Browns have Brady Quinn waiting in the wings anyways, sort of like how the Bengals transitioned from Jon Kitna to Carson Palmer, although the Bengals didn't trade Kitna for some valuable draft picks. The Browns very well could.Derek Anderson is someone I thought of when I looked at potential Falcons a year from now. He's tempting, but he certainly has been put in a capable offensive situation.

As for the Vikings, Childress may look towards a veteran. However he has already wasted time by trying to develop Jackson, time he certainly does not possess. I am not so sure a Derek Anderson or Chad Pennington could elevate the Vikings' passing attack either. Pennington hasn't been able to get the job done and he has much better receivers than anyone that Minnesota has. They have a running game and a good left side of the O-Line, that's about it.

Also probably repeating myself here, but Shack Harris' job in the 1st round hasn't been stellar. He's made some very good picks in the later rounds though, and of course he inherited the two studs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, that's saved his job.I wonder how much longer Shack Harris will be the GM. It seems that whenever you have a power struggle (Leftwich vs. Garrard) that either the GM or the HC has to go. Will they fire Harris or will they use Jack Del Rio as the scapegoat if the team doesn't finish well?

BlindSite
10-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Don't forget though Culpepper is a free man at the end of the year and I dunno if he'd be welcome or want to go back to minnesota but its food for thought.

Also, McNabb might not be an eagle too much longer, something is fishy in philly and Minnesota would be a nice fit.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Both the "reaches" Buffalo made in that draft are paying pretty large dividends while some teams who took "value" picks are sitting on busts or average players right now. I was a Whitner supporter from day one, but McCargo anchoring the Bills line is pretty surprising, and I go to NC State

neko4
10-23-2007, 04:51 AM
I know somewhere on this site i said, Carlos Rodgers would become a good #1 CB, Smoot was gonna solidify the secondary, and Taylor was gonna be beast.

The Unseen
10-23-2007, 06:21 AM
jags - garrard and MJD went down, so not much here either

Weird that I'm defending the Colts here, but MJD went down with a couple minutes left and the game well out of hand. Garrard maybe, but the way the defense was playing it might not have mattered.

sodar21
10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
I know somewhere on this site i said, Carlos Rodgers would become a good #1 CB, Smoot was gonna solidify the secondary, and Taylor was gonna be beast.

Isn't Springs the #1 CB?

ironman4579
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Yea I never understood the facisnation about having 3 wrs who are all pretty much the same, dont provide any deep threat or speed at all, and they expected all 3 to see the field at the same time? something had to give, even if jones did pan out

You've got to be referring to another Jones, because there's no way you could be saying Matt Jones has panned out so far.

Twiddler
10-23-2007, 09:43 AM
You've got to be referring to another Jones, because there's no way you could be saying Matt Jones has panned out so far.

I think he is meaning that even if Jones were to pan out, saying that he hasn't so far which is obvious. Also did anyone else like that remark by one of the announcers when they were talking about Jones was growing a beard until he caught a touchdown pass? And that they stated he was going to be "looking like ZZTop if he keeps up with that". I loved it.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I think Denver's struggles have shown that it isn't just "the scheme." The Broncos of the 90s and 00s had a great O-Line and did special things with Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis. It looks like Tom Nalen's career is coming to an end and their O-Line's quality is just not of the same caliber as it once was.

I know quite a few people credited Atlanta's dominant rushing attack to the scheme, when in actuality it was solely due to Michael Vick's impact on defenses. Green Bay has had no running game despite having the same cut blocking scheme that Denver has used. So I definitely agree with you that the Alex Gibbs' system is going extinct.

I agree with this completely. The Denver OL was amazing, and TD and CP were(and in CPs case, still are) amazing backs. What was left of it the last few years with guys like Anderson, and the Bells was a very solid running game. But it was not dominant the way it was with Portis and TD. This year, we have Henry, who is a very solid running back(if he didnt get suspended, this would be his third team, and fourth year with 1200+ yards), and obviously the running game has improved from last year.

ironman4579
10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I think he is meaning that even if Jones were to pan out, saying that he hasn't so far which is obvious. Also did anyone else like that remark by one of the announcers when they were talking about Jones was growing a beard until he caught a touchdown pass? And that they stated he was going to be "looking like ZZTop if he keeps up with that". I loved it.

That would make so much more sense. Now that I look at it again, I could see both meanings.

Jughead10
10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Anyone else think the Jags are overrated? Great punishing defense, but they will never win anything with that QB play. Even with Garrard in. He still isn't good enough to win a big game. And the defense, while great, isn't on the level of the 2000 Ravens where Garrard can just take the wheel and hold on for the ride. I fell into the trap of them too. Took them +3, should have known better.

Addict
10-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Weird that I'm defending the Colts here, but MJD went down with a couple minutes left and the game well out of hand. Garrard maybe, but the way the defense was playing it might not have mattered.

oh I got to GameCenter pretty late when he was already down, so I wasn't sure, well forget that point than.

And it's really hard to tell of course, but I think Garrard would have made a significant difference. I think they wouldn't have won the game, but they'd have gotten some more yards and points for sure.

Twiddler
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Anyone else think the Jags are overrated? Great punishing defense, but they will never win anything with that QB play. Even with Garrard in. He still isn't good enough to win a big game. And the defense, while great, isn't on the level of the 2000 Ravens where Garrard can just take the wheel and hold on for the ride. I fell into the trap of them too. Took them +3, should have known better.

They might be a tad overrated but not much. Indy is just a better team in many areas especially when you see their defense performing well. And like Addict said, I think that Garrard would have made a big difference, in both the play and the demeanor of that offense. Gray just couldn't get it done in many areas ranging from having the confidence lead a successful offense to having any accuracy on throws whatsoever.

Jughead10
10-23-2007, 10:17 AM
They might be a tad overrated but not much. Indy is just a better team in many areas especially when you see their defense performing well. And like Addict said, I think that Garrard would have made a big difference, in both the play and the demeanor of that offense. Gray just couldn't get it done in many areas ranging from having the confidence lead a successful offense to having any accuracy on throws whatsoever.

I dunno. Between their QB play even with Garrard, and the putrid state of their WRs, I don't think the Jags are good enough to make any kind of serious run. I wouldn't be surpised if Tennesee eventually firmly grabs hold of that number 2 spot in the South behind Indy.

Twiddler
10-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I dunno. Between their QB play even with Garrard, and the putrid state of their WRs, I don't think the Jags are good enough to make any kind of serious run. I wouldn't be surpised if Tennesee eventually firmly grabs hold of that number 2 spot in the South behind Indy.

True, their WR's are pretty bad. So I guess when factoring that in they may need a few breaks for Garrard to keep playing like he has been. And I don't think that they can make a serious run, especially when thinking of the AFC in general but I do think they can make the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with pretty much everything. I like the new format.

Mangini should do us all a favor and trade Vilma to the Giants for a 2nd round pick :) Seriously, he'll never work in a 2 gap 3-4. Call me up Eric. We'll work out the details.

AlexDown
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
You forgot your weekly Pennington mention. Wonder why.....

Great write up as always though.

Iamcanadian
10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I would like to add that Steve Young is dead on in his criticism of ESPN and other media outlets hyping the Colts-Patriots games. You might as well make the rest of the NFL irrelevant.

The rest of the NFL is irrelevant. It is going to be a 2 team race while these 2 guys, Payton and Brady are in their prime. Cincy might be able to challenge them if they could get a much better defense but right now nobody is capable of beating these 2 teams in a crucial game. Yes, they will both lose a game or 2 because they simply cannot get up for a weak opponent but come the playoffs and it is all over.

MaxV
10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
The rest of the NFL is irrelevant. It is going to be a 2 team race while these 2 guys, Payton and Brady are in their prime. Cincy might be able to challenge them if they could get a much better defense but right now nobody is capable of beating these 2 teams in a crucial game. Yes, they will both lose a game or 2 because they simply cannot get up for a weak opponent but come the playoffs and it is all over.

I still think the Steelers are dangerous.

Off-course they would need better play from their D then what they showed against Denver.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not too sure how this new format makes me feel.

I'll get back to you.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Mangini should do us all a favor and trade Vilma to the Giants for a 2nd round pick :) Seriously, he'll never work in a 2 gap 3-4. Call me up Eric. We'll work out the details.

You keep your hands you greedy, bastard. Loomis get on those phones ASAP.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
You keep your hands you greedy, bastard. Loomis get on those phones ASAP.

Loomis is on Bourbon street having a magarita right now. Muhahahha. Snooze you lose.

Addict
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM

he could come to detroit too! Our 2nd rounder is worth more!

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
he could come to detroit too! Our 2nd rounder is worth more!

he wants to stay in NY :)

i hope =/

Honestly, Id trade Pierce for Vilma in a heartbeat if they'd consider it. And I like Pierce.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Loomis is on Bourbon street having a magarita right now. Muhahahha. Snooze you lose.

You big meanie. :(

Geo
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Honestly, Id trade Pierce for Vilma in a heartbeat if they'd consider it. And I like Pierce.
I trust you mean Pierce and a 2nd round pick, right? It doesn't matter anyways, Polian should trade for Vilma and bring him to Indianapolis.

I read somewhere that the Jets started the second half of the Bengals game with Vilma on the bench. Mangenie-in-a-bottle said they had some "rotation" planned, wtf?

FREE VILMA imo

Jughead10
10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I trust you mean Pierce and a 2nd round pick, right? It doesn't matter anyways, Polian should trade for Vilma and bring him to Indianapolis.

I read somewhere that the Jets started the second half of the Bengals game with Vilma on the bench. Mangenie-in-a-bottle said they had some "rotation" planned, wtf?

FREE VILMA imo

We'd want to play Vilma at WLB.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:43 AM

FREE VILMA imo

No, I can't give that much up. Because we still have holes in the 2ndary. We still need a longterm CB, SS, maybe FS, and we definately need a WILL.

Id either trade a 2nd to them for Vilma, Pierce for Vilma, or Id even consider a 1st for Vilma.

Right now the way i look at it, the Giants are gonna draft the best available WILL or CB in the first round. If Vilma exceeds the value of either best available at each position, why not give up our 1st for Vilma? He can play WILL for us.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Haha, I like how everyone is wanting to trade for Vilma. Back off, bitches. He's most needed here. Greedy, I tell ya.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Haha, I like how everyone is wanting to trade for Vilma. Back off, bitches. He's most needed here. Greedy, I tell ya.

Lol, chances are Payton would trade for another WR before he gets a linebacker.

Ewing
10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll give you the Titans first round pick and LenDale White for Jonathan Vilma.

Geo
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The Saints really are an ideal suitor, if the Jets are willing to move Vilma.

Ewing
10-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Yeah but the Saints have that Vegeta guy.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Lol, chances are Payton would trade for another WR before he gets a linebacker.

I'm going to punch you in the face, funny guy. In the face, I say.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah but the Saints have that Vegeta guy.

Fujita plays OLB, Vilma could play MLB. All ideal thinking, but still.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm going to punch you in the face, funny guy. In the face, I say.

lol. in all seriousness though, isn't CB more of a need right now opposed to LB?

Addict
10-23-2007, 12:05 PM

the Lions are ideal-er.

CannedToast
10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
God, I hate being a Jets fan now. Mangini is a good coach, but he pisses me off a lot. I'm so conflicted.

Flyboy
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
lol. in all seriousness though, isn't CB more of a need right now opposed to LB?

It's hard to say. Mike McKenzie has played extremely well this season so far -- definitely the best player in our secondary. Both are really "needs", but I think upgrading the DT position with a major upgrade (Sedrick Ellis, I'm talking to YOU) would help both the LB/CB position look much better. Not to mention Gary Gibbs has stopped playing conservative defense and bringing pressure using Roman Harper & Josh Bullocks which has helped our defense greatly thus far.

Addict
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM

i hope =/

yea but c'mon Vilma is a huge talent going to waste with the Jets.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 12:21 PM

I know. Thats why he needs to come to the Giants :)

Im hoping and begging the football gods that Kiwi can work at SAM rushbacker like Julian Peterson for the Seahawks. If thats the case, our front 7 would be ridiculous for years to come with Tuck, Osi and Kiw.

All we need is a big NT (Albert Haynesworth ftw) and a speedy WILL (Vilma ftw) and we'll have the best front 7 in football IF (big if) Kiwi can develop at SAM.

yodabear
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
My week 7 thoughts:

The Colts and Pats are really, really good. The Rams and Phins are downright awful. There is more, but I have ADD, and can't pay attention long enough to have a write up.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
My week 7 thoughts:

The Colts and Pats are really, really good. The Rams and Phins are downright awful. There is more, but I have ADD, and can't pay attention long enough to have a write up.

who do you guys want with the first pick in the draft?

yodabear
10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
who do you guys want with the first pick in the draft?

IDK, It will depend on who our new head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, GM, owner, and towel boy think.

MaxV
10-23-2007, 01:00 PM
IDK, It will depend on who our new head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, GM, owner, and towel boy think.

You should apply for that job. Perhaps your hiring will turn them around.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM

The Jaguars are stuck right behind the top teams in the AFC. They are good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to get a home game and win. I like their new OC, their running backs, their O-Line. If they could address the WR and QB positions they would be great. I think they should have taken Brady Quinn last year, but Shack Harris defied Jack Del Rio and decided against it.

You forgot your weekly Pennington mention. Wonder why.....

Great write up as always though.

Oh, he will still get benched. That last throw is all I need to mention.

i hope =/

I find that kind of surprising because Pierce seems like he's right up your alley. Strong, but plays with great intelligence.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
The Jaguars are stuck right behind the top teams in the AFC. They are good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to get a home game and win. I like their new OC, their running backs, their O-Line. If they could address the WR and QB positions they would be great. I think they should have taken Brady Quinn last year, but Shack Harris defied Jack Del Rio and decided against it.

Oh, he will still get benched. That last throw is all I need to mention.

I find that kind of surprising because Pierce seems like he's right up your alley. Strong, but plays with great intelligence.

Pierce is great. I love him. But Vilma is from the same mold. He's smart, plays with intelligence, has great leadership, and while he's small, he's a great run stuffer with a big NT in front of him, and is better in coverage. I love big strong ILBs, but theyre a dying breed in the 4-3. Run thumping ILBs are more of a 3-4 thing. Of course youd love to have a guy who can do both, but being big and strong at MIKE is less of a need in a 4-3. Look at Demeco.

If we want to blitz Kiwi from the SAM as much as we want to, its ideal to have a MIKE who can chase the TE down the seam. Vilma would give us that.

In a perfect world we move Vilma to WILL and have both :)

Zim3031
10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Vilma was overrated even when Herm was still in town. Tackles is a fun stat and all, but when they're all 7-8 yards down field, they don't mean anything. He hasn't been anyone that has even closely resembled a play maker since his rookie year.

He actually got benched in the Cincinnati game he was so awful. He gets completely taken out of the play (can't even exaggerate this) whenever a body is anywhere near him. Even when there's 4 linemen in front of him this happens. He can play good pass coverage, but I honestly believe he has been no better than 4th among our linebackers this year, and they suck this year.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Vilma was overrated even when Herm was still in town. Tackles is a fun stat and all, but when they're all 7-8 yards down field, they don't mean anything. He hasn't been anyone that has even closely resembled a play maker since his rookie year.

He actually got benched in the Cincinnati game he was so awful. He gets completely taken out of the play (can't even exaggerate this) whenever a body is anywhere near him. Even when there's 4 linemen in front of him this happens. He can play good pass coverage, but I honestly believe he has been no better than 4th among our linebackers this year, and they suck this year.

I think the problem may be twofold.

1. He simply does not fit this scheme. Plain and simple.

2. He might be a better WILL than a MIKE. If he's your MIKE, you need to do what the 2000 Ravens or current Jaguar team has, and put 2 horses up front that will prevent linemen from getting to him. But at WILL, he can still be very effective in a 4-3 regardless of the scheme in place.

49ersfan_87
10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
My week 7 thoughts? The 49ers offense sucks. Anytime they get some momentum Trent Dilfer just pissed it away with a stupid mental mistake. Hasnt this guy been in the league for 13 years?

Alex Smith needs to come back as soon as possible or the 49ers season is done, because Dilfer is old, fumble prone, and makes too many stupid decisions. The 49ers also need to put Lelie in the gameplan more because Darrell Jackson has been stinking it up this year. The season isnt lost, especially being in the NFC West, but i have little faith in the offense. Too bad our defense is being wasted.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2007, 01:57 PM
My week 7 thoughts? The 49ers offense sucks. Anytime they get some momentum Trent Dilfer just pissed it away with a stupid mental mistake. Hasnt this guy been in the league for 13 years?

Alex Smith needs to come back as soon as possible or the 49ers season is done, because Dilfer is old, fumble prone, and makes too many stupid decisions. The 49ers also need to put Lelie in the gameplan more because Darrell Jackson has been stinking it up this year. The season isnt lost, especially being in the NFC West, but i have little faith in the offense. Too bad our defense is being wasted.

If its any consolation, Nate Clements has done a better job on Plaxico than any CB thus far. 47 yards and no TDs I believe.

Although I don't remember if he was on Burress the whole game or not.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
What is interesting is Jonathan Vilma may be a better fit at WILL, and his college teammate DJ Williams may be a very good MLB. Weird how things play out in the NFL.

Geo
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Vilma would be a dominant 4-3 WLB today, if he played there. DJ still has some ways to go at MLB, and I still think he'd be a superb WLB if he only had the chance.

MaxV
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
What is interesting is Jonathan Vilma may be a better fit at WILL, and his college teammate DJ Williams may be a very good MLB. Weird how things play out in the NFL.

If you mean in a 4-3 system, then I agree, but not at 3-4.

In a 4-3 system, you can put Vilma at any LB spot and he'll play well, in a 3-4 he doesn't really fit anywhere.

mqtirishfan
10-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Tkae back that insult to Quincy.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-23-2007, 03:50 PM

I haven't seen much of him(I never get many Broncos games), but njx has, and he HATES DJ at MLB. He says his first step is always either backwards or sideways. He did look a lot better against Pitt though.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Well the only time I've been able to watch him is the Steelers game and he looked good to me.

Geo
10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I cannot tell which Lions team will show up on any given week. They are either winning, or getting eviscerated by their opponents. I do think that getting Kevin Jones back will help a lot. Maybe my pick of them to make the playoffs in the NFC was not so bad after all?
I'm sure if you looked at the Lions defense at home versus on the road, it's night and day and the statistics completely bear it out. I'm certain of it, especially turnovers.

The Lions are still a bad road team (their road win was at Oakland in Week 1), but at least they're playing much better at home under Marinelli this season. One step at a time.

Shiver
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
8-8 for the Lions is a miracle in and of itself.

P-L
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
7-9 would be a success.

BlindSite
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM

He's a great young linebacker but I'd love to see him behind two great defensive tackles.

Instead he's behind three average downlinemen and he gets swallowed. I don't know though, and I'll get slammed for saying this, but I think a lot of it is poor coaching and execution on his part.

Patrick Willis hasn't had any problems playing in a 3-4 after coming from a 43 and playing behind a far worse line.

Ray Lewis was dominant as well.

Vilma is a great linebacker I agree, but if other players can do it, why can't he?

MaxV
10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
He's a great young linebacker but I'd love to see him behind two great defensive tackles.

Instead he's behind three average downlinemen and he gets swallowed. I don't know though, and I'll get slammed for saying this, but I think a lot of it is poor coaching and execution on his part.

Patrick Willis hasn't had any problems playing in a 3-4 after coming from a 43 and playing behind a far worse line.

Ray Lewis was dominant as well.

Vilma is a great linebacker I agree, but if other players can do it, why can't he?

You answered your own question, the DLs aren't helping him.

I honestly believe that Jets' D would've been MUCH better if they would be running a 4-3 system.

McBain
10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
cowboys - powerhouse

how is a team that narrowly defeats the bills and barely beats the vikings all while getting handled by the patriots a powerhouse. Over-rated (clap clap clap clap clap)

Zim3031
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM

I honestly believe that Jets' D would've been MUCH better if they would be running a 4-3 system.
Replacing a bad linebacker with a bad defensive tackle wouldn't have done much. Vilma still would've been awful unless Stroud and Henderson were out in front of him. In 2005, he was in the 4-3 but was playing pretty much the same as he is now; completely blown off of the line and making all of his tackles 8 yards down field. We still couldn't have stopped the run and we still wouldn't have anyone capable of rushing the passer. The personnel may have fit a little better, but our defense would still be bottom 10 easily.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2007, 06:55 PM
I know you didnt mention it Shiver, but since its in the air this week I just wanted to address it...I wish people would stop pointing the finger at Chad Johnson, from every interview I see of him the man just wants to win, and has a passion for winning...He doesnt strike me as a guy who wants to pad his stats, he wants to win more then anything, and he gets upset when they are losing...Him and Carson seem like they have a good relationship regardless of any arguments, and I think its terrible that Marvin Lewis is letting that defense play the way it is, but people are trying to get Chad out of town...for a Defensive minded head coach to have his defense playing the way it is and losing them games, but he stays and chad goes?? Thats not right

Shiver
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I know you didnt mention it Shiver, but since its in the air this week I just wanted to address it...I wish people would stop pointing the finger at Chad Johnson, from every interview I see of him the man just wants to win, and has a passion for winning...He doesnt strike me as a guy who wants to pad his stats, he wants to win more then anything, and he gets upset when they are losing...Him and Carson seem like they have a good relationship regardless of any arguments, and I think its terrible that Marvin Lewis is letting that defense play the way it is, but people are trying to get Chad out of town...for a Defensive minded head coach to have his defense playing the way it is and losing them games, but he stays and chad goes?? Thats not right

The interview between him and Keyshawn was great.

49ersfan_87
10-24-2007, 01:47 AM
If its any consolation, Nate Clements has done a better job on Plaxico than any CB thus far. 47 yards and no TDs I believe.

Although I don't remember if he was on Burress the whole game or not.

Yeah, Clements has played pretty well this season. The only bad game he had was against seattle, when Deion Branch had 7 catches for 130 yards. But hes been worth his contract.

BlindSite
10-24-2007, 02:06 AM

I don't know that I did, see even though he doesn't have great DT's neither does Willis.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know that I did, see even though he doesn't have great DT's neither does Willis.

a) vilma isn't built for a 2 gap 3-4 at all, even if he did attack the los more he'd just get driven back, as he lacks the size and strength to take on blockers.

b) the guys you mention both struggled/are struggling in the scheme, until the ravens built up their slime ray ray wasn't as dominant as he should've been and expressed his dislike of the scheme, and while willis had 11 tackles against the giants he didn't really make an impact as many of the tackles came 5-7 yards up the field. And i can only assume the rest of the season has been the same.