PDA

View Full Version : TerribleEd's First Mock of the Year

TerribleEd
10-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Rd 1) Chris Williams, OT, Vandy

The Steelers O-line needs improved across multiple positions. A future LT is a must. Chris Williams seems to fit the mold best, especially where we project the Steelers to be selecting. The beautiful thing about this selection is that we may be able to trade down and still get him, especially if underclassmen like Ryan Clady, Michael Oher, and/or Phil Loadholt should declare. Trading down here could open up possibilities for better prospects in round 2 or 3.

Rd 2) Dre Moore, DT, Maryland

The Steelers not only need to get better in the offensive trenches, they need to get better and younger on the defensive line as well. I have seen Dre Moore ranked anywhere from the late first to the fourth. Scott Wright does not have him included in his top 100 senior prospects. While I see his stock climbing between now and April, I think there's a good chance he could be available to us in Round 2. He possesses the tools to become an excellent pro.

Rd 3) Tavares Gooden, OLB, The U

While Clark Haggans has been serviceable, I don't think he is quite the specimen the Steelers need at OLB. Therefore, I see him gone after this season. And while his obvious replacement will be LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers still need young, talented depth with upside at the position. Many are sticking with the thought that the Steelers will be a 3-4 defensive team for the long haul, but I still think they will eventually incorporate the 4-3 cover-2, at least part-time. While Lawrence Timmons would be an excellent weak side OLB in the 4-3, Tavares Gooden would fit just as nicely on the strong side of that defense. Besides that, he should be capable of playing OLB or ILB in the 3-4 at a high level. He is currently on pace to break 100 tackles this season for the Hurricanes.

Rd 4) Jerome Felton, FB, Furman

Obviously Kreider doesn't fit the mold of the new Steeler FB. While Carey Davis may be closer to what they are looking for, he isn't quite the long term answer. From what I read about Felton, he could be just what they are looking for long term. He blocks. He is a receiver. He is a runner, especially in short yardage and goal line situations. Last year he scored 23 TD's. I think he would be a great fit.

Rd 5) Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers

Zuttah is a standout OT for the Scarlett Knights and while people think he has a future at the next level, they tend to think it will be as an interior lineman. He has the feet condusive to playing the Center position for the Steelers.

Rd 6) Martel Van Zant, CB, Oklahoma State

I know nothing about this guy but the Steelers will need some CB depth when they send Coclough packing this offseason. He has good size at 6'1" and 210 lbs. If he doesn't make it as a pro football player, perhaps he can be the next lead singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Rd 7) Bruce Hocker, WR, Duquesne

Might as well bring in the small school local product to compete with Dallas Baker for a roster or practice squad spot. By the way, while the Steelers need to be looking for a stud WR soon, it does not necessarily have to be this upcoming offseason considering all their other priorities.

TerribleEd
10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
I've had this posted for over a week and not one response? Not one? Citicism? Praise? Comments?

mikehop05
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
well for starters we dont have a rd 7.

but i dont comment on anyones unless its to say... its way to freaking early for me to start worrying about the draft... or to point out that in your first pick you speak of trading down, and i really dont see us being able to trade down as we will hopefully and most likely end up in the 27 - 31 range

mikehop05
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
oh also i love dre moore... but i think thats kind of a given

Jakey
10-30-2007, 04:30 AM
I like the day one picks...i'd have no problem with them at all. I like Chris Williams, but he might be a bit of a reach there. grade C+

TerribleEd
10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
mikehop:

When I state that we may able to trade down and still get Williams, I mean out of the first completely. What I did not do is specifically name what the trade would be (i.e - we trade down to the top 10 in Rd 2, select Williams, and gather an extra third in the process). I merely point out that it's a possibility that we could, and whatever came of it might enable us to move up somewhere and get a better pick later in the first day (i.e - We get Dre Moore when we probably couldn't with the 32nd pick in Rd 2).

Mr. Stiller
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Rd 1) Chris Williams, OT, Vandy

The Steelers O-line needs improved across multiple positions. A future LT is a must. Chris Williams seems to fit the mold best, especially where we project the Steelers to be selecting. The beautiful thing about this selection is that we may be able to trade down and still get him, especially if underclassmen like Ryan Clady, Michael Oher, and/or Phil Loadholt should declare. Trading down here could open up possibilities for better prospects in round 2 or 3.

I love Chris Williams, but with the way Marvel is playing we can probably hold off a bit here to aim at another position of need (OLB/ILB) and grab a 3rd/4th rounder.

Rd 2) Dre Moore, DT, Maryland

The Steelers not only need to get better in the offensive trenches, they need to get better and younger on the defensive line as well. I have seen Dre Moore ranked anywhere from the late first to the fourth. Scott Wright does not have him included in his top 100 senior prospects. While I see his stock climbing between now and April, I think there's a good chance he could be available to us in Round 2. He possesses the tools to become an excellent pro.

I really like Moore and if he's around in round 2.. I'll be hard pressed to pass on him. I think he's going to be one of those Maryland athletes that are 3rd rounders until the combine comes around and he jumps into 1st/2nd round.

Rd 3) Tavares Gooden, OLB, The U

While Clark Haggans has been serviceable, I don't think he is quite the specimen the Steelers need at OLB. Therefore, I see him gone after this season. And while his obvious replacement will be LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers still need young, talented depth with upside at the position. Many are sticking with the thought that the Steelers will be a 3-4 defensive team for the long haul, but I still think they will eventually incorporate the 4-3 cover-2, at least part-time. While Lawrence Timmons would be an excellent weak side OLB in the 4-3, Tavares Gooden would fit just as nicely on the strong side of that defense. Besides that, he should be capable of playing OLB or ILB in the 3-4 at a high level. He is currently on pace to break 100 tackles this season for the Hurricanes.

I really really like Gooden.. but I can't see him past round 2. I don't think we're going to a 4-3.. if anything we're going to implement more Tomlin 2 (3-4 Tampa 2 style). Gooden would make an awesome replacement for Farrior, 6'2 245 lbs runs a 4.45. I can't see him fall this far on intangibles alone, let alone his great play at Miami.

Rd 4) Jerome Felton, FB, Furman

Obviously Kreider doesn't fit the mold of the new Steeler FB. While Carey Davis may be closer to what they are looking for, he isn't quite the long term answer. From what I read about Felton, he could be just what they are looking for long term. He blocks. He is a receiver. He is a runner, especially in short yardage and goal line situations. Last year he scored 23 TD's. I think he would be a great fit.

I like Felton, but if we replace Davis, I'd rather have a true H-Back. If we pick one this high, we'd be fools not to go for Owen Schmitt. He's 6'3 260lbs runs in the 4.7's. Short yardage back, receiver and TE. He fills 3-4 Roles on this team. Felton, maybe 2.

Rd 5) Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers

Zuttah is a standout OT for the Scarlett Knights and while people think he has a future at the next level, they tend to think it will be as an interior lineman. He has the feet condusive to playing the Center position for the Steelers.

I think we're going to address the OT's this offseason because bringing in a new RT will allow Colon to play C or LG, Simmons LG or C and Kemo RG.

Rd 6) Martel Van Zant, CB, Oklahoma State

I know nothing about this guy but the Steelers will need some CB depth when they send Coclough packing this offseason. He has good size at 6'1" and 210 lbs. If he doesn't make it as a pro football player, perhaps he can be the next lead singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd.

He does seem to be in the mold of Steelers CB's. However I think he's going to go round 4-5 as a Safety.

Rd 7) Bruce Hocker, WR, Duquesne

Might as well bring in the small school local product to compete with Dallas Baker for a roster or practice squad spot. By the way, while the Steelers need to be looking for a stud WR soon, it does not necessarily have to be this upcoming offseason considering all their other priorities.

Eh, Not a fan of this pick (not that we have a 7th) but if we did, I'd add a NT, or Depth at ILB, OLB or DL.

mikehop05
10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
mikehop:

When I state that we may able to trade down and still get Williams, I mean out of the first completely. What I did not do is specifically name what the trade would be (i.e - we trade down to the top 10 in Rd 2, select Williams, and gather an extra third in the process). I merely point out that it's a possibility that we could, and whatever came of it might enable us to move up somewhere and get a better pick later in the first day (i.e - We get Dre Moore when we probably couldn't with the 32nd pick in Rd 2).

ohh alright that makes more sense then

TerribleEd
11-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Sure it's completely different than last time around, but that's what this time of year is about, as well as this web site! I appreciate your critique!

Gone from the OL are Alan Faneca, Max Starks, and Trai Essex. Chris Kemoeatu is either resigned for a single season (a la Starks last season), or is signed to a longer contract with a bonus clause should he become a starter.

With those offensive line offseason moves covered, here is my Steelers 2008 mock draft:

Round One: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/04/30/lsu.draft/t1_jackson_wi.jpg

Tyson Jackson is a Junior, so it remains to be seen whether or not he declares (there seems to be some speculation that he will). If he does, he will offer excellent value late in the round. At 6'5", 290 lbs., he would make an excellent 3-4 DE with the potential to move inside in a four down linemen scheme. The Steelers need to get tougher and younger in the defensive trenches. They also need depth. Why not take a guy with his kind of potential if the opportunity presents itself?

Round Two: Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9568/pittblockdj6.png

Otah is rising quickly and actually may not be here when the Steelers select in round two. However, if some of the Juniors like Clady, Oher, and Loadholt declare, then his availability becomes likely. Otah would be able to compete at RT his rookie year (which would push Colon inside to Guard where he may be best suited long-term), and may have the athleticism to move to LT in the future.

Round Three: Beau Bell, ILB/OLB UNLV

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unlv/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/217827.jpeg

If Haggans is not resigned (and I don't think he will be), then of course Woodley moves into that starting role. Depth would still be a major issue. Beau Bell currently plays ILB for the Runnin' Rebels, but has the size (6'2", 248 lbs.) and definitely the athleticism to play OLB in the 3-4. In fact, he would be a complete outside linebacker with respect to pass rush abilities (has four sacks this season from the inside), run stopping (leads UNLV in tackles), and pass coverage (has three picks this season). If this was not as deep of a linebacker draft as it is, and if he were not playing in the WAC, he would most likely go in Round 2 or higher.

Round Four: Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech

http://sportsevents.net/ncaa/football/images/virginia_tech_hokies_duane_brown.jpg

As Jeff Otah would be the immediate replacement for Max Starks, so would Duane Brown be the immediate replacement for Trai Essex. A former tight end, Brown is a very athletic offensive linemen. Not quite a project and not yet a finished product, Brown comes with upside. This is another example of getting a player lower than his potential would dictate in most years due to the great depth at the OT position in the 2008 draft.

Round 5: Jerome Felton, FB, Furman

http://purpleaxe.typepad.com/the_paladin_walk/images/2007/06/19/jerome_felton_cover_2.jpg

This is exactly the kind of FB that the Steelers want. He can run, block, and receive. Dan Kreider lacks the athleticism, Carey Davis lacks the blocking (and the athleticism for that matter), but Jerome Felton can be a complete NFL full back who would thrive in the Steelers new offense. For those who would prefer Owen Schmidt: I love the guy, but he is not athletic enough to do what the Steelers would ask of him at the next level.

Round 6: Kory Lichtensteigher, C/G, Bowling Green

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/43/431691.jpg

Whether Kemoeatu starts or Colon is moved inside, the Steelers will still need additional depth inside. The fact that this guy can play G or C makes him all the more attractive.