PDA

View Full Version : First Mock of 08

49ers169
10-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I am doing order off of ESPN's week 8 power rankings so don't freak out about position.

1. Miami Dolphins - Glenn Dorsey-NT-LSU

Their defense has been terrible all season long and they need a big time nose tackle and Dorsey is the best available.

2. St. Lous Rams - Jake Long-OT-Michigan

The Rams have suffered from injuries all year long and need a big time upgrade on the offensive line. With Pace out for the year and aging they need to replace him and Long will be the perfect replacement.

3. New York Jets - Chris Long-DE-Virginia

The Jets need help in trying to put together a 3-4 and Long is the perfect guy for it. McFadden makes sense here but I just don't see it, especially since they just got Thomas Jones this offseason.

4. Atlanta Falcons - Brian Brohm-QB-Louisville

I think there are better picks here, but Brohm knows Petrino's system and wouldn't have a big learning curve when compared to others.

5. New England Patriots (Via S.F.) - Kenny Phillips-S-Miami

Yes they drafted Merriweather last year but unless they re-sign Samuel they will need to fill a big void. Harrison is also aging and Phillips would be a very good replacement for him.

6. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden-RB-Oakland

Tough pick here between Calais and Darren, but in the end you take the best player available and Oakland has plenty of talent on defense. Helps improve the offense even more and with Russell and McFadden it could be scary for years to come.

7. Minnesota Vikings - Andre Woodson-QB-Kentucky

Minnesota has tried the Tarvaris Jackson experiment and figuring out it doesn't work. Tough call between Woodson and Ryan but I like Woodson a little better than Ryan.

8. Buffalo Bills - DeSean Jackson-WR-California

Bills have yet to find a deep threat in a few years and they need a receiver to help Trent Edwards. Jackson is an explosive guy and will command double teams due to his speed.

9. New Orleans Saints - James Laurinaitis-MLB-Ohio State

Calais is again in play here but they need a linebacker more than a end. Laurinaitis helps solidify that position and will help the defense for years to come.

10. Cincinatti Bengals - Calais Campbell-DE-Miami

The Bengals get a steal in Campbell and will help Justin Smith on the line. Instantly improves that defense.

11. Philadelphia Eagles - Sam Baker-OT-USC

This pick would have been Matt Ryan but they took Kevin Kolb last year. Baker helps protect whoever they will have back there next year and is a need position for the Eagles as well.

12. Houston Texans - Malcolm Jenkins-CB-OSU

Texans are bummed out that they don't land Kenny Phillips as he would have been the perfect fit for the secondary but Jenkins is a great player. He will help solidify that secondary, which is the last piece of the puzzle for that defense.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Derrick Harvey-OLB-Florida

The Cardinals love the fact that they get a great young player for their 3-4 defense. Harvey will provide an excellent pass rushing threat at the linebacker position.

14. Dallas Cowboys (Via Cleveland) - Justin King-CB-Penn State

The Cowboys would have loved to get McFadden and could trade up to get him but the secondary needs a lot of help. Terrence Newman is a stud but they need someone along side him. King will be that guy and will be a great addition to the secondary.

15. Chicago Bears - Matt Ryan-QB-Boston College

Offensive line is a possibility here depending on how Griese plays the rest of the way. Ryan I think is the second best QB this year and very well could be the best at the end of the year. He can be the franchise QB for years to come for the Bears.

16. Denver Broncos - Sedrick Ellis-DT-USC

The Broncos took Moss last year and they still need to upgrade the defensive tackle position. Ellis would be a great fit along side of Moss and make their defensive line great for years to come.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gosder Cherlius-OT-Boston College

A QB could be a possibility but I don't see a QB worth taking with Ryan off the board. Cherlius can upgrade that line a lot and could step in right away and perform well. Another possibility is a running back but I think they will see how Cadillac rebounds.

18. Seattle Seahawks - Johnathan Stewart-RB-Oregon

The Seahawks go with a northwest guy, although they could go numerous ways. Alexander is not himself and they need an upgrade very soon.

19. Baltimore Ravens - Colt Brennon-QB-Hawaii

Maybe a little shocker here but McNair is slowing down and with Groves on the board it is going to be enticing. However they need a franchise QB and Brennon I think will show a lot at the combine and bump his draft stock.

20. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Clady-OT-Boise State

The Chiefs need an upgrade on the offensive line due to all the retirements that have taken place and with Bowe in the mix they grab Clady to protect Johnson and Croyle.

21. Carolina Panthers - Reggie Smith-S-Okalahoma

They need a big time player at safety and Reggie Smith will fill the void Minter left. Great pickup for them and should help a ton next year.

22. Detroit Lions - Dan Connor-LB-Penn State

Defense needs help and with Ernie Sims along side Connor their cover 2 defense will begin to take off. Should be an excellent linebacking corp for years to come.

23. Washington Redskins - Malcolm Kelly-WR-Oklahoma

I think he is the best receiver outside of Jackson and he will climb up draft boards this spring after the combine. They need weapons to help Campbell and Kelly will be a great fit.

24. San Diego Chargers - Rey Mauluaga-LB-USC

The Chargers are an overall excellent team without a lot of weaknesses. However adding Rey will help the middle of their defense and he also brings a lot of versatility.

25. Tennessee Titans - Early Doucet-WR-LSU

They went with a safety last year and Vince needs targets to throw to. Sweed is a guy that could have been possible but I don't see him in the first round right now. Doucet is an explosive guy that will help Young a ton.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ali Highsmith-LB-LSU

Jaguars need a young linebacker to lead their defense and Highsmith is the guy perfect for the job.

27. Pittsburgh Steelers - Michael Oher-OT-Ole Miss

The Steelers are getting old on the offensive line and Oher would help a ton. He can help Big Ben and Willie Parker sustain their success and hopefully getting them back to the Super Bowl.

28. Green Bay Packers - Steve Slaton-RB-WVU

They clearly need a running game to help Farve and Slaton would do wonders with the Packers. He could be a steal here and help the offense for years to come.

29. New York Giants - Keith Rivers-LB-USC

With Aaron Ross in the fold their secondary is getting some big time help and Rivers would be a big time playmaker for the Giants.

30. Dallas Cowboys - Adarius Bowman-WR-Oklahoma State

Originally thought Manningham but took a closer look at numbers and Bowman is very similar in speed and runs better routes than Manningham in the end.

31. San Francisco 49ers - Quentin Groves-LB/DE-Auburn

Many think the 49ers need a big time receiver however their pass rush is lacking. Banta-Cain is not a great end rusher and Lawson is a better guy in coverage. Groves would give them versatility and a big time pass rushing threat along with Willis. They could also go with Okam here to help their D-Line.

MaddHatter
10-24-2007, 05:36 PM
King is solid for the Cowboys, but give me Bowman over Manningham

thebow305
10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
ok phins pick.... I dont think the pats take a safety in the first round in back to back years... damn I hope they dont get kenny!

49ers169
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
ok phins pick.... I dont think the pats take a safety in the first round in back to back years... damn I hope they dont get kenny!

I don't do trades until after the combine. But I presume that the Patriots will try and trade down and could get a young pass rusher like Quentin Groves.

But who do your fans want?? Calais Campbell??

CLong4Heisman
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Good Jets pick and reasoning.

Beans
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I'd prefer Brennan there for Tampa. Even though LT is not our strongest spot, Donald Penn hasn't been doing bad.

neko4
10-24-2007, 08:28 PM
CB is a larger need for GB

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
6. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden-RB-Oakland

Tough pick here between Calais and Darren, but in the end you take the best player available and Oakland has plenty of talent on defense. Helps improve the offense even more and with Russell and McFadden it could be scary for years to come.

Wow quite obvious you havent watched alot of Raider games.Otherwise youd know that RDE is ten times more of a need than RB.Were getting no pressure from the RDE position.Theres no talent at that position.Theres talent at the RB position though.

Yung Flippa
10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I sort of like the pick, but I'd probably have Quentin Groves, because i KNOW he will excel in our defense.

Caddy
10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd prefer Brennan there for Tampa. Even though LT is not our strongest spot, Donald Penn hasn't been doing bad.

I wouldn't even consider Brennan in the 1st at this point in time but I agree that Cherilus is a questionable pick. He seems like a better fit at RT where we are already set.

Apriori
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Between Rhodes, Jordan, and that other guy, I don't think RB is a need for the Raiders, even if it's McFadden. But then again, the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson...

Addict
10-25-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm not sure between Conner and Rey, with Rey being a ILB already I'd say he'd be better or the Lions.

Crazy_Chris
10-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Give the Vikes Matt Ryan over Andre Woodson and it would be perfect

BaLLiN
10-25-2007, 06:03 AM
That would be great if Rivers is still their for the giants

NIN1984
10-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Raiders do need help on the D-line or even the O-line but McFadden is McFadden, I can dig it.

Finsfan79
10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't do trades until after the combine. But I presume that the Patriots will try and trade down and could get a young pass rusher like Quentin Groves.

But who do your fans want?? Calais Campbell??

you gave us the best player for the dolphins so no worries there. If we dont trade back I think Dorsey is the fitting pick.

DE in the 3-4 and 4-3 DT, he fills a need for us in both parts of the hybrid

49ers169
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow quite obvious you havent watched alot of Raider games.Otherwise youd know that RDE is ten times more of a need than RB.Were getting no pressure from the RDE position.Theres no talent at that position.Theres talent at the RB position though.

I have seen the Raiders play twice and in my opinion both positions are needs. But McFadden is the overall best player in the draft and getting him at 6 is a steal.