PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith expected to start Sunday

49ersfan_87
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
The third-year quarterback took a full load this Wednesday, completing both short and long passes.

Its good to have your starting quarterback back out there, said wide receiver Arnaz Battle. Hes always been steady for us in there, and was in there for all 16 games last year. Unfortunately hes had this injury but I know hes ready to get back in there and compete and were glad to have him back out there.

Coach Nolan said last week that it was important for Smith to have confidence in his arm, something that would come once he had a chance to take some full reps.

According to tight end Delanie Walker Smith took back his huddle with poise and determination.

He came in there confident and ready, said Walker. On the first snap it was lets get it right, lets be focused. He made a good throw on the first play and I knew he was ready.

Barring any setbacks from now through Friday, Smith should be heading the offense when the Saints march into town.

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=3582&section=PR%20News

OH THANK GOD....I couldn't take any more of Dilfer. The 49ers now have a shot to win.

neko4
10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
first statement is funny, is Davis off the Injury list yet? or still probable or ques?

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
first statement is funny, is Davis off the Injury list yet? or still probable or ques?

He played against the Giants last week and was a total non factor. He did have a key holding penalty though.

McBain
10-24-2007, 10:13 PM
He played against the Giants last week and was a total non factor. He did have a key holding penalty though.

he dropped that one that hit him in the hands in wide open space that he could have easily taken for a td if not for his stone hands.

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
he dropped that one that hit him in the hands in wide open space that he could have easily taken for a td if not for his stone hands.

Well for a top 10 pick he shouldn't have stone hands.

McBain
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Well for a top 10 pick he shouldn't have stone hands.

i'm not defending him.

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:35 PM
i'm not defending him.

I know I was just saying.

Flyboy
10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I hope for his sake, Will Smith doesn't eat him.

no love
10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
They have to be more creative in getting him the ball. He has had big plays in 2 of the 4 games he played in. But the first two games we hardly even passed the ball so it was irrelevant.

He had to appeal to Nolan just to get him into the game plan more. And he has said that he has been open but the qb's have not gotten him the ball. Very frustrating stuff bc I think we all want to see what he is capable of.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/008360.html

Auron
10-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I think Dilfer has missed a lot of opportunities in the passing game. Vs. the Giants he had Vernon Davis on a deep Flag route in front of the Safety with a lot of open space ahead of him.. but instead of leading the pass in front of the receiver with some touch. Dilfer tried to gun it in to the spot where Davis was already at, which led to a pass he was unprepared for, and fell incomplete. For a veteran QB Dilfer seems to miss a lot of reads, and doesn't really pick up things at the Line of scrimmage very well. (which is probably why you see him slamming the Play photographs to the ground on the sidelines afterwards)

Alex Smith coming back should be a big boost for their passing game, but depends if he's healthy and ready to come back out there. If he's rushed out there's a chance of suffering further damage.

Addict
10-25-2007, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE]The third-year quarterback took a full load this Wednesday[/IMG]

hahahaah omg am I the only one who thought he'd been showered in spunk?

neko4
10-25-2007, 04:51 AM
[quote]The third-year quarterback took a full load this Wednesday[/IMG]

hahahaah omg am I the only one who thought he'd been showered in spunk?
thats what i thought

bsaza2358
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Smith getting back on the field is important for his development, and it gives the Niners a chance to really see everything at work. As for Davis, I was never high on him, even when he blew everyone away at the combine. I live in the DC area, and I never heard peep about him on local shows before his combine performance. When I asked friends of mine who were fans, they mentioned that he had a poor work ethic and had issues blocking. Sounds like a bad combo...

bigbluedefense
10-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Davis did expose one major flaw that the giants have yet to correct though, and thats the fact that we simply have nobody who can cover the TE. If you have a good TE and a good WR that both demand double teams, you'll gash our pass coverage bc we're only capable of doubling up on one of them.

bsaza2358
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
BBD, I think that would be true of many defenses. If you have a big time WR that commands a double, the rest of the offense is going to benefit. It's kind of like how Westbrook and Antonio Gates open up the offense for everyone else.

no love
10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Smith getting back on the field is important for his development, and it gives the Niners a chance to really see everything at work. As for Davis, I was never high on him, even when he blew everyone away at the combine. I live in the DC area, and I never heard peep about him on local shows before his combine performance. When I asked friends of mine who were fans, they mentioned that he had a poor work ethic and had issues blocking. Sounds like a bad combo...

From everything I have heard it's pretty much the opposite. He obviously works hard in the weight room. But he spent time trying to get better at routes AND blocking because he wanted to be a complete te. His athleticism is very real and it gets him open, unfortunately the occasional drops and qbs missing him has really hurt him. And being injured for most of his career thus far.

Davis has actually been surprisingly good at blocking since he got here. You can tell the coaches trust him when they single him up against Michael Strahan on an off-tackle run (lead to a holding call). I think its a bad play design for a 2nd year te to be blocking a hof de, but that shows the trust that coaches have that he can seal that edge.

bsaza2358
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
That was his reputation in college. Monster in the weight room, but his work ethic with technique and film study was lacking. He played in a pretty weak ACC with some decent QB's, and he never shined. That is a problem if you're trying to justify a #6 overall pick.

ks_perfection
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
From everything I have heard it's pretty much the opposite. He obviously works hard in the weight room. But he spent time trying to get better at routes AND blocking because he wanted to be a complete te. His athleticism is very real and it gets him open, unfortunately the occasional drops and qbs missing him has really hurt him. And being injured for most of his career thus far.

Davis has actually been surprisingly good at blocking since he got here. You can tell the coaches trust him when they single him up against Michael Strahan on an off-tackle run (lead to a holding call). I think its a bad play design for a 2nd year te to be blocking a hof de, but that shows the trust that coaches have that he can seal that edge.

Or it could be the coaching showing there lack of trust in the passing game. If Turner has confidence in Gates he won't keep him in, cause having a dominat reciever in the passing game is much more important than someone else who can block well.