PDA

View Full Version : 2008 OL Draft Class

IndyColtScout
10-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Is one of the best I've ever seen. I seriously am not joking. I'm not saying the top guys in this class are going to be the best ever. I'm saying overall, there are just tons of solid OL. I believe this is a strong class for centers. It's also a stong class for OL who are being under utilized, and possibly switch position at the next level. I also see more prospects than ever that fit the ZBS. I really like quite a few of these OL, as in probably around 30 to 40 OL.

Cashmoney
10-24-2007, 11:57 PM
not to mention all of the potential underclassmen...

YAYareaRB
10-24-2007, 11:58 PM
D'Brick and the Boys of 06 are gonna be a tough act to follow. Last year wasn't too shabby either.

Giantsfan1080
10-25-2007, 12:07 AM
It depends on what juniors declare for this draft. If some of T prospect juniors do indeed come out then that alone might make this one of the best OL drafts we've seen in a while.

draftguru151
10-25-2007, 09:28 AM
OT is pretty deep but I really don't like any of the interior guys, especially centers. The junior centers look to be a very good class, not a fan of the seniors.

IndyColtScout
10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
OT is pretty deep but I really don't like any of the interior guys, especially centers. The junior centers look to be a very good class, not a fan of the seniors.

I don't understand what you don't like. I seriously see around 16 current centers that are legit NFL OL as in starter quality (some will not be first year starters). One thing that screws that stat up, is that many of those 16 prospects I consider to have better oppurtunities at other OL positions.

I like:

Mack
Justice (I like him at C or LG in the ZBS)
Spieker
Pollak (Will play LG; Eric Steinbach)
Legursky
Lichtensteiger
Wallace
Masters
Krutilla
Miller (will move to T I think)
Sullivan
Cavender
Morse (Think he has really good potential as a RG)
Coleman (sleeper OL who I think is a T)
Lipsey
Brinkhaus

I'm not saying every single one of these guys will get picked. I'm saying with the right coaching I think all these centers can be NFL starters.

Unbiased
10-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Most of those guys are average. Mack is a junior.

toonsterwu
10-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't like the interior guys much, barring some OT's sliding into guard. Btw, Lipsey? Huge UVA fan ... but at best, he's a bench guy in the NFL, unless he somehow adds more weight, which he's failed to do in his tenure at UVA. I mean, if he could add another 15 pounds, Lipsey arguably could be a top C. Technique wise, very solid. But his frame just doesn't hold it. I keep wondering if he should do the opposite of Patrick Estes and move to TE.

The OT class is nice, but I don't think it is great UNLESS the juniors declare.

Turtlepower
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Probably the best eligible interior lineman is Duke Robinson from Oklahoma. I really like the guy and think if he comes out he has a good chance of being the first OG taken. Probably an early second, but a team with a need at guard could take him in the late first.

IndyColtScout
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Again I'm not saying all of these guys will get picked or anything. I just think quite a few of these guys are going to get good coaching and outdo our expectations. I know its a matter of personal opinion, but 280 pounds is really not a big deal. Lots of those guys are under 300. A team like the Colts actually likes there OL under 300, because they like guys with quick feet.

To each his own, but I am telling you guys there are a lot of interior lineman you guys are sleeping on. Not saying all these guys are starters. Many of them are round out your OL rotation guys, but I still believe with the right coaching that many of those guys got a shot.

toonsterwu
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
If some junior OG's come out, the interior class could get much more interesting. For example, while I hope he doesn't bolt, if Branden Albert does bolt, he's a potential day 1 OG.

IndyColtScout
10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
OK I'm not saying I'm right or anyone is wrong, but lets just think about OL for a minute. I bet you there is at least 1.5 to 2 guys starting on average that either were not picked by their team or even picked at all. I bet there is more if you count the bench and PS. This is seriously to me the hardest position to gauge talent.

Every year there are quite a few sleeper OL who are from major schools (not small ones which a sleeper usually is). That should tell us all how difficult that can be.

Again, I'm not saying this is an OL for top talent. I'm saying this is an OL year where there could be 30 possible solid OL prospects, and thats a lot more than usual. Just my opinion though.

D-Unit
10-26-2007, 11:27 AM
The Guard class is extremely weak this year. Jeremy Perry should declare imo. But yeah... unless the Guard class starts to see improved play, this OL class can't be that good. The OT class is strong however. That much I would agree with.

toonsterwu
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
OK I'm not saying I'm right or anyone is wrong, but lets just think about OL for a minute. I bet you there is at least 1.5 to 2 guys starting on average that either were not picked by their team or even picked at all. I bet there is more if you count the bench and PS. This is seriously to me the hardest position to gauge talent.

Every year there are quite a few sleeper OL who are from major schools (not small ones which a sleeper usually is). That should tell us all how difficult that can be.

Again, I'm not saying this is an OL for top talent. I'm saying this is an OL year where there could be 30 possible solid OL prospects, and thats a lot more than usual. Just my opinion though.

I think you'll find that, if you scour recent drafts, there's been several drafts with 30 solid OL prospects. But it seemed like your original post was talking about the draft value of the position. If you are talking about finding sleepers, then that's a different category, and yes, I think this draft could field a lot of intriguing day 2 OL guys. But from a draft value perspective, I'm not sure it's a once in the lifetime class. Nice class, perhaps a good class. But a lot of question marks.

That said, if some juniors declare, this class could look really spectacular (although it would make next year a bit weak to start off).

IndyColtScout
10-26-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm assuming that many of the juniors will declare, and added with all the solid OL will make for a very great class. My last few post have been simply about lesser hyped guys because it's no fun to talk about the prospects everyone know about.