PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan

Don Vito
10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Couldn't find a thread on him so I will start ine. What does this game do to not only his Heisman chances but his draft status? He played like absolute **** the first 56 minutes, and in those final four he added more craziness to an insane college football season (against tech in Blacksburg nontheless). Honestly, I think this game helps him just because that was one of the most crazy, unexpected comebacks I have ever seen. I am a huge BC fan but not until now will I say he is my #1 QB and Heisman pick.

vatech=accdomination
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
In my honest opion this game hurt his stock in my eyes, he was my #1 QB, but he looked unippressive, you cant only show up for 4 minutes and be considered an elite prospect, he finished 25-52 with 2 tds and 2 ints, and there should have been quite a few more int's, he stares down recievers, and does not throw the ball with enough zip on slants, outs, comebacks etc.

SuperKevin
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
In my honest opion this game hurt his stock in my eyes, he was my #1 QB, but he looked unippressive, you cant only show up for 4 minutes and be considered an elite prospect, he finished 25-52 with 2 tds and 2 ints, and there should have been quite a few more int's, he stares down recievers, and does not throw the ball with enough zip on slants, outs, comebacks etc.

The weather had a major play in the lack of zip

I feel you can't look at the stats in this performance. Ryan showed tremendous leadership and poise under pressure at the end of the game. Thats the kind of thing NFL scouts will drool over

vatech=accdomination
10-25-2007, 11:09 PM
i still have him as my number 1, the last drive he noticed they cheated over when he rolled out, so he waited for that 1 reciever to go back to basically the same spot, which is something you dont see many QB's do, but i mean up to about 6 minutes left SEAN GLENNON had as much total offesne as he did.

Scott Wright
10-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I am still not drinking the kool-aid on Matt Ryan.

Granted the rain didn't help early in the game but even once that cleared up he was missing a lot of his targets and just did not look very good. Sure he played great on those last two drives but up until then he was basically terrible.

Bottom line for me is I still have Brohm as my #1 quarterback with Woodson and Ryan basically 2a and 2b.

SuperKevin
10-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I am still not drinking the kool-aid on Matt Ryan.

Granted the rain didn't help early in the game but even once that cleared up he was missing a lot of his targets and just did not look very good. Sure he played great on those last two drives but up until then he was basically terrible.

Bottom line for me is I still have Brohm as my #1 quarterback with Woodson and Ryan basically 2a and 2b.

I can agree with that. I had Brohm, Ryan, Woodson as my top 3 since day one of the season.

Scott Wright
10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
And just to clarify, it's not that I don't like Ryan because I do. I always say intangibles are the biggest thing I look for and Ryan has those in spades. Plus he certainly looks the part. I have seen at least three full games of his this year already though and something just seems to be missing for me...

fenikz
10-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I didn't believe any of the hype coming into the game and for about 95% of it I was still unconvinced, but those last 2 drives bumped him up a notch, still wouldn't put him above Brohmn or Woodson but he is above Brennan in my books

thebow305
10-26-2007, 12:58 AM
It's not how you start, it's how you finish. All the great quarterbacks know how to get the job done when the game is hanging in the balance and that is exactly what Matt Ryan did. He put the team on his shoulders in that last 2 and half minutes, scrambling and hitting recievers downfield with pinpoint accuracy, a mediocre recieving corps, and very poor protection up front. He found a way to get it done. He will be a great Quarterback in the NFL, mark my words.

SuperKevin
10-26-2007, 01:01 AM
And just to clarify, it's not that I don't like Ryan because I do. I always say intangibles are the biggest thing I look for and Ryan has those in spades. Plus he certainly looks the part. I have seen at least three full games of his this year already though and something just seems to be missing for me...

To me, the only flaw in Ryans game is his inability to think on the run for the most part. he had a few nice passes on the move to win tonight's game against VT but for the most part he's a QB who has to be set in the pocket to make plays

soybean
10-26-2007, 02:12 AM
It's not how you start, it's how you finish. All the great quarterbacks know how to get the job done when the game is hanging in the balance and that is exactly what Matt Ryan did. He put the team on his shoulders in that last 2 and half minutes, scrambling and hitting recievers downfield with pinpoint accuracy, a mediocre recieving corps, and very poor protection up front. He found a way to get it done. He will be a great Quarterback in the NFL, mark my words.

well a great quarterback wouldn't have put his team in a position to have to try the onside.

It was a great defensive effort by both teams but that last INT in crunch time was a head scratcher.

D-Unit
10-26-2007, 02:38 AM
What does Matt Ryan do/have that Charlie Whitehurst doesn't?

Don Vito
10-26-2007, 02:44 AM
Ryan has thrown some poor passes but Whitehurst made some truly horrible decisions at Clemson. Whitehurst had all the tools coming out but and had brilliant freshman and sophmore seasons, but as a junior he was 7-17 in TDs-ints and was 11-10 as a senior.

Whitehurst was a good college QB but was drastically inconsistent and never flat out led Clemson to a big time, career defining season.

Michigan
10-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Not sure I'd give Ryan too much credit over the last drive. Even I'd find an open reciever if I was given 15 seconds to throw.

BuddyCHRIST
10-26-2007, 08:23 AM
His success late was mostly due to a very tired VT defense. They couldn't get any pressure on him late because the D-Lineman were just gassed, even in between plays you could see corners and LB's with hands on their hips just walking to get into position. Even late in the game he made alot of the mistakes he made throughout. The major thing that jumped out to me all game was his unwillingness to stand in the pocket and make a throw, everytime he got pressure he would always try to run and throw on the run, or he'd be throwing off his back foot to avoid the hit. The wet ball probably had alot to do with it, but I was a little dissapointed in his accuracy, he could hit guys, but he threw the ball in alot of bad positions to his WR's (such as on the wrong shoulder and things like that). I think it doesn't hurt his Heisman run, but it hurts his draft stock.

DeathbyStat
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Early in the game his Oline was the problem not him

lod01
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
His success late was mostly due to a very tired VT defense.

Yep. If he didn't have forever to complete that TD, he's sacked. He won't have that luxury in the NFL. I was hoping for a strong performance and didn't see it. A good comeback but if the D was fresh, it doesn't happen.

Addict
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
didn't people say he'd have trouble against this D?

toonsterwu
10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think this game helped him, in all honesty. It showed some of the flaws that people keep mentioning.

That said, I don't think this draft class is all that strong at the top, and I would still have Woodson/Ryan at the top of the QB charts in some fashion, with Brohm a little bit further down. Of the top three QB's, Ryan is arguably the most ready to step in.

D-Unit
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
didn't people say he'd have trouble against this D?

Did you watch the game? It was a very poor performance despite the comeback.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I had pretty much written this game off as struggling in bad conditions against a pretty good defense and didn't read much into it on Ryan himself...when they were down 10-0. To be fair, I can't really read much into the comeback either, then. Especially since I'd accredit as much of the outcome to VT's incompetence as Matt Ryan going nuts.

I still believe Ryan is overrated, however. It's weird, because I like him as a player, but I just don't like him as a top 10 pick. If BC was 5-3 this year and he wasnt getting as much hype as he is now, I'd be all over him. I just see too many flaws to invest a "franchise" pick in him. The back foot throws (the final TD pass was one of these, back foot, across the field and body, but hey it worked), the mind scratching decisions...just a little bit too much to propel him into that top status. I'm a little concerned with how awful he looked when VT got pressure on him before they went into the prevent, too. BC has a really great OLine most days and I wonder if he'll be prepared should he land on a team with a suspect line in the pro's. Though I guess the same could be said for Woodson with his delivery and inability to sense pressure

Paranoidmoonduck
10-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Ryan certainly didn't distinguish himself, but I don't think this lowered him any in my opinion. I'm far from smitten with Woodson, Brohm, or Ryan, but I still think that Ryan has a chance to be a top 10 pick in this draft.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Yep. If he didn't have forever to complete that TD, he's sacked. He won't have that luxury in the NFL. I was hoping for a strong performance and didn't see it. A good comeback but if the D was fresh, it doesn't happen.

What about Tom Brady? Can't you say the same for him? What about Peyton? sometimes they take forever, why would that be a knock on him? He didn't get the ball out fast enough? Was there anyone open?

bigbluedefense
10-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Personally, I haven't been entirely impressed with him. I actually like Brohm a little better.

But so far my #1 qb this season is Woodson. I like what Woodson brings to the table.

umphrey
10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I think the weather played a big factor in that game. That being said, he made a lot of bad throws and bad decisions early. I think he is the NFL equivalent of Leinart, who may have intangibles but is still held back by physical attributes and overall talent, and won't be the first QB taken this year. I also think he might be the best college QB this year, but not the best prospect.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Personally, I haven't been entirely impressed with him. I actually like Brohm a little better.

But so far my #1 qb this season is Woodson. I like what Woodson brings to the table.

I concur. Ryan locks onto his WR to much, and tries to force passes.