PDA

View Full Version : London Bowl! aka Channing Crowder is hilarious

CC.SD
10-26-2007, 12:21 PM
So does anyone have any thoughts on the upcoming European Fiesta? I gotta say, I don't think football will take the world by storm, because they have rugby over there. I've played Rugby and Football all through high school and college, and there's no question which is faster paced and bruise-inducing. That said, football is still my first and greatest love.

Also, here's a standup routine from Channing Crowder:

Channing Crowder-LB-Dolphins Oct. 24 - 8:32 pm et

Dolphins LB Channing Crowder, who appears likely to start in the middle Sunday against the Giants with Zach Thomas ailing, says he didn't know until Tuesday that people in London speak English.
"I couldnít find London on a map if they didnít have the names of the countries," he said. "I swear to God. I donít know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I know London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. Thatís the closest thing I know to London. Heís black, so Iím sure heís not from London. Iím sure thatís a coincidental name.

When reminded Dolphins practice squad receiver and NFL Europe veteran Marvin Allen is from London, Crowderís standup routine didnít miss a beat.

ďHeís from London?Ē Crowder said. ďI knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when they met) because ó I donít want to say he didnít look the part because thatís a stereotype ó but he didnít look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing.Ē
Source: Palm Beach Post

Yes, it's sarcasm.

bigbluedefense
10-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Great, just what we needed. An American idiot showing the world that we may very well be as dumb as they think we are.

Europe hates us enough, we didn't need Crowder's idiotic comments to give them more bulletin board material.

McBain
10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Great, just what we needed. An American idiot showing the world that we may very well be as dumb as they think we are.

Europe hates us enough, we didn't need Crowder's idiotic comments to give them more bulletin board material.

i'm just imagining a giant european bulletin board.... there's Sarkozy... he's emphatically pointing at it.

PoopSandwich
10-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Honestly though, who cares what Europe thinks about us?

bearsfan_51
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Dick Cheney?? Is that you??

Anyway..there's already a thread for this. I believe it's in off-topic.

Number 10
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Example A .

UKfan
10-27-2007, 05:39 AM
So does anyone have any thoughts on the upcoming European Fiesta? I gotta say, I don't think football will take the world by storm, because they have rugby over there. I've played Rugby and Football all through high school and college, and there's no question which is faster paced and bruise-inducing. That said, football is still my first and greatest love.

Football is growing here all the time no doubt, the scramble for tickets was insane with over 500000 people applying for tickets, when they actually went on sale the initial 40000 sold within 90 minutes. All week there has been a ton of hype for the game and lots of non football fans have been asking me about it. The coverage here is starting on Sky at 12pm, when the game doesn't start until 5, that's the level of interest there is in it. I could see football becoming huge very quickly over here, especially if the Rugby team continues to play boring rugby.

Football will never replace "soccer" as the number one sport over here, but I could well see it competing with Rugby to become the second sport over here. I'm beyond excited and I'm making sure my mates tune in whilst I am there (although partly as I wanna be seen in the crowd, row 37 woo!).

OzTitan
10-27-2007, 06:09 AM
The issue with American football is it just not going to work outside of a market like the US in a real commercial/mainstream sense. I doubt there is a country out there that could host a league with play at the level of D1-AA let alone a pro level. So as a sport, I don't see much hope for it Internationally.

The only hope is people catch onto the NFL itself, which is happening - I'd imagine the NFL is growing in popularity over the world literally daily. But there is only so much a league can do in another country particularly one based on a niche (Internationally speaking) variant of football, even if you do what the NFL are doing in this case by bringing a real life regular season game to a country like England. Hence, I doubt it will ever become the #2 sport anywhere honestly - I think every nation is too proud to overlook home grown sports they can see in the flesh for an imported product - god knows that's the only reason the crap football we have here in Australia is more popular than the NFL (that and the 3-5am wake ups).

Finsfan79
10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
hmmm

Well Crowder did go to UF and they pay players by the hour spent on the field not to go to the classrooms.

Moses
10-31-2007, 11:45 AM
The issue with American football is it just not going to work outside of a market like the US in a real commercial/mainstream sense. I doubt there is a country out there that could host a league with play at the level of D1-AA let alone a pro level. So as a sport, I don't see much hope for it Internationally.

The only hope is people catch onto the NFL itself, which is happening - I'd imagine the NFL is growing in popularity over the world literally daily. But there is only so much a league can do in another country particularly one based on a niche (Internationally speaking) variant of football, even if you do what the NFL are doing in this case by bringing a real life regular season game to a country like England. Hence, I doubt it will ever become the #2 sport anywhere honestly - I think every nation is too proud to overlook home grown sports they can see in the flesh for an imported product - god knows that's the only reason the crap football we have here in Australia is more popular than the NFL (that and the 3-5am wake ups).

You do realize that Canada already has a pro league, university leagues, high school teams, etc.

GermanSaint
11-01-2007, 09:45 AM

to speak for the most germans ( that i know ) : no we donīt

i hope this is not a kind of arrogance

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
to speak for the most germans ( that i know ) : no we donīt

where in Germany are you from? I've been in Berlin, dresden and munchen multiple times and while I loved the country, loveparade 03, I think, was one of the best times I've ever had, but the vast majority of people I met either were displeased with the us or openly despised the us and the bush regime. I was there again for the world cup last year and it seemed to have gotten even worse. I imagine after 911 there was almost universal support for the us, but bush seems to have eliminated that goodwill very quickly.

GermanSaint
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM
where in Germany are you from? I've been in Berlin, dresden and munchen multiple times and while I loved the country, loveparade 03, I think, was one of the best times I've ever had, but the vast majority of people I met either were displeased with the us or openly despised the us and the bush regime. I was there again for the world cup last year and it seemed to have gotten even worse. I imagine after 911 there was almost universal support for the us, but bush seems to have eliminated that goodwill very quickly.

iam from aachen , near collogne ( aachen is the most west(ly?) town from germany.
to talk about bush : 80 % of people bashing him over here got already chewed informations from media. for the most , they have no idea , just parroting from movies like "fahrenheit 911" or songs like this awkward one from P!nk . with people going up more neutral to political things its easier to have a talk to.
there was a guy from birmingham, alabama . who worked with me for about 3 months in the kitchen , he was neutral and a little critical , like myself and we had a lot of fun , while visiting collogne, having a beer , talking football and so on.
so what i want to say : if you meet the right people ( like me :P ) , that can speak a little english also , i guarantee you , there will be not much of a problem. above all in (former) west germany.

McBain
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
hmmm

Well Crowder did go to UF and they pay players by the hour spent on the field not to go to the classrooms.

crowder scored a 30 on the wonderlic and maintained a 3.5 gpa at UF. It's pretty clearly sarcasm.

Dolfan2788
11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
crowder scored a 30 on the wonderlic and maintained a 3.5 gpa at UF. It's pretty clearly sarcasm.

It's pretty clearly not sarcasm. If you look at his grades and what he said that's the obvious and only conclusion. But then you look at what he says after every game, after practice and in TC and you start to realise that it wasn't sarcasm at all. He says this kind of crap all the time. I love it personally because he's hilarious and always a good read.