PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts I had

Crickett
10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Not so much about week 7, but just in general.

Let me start this off with the team I am a fan of first and foremost.

If the Jets trade Jonathan Vilma, I donít know if I can continue to be a Jets fan. During my time as a Jets fan, there has always been at least one guy I can point at on the team and cheer for. It started with Curtis Martin, changed to John Abraham and eventually Vilma. Well, CuMart and Abraham are gone and there is talk that Vilma is the next to go. If he does, who is there left to cheer for? Pennington? IMO, he shouldnít even be starting. Kerry Rhodes? Rhodes is a pro bowl caliber safety, but he isnít a gamechanger the likes of Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. Yeah, maybe Darren McFadden could be that guy the point at and cheer for butÖ.

A. Thomas Jones is a pretty good running back and the idea of the Jets drafting him (McFadden) seems less like the Vikings drafting Adrian Peterson when they have Chester Taylor and more like the Bears drafting Cedric Benson when they had Thomas Jones.
B. I donít think any running back could be ďthat guyĒ behind the Jets OL.

Back in 2004, I wanted the Jets to draft 5-6 offensive linemen. They drafted two. Iím still waiting for the other 3-4.

Now that Iím done ranting on the Jets, Iíll go to the Giants. You donít thinkÖ.. It isnít possible, is itÖ.. Could the Giants actually draft another DE? Why? The Giants lead the league in sacks. And believe me, having watched their games, they pressure the QB even more than that. But they do it by playing to their strengths. They have four good DEís, and they like to put all four on the field at the same time. As a result, they get massive amounts of pressure on opposing QBís almost all of the time. And in todayís league with the rules handicapping DBís as is, that is what you need to do to combat opposing passing games. But if itís working so well, why not keep it up? Why not get someone to replace Strahan should he retire and continue to use 4 DE sets?

Remember when we were all laughing because the Patriots traded a second round pick for the Dolphinís #3 WR and gave him a 30+ million dollar contract? Well, Welker is on pace for a 1200 yard season and I donít think anyone is laughing anymore. Well, maybe Patriots fans are, but theyíre laughing at us. Every time I even talk about the Patriots wide receivers, they scare me. With the way Welker is going, I look at their receivers and see four guys who could be the Patriots #1 WR if need be. I say four, because donít forget the postseason Jabar Gaffney had last year when for two weeks, he morphed into Jerry Rice.

The way I look at it, there is only one man standing in the way of the Patriots running away with it and going 19-0. And that man isÖÖ not Peyton Manning. Itís Bob Sanders. Is there any safety in the league now more disruptive to opposing offenses than this guy?

I owe an apology to Kansas City Chiefs fans. Before the preseason even started, I had them pegged as being on the clock for the 2008 NFL draft. I was wrong.

On the other hand, I think some of the Cincinnati Bengals fans owe me an apology. Because now more than even, Kenny Irons was a wasted pick.

Memo to the Bears FO: See, we were all right, and you were all wrong. Brian Griese > Rex Grossman. If you had figured this out this time last year, maybe you would have had a better shot at beating the Colts.

I feel bad for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Itís clear making David Gerrard the starter was the right decision. Itís also clear (at least to me) that cutting Byron Leftwich was also the right decision as it avoided the possibility of a quarterback controversy. But now the Jaguars get to find out what happens when you donít have a capable backup QB. You knew that wasnít going to go well for Quinn Gray when he completed his first pass to a wide open Bob Sanders.

Thanks for reading. Just felt like I had to get this out there.

Jughead10
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm all for the Giants getting another passrusher in the mid rounds to groom for when Strahan retires. We did get Tuck in the third round, so I wouldn't mind looking in that direction again.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
If the Jets trade Jonathan Vilma, I donít know if I can continue to be a Jets fan. During my time as a Jets fan, there has always been at least one guy I can point at on the team and cheer for. It started with Curtis Martin, changed to John Abraham and eventually Vilma. Well, CuMart and Abraham are gone and there is talk that Vilma is the next to go. If he does, who is there left to cheer for? Pennington? IMO, he shouldnít even be starting. Kerry Rhodes? Rhodes is a pro bowl caliber safety, but he isnít a gamechanger the likes of Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. Yeah, maybe Darren McFadden could be that guy the point at and cheer for butÖ.

I motion to just get rid of Mangini and keep Vilma. Move to a 4-3 like the personel indicates, and get some coaching that won't make Pennington throw out patterns 10 times in a row on a final drive. Heck, maybe they'd even put Clemens in and see what the future does or doesn't hold......

Maybe i'm just a Vilma homer, or maybe i'm just that pissed at Mangini and his stupid dictatorship. i'm not really sure.

bigbluedefense
10-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm all for the Giants getting another passrusher in the mid rounds to groom for when Strahan retires. We did get Tuck in the third round, so I wouldn't mind looking in that direction again.

Well, we drafted Jay Alford with the belief that he would be a situational pass rusher for us on the inside in the future. From what Ive seen, he's actually been impressive doing that during the limited oppurtunities he's had.

But yeah, Id definately go for a day 2 DE just to keep that 4 DE rotation going after Strahan retires. Our nickel 4 man rush is just light years ahead of anyone else in the league.

Dam8610
10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
The way I look at it, there is only one man standing in the way of the Patriots running away with it and going 19-0. And that man isÖÖ not Peyton Manning. Itís Bob Sanders. Is there any safety in the league now more disruptive to opposing offenses than this guy?

Are you sure you want to talk up an undersized, injury prone safety like that?

bearsfan_51
10-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Memo to the Bears FO: See, we were all right, and you were all wrong. Brian Griese > Rex Grossman. If you had figured this out this time last year, maybe you would have had a better shot at beating the Colts.

That was never the issue. Grossman didn't start because he was better than Griese, he started because he was younger than Griese. Sure they're going to say that it's because he gives them the best chance to win, but that was always BS. They felt like Grossman had much higher upside (which of course he does) and that he was the quarterback of the future. The fact that they could keep winning despite him only confirmed this strategy in their eyes.

In other words, it's not a coincidence that when our defense started going south they decided that starting Grossman was no longer a luxury that they could afford.

mqtirishfan
10-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Itís Bob Sanders. Is there any safety in the league now more disruptive to opposing offenses than this guy?

Yes. Their names are Sean Taylor, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.

sdpads24
10-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes. Their names are Sean Taylor, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.

Apparently you haven't seen Bob Sanders play lately. You can't just look at a players madden ratings and think that they're better because they have a higher rating. ( I haven't seen this years madden ratings, but I'm just going to assume that Taylor, Reed, and Polamalu's ratings are higher than Bob Sanders.)

no love
10-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Apparently you haven't seen Bob Sanders play lately. You can't just look at a players madden ratings and think that they're better because they have a higher rating. ( I haven't seen this years madden ratings, but I'm just going to assume that Taylor, Reed, and Polamalu's ratings are higher than Bob Sanders.)

Apparently you haven't seen Reed, Taylor or Polamalu play. Because one could make a case for any of those guys that they are the best game changers at the safety position. And they have all played great this year.

Reed gets a ton of picks each year and is a instant weapon every time he gets his hands of the ball.

Taylor is probably as good in run support as Sanders but is a much more versatile player.

Polamalu plays a lot like Bob Sanders, but in a scheme that highlights him more.

Besides. Who said anything about a madden rating. Couldn't it be possible that people actually think that these guys are better because they are the best safetys in the game. If you are going by Madden rating people would be all over the likes of Roy Williams.

WMD
10-27-2007, 06:41 AM

Just dump the Jets and jump on the Lions bandwagon.. We'll be the ones that trade for Vilma! Plus, you can cheer for Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Ernie Sims, Shaun Rogers, and Kevin Jones!

mqtirishfan
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM

You could not by any wronger. For one thing, Sanders has a 97 rating right now in Madden. That puts him behind only Ed Reed, I believe. Also, I have seen all four of these safties play this year, and Sean Taylor has made the biggest difference in my opinion. Taylor is awesome in run support, and this year, he breaks on the ball as well as any safety I've seen this year, and he's far more athletic than Sanders is. I think Reed and Taylor are in a world of their own right now.

sdpads24
10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
You could not by any wronger. For one thing, Sanders has a 97 rating right now in Madden. That puts him behind only Ed Reed, I believe. Also, I have seen all four of these safties play this year, and Sean Taylor has made the biggest difference in my opinion. Taylor is awesome in run support, and this year, he breaks on the ball as well as any safety I've seen this year, and he's far more athletic than Sanders is. I think Reed and Taylor are in a world of their own right now.

Okay, I'm sorry about the madden rating thing, it's been a while since i've played that game. What I'm trying to say is that Sanders hasn't got enough credit for what he's done for the Colts defense. Their defense is arguably one of the best in the league right now and Sanders has been their main contributer. I'm not taking anything away from the likes of Reed, Taylor, or Polamalu, I just think that Sanders has meant the most to his team this season.

mqtirishfan
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Okay, I'm sorry about the madden rating thing, it's been a while since i've played that game. What I'm trying to say is that Sanders hasn't got enough credit for what he's done for the Colts defense. Their defense is arguably one of the best in the league right now and Sanders has been their main contributer. I'm not taking anything away from the likes of Reed, Taylor, or Polamalu, I just think that Sanders has meant the most to his team this season.

Likewise, I'm not taking anything away from Sanders, I just feel that Taylor, Reed and Polamalu mean more to their teams. They're all fantastic safties.

The Unseen
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM

I could really care less about players to cheer for. I'll be a Jaguars fan if they're 0-16 and their best player is a 79 on Madden.

Vikes99ej
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Why does Mario Williams only have 3 sacks right now? Everyone was on his junk after week, talking about how he's starting to release his beastliness.

keylime_5
10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Mangini's 3-4 sucks for Vilma, and they're not gonna change the system just b/c of 1 player, so it's bad for the Jets that they can't use a great MLB like Vilma properly. He was amazing when they had Edwards as coach.

I think the Jets should and will take Darren McFadden next April. Not only is he a talent who will probably be one of the 5 best RBs in the game by his second year in the league, but he will be THE guy in New York and a gamechanger on offense. Thomas Jones is good, and if Cedric Benson was as good as McFadden's gonna be then Jones would've been had for a lot less than what they gave up for him.

Hands
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I havn't seen much of Reed or Polamalu this year, but I have watched every Colts and Skins game and know that Sanders is much more disruptive and is much more valuable to his team than Taylor.

Those saying Taylor has been great in run support must have been watching some older tapes. He's been excellent when runs are getting into the second level, but Washington is finally using his playmaking abilities and using him more like Baltimore uses Reed. They're just letting him hang out deep in CF. He's been great there. A lot of his INTs have been absolute gimme's, but he should have about 6 more too. He had 2 vs the Pack and I think got both hands on 4 more balls that he dropped. He's also been laying the lumber on WR's going up. He's been extremely fun to watch this year, but he's not quite on the same level as what Bob is doing.

Sanders has just been all over the place. He's been dominant in the passing game, and he's the key to the Colts stopping the run. That read he made and the lateral move to stop MJD for a loss on 4th and 1 on Monday night was a thing of beauty. His big flaw is that he may have the worst hands in the NFL. If he just had average hands he'd have a half dozen INTs by now. With the sack numbers Osi is putting up he's making a case, and Demeco Ryans has just been a beast, but if Sanders stays healthy with the amount of press he's getting now and sure to get if he does something special in the Pats game he's looking good for DPOY right now.