PDA

View Full Version : Felix Jones

DaSuperfan
10-27-2007, 03:23 AM
How good is this guy? I've a little bit of him, he showed me that he has great speed, but seemed like he was a straight line runner with not much cut back ability. I haven't watched him play that much and understand that he plays behind the best back in the country in McFadden. But what is the general consensus about how he projects at the next level. Could he be a successful featured RB in the NFL?

D-Unit
10-27-2007, 04:45 AM
I don't like his running style a lot. But guys like Kiper and McShay have him rated really high... as in 2nd best RB in the draft. Kiper recently said in a chat that Felix is a top 10-15 pick right now... key word, "right now". lol. It's gotta be bogus as I don't see Felix jumping ahead of Jonathan Stewart.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I'll be honest with you, I'm sure I am the only one who feels this way, but I put Felix Jones just slightly above Jamaal Charles.

Sniper
10-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I'll be honest with you, I'm sure I am the only one who feels this way, but I put Felix Jones just slightly above Jamaal Charles.

I do too....

BuddyCHRIST
10-27-2007, 11:16 AM
he's the real deal, awesome speed pretty good size and strength with the frame to get up to atleast 215 range. Runs pretty physical too. Don't think his stats are just a result of him coming in after McFadden where's em down, because they rotate throughout the whole game.

SuperKevin
10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I think Jones could be a good NFL back in the mold of a Jerious Norwood type of runner. He has excellent speed and vision but will offer nothing in terms of Yards after contact

JDB7821
10-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I think Jones could be a good NFL back in the mold of a Jerious Norwood type of runner. He has excellent speed and vision but will offer nothing in terms of Yards after contact

Norwood lowers his shoulder and delivers a blow almost every time he runs the ball. He has more than speed.

Primetime21
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Norwood lowers his shoulder and delivers a blow almost every time he runs the ball. He has more than speed.

Kev never said Norwood just has speed its just like Jones, both go down by arm tackles and wont run anyone over in the NFL.

Great comparison. You can even add cut ability since both make spectacular cuts . Felix should be drafted higher than Norwood with Jones returning ability and being a home run threat every time he touches ball some team will draft him high in the 2nd.

Really hoping for him to fall to Seahawks 2nd round pick.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure if Jones has Norwood's straight line speed, but overall I think that's a pretty solid comparison.

I'm a pretty big Jones fan. I love what I see from him when he runs, and while I doubt that he has a future as a feature NFL back, any team willing to switch it up in the backfield should take a good long look at the kid. Depending on how he times, he could sneak into the first.

keylime_5
10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I love Felix Jones, I think he'll be a better pro than Slaton and Stewart (who will probably get hurt more in the NFL anyways). He reminds me of a shiftier Joseph Addai or a Jerious Norwood type. He'll probably not go until late round 1 at the earliest though if we have a RB class with McFadden, Slaton, Stewart, Mendenhall even, and Felix all being round 1 type talents.

keylime_5
10-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Yards after contact is a very underated stat in the NFL. Reggie Bush is nothing after contact yet went #2 overall...Steve Slaton is even worse after contact than Bush and will probably go RD1 too.

But Jones is more of a homerun threat than McFadden even which is saying a lot.

PACKmanN
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I want to see Jones play a season without McFadden, I have mixed feelings for him.

BamaFalcon59
10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Kev never said Norwood just has speed its just like Jones, both go down by arm tackles and wont run anyone over in the NFL.

Great comparison. You can even add cut ability since both make spectacular cuts . Felix should be drafted higher than Norwood with Jones returning ability and being a home run threat every time he touches ball some team will draft him high in the 2nd.

Really hoping for him to fall to Seahawks 2nd round pick.

Wow, talk about steriotypes. Norwood does lower his shoulder and arm tackles generally do not bring him down. DBs have a lot of trouble tackling him.

BamaFalcon59
10-27-2007, 04:26 PM

Umm, what? Norwood gets yards after contact a lot. Like on almost any run he makes contact. DBs have a lot of trouble tackling him.

Addict
10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Umm, what? Norwood gets yards after contact a lot. Like on almost any run he makes contact. DBs have a lot of trouble tackling him.

did you just copypaste your answer to respond to two seperate posts seperately?

dcarey20
10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Jones is good. Really good. I love what he brings to the table. I know it gets said alot, but if he didn't have McFadden in front of him, he may have had all that Heisman hype. Teams have said that he scares them more than McFadden. He could be a legit 1st rounder, and I have him as my #2 back behind his teammated.

Right now these would be my top 5 backs, given they enter the draft.

1.) Darren McFadden, Arkansas: What can you say that hasn't been said? McFadden is the consensus #1 and I'm that high on him. Some feel he's overhyped a bit, and that may be true to an extent, but he's my #1 prospect if he enters.

2.) Felix Jones, Arkansas: The aforementioned Jones is no slouch compared to DMC. Has a ridiculous skill set. Runs bigger than his 200 pound frame and has the home run speed. He's just one of those guys who you want to get the ball to. Can double as a kick returner. Is averaging nearly 10 yards a carry right now. One of my favorite players in the country, I'd spend a top 20 pick on the guy.

3.) Steve Slaton, WVU: Alot of people think that Slaton's game won't translate to the pros, and I strongly disagree. He's been one of the most productive backs in the nation over the past few seasons and he scares me as much as anyone. Obviously has the speed but he can catch the ball and his ability to carry the load is underappreciated. I think he can succeed in a variety of schemes at the next level, but if he gets to a team with a coordinator that can utilize his strengths, watch out. Another guy who I'd spend a top 20 pick on.

4.) Jonathan Stewart, Oregon: Alot of people are high on Stewart, and with his size and ability, it's not surprising. I'm not as high as some, I feel Stewart has a bit to go and while he's been great this year, I don't think he plays to his full potential at time. A late first round prospect for me.

5.) James Davis, Clemson: James Davis doesn't get alot of hype, some of that is because of his teammate C.J. Spiller, who by the way he has far, far outshined this season, and some is because he's just not flashy. But Davis is the type of player that I'd love to have. He's powerful, fights for every yard, and is just an all around workhorse. Also does a nice job of accelerating into his cuts. I'd take him as early as the 35th to 40th picks if he indeed comes out.

bearsfan_51
10-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I agree with the post above me. As a pro prospect I would definately take Jones over Stewart.

d34ng3l021
10-28-2007, 02:42 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bHlQEMDMydc

He had a better highlight, but it got taken down. He doesnt get taken down by just arm tackles and such. He has alot of strength for a guy like him.

SenorGato
10-28-2007, 03:27 AM
He reminds me of Cadillac Williams. His legs aren't huge, but they're stronger than they look. He runs hard for a lighter back.

I like Jon Stewart better though, and I think he could use another year in school.

Smokey Joe
10-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I think I'd rate the draft eligible running backs right now as...

1. Darren McFadden
2. Felix Jones
3. Jon Stewart
4. Jamal Charles
5. Rashard Mendenhall
6. Steve Slaton
7. James Davis
8. Ray Rice

Man, this 09 RB class is sick.

bernbabybern820
10-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I want to see Jones play a season without McFadden, I have mixed feelings for him.

Like another previous poster said, Felix doesnt just wait for McFadden to wear the defense down. Felix comes into the game pretty early many times.