PDA

View Full Version : Darren McFadden

nvot9
10-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I did a search and didn't find any threads on him (other than in the Jets forum, which is more pertaining to him as a Jet rather than scouting him).

I was just wondering if anyone had any honest opinions on him, I'm not really looking for all this hyped up mumbo jumbo about how he's the best RB ever, I'd like a scouting report if you will, on him. What are his pros and cons. What's he lookin like as a pro? I'm interested in the chance the he will be a bust, all that good stuff. I realize it's early in the year, but as of now...

Thanks.

SuperKevin
10-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I did a search and didn't find any threads on him (other than in the Jets forum, which is more pertaining to him as a Jet rather than scouting him).

I was just wondering if anyone had any honest opinions on him, I'm not really looking for all this hyped up mumbo jumbo about how he's the best RB ever, I'd like a scouting report if you will, on him. What are his pros and cons. What's he lookin like as a pro? I'm interested in the chance the he will be a bust, all that good stuff. I realize it's early in the year, but as of now...

Thanks.

I like his combination of speed and power as well as his trick play possibility. He's a little tall for my liking though as he's going to get cut a ton in the pros

Solomon
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
DMac has a strong, lean frame, probably capable of adding an extra 10 lbs once he hits the pros without losing speed(could play at about 215 lbs). Terrific acceleration and balance and can take the ball off tackle and between G/T and G/C very well (i.e can run inside and out). Does a good job of pumping his legs going into contact and can keep the pile moving. When at top speed he can punish defenders going into contact although when he sometimes slows down to dance he can get cracked off by tacklers.
DM can also be utilized in a variety of ways as a receiver and as a passer on trick plays. He has good hands for the catch and catches the ball well away from his body in the few instances that I've noticed however he needs to work on his routes. Another small quibble but not much of a blocker. He runs upright as many people point out but so far hasn't shown a history of nagging injuries and he is able to make sharp cuts despite not keeping his centre of gravity low. A small problem at the begining of last year was character issues after the fight he was involved in however he's kept his nose clean since and hasn't shown a propensity for such incidents. One very interesting thing to notice about DMac is his offense at Arkansas, he often starts and gets the ball very deep in the backfield which allows for holes to develop in his line. IN the NFL he is going to be taking handoffs closer to the line and it will be harder for him to read the holes that open up, right now he seems to have good vision but he will have a bit of a learning curve in the NFL.

Overall DMac is a very good RB prospect, definitly a top 5 overall pick. His flaws are minor and are shared by almost all college RBs entering the draft. I see Edgerrin James as his closest pro comparison.

Cashmoney
10-28-2007, 01:23 AM
his running style kind of reminds me of chris brown which makes me think he might get hurt alot.

BucSappy
10-28-2007, 02:22 AM
I think he will be a Bengal, I really do. I think they pick around 5-7 and pass up on Kenny Phillips for McFadden (if Calais Campbell is off the board).