PDA

View Full Version : Our offensive line

nvot9
10-28-2007, 09:23 AM
What's gunna be done with it? I still think it's horrendous up and down, I mean there's 5 positions on the OL and we've got 2 that we're solid at...

Some necessities I believe we need to fix going into the next season:

We NEED to sign Alan Faneca. Getting one of the best G's in football for whatever reason, is always bound to help, but more importantly it will help the two people he would play next to even more, those two being D'Brick and Mangold. The reason D'Brick's not dominating (although I truly believe he's having one hell of a second year, I've watched every play of every down of him playing this year) is because he's always playing scared, scared that he might have to attempt to block two people, assuming the LG's block as well. Faneca will be such an aid to him that it will lead to many many pro-bowls for him.

Draft an RT: I would not be pissed if we drafted Jake Long with our first round pick. He grades about as good as D'Brick did, and he can play RT. This is what we need. Imagine having two of the best prospects in the draft let alone on the OL in each of their respective year...we'd be on our way to a dominant offense.

throwback54milkman
10-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I would not be ok drafting another o-lineman in the first round. Our defense is pretty much pathetic and if you look at it, our o-line has been very good in pass protection this year and better in the past few weeks in run blocking. Yes, we need a LG, but to say its our top need in FA and the draft is crazy.

nvot9
10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Good point...

But again, notice I didn't say I'd like if we went for Jake, just wouldn't be pissed. I do thing though, that Faneca would be a huge +

derza222
10-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be pissed with long either. But I do think we're going to give Bender a shot to compete for a starting job at one spot or another next year, and that position is probably LG. He may not be completely ready yet, so if we signed Faneca to something like a 2 year contract I think that would be ideal. With the right tackle spot, I wouldn't be pissed either (especially depending on who's available) if we chose Long, but it probably does make more sense to look in that direction in the second or third.

Crickett
12-08-2007, 07:29 PM
What's gunna be done with it? I still think it's horrendous up and down, I mean there's 5 positions on the OL and we've got 2 that we're solid at...

Some necessities I believe we need to fix going into the next season:

We NEED to sign Alan Faneca. Getting one of the best G's in football for whatever reason, is always bound to help, but more importantly it will help the two people he would play next to even more, those two being D'Brick and Mangold. The reason D'Brick's not dominating (although I truly believe he's having one hell of a second year, I've watched every play of every down of him playing this year) is because he's always playing scared, scared that he might have to attempt to block two people, assuming the LG's block as well. Faneca will be such an aid to him that it will lead to many many pro-bowls for him.

Draft an RT: I would not be pissed if we drafted Jake Long with our first round pick. He grades about as good as D'Brick did, and he can play RT. This is what we need. Imagine having two of the best prospects in the draft let alone on the OL in each of their respective year...we'd be on our way to a dominant offense.

I completely agree with everything you wrote in the Alan Faneca paragraph. And you're right. D'Brick does have to worry about blocking two guys and he knows it.

As for right tackle, I don't want to see the Jets draft Long as I see a top five pick as way too early for a position that can be effectively addressed in the second or third rounds. It might be another story if the Jets were drafting in the bottom half of the round or if they could trade down. But as it stands now, I hope they don't draft Jake Long. Especially considering the money they're going to have to dole out to get Faneca.

BroadwayJoe10
12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm gonna agree that I wouldn't want to draft Jake Long that high, but for me it is more of a money issue. I think he is very talented, but being a top 5 pick he'll end up getting paid quite a bit. However, if people start to feel that he can't play LT in the NFL and he can only play RT and we can somehow get him in the middle of the 1st round by trading down than thats a different story.

Right now, I dont see us ending up in the top 5, i've said for a while i think we'll be drafting more towards the 7, 8, 9 10 slots. I think once we know our position isn't in the top 5, there won't be so much speculation with who we will be taking, becuase most of the people will be gone. I feel another large part of the issue will be if we move any players and get any additional picks. If for some reason we end up getting another 1st or 2nd or whatever, we can take a look at the board and see where we are projecting guys.

As for faneca, i'm not opposed to it, but I beleive it was HCBRAD who said something earlier about last year was stastically his worst year (although it could have been due to overall poor play of the team), we should be careful before entering a bidding war with another team. I think another guy on PITT to give a look at in FA would be Max starks.

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 08:13 PM
edit: ten leters

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 08:13 PM
edit: ten letters

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_ld8HqTctjAg/RxI7VZjn7JI/AAAAAAAAAjY/pTfNTEfd6oo/s1600-h/britney_spears_slike_sexy_5_.jpg

BroadwayJoe10
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Have no idea what happened here, the link the site went down or something. My bad guys.