PDA

View Full Version : Michael Griffin....

Pit Bull #53
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
....will be starting at FS today!

TitanHope
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Whoo! 4 TOT's! I didn't watch the 1st half, but I saw the 2nd. Griffin didn't really stand out, but it can be taken with the good and bad. He didn't make a great play, but he didn't give up the big one. And for his 1st game, I'll gladly take that.

Griffin and Hope, who had 6 TOT's and 1 INT (Hellz Yeahz!!!), will provide the best safety tandem in the AFC South.

Pit Bull #53
10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
It will take him a game or two to get into the flow of the defense.

He was missed alot on special teams coverage though. We need to either sign or draft a fast DB that can be a monster on kick coverage.

TitanHope
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
He's been taken off of kick coverage duties? That'd be a bad move...

Pit Bull #53
10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
It was very noticeable, too.

Before today, seemed like every punt/kickoff was fielded with Griff bearing right down on the return man. He was the first guy there all the time.

We need someone like Michael "The Rabbit" Waddell out there as a gunner. Sure he sucked as a CB but he was fast as blazes and was a great gunner before he tore his knee up. Lowry seemed to be making a few ST tackles out there today, but they were noticeably farther downfield. He just doesn't have the straight line speed of Griff.

While we're on special teams, we really need a KOR. Chris Davis is not good on kickoffs. He's quick and shifty and all, but it is clear as day that he can't kick it into that extra gear and the first guy always takes him down.

I might even try Chris Henry out back there if he's not gonna get any more than 4-5 carries.

Cashmoney
10-29-2007, 12:00 AM
griff is the man, glad the fish wised up and put him at S instead of CB.

Turtlepower
10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
griff is the man, glad the fish wised up and put him at S instead of CB.

I think he will be a great ballhawk for you guys at FS. I never understood the reasoning to switch him to CB, but it is definitely the right move for you guys.

TitanHope
10-29-2007, 06:12 AM
OzTitan pointed out an excellent reason as to why he thought that the coaches didn't play him at Free Safety immediately.

He said that when they drafted Griff, they had planned to play him as the replacement for either Calvin Lowry at FS or Cortland Finnegan at CB, depending on which one struggled most. This was to be on the safest. If we drafted Griffin and said that he would play FS the entire time and kept him at that position, then what happens if Lowry is playing great? We'd have to bench one player for the other, and we all know the rookie wouldn't play over the veteran. And on top of that, what happens if Lowry is playing well and Finnegan is playing horrible? We'd have 2 great FS and one bum CB, and the fans would be going, "Why?! Why didn't they draft Aaron Ross?!" So they put Griffin at CB initially to build up his coverage skills just incase he needed to play some CB, and since he played S for the bulk of his career at Texas, he didn't really need to work on his craft there.