PDA

View Full Version : Todd Boeckman

bored of education
10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Where does his stand rankings wise?
I know his lack of experience is his only down fall.
Can make every throw, seems like pressure doesnt effect him at all, big frame and deal with pocket pressure and has that FEEL.

I think he could be something verry good at the next level.

bearsfan_51
10-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Are you talking about in 2009?

It's a weak QB class, so at this point I would consider him a first day guy.

P-L
10-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Isn't he going to be 25 or 26 when he comes out?

Primetime21
Not to mention he is sneaky athletic.

bored of education
yeah. Even is age doesnt bother me. he will be so much more mature and able to make the transition.

Iamcanadian
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
He really hasn't been tested as it is a very down year in the Big 10. Until he plays a team that can put real pressure on him we don't know how he reacts in that situation. Right now his great OL keeps him clean and he may be way overrated. We'll have to see how he plays against a good team in his Bowl game.

keylime_5
10-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Not sure what kind of pro Boeckman will be, even though I love the Bucks I gotta say that even though he's doing well here I'm not certain he'll even be in the league 4 years from now. But he makes some of his best throws while he's getting hit or about to get hit and is huge with a good arm who can excel in the right offense fwiw.

Freddy G
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Does he have like a 4.6 forty???? Obviously he isn't much of a runner, but i think i heard or read that somewhere. Something about he was actaully faster than Troy Smith.

Anyway, he seems to have a decent arm. Good deep ball, but zip could be better. Can't tell about his pocket presence, as there is always a pocket.

gstock05
10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I think his biggest weakness will be his age when he comes out. Right now, he's improving every weak, and has shown Krenzel-esque type poise in the pocket. In addition to that, he's a very good leader.

Comparing him to Troy Smith right NOW..

Pro's

1. More accurate
2. Better deep ball
3. Taller
4. Better touch on his passes.

Cons

1. Not as good decision making... yet
2. Not the playmaker Troy Was
3. Not a statue, but isn't a threat running
4. Older...

When thinking about the NFL comparisons, he does remind me of Tom Brady. A CNNSI article mentioned that, and I think it's a great comparison. But not the college Tom Brady... I would throw in a Bledsoe comparison too, but I dont think he has quite the arm strength. But he's a very good downfield passer and is improving very quickly every week.

Regardless, he's going to be here another year and we'll see where he stands after 2009.

fischbowl
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Does he have like a 4.6 forty???? Obviously he isn't much of a runner, but i think i heard or read that somewhere. Something about he was actaully faster than Troy Smith.

Anyway, he seems to have a decent arm. Good deep ball, but zip could be better. Can't tell about his pocket presence, as there is always a pocket.

I read that same thing in Phil Steele's magazine

Race for the Heisman
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I think his biggest weakness will be his age when he comes out. Right now, he's improving every weak, and has shown Krenzel-esque type poise in the pocket. In addition to that, he's a very good leader.

Comparing him to Troy Smith right NOW..

Pro's

1. More accurate
4. Better touch on his passes.

I disagree with these two points. Troy showed great accuracy and touch his senior year, while only a couple of games ago Boeckman was regularly slightly misplacing passes or having a few sail a bit. That's not to take away from Boeckman, he has very good accuracy and touch, I just feel Troy is/was superior in those aspects.

Otherwise, he is about .1 (40-wise) faster than Troy is, but he doesn't have the wiggle Troy has. Other than that, he's got a prototypical body, a good enough arm, and his experiences, being a guy who waited for a long time and remained acceptant of his place, should probably prompt someone to take a chance on him, at the very least as a groomable back-up. He's probably a third rounder at best barring drastic improvements in his play due to his age, but he might be a second-round talent if all goes well.

Travis 24
10-30-2007, 02:01 PM
From what I've seen...he has a pretty weak arm..

ThePudge
10-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Joke? or not?

Gchu83
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Too early to tell IMO. He looks good but we need to see what he can do against stronger teams.

CLong4Heisman
10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Since when is Penn State's defense weak?

SchizophrenicBatman
10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
At the very least, he could be a solid back up. There are some awful #2 QBs in the league that I expect he'd be better than. Also, the 2009 QB class is terrible so he might sneak into the 2nd round.

He'll be 25 his rookie year. A little old, but not quite John Beck range. And age sure didnt hurt Beck that much

sweetd20
10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
He still has quite a bit of improving he needs to show but he has been looking better and better every week. His pocket presence each week is what stands out to me. He looks to be gaining that sixth sense that the good QBs have of when to scramble out to buy time or step up into the pocket to make the throw downfield. Boeckman is the kind of QB that a guy like Martz would love to get his hands on a groom into his type of QB.

sodar21
10-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Hes had a few boneheaded moments but one thing that stood out to me was that he does a pretty good job of getting the ball out even when he knows hes about to get clobbered. I've seem him throw a number of perfect midrange passes just as he got annihilated by multiple defenders.

Sniper
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM

If by weak you mean a gun, yes, you're correct.

Travis 24
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
How come every QB has a "gun"...Someone on here tried telling me Chad Henne has a fast release too...so just stop pretending like you're right all the time.

Sniper
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
How come every QB has a "gun"...Someone on here tried telling me Chad Henne has a fast release too...so just stop pretending like you're right all the time.

No one said Chad had a fast release slugger. I said he's got a strong arm. Let's stop pretending you're right at any time. Make sure you get your facts straight. Watch Boeckman play, the kid can throw.

A Perfect Score
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM

there is a big differance between having a so called "gun" and having a fast release...there are plenty of Qbs who have less then stellar arm strength (ie drew brees) yet have a very fast release, and plenty of qbs who have a howitzer for an arm but have a huge windup release (ie byron leftwich). Before throwing terms around, make sure you know wat you are talking about. Chad Henne does have a slow release, but he also has a strong arm. So yeah, he has a gun, no one said anything about anyones release on here, even relating to Boeckman. They just said he had a strong arm. Posts like this just annoy me

keylime_5
10-31-2007, 09:25 AM
For a college QB, Todd has a very nice arm. Once he gets to the NFL where every QB has a good arm, Todd's will be considered average (ala Bulger, Hasselbeck, Trent Green, Delhomme, etc.). Lots of people are going ga-ga over the Tom Brady comparison.

gstock05
10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I loved Troy more than anybody, and would trade Boeckman for him THIS season no doubt.

However, there were certainly times when his accuracy wasn't up to par. Watch PSU 2006 or a few other games. He is a great player, but he would sail balls high every once in a while, and probably isnt as good at the deep ball as Todd is.

gstock05
10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
For a good comparison, I liken Troy a lot to Jeff Garcia. A guy who can move around, dink and dunk, make plays, and get the ball to his playmakers. IMO he'd play best in the NFL in a west coast offense... too bad Tampa didn't pick him.

BrownsTown
10-31-2007, 02:22 PM
For a good comparison, I liken Troy a lot to Jeff Garcia. A guy who can move around, dink and dunk, make plays, and get the ball to his playmakers. IMO he'd play best in the NFL in a west coast offense... too bad Tampa didn't pick him.

Dink and dunk? You're an Ohio State fan, so I gotta ask what's up, Boeckman is certainly not a "dink and dunk" QB.

OhioState
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Dink and dunk? You're an Ohio State fan, so I gotta ask what's up, Boeckman is certainly not a "dink and dunk" QB.

he's reffering to Troy Smith i think

BrownsTown
10-31-2007, 03:21 PM
he's reffering to Troy Smith i think

This is my bad. I usually don't read all the posts. Nice catch.

Travis 24
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
No one said Chad had a fast release slugger. I said he's got a strong arm. Let's stop pretending you're right at any time. Make sure you get your facts straight. Watch Boeckman play, the kid can throw.

Nope...someone said Henne has a fast release, and someone also said Henne throws "the best deep ball in the country". People make so much **** up on here, and try to pretend its true. I've seen Boeckman play...his arm is not THAT strong.

BTW, someone on here a while ago, told me John Beck has a "weak arm"...so I just don't really listen to what people on here say...and was also told he was a "day 2 pick at best"...sooo...

Sniper
10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Nope...someone said Henne has a fast release, and someone also said Henne throws "the best deep ball in the country". People make so much **** up on here, and try to pretend its true. I've seen Boeckman play...his arm is not THAT strong.

BTW, someone on here a while ago, told me John Beck has a "weak arm"...so I just don't really listen to what people on here say...and was also told he was a "day 2 pick at best"...sooo...

Well Henne does throw the sexiest deep ball in college. Rainbows baby, rainbows.