PDA

View Full Version : Is Alex Smith a bust?

49ersfan_87
10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
This is his 3rd year in the NFL. He was awful his first season, started out hot in his 2nd season and then cooled down to a mediocre 16 td-16 int season. Now he has looked average at best with a terrible game yesterday (although his shoulder is still hurting). He has thrown 2 TD's this season, both coming in garbage time when the game was long out of reach.

He has had no stability at OC- Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner both left for HC jobs, and Jim Hostler is terrible and likely will be fired at the end of the season, if he doesnt get canned before it ends. He has had some bad WR corps but is it Smith making them look bad or vice versa?

I just wanted some unbiased opinions on this matter. Do people think Smith will be good, and if so, will it be with the Niners, or does he need a fresh start?

DMWSackMachine
10-29-2007, 02:40 PM
He needs a solid mentor to work with him. It is the stock response, but in this case its very true: Norv leaving was the worst thing that could have happened for his development.

I still think he can be an upper-echelon starter, but he needs a QB guru to help him, and he needs more weapons around him.

Addict
10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Too soon. He was very young coming to a very poor team and hasn't had a quality receiver to throw at since he got to the NFL, and zero consistency from a coaching perspective.

I think with some time he could turn out nicely, but they NEED to get him some pass-catchers.

bored of education
10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I think to determine if a guy, who was drafted as a work in progress type like A. Smith, J. Russell, J.P Losman, is a bust you cannot put a measure of time on him. It's tougher to put the bust tag on them, e.g. Kyle Boller was a bust because he was supposed to come in right away and be a godsend. But I think Boller still has a chance to do something. David Carr=BUST. He can rejuvinate his career somehow someway. But A. Smith no. I think A. Smith was drafted as a project pick. It was going to take 3-5 yers before he beame a legit NFL starter.

When you draft you msut distinguish the two. Project or RIGHT NOW WE NEED THIS GUY. Right now we need this type QB's are rare.

cordscords
10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Too early to tell. He's still a raw QB and playing with a young team that has potential, but isnt quite there yet.

I think the 2008 season is his make or break year.

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm gonna say yes...

However, I am basing that on him being a #1 pick.

I think he can be a decent player, he just needs a good receiver, he has no one at receiver to compliment Vernon Davis.

Mr. Stiller
10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Isn't he still the Youngest Starting QB in the league after 2 seasons?

He has a long career ahead of him and he should be on track when you think of the age most guys started.

If the Average Starting 1st year QB is 23-24.. Smith should be well ahead of them come that time (isn't he 21/22?)

Even then he still doesn't have a great defense.

I think if the defense would actually help him, he wouldn't feel as if he has to win every game himself.

neko4
10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Too early. Especially since Norv screwed him, he's got a bad line, and average recievers. Hopefully he and Davis will develop chemistry when theyre both healthy and play a close to full year together.

zCaddyz
10-29-2007, 05:02 PM
the real alex smith for the bucs is not a bust, at least he'll carry the name on

OregonDucks
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
He was from day 1

soybean
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll say yes.

his hands are small, and he makes poor decisions. I really don't see him getting over that hump.

HoopsDemon12
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
is tiny hands an nfl bust? i think he is on his way for sure...

A Perfect Score
10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
well to be honest, i was never really a fan of the pick...i thought aaron rodgers was more pro-ready and i thought braylon edwards was the only player worthy of going #1 overall that year. Then again, it doesnt make much sense to draft a WR when you dont have someone to throw him the ball (see Johnson, Calvin). But thats a whole other issue lol. As far as Smith goes, its hard to call him a bust because he is young, he has had it very rough in San Fran, and he is lacking big time for weapons and blocking. I give him a little more time before i call him a bust, its not like he hasnt shown potential or anything.

bearsfan_51
10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
It's a complicated answer. That was a terrible draft, so there's really nobody else they could have taken (Aaron Rodgers? Psshh...)

That said, he'll never justify the money he was given.

neko4
10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Right now Jason Campbell is prbably the best QB from that class.

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Right now Jason Campbell is prbably the best QB from that class.

DEREK ANDERSON BABY

Turtlepower
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
He has had to deal with 3 different offenses in 4 years. Give him at least 3 years with 1 OC and then we will see how he does. I have never really liked him as a prospect, but he has never had a stable offense to work with.

BlindSite
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Here's the facts. Right now, he's exactly 23 years of age. Brady Quinn is a rookie at that age.

Next year Alex Smith should be playing at pretty decent levels for being the same age as most sophmore/rookie QBs.

That's damn good.

He's never had an OC for longer than a season, has never had a really solid pass blocking offensive line and hasn't exactly got stellar receivers. When he finally did get receivers he got a crappy offensive coordinator.

He's a good young QB, when I watch him I definitely see a player with the "it" factor they need to succeed, the same kind of moxie I see from all successful QBs. I also see a lot of accuracy, intelligence, leadership and aggression. All great characteristics. What he needs is support. If 49ers fans think he's a bust, please, offer him to carolina for a trade.

neko4
10-29-2007, 05:42 PM
DEREK ANDERSON BABY
He was drafted a year later

The Dynasty
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
He was drafted a year later

he was '05, i was going through my sports card and noticed i had a jersey card of his from college.

bigbluedefense
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
I can't say yes or no just yet. Its not fair to Smith. Look, he needs more time and more help.

His offensive line isnt that great, and he doesn't have great weapons. At the same time however, he hasn't done anything in particular that makes you say wow, this kid has potential.

Having that said however, I think he has the ability to be an upper level (top 10) qb in this league, I don't see anything above and beyond that, but thats good enough to win games and thats all that matters.

But he needs help. I am not a fan of the 49ers offseasons the past couple of years.

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
DEREK ANDERSON BABY

http://thenexttombrady.ytmnd.com/

OWNED...

I easily put together the dumbest thing ever with the worst song ever.

TAKE THAT NFLDC YOU HAVE BEEN PUT ON TILT.

The Dynasty
10-29-2007, 06:10 PM
http://thenexttombrady.ytmnd.com/

OWNED...

I easily put together the dumbest thing ever with the worst song ever.

TAKE THAT NFLDC YOU HAVE BEEN PUT ON TILT.

Haha, I like to go on ytmnd at the times.

But I do think Alex Smith is 75% bust right now.

Basileus777
10-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm gonna say yes...

However, I am basing that on him being a #1 pick.

I think he can be a decent player, he just needs a good receiver, he has no one at receiver to compliment Vernon Davis.

Vernon Davis himself hasn't proven to be anything special yet (unless you count stone hands). Smith doesn't have any weapons in the passing game.

no love
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Here's the facts. Right now, he's exactly 23 years of age. Brady Quinn is a rookie at that age.

Next year Alex Smith should be playing at pretty decent levels for being the same age as most sophmore/rookie QBs.

That's damn good.

He's never had an OC for longer than a season, has never had a really solid pass blocking offensive line and hasn't exactly got stellar receivers. When he finally did get receivers he got a crappy offensive coordinator.

He's a good young QB, when I watch him I definitely see a player with the "it" factor they need to succeed, the same kind of moxie I see from all successful QBs. I also see a lot of accuracy, intelligence, leadership and aggression. All great characteristics. What he needs is support. If 49ers fans think he's a bust, please, offer him to carolina for a trade.

Great points. I think he will be a great field general in a year or two, the only question is will he be around to show it. The greatest thing about Alex is that he seems to play his best in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. A majority of his wins have come like this.

I think Alex is just starting to learn now what it is to be a qb in this league. The first two years he spent trying to learn how to play qb, let alone at an NFL level. He definitely has the talent and he finally has the fundamentals, now he just needs to learn to let loose a little bit and let the ball fly.

CC.SD
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Derek Anderson IS the best QB from that class. Awesome! Drew Brees 2: the Breesening.

keylime_5
10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Not yet, too early to tell. You know Colt Brennan who is still in college is older than Alex Smith. Give Smith 2 or 3 more years before we kick him aside, but he is on his way to being a bust at this rate.

ninerfan
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
He needs a couple of years but I'm afraid with the 9ers team this year he'll get killed before he hits his prime - much like Carr in Houston. Both can play to some level but players just wear out their opportunities and get moved on - I'd hate top see Alex let go and then starring for someone else. Get some decent ******* recievers, a decent ******* OC and then we'll see.

BlindSite
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd like to see Smith with some stability, imo if he was under norv turner for a couple of years he'd be a probowler.

#1chiefs_fan
10-30-2007, 05:13 AM
The thing I don't get about Alex Smith is how he doesn't get heat from the media, he hasn't lived to a number 1 overall pick or shown signs of being one, its like people forget he was the first overall pick in the draft.

Addict
10-30-2007, 05:20 AM
The thing I don't get about Alex Smith is how he doesn't get heat from the media, he hasn't lived to a number 1 overall pick or shown signs of being one, its like people forget he was the first overall pick in the draft.

I thnk the media can understand it's hard to live up to lofty expectations when you have so little talent around you.

lod01
10-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Probably too early but I am going with yes anyway. This based on the fact the Norv took him and made him average. Now he is back to horrible. This tells me that someone that can coach a QB and call plays correctly is needed for this guy to be 'average'. By the time that comes, this guy may be done as far as having any confidence. His WR's aren't much help either but he made some horrific throws Sunday.

Iamcanadian
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Too early to tell. He's still a raw QB and playing with a young team that has potential, but isnt quite there yet.

I think the 2008 season is his make or break year.

I tend to agree with this assessment. They either turn him loose next year or he could go into the bust category.

Crickett
10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Alex Smith: The next Tim Couch. I thought so when he was in the draft and sadly, it seems as though I was right.

49ersfan_87
11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Another terrible game..

umphrey
11-05-2007, 12:28 AM
He seems pretty average to me.

Wouldn't really be a bust but at #1 overall he just happened to be the best QB in a QB weak class, and that makes him a bust because his draft position far exceeds his talent.

no love
11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Another terrible game..

To be honest. I don't think any of the games for the rest of this year are going to be pretty.

One of the most underrated things a qb can have is trust in his team mates. It allows him to be steady in the pocket and he can feel comfortable throwing to spots and his receivers getting to those spots and catching the ball.

As seen by today, another day filled with wr's dropping balls, running wrong routes and a pass rush that got to him a couple of times to create big plays both up the middle and on the edges.

Smith operates better out of the pocket and for good reason. His O-line got him the seperated shoulder to begin with and last week his healing shoulder was getting beat up.

Alex doesn't seem to trust his team mates and they haven't really given him anything to trust. It seems that the 49ers miss more blitz pickups than any team in the nfl. We also lead the league in percentage of drops.

swagger
11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
He's only 23. The 49ers have among the worst receiving corps in the league. Plus, losing Norv Turner was a huge hit.

Calling him a bust would be foolish. 33.78% of people who responded to the poll are foolish.

49ersfan_87
11-05-2007, 01:25 AM
He's only 23.

I'd have to say his age is irrevelant. He's started 29 games in his career(7 in his rookie year, 16 2nd year, 6 this year), and he had playing time in 2 more in his rookie year, thats a ton of experience, which matters more than age.

DChess
11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
i thought he showed some improvement last year and thought he would lead his team to the playoffs this year but that injury kind of hurt him. if he has doesnt produce next season he'll be on thin ice that next year

Addict
11-05-2007, 02:10 AM
He looked pretty terrible against the Falcons...

Paranoidmoonduck
11-05-2007, 02:23 AM
He's not a bust until he is out of football or a perennial #2 starter.

Quarterbacks are always long term projects, and it isn't exactly as if Smith has had a wealth of talent around him. Right now he's the best option at quarterback for the Niners, which I think means he can't be a bust. Not yet at least.

BlindSite
11-05-2007, 02:36 AM
He looked pretty terrible against the Falcons...

Who just quietly have a very solid front 7

Borat
11-05-2007, 02:38 AM
He's not going to last much longer in this league if he doesn't improve his accuracy. Today's performance was pathetic.

At times this year, I'd say the playcalling was really questionable, but twice today they called perfect plays which left WRs WIDE OPEN down the field and Alex had time to hit them and he completely missed. And I mean, he missed them badly. They weren't asking him to squeeze the passes into tight passing windows, he had guys who had beaten their coverage and all they needed was a decent pass and they're looking at 2 long touchdowns.

You just can't operate in the NFL if you miss on these easy opportunites, cause he sure as hell isn't hitting on the tough passes either.

Addict
11-05-2007, 03:03 AM
he looks so funny while getting sacked:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2007/09000d5d803e0149_gallery_600.jpg

Borat
11-05-2007, 03:09 AM
He didn't get sacked on that play. He actually flipped that ball to a back for a small gain. That was one of his shining moments today. We have to rally around the smallest bits of good play with this guy. :)

Addict
11-05-2007, 03:27 AM
He didn't get sacked on that play. He actually flipped that ball to a back for a small gain. That was one of his shining moments today. We have to rally around the smallest bits of good play with this guy. :)

darn. He still looks funny though.

Speaking of funny-looking 1st overall picks, how 'bout JR? He looks a bit... fat.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2007/09000d5d803e3d04_gallery_600.jpg
and notice how Sapp's head seems to come out of his ass

The Legend
11-05-2007, 04:03 AM
his oline has not played well
gore was out
jackson lead nfl with drop balls
wideout crew is pretty bad
vernon davis has not played very well

so i say give the man chance

Borat
11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Ugh, he's missing wide open receivers and throwing high on every pass. It's hard to put the blame on anything but Smith at this point.

Shiver
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I would say he is definitely a bust. Three years into the NFL and he still struggles from a mechanical and a mental perspective. He misses receivers a lot. The Lawyer Milloy interception on Sunday was a prime example. Vernon Davis was open, but he was late to throwing him the ball. Fox even showed videos of the warm ups when he was missing receivers left and right. Last year he improved enough to make everyone think he had a chance; however, he has regressed back to his '05 ineptitude.

paladin
11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd like to say it's too early to tell if Alex Smith is a bust as a NFL QB, but I can't.

He's got three years of play time and three years of mediocrity to failure.

Injuries to himself and his teammates can only be used as an excuse for so long when you're the number one pick. As a number one, you're paid to be the future and the savior of your team. He hasn't been close to living up to that billing. Especially, when so many analysts and pundits made a big deal of your intelligence by graduating early.

Great QBs find a way to win. He hasn't. If Alex Smith doesn't improve dramatically, and soon, then it looks like the Niners are going to have to start scouting for another franchise QB.

no love
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
One thing that people seem to overlook is the difference a good coordinator can do for a qb's mechanics. Everyone talks about how losing Norv was a hit to the playcalling but I think it is more about a lack of focus on fundamentals. For a young guy like Smith who did not come in with great fundamentals to begin with, it is so important to have an OC who excels at making his QB fundamentally sound.

His misses seem to be a result of poor pocket footwork. He just isn't stepping into his passes like he should (even when he has a pocket). Smith looks much more flatfooted this year when stepping up in the pocket.

Steve Young was talking about how the big difference between Brett Farve of two years ago and the Brett Farve of this year is that his footwork has drastically improved under McCarthy bc McCarthy stresses the fundamentals for Farve.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I think the most important question here is, if you had a mythological franchise and you needed a QB, how high of a pick would you give up for Alex Smith? Even if you take money out of the equation, I couldn't justify giving up more than a 3rd rounder for him (ie: I'd rather take a chance on Colt Brennan at this point than Alex Smith).

Smith to me is a lot like Cedric Benson. I don't think either player is horrible, I don't think you can write them off as contributors in the NFL, but can you write them off as justifying their draft position? Absofudginglutely you can!! Even if you take the most prominent example of QB turnaround (Steve Young) Young's experience in Tampa Bay was only two years, and arguably still wasn't as bad as Smith has been in San Fran. I think at best Smith will become a Testeverde type. At worst he's a not as talented and productive Tim Couch.

DChess
11-05-2007, 02:26 PM
id rather have smith, if we are truely starting a franchise, hes smarter, has a better arm, i would like to see the 49ers make a push for some WR's and go from there. they should use their top five pick on desean jackson, oh wait....

paladin
11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
A lot has been made to Smith's 'smarts' and 'intelligence'. Yet, where are the results of those attributes? Draft gurus and sports analysts generally agreed that Smith was a smart kid that graduated early from Utah. That he led a good spread offense at Utah. But, how have those skill, talents, attributes translated on a NFL scale? The Alex Smith of Utah and the Alex Smith of San Francisco are two completely different animals.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
The Alex Smith of Utah and the Alex Smith of San Francisco are two completely different animals.

Alex Smith = http://www.liloia.com/images/liger.jpg

BucSappy
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Alex Smith was partially drafted because of how smart he was and he made good grades, test scores. Dumb reasons imo. I still think Aaron Rodgers was the better prospect.

DChess
11-05-2007, 04:12 PM

arent you in you 20's? who does that.

bearsfan_51
11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
arent you in you 20's? who does that.

Who links a picture? I'm confused.

DChess
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Who links a picture? I'm confused.

isnt that like from napolean dynomite?

elcapitan
11-06-2007, 03:55 AM

That **** looks like my girlfriend's girlfriend on Halloween.

art vandelay
11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd say not yet simply because he's only 23. However, he has not looked good this year. He probably needs a change of scenery/coaching staff.

Addict
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
could Alex Smith become for the 49ers what Robert Gallery has become for the Raiders?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
could Alex Smith become for the 49ers what Robert Gallery has become for the Raiders?

A decent left guard? Unlikely.

no love
11-06-2007, 03:20 PM

LOL nice. Maybe we can put him on kickoff coverage ala Cody Pickett.

Addict
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

wow. Funniest joke EVER

http://images.inmagine.com/168nwm/retrofile/rets006/rets006047.jpg

Borat
11-06-2007, 03:31 PM

He couldn't be any worse than Larry Allen.

no love
11-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Here is what I was talking about with Smith's shotty footwork. Losing a guy like Norv who made sure he was fundamentally sound. Norv had Smith just practice dropping back to make sure his footwork was correct. This type of stuff sounds like it should be automatic, but for a young qb it is important to have a guy who will be on your back about it at all times.

The difference last year, "Smith has not thrown nearly as many passes to his receiving corps this offseason. When Norv Turner came in as offensive coordinator, he wanted Smith to work hard on throwing a lot of the patterns that he was not asked to execute his rookie season under Mike McCarthy's West Coast offense. He began throwing a lot in February, and the work did not slow down.

"We were on the field every day, throwing, throwing, throwing," Smith said. "And we got receivers in and we were throwing three, four times a week because it was so unusual to throw those seven-step drops, and throw the deep-outs, the deep corners and the deep-ins. That was so unusual for me the year before that we worked on it so much."

The feeling this offseason was different. Now, Smith has experience throwing those routes, so new offensive coordinator Jim Hostler decided to spend more time working on the concepts of his offense. Smith said he agrees with Hostler's approach, which is also endorsed by backup quarterback Trent Dilfer.

"I remember the first time we came out here, we're doing all this stuff and it was like we'd done it the whole year before so it wasn't that far off," Smith said. "We didn't need to focus on it that much. We concentrate on the class room. We're trying to develop new things we needed - new third down, new red-zone concepts, new empty (backfield) concepts - things that will help us come the season.

"Obviously, we still work a lot on the field, but it wasn't a need for as much emphasis as far as just reps.""

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=619015

no love
11-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Here is what I was talking about when I said his footwork has been bad.

"I'm no expert on quarterback play, but it seemed to me that Alex Smith's footwork was not sharp. There were several instances in which I had a difficult time telling the difference between his 5- and 7-step drops. He seemed to include an extra hop a lot of times. Perhaps the three weeks in which he did not practice had much more of a negative impact than anyone could've imagined.

His footwork was certainly off on the incomplete pass down the field to Bryan Gilmore, who had a couple steps on Falcons safety Chris Crocker. Instead of stepping up in the pocket, being on balance and throwing, Smith stepped up and threw all in one awkward motion.

"There's a time clock going off in your mind when you're out there," Smith said. "Then you watch the film and there's not a guy 2 yards from you, that's when you realize you could have taken more time. That's the most frustrating thing."

Yes, I was critical of Smith's play the past two weeks. When I say that Smith played poorly the past two games, I'm not saying anything other than that. I thought he was probably the 49ers' best offensive player in the first three games of the season, but he clearly has not been effective since his return from a separated shoulder."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/news/view.php?id=11853

fenikz
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
i voted too early to tell when this started but i'm changing that to a yes.

MaxV
11-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Before that draft, I felt that Smith was more of a mid-to-late-1st rounder then a 1st overall pick. I thought it was a MAJOR reach.

Granted, none of the prospects in that draft looked worthy of 1st overall pick, but still.

It is still too early to label him a bust, but I don't think he'll ever be a great QB.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
i'd vote yes, but i'm also basing what i think he will become into that. He has been subpar thus far, and personally i don't see him being anything special. He benefited from a poor QB draft and a team drafting #1 overall who needed a QB. He easily could have been Aaron Rodgers, and at #21 i may change my tune, but picks #1 and #21 whether we acknowledge it or not, are percieved and evaluated very differently. (I don't think rodgers will be very good either when he starts).

asmitty45
11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd say for where he was drafted yes, but I still think that he has a very good chance of being a solid NFL Qb. In reality he benefited greatly from a weak draft class, he shouldnt have gone until about 20 in any other draft.

I'll back him up until he turns into david carr and sucks on another team though