PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Commisioner Issue!

Jughead10
10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok here is my issue. I'm commisioner of a very competitive league with long time friends of mine. Right now one of the games for the week is seperated by only 2 fantasy points. The team down by 2 points has no one going tonight and can't get any more points. The team up by two points has Brandon Marshall and Brett Favre going. My friend wants to bench these two players so there is no chance of him getting negative points and blowing this game. As commisioner something about this just rubs me the wrong way. I called three other guys in this league who really don't care who wins and it rubs them the wrong way too. What should I do about this. Should I make him start these two players or should I allow him to bench them and start no one?

Chucky
10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I think you have to let them bench them, its their team and they should be able to do what they want with their roster

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
In many leagues, you are allowed to set your lineup up until the kickoff of the game. If the league rules allow this, he should be allowed. If you have to set it at a point and live with the results, then he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Seems to me like he cannot change his roster. In that case, no changes allowed.

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
In terms of etiquette, it's not totally cool with me, but I think it's allowable. It's the same as a team that has clinched the #1 overall seed benching its stars in Week 17 to get them healthy and to prevent injury. Guarantee the win...

Jughead10
10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
In terms of etiquette, it's not totally cool with me, but I think it's allowable. It's the same as a team that has clinched the #1 overall seed benching its stars in Week 17 to get them healthy and to prevent injury. Guarantee the win...

You can change your lineup up until game time, but that function is there mostly to substitute someone in for game time decision on injuries in the 4 oclock games as well as the sunday and monday night game. Do you think I allow it despite me not be cool with it and the majority of the leagues members not be cool with it. Basically my friend is a huge baby and if my some off chance this does screw him over we will all never hear the end of his whining.

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't think it constitutes cheating, but it is a bit of bad karma. It will come back to haunt him in the end when points are the tiebreaker. Wins and losses are what really counts. If he wants to be a wuss and not do it, you can't tell him not to. He's not manipulating anything here. He's just guaranteeing his W.

Jughead10
10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
I had a similar issue last year for different reasons. My friend tried to throw a week so he would get the #4 playoff seed isntead of the #3 seed. Mainly because although being #2, the #2 team was a far superior team to the #1. He tried to throw a game so he wouldn't have to play the #2 and I made him put everyone back in. I know this was for a different reason but precedent was kind of set.

Giantsfan1080
10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
The more I think about it I really don't like what he is doing but I think we have to let him do it since it's his team. Hopefully as bsaza said bad karma will get him in the end.

fenikz
10-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I think you should try telling someone how to run their team, just stay out of it and let the person do what they wish

Jughead10
10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I think you should try telling someone how to run their team, just stay out of it and let the person do what they wish

I'm just worried about competitive balance. We have some teams with only 1 or 2 wins. Why should they start their best possible lineup from here out when this guy isn't?

RyanLeaf#1
10-29-2007, 03:05 PM
I would say keep them in. If he was down 2 points, and the other guy had no one going he would want them playing. But if you have allowed people to bench players before then I guess you have to let him bench em. Why does he think Favre is gonna be negative in points? They are gonna roll the Broncos tonight... 27-10 Packers.

fenikz
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm just worried about competitive balance. We have some teams with only 1 or 2 wins. Why should they start their best possible lineup from here out when this guy isn't?

well it would be different if he was purposely trying to lose games but he is just being smart and not risking his player costing him a game when he already has it wrapped up, kinda of like why would you go for a hail mary if you were up by 3 with 30 seconds left, just take the knee

Jughead10
10-29-2007, 03:13 PM
I decided he can't leave the roster spot as empty. He has Bobby Engram on a bye. I told him he can start Bobby Engram at WR and pick up one of the backup QBs in tonight's game to start. But just can't leave the spot empty.

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I had a similar issue last year for different reasons. My friend tried to throw a week so he would get the #4 playoff seed isntead of the #3 seed. Mainly because although being #2, the #2 team was a far superior team to the #1. He tried to throw a game so he wouldn't have to play the #2 and I made him put everyone back in. I know this was for a different reason but precedent was kind of set.

This isn't throwing a week. This is guaranteeing a win. If it was the playoffs, or I was in a tight race and needed the win, I'd do the same thing. It isn't really cool, but you have to win however you can.

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I decided he can't leave the roster spot as empty. He has Bobby Engram on a bye. I told him he can start Bobby Engram at WR and pick up one of the backup QBs in tonight's game to start. But just can't leave the spot empty.

That is a fair solution.

TimD
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Somehow I doubt he's going to get negative points. Although Farve against the Denver secondary is not a good matchup

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Again, he has no reason to play these guys because it's a close game. He should take the win here, though I think it's pretty wussy.

Watchman
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm suprised he's worried about going negative with those two players going tonight. I don't think that thought would have crossed my mind. I would just be piling on the guy all day letting him know he was just going to get beat worse by the end of the night.

I think he should be able to start whoever he wants. He's not trying to tank a game so what's the difference. He's ensuring a win.

Chucky
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
He will should just pick up a Qb on a bye then

Jughead10
10-30-2007, 07:19 AM
I told him he didn't have to start anyone but we guilt tripped him into starting his normal guys. At the end of the night he margin of victory grew and he got some extra points that might be useful in tiebreakers for him getting into the playoffs. Everything worked out.

bsaza2358
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Just goes to show you that people take this game waaaaay too seriously.

Jughead10
10-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Just goes to show you that people take this game waaaaay too seriously.

It's just the personality of my friend. He'll look for anyway to win whether it's cheap or not. But if someone tried to do the same thing to him, he'd whine about it for weeks. He's really the only one who ever has a problem with the way the league is run.

bsaza2358
10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Well, he can run his team however he likes. He earned the win regardless of what happened. If you don't like his attitude, boot him at season's end.