PDA

View Full Version : Do you care that NE ran the score up?

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Honestly, do you care that New England runs the score up?

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
I SCREWED UP THE POLL...

It should be "Yes - they're bastards and I hate them"

and

"No - It's funny and they're allowed to"

Dammit... I can't fix it.

bearsfan_51
10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Umm....I think your explanations are reversed. If you didn't care, it's probably because you don't hate them. No?

Anyway...no I don't care. There's genocide all over the world, I'm not going to waste my energy arguing about something trivial like sportsmanship.

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah I messed it up like a moron.

Jvig43
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
no, its football, you play play for 60 minutes, nothing less. Its the coachs decision whether to risk injury and keep his team out there and score. Plus this way the pats offense can keep their endurance throughout the season rather then be taken out in the third quarter every week.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I have no problem with it, but playing Brady in the 4th up by 41, and even running it with him, call me a ahole but I will laugh and be happy if Brady breaks his leg or gets hurt because they have it coming, they risk it every week and eventually it will catch up to them.

Bills2083
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I have no problem with it, but playing Brady in the 4th up by 41, and even running it with him, call me a ahole but I will laugh and be happy if Brady breaks his leg or gets hurt because they have it coming, they risk it every week and eventually it will catch up to them.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif

Can you imagine if he breaks his leg on a play like Wilfork's hit Losman's knee? Everyone would be calling for the guys head!

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't care in the least. I would expect them to say "FU" to all of their opponents all year. I don't see the Pats getting any kind of breaks from teams in the future, but that's the way it should be. Kill them until their dead, then kick them in the ribs.

no love
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I think it sets a horrible example for kids who are supposed to learn sportsmanship.

But it's not like it keeps me up at night thinking about how much I hate the Patriots. I think the Patriots are easy to hate because they are so good, but they certainly are not helping their case.

Either way, I think they are setting themselves up for disaster. They are going to be ruing the day when one of their stars gets hurt right before the playoffs.

PoopSandwich
10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyways, as for my response to the question, no I really don't care, I think it's pretty funny to watch even when it happened to us I didn't care really. I just wouldn't be upset if a player got hurt because that would be karma.

The Dynasty
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I had the problem with Brady in the game when your up 38 to nothing and going for it on 4th and 1.

yodabear
10-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe if teams would put together a gameplan to actually stop them. But the Skins could have stopped them. The Redskins very own coach said pretty much we ain't got a snowballs chance in hell at winning. The Pats said u got that right and dropped a 52 bomb on them. Face the facts: the Patriots and Colts are all good, there are 28 JV teams, and the Rams and Dolphins are practice squads. So shut up, and quit complaing every1. This is the word of yodachu, all hail yodachu.

MaxV
10-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Nah, not really.

Staubach12
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
They're making a statement. They're the best and it isn't even close, and they want the world to know. Go for it.

bsaza2358
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I think it sets a horrible example for kids who are supposed to learn sportsmanship.

But it's not like it keeps me up at night thinking about how much I hate the Patriots. I think the Patriots are easy to hate because they are so good, but they certainly are not helping their case.

Either way, I think they are setting themselves up for disaster. They are going to be ruing the day when one of their stars gets hurt right before the playoffs.

Sportsmanship belongs in the amateur ranks. If you don't like the Pats scoring that much, STOP THEM. Don't whine about it. If you're in pro sports, and you get slaughtered, you deserve it. Period.

No one complains about how easily Federer destroys everyone in tennis. People don't complain when people win golf tournaments by multiple strokes. Heck, the Red Sox just swept the Rockies. No one say boo about that. Leave it alone.

P-L
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
No. I do however have a problem with how poorly the Redskins played defense.

Watchman
10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
As the old saying goes, "You don't like it, do something about it."

I don't mind them running up the score because it is so damn impressive the level that O is playing.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Sportsmanship belongs in the amateur ranks. If you don't like the Pats scoring that much, STOP THEM. Don't whine about it. If you're in pro sports, and you get slaughtered, you deserve it. Period.

No one complains about how easily Federer destroys everyone in tennis. People don't complain when people win golf tournaments by multiple strokes. Heck, the Red Sox just swept the Rockies. No one say boo about that. Leave it alone.

Those are entirely different examples though, better example, if you are playing basketball and you are up 80-0, a kid is 0-50, do you give him the open 3 pointer or stuff him in the face, again I have no problem with running up the score, but if you wanna risk your players health, I will laugh and clap when they get hurt because you deserve it.

BroadwayJoe10
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Your comparison is completely off based. People don't complain about federer, tiger, or the sox because; federer doesn't hit balls between his legs at the baseline when hes up 5-0 and two sets, he has too much class and respect for the game. Tiger wouldn't take out a pitching wedge and hit it left handed and upside down while up 7 strokes and it is quite possible to drop 5+ strokes on one hole, it is improbable for the pats to drop 40 points in 15 minutes. Also, golf is a singular sport where all you can do is improve or hurt yourself, you don't gameplan for anyone else. The red sox did sweep them but they won 2 games by 1 run. And when they did win by 5+ they weren't stealing bases, and if they did do that it is the WORLD SERIES not a regular season game. It is all or nothing in the WS.

Anyways i just wanted to point out that those comparisons don't work, it is just a poor excuse to defend the pats. THat having been said, I personally wouldn't run the score up and risk my players health, but i think class is pretty subjective and if the pats want to risk their players and run up the score more power to them. They are showing how damn good they are and that does impose a fear factor in their opponents, some of their opponents. It is pro football though, where wins are hard to come by and it is possible for Tom BRady to get hurt. Its not like they are georgia and dancing on a teams logo.

I will admit that going for it on 4th and 1 was in poor taste, but i'm not gonna call it classless.

Philliez01
10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't care, I only care when it's done in the college game. These are grown men getting paid more than most of the population to play football. I mean I didn't really like the fact that they kept throwing but oh well.

Twiddler
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I had the problem with Brady in the game when your up 38 to nothing and going for it on 4th and 1.

Yeah I didn't have such a problem with them having the starters in 4th quarter when it wasn't necessary but this is what was getting to me a little. I mean, is it really necessary to go for fourth down when you are up by 38? I'm not so sure.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Anyone who has a problem with them running up the score needs to go home, because it's the NFL, if they want to be idiots and risk their players good for them. Was it excessive going for it on 4th downs when the skins basically gave up and we just playing off sure, but who cares. We could have sent the house to put Brady on his ass, but we chose to have class, Patriots have zero class but who cares if you are a good team. The Patriots want to league to hate them but that's why they are good, you are on the ground they want to spit in your face to show dominance(figure of speech, although maybe actual), that's just how they operate but I have no problem with it.

Memorex
10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't see why some scrub team later in the year (anyone in their division) doesn't take one of their scrubs aside on the sideline, lets say a corner, send him on a blitz, and you say to him, take out Tom Brady's knees, or you tell them to break his fingers in the bottom of a pile. I'm not going to lie, if I was a coach, at any level above middle school, that is exactly what I would do, and everyone else in the league would thank me for it.

If this was baseball, Tom Brady would have had a ball thrown at his head 5 times this year.
If it was the NBA he would have been undercut on a layup.
If it was hockey, he would have been jacked into the boards.

Someone needs to step in and say, hey Bellichek, I don't care if you have something to prove, if your going to play dirty, so are we.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2007, 07:08 PM
It happens all the time subtly in college bball they are running up the score on you, as John Cheaney said he sends in his "goon" in basketball aka 12th man on the bench to hard foul the opposing teams best player, if you are gonna keep in you stars in blowouts expect the consequences and no crying unfair play if they send someone to take out your QB. It's like if someone kept slapping you in the face eventually you resort to dirty play, it's not good, but it's human nature, it's a matter of time before it happens.

PoopSandwich
They can't get to Brady that's the thing.

Basileus777
I find it hilarious that people are complaining that the Pats are classless, and then advocate intentionally harming a player.

BroadwayJoe10
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't see why some scrub team later in the year (anyone in their division) doesn't take one of their scrubs aside on the sideline, lets say a corner, send him on a blitz, and you say to him, take out Tom Brady's knees, or you tell them to break his fingers in the bottom of a pile. I'm not going to lie, if I was a coach, at any level above middle school, that is exactly what I would do, and everyone else in the league would thank me for it.

If this was baseball, Tom Brady would have had a ball thrown at his head 5 times this year.
If it was the NBA he would have been undercut on a layup.
If it was hockey, he would have been jacked into the boards.

Someone needs to step in and say, hey Bellichek, I don't care if you have something to prove, if your going to play dirty, so are we.

They brought this up on sportscenter and other sportshows. It is true that if someone were doing this in baseball, basketball, hockey there would be some sort of punishment. When you upstage another team or player there is always going to be consequences. If you hit a homerun (gamewinning or not) and just stand at the plate and stair at it or the pitcher or say something to the pitcher, you bet your ass your gonna get either hit or a little chin music. Is this wrong? I say hell no. as long as u dont try to hit the guy in the head and just in the arm or back then he'll get the message. NHL, if you are up 5-0 and are sitting behind the goal, flip the puck up on your stick and toss it in the goal (much like crosby did in that huge high school all star game) you are gonna get railed into the boards. But football, it is a bit tougher to send a message without seriously hurting someone.

This is where a jack lambert or dick butkus would have come in; if this happened to there team you bet your ass they would have said i hope your teammates will help you walk off the field, becuase you won't be able to do it on your own. I have no problem with layin a hard hit on someone that wasn't malicious and resulted in nothing but a big headache, but there isn't any room to try to intentionall injur a player. It goes along with if you don't like it do something about it, but just don't whine about it. You are getting paied hundred of thousands if not millions. Anyways, I can't wait to see the colts and pats, gonna be one hell of a game.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I find it hilarious that people are complaining that the Pats are classless, and then advocate intentionally harming a player.

No one's advocating it, we are just saying it's gonna happen. Pick on the lil bro eventually he will go downstairs, human nature.

Scarface
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
The Patriots are my favorite team and i think they should be allowed to run the score up.

ninerfan
10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Its PRO football so either find a way to stop them or stop bitchin

Turtlepower
10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
The Patriots are my favorite team and i think they should be allowed to run the score up.

Flawless reasoning. The Patriots are my second least favorite team, so I think they shouldn't run the score up. =D

Jakey
10-30-2007, 04:36 AM
No i couldnt care less, but it's abit pointless. When youve got a good running game, theres no point throwing it and risking a turnover, just run the ball. If the Skins had any chance to come back it would be a bit more understandable...but in reality they had no chance.

Addict
10-30-2007, 05:26 AM
No. I do however have a problem with how poorly the Redskins played defense.

exactly. Those guys are played to play defense.

Here's a litttle piece of advice: if you don't want them to run up the score, do your damn job and stop them!

bearfan
10-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Running up the score like the Pats did in the last game, and then the Cowboys game *late TD when they were clearly going to win* is classless. Sure this is the NFL, so "stop them or stop bitchin"...there is no point to run up the score like they do. Are they making a point? yes. Have they been making that point all season long? yes. When there is no chance in hell for the other team to win, in any sport, there is no reason to run up the score, and rub it in the other teams face.

Addict
10-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Running up the score like the Pats did in the last game, and then the Cowboys game *late TD when they were clearly going to win* is classless. Sure this is the NFL, so "stop them or stop bitchin"...there is no point to run up the score like they do. Are they making a point? yes. Have they been making that point all season long? yes. When there is no chance in hell for the other team to win, in any sport, there is no reason to run up the score, and rub it in the other teams face.

so you should stop scoring once you're ahead? Honestly most of their points come in the first haf, when there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to take your foot off the gas... Honestly I'd think Billy B. would be insane to take out half his starters by the time he's 35 points ahead, which for the past two games has been haflway through the second quarter. Get real man, this is professional sports, not peewee.

SenorGato
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
No.

I think it's more disgusting that NFL fans "can't wait" to see one of them get hurt though.

Why would you hurt another human because he scored alot of points against you in a friggin game?

Sniper
10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
so you should stop scoring once you're ahead? Honestly most of their points come in the first haf, when there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to take your foot off the gas... Honestly I'd think Billy B. would be insane to take out half his starters by the time he's 35 points ahead, which for the past two games has been haflway through the second quarter. Get real man, this is professional sports, not peewee.

Addict for the win!

Sniper
10-30-2007, 09:20 AM
They can't get to Brady that's the thing.

You could send all 11 and concede the TD ;)

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-30-2007, 09:21 AM
I hate the Patriots and am all about sportsmanship, but injuries happen in the blink of an eye and i truly believe that the 'breaks' will catch up with a team who tries to humiliate others. Someone might not have anything to lose and have someone down the line take a shot at a Pats player and that will be that.

I don't think its ethical to purposely run up the score, but ethics aren't rules and people can proceed as they see fit. I definitely hope that down the line in a few years when the Pats once again are an average or below average team that every single opponent will try to abuse them and run the score up for years to come....

Jvig43
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
i guess its just the way people are on these boards, if a team is better then yours and they win over and over again, they'll do anyhting to slander them, and hope for someone to take a cheap shot at a player because they are tired of hearing about the same team win again and again. personally i think this is pathetic, i hope the pats beat the colts, but never have i ever wished any harm to anyone on that team, and i respect them just as much as i do my own team. its immature to ***** about everything a winning team does because they are good.

CannedToast
10-30-2007, 12:10 PM
As has been said, it isn't a wise move because someone will end up injured, be it intentional or accidental.

But I really don't care, nor would I actually send someone after any of their players.

I sorta agree with Steve Young on the whole "Wes Welker spiking the ball up 45" thing. That makes him seem pretty pathetic.

BuddyCHRIST
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
no this is the NFL, this isn't PeeWee where everyone gets to play, or where moms are in the stands fighting about who has snack duties next week. Its the National Football League, if you want them to stop scoring, then stop them.

EvilMonkey
10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm not a Pats fan, but as a football fan i cant just be amazed at how well this offense is playing. I dont want to see them run up the score because it is not smart football and just as a fan appreciating their greatness right now, it would be a shame if Brady did get hurt for an extended period of time and it ends up they cant keep up this level of play beyond that. I think they're as good as they're playing but it would suck if Brady gets hurt and it ends up that we truly wont get a chance to see how good they are in the playoffs. With the line they have, they're probably gonna be fine, but that still doesnt make it smart football.

brat316
10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I dont care its their game plan to score a lot of points, what if the Redskins did make comeback some how and got like 5 tds somehow. Hey if they wanted to do something about it STOP them u get paid to do it. Hey leaving the starters in 4th qt. who cares, if they get injured its on Bill's shoulders, he is going to answer the questions. Why didn't Taylor lay out Moss sometime during the game. The second string qb, ran it in for a td, why not stop him. I don't want anyone to have serious injury, but play the game stop them.

I think this Pats thing is a one time deal this year, i think Bill is going out on top like Parcells tried to by getting all these high end players for 1 year. Moss 1 year deal, Stallworth 1 year deal, Asante 1 year deal. Players are going to be asking for money come next year, so pats not around forever.

yodabear
10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm along with ghetto I think it was him. I have no problem with what they are doing because this is the NFL, but if someone woulda got hurt up 45, I woulda LMAO.

cowboysforever
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I could care less.

By the same token, when Brady gets speared in the knees ... I could care less.

All fair in love and war.

bsaza2358
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
That is not an unfair assessment, CBF.

Addict
10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I could care less.

By the same token, when Brady gets speared in the knees ... I could care less.

All fair in love and war.

I'd react to this but I'd probably violate personal attack rules, so I'll just say I think you're not a fan of football.

swagger
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
This is what the league gets for questioning the validity and legitimacy of the Patriots Super Bowls.

Next victim: Tony Dungy. He put salt on the wound when he was talking about what a disgrace the Patriots/Belichick were for "cheating". Good luck.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-30-2007, 10:52 PM
no this is the NFL, this isn't PeeWee where everyone gets to play, or where moms are in the stands fighting about who has snack duties next week. Its the National Football League, if you want them to stop scoring, then stop them.

Tell that to Mrs. McNabb and Mrs. Tomlinson.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-30-2007, 10:53 PM
It's not them scoring that bugs me. If they aren't stopped, then they shouldn't stop themselves. But when someone forces you into a 4th down situation, you kick the field goal. They would not have gone for it in a close game, why do it in a blowout? To rub it in.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
It's not them scoring that bugs me. If they aren't stopped, then they shouldn't stop themselves. But when someone forces you into a 4th down situation, you kick the field goal. They would not have gone for it in a close game, why do it in a blowout? To rub it in.

Weren't they in an area of the field where it was a really long field goal, like a 55 yarder? Most teams would probably go for it there on 4th and less than a yard.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Weren't they in an area of the field where it was a really long field goal, like a 55 yarder? Most teams would probably go for it there on 4th and less than a yard.

Actually one of them was in the redzone. From about the 20ish yard line I'm pretty sure...maybe closer.

EDIT: Looked it up, the first one was from the 7, with about ten minutes left in the fourth, up 38-0...a FG actually makes sense there. The other was yes, a 4th and 2, from the WAS 37...something tells me that up 45-0, with only seven minutes left they could have affored a punt. But yes that would have been a long field goal

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Actually one of them was in the redzone. From about the 20ish yard line I'm pretty sure...maybe closer.

EDIT: Looked it up, the first one was from the 7, with about ten minutes left in the fourth, up 38-0...a FG actually makes sense there. The other was yes, a 4th and 2, from the WAS 37...something tells me that up 45-0, with only seven minutes left they could have affored a punt. But yes that would have been a long field goal

Makes sense to me to go for it in both cases. Take more time off the clock.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Makes sense to me to go for it in both cases. Take more time off the clock.

If thats the goal explain why the next play is to pass the ball?

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
If thats the goal explain why the next play is to pass the ball?

Who knows? Maybe they feel they have a better chance at getting a first down passing then running? Maybe they're trying to keep the ball out of their RBs hands so they are fresh for the playoffs? I'm not a mindreader.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Who knows? Maybe they feel they have a better chance at getting a first down passing then running? Maybe they're trying to keep the ball out of their RBs hands so they are fresh for the playoffs? I'm not a mindreader.

Well the general consensus would be their doing it simply to run up the score, it seems pretty obvious. Otherwise they are risking the more valuable assets to their team, and not keeping htem fresh for the playoffs. Getting a first down is irrelevant on first and goal. So the only way theyre trying for that is if theyre trying again, to embarass a team.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Well the general consensus would be their doing it simply to run up the score, it seems pretty obvious. Otherwise they are risking the more valuable assets to their team, and not keeping htem fresh for the playoffs. Getting a first down is irrelevant on first and goal. So the only way theyre trying for that is if theyre trying again, to embarass a team.

So they should have kicked a field goal?

cowboysforever
10-30-2007, 11:33 PM
How ironic that someone named Moses would be lost.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
So they should have kicked a field goal?

Yeah they should have...strategically and ethically. Or at least ran the ball. It makes no sense to pass it unless your padding stats or trying to humiliate someone.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah they should have...strategically and ethically. Or at least ran the ball. It makes no sense to pass it unless your padding stats or trying to humiliate someone.

I don't really see the difference between booting a field goal or taking more time off the clock by advancing the ball again.

Anyway, I've already said I could care less if teams run the score up. Joe Gibbs seems to agree so I don't know what everybody is complaining about.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I don't really see the difference between booting a field goal or taking more time off the clock by advancing the ball again.

Anyway, I've already said I could care less if teams run the score up. Joe Gibbs seems to agree so I don't know what everybody is complaining about.

Well the difference is one doesn't humiliate the opposition. Kicking the field goal is what you would expect of the team. Going for the touchdown is a slap in the face.

Joe Gibbs said to the media he agrees. And thats fine I've said its personal opinion what you think of it. But its evident theyre clearly running it up, so don't act like its unheard for people to think its classelss and wrong.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh, also Tom Coughlin ran up the score on the Dolphins in Dan Marino's final game. It was close to a 60 point deficit. Guess he's a classless jerk as well. :D

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Well the difference is one doesn't humiliate the opposition. Kicking the field goal is what you would expect of the team. Going for the touchdown is a slap in the face.

Joe Gibbs said to the media he agrees. And thats fine I've said its personal opinion what you think of it. But its evident theyre clearly running it up, so don't act like its unheard for people to think its classelss and wrong.

It's as classless and wrong as chirping, pushing after plays, and celebrating excessively. All those are things that every team is guilty of, hence why I don't understand why the Patriots get singled out. Actually I do understand why, people hate them because they are the most dominant team the NFL has ever seen through half a season.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Oh, also Tom Coughlin ran up the score on the Dolphins in Dan Marino's final game. It was close to a 60 point deficit. Guess he's a classless jerk as well. :D

It's a classless act still in my opinion no matter who does it. But it's still a matter of opinion on how high you emphasis sportsmanship, so its not like there's a clearcut answer on the subject.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
It's as classless and wrong as chirping, pushing after plays, and celebrating excessively. All those are things that every team is guilty of, hence why I don't understand why the Patriots get singled out. Actually I do understand why, people hate them because they are the most dominant team the NFL has ever seen through half a season.

Because those are individual acts, that can and are usually penalized. Their also highly scrutinized usually. The Pats are a team, doing soemthing as a team, that doesn't get penalized at all. It's a classless act, moreso then talking trash or a quick push. And again, its a team thing with a clear cut message of "**** you". Does them being good have soemthing to do with it? Sure, but I don't think peopel are only opposed to running up the score because its the Pats, theres a lot of opposition to it befroe the Pats were this good.

EDIT: Not to mention, those things are all frowned upon you've mentioned earlier, so its justifiable by your own comparison that this be criticized.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Because those are individual acts, that can and are usually penalized. Their also highly scrutinized usually. The Pats are a team, doing soemthing as a team, that doesn't get penalized at all. It's a classless act, moreso then talking trash or a quick push. And again, its a team thing with a clear cut message of "**** you". Does them being good have soemthing to do with it? Sure, but I don't think peopel are only opposed to running up the score because its the Pats, theres a lot of opposition to it befroe the Pats were this good.

Players rarely get flagged for a quick push after the whistle, chirping, or celebrating in an arrogant manner. After every defensive play some player will do some crazy dance and fist pump.

I don't see how one player shoving another guy and saying "You dumb mofo I'll be in your face all game you suck blah blah blah" is any less disrepectful than running up the score on a team.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Players rarely get flagged for a quick push after the whistle, chirping, or celebrating in an arrogant manner. After every defensive play some player will do some crazy dance and fist pump.

I don't see how one player shoving another guy and saying "You dumb mofo I'll be in your face all game you suck blah blah blah" is any less disrepectful than running up the score on a team.

Then the arguments done, because I think the two are clearly different...not to mention both are frowend upon and wrong to begin with, its not like people encourage trash talking or shoving...look at DeAngelo Hall, how much support does he get? TO? Chad Johnson? Merriman?

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Then the arguments done, because I think the two are clearly different...not to mention both are frowend upon and wrong to begin with, its not like people encourage trash talking or shoving...look at DeAngelo Hall, how much support does he get? TO? Chad Johnson? Merriman?

Pretty much every defensive player makes a big deal whenever they make a play, not just the guys you mentioned. Trash talking is frequent also.

But go ahead and single out the Patriots just because you don't like them.

nrk
10-30-2007, 11:49 PM

A lot of that has to do with the emotions of the players.

JK17
10-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Pretty much every defensive player makes a big deal whenever they make a play, not just the guys you mentioned. Trash talking is frequent also.

But go ahead and single out the Patriots just because you don't like them.

Name another team running up the score and I'll single them out to. It's like the cheating thing all over again. I'm not singling them out, there the only ones doing it, or being caught doing it. I don't like the Pats. But that has no influence on me thinking running up the score is wrong.

But go ahead and harp on me for not liking the Pats and try to relate it to something that really isn't related. Its hard to not single someone out when they are the only ones doing it.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Name another team running up the score and I'll single them out to. It's like the cheating thing all over again. I'm not singling them out, there the only ones doing it, or being caught doing it. I don't like the Pats. But that has no influence on me thinking running up the score is wrong.

But go ahead and harp on me for not liking the Pats and try to relate it to something that really isn't related. Its hard to not single someone out when they are the only ones doing it.

Tom Coughlin did it.

Running up the score is unsportsmanlike according to you right? Fine. Then why not harp on every team that is unsportsmanlike? EVERY team is unsportsmanlike. They all do things in every game that are unsportsmanlike. Yet there's about 20 pages of how much people hate the Pats here because they ran the score up on a team.

JK17
10-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Tom Coughlin did it.

Running up the score is unsportsmanlike according to you right? Fine. Then why not harp on every team that is unsportsmanlike? EVERY team is unsportsmanlike. They all do things in every game that are unsportsmanlike. Yet there's about 20 pages of how much people hate the Pats here because they ran the score up on a team.

Tom Coughlin did it. And didn't like three posts ago, I say it was a classless thing for him to do?

Running up the score is unsportsmanlike. Every team is not unsportsmanlike. The Pats as a team are unsportsmanlike for a number of things unrelated to running up the score. Individual players on other teams are unsportsmanlike. Didn't I say that in every other post I've written? Are you reading what I'm saying or just assuming its "I hate the Pats becasue they are good...theyre classless"?

There's about 20 pages of people who disagree with you, some who agree, some who disagree. It's an opinion on what qualifies as unsportsmanlike. Running up the score is, no matter how much you want to pretend its only because the Pats are a good team. I'm sure some people do it only for that, but if you actually bothered to read what I'm writing, instead of just assuming its wrong because I disagree with you, you'd find out a lot of what I'm saying is not contradictory or hypocritical...and certianly not just because the Pats are a good team.

I don't speak for everyone who posts, I speak for myself, and my ideology on what football should be. I condemned every player you said was classless, and I said Coughlin was classless. Now what? Because the Pats are good I can't feel like they're classless too? I don't see a need for that stuff in the NFL. I also don't think celebrating with your team, when in moderation, is uncalled for or rubbing it. There's a difference between celebrating your own performance, then insulting the opponents. For example, TO running to the Dallas Star...unsportsmanlike, insulting, etc. A team congratulating a guy who got a sack and shouting, nothing wrong with that. You're generalizing every celebration into one.

I've been consistent in anything I've said on the subject. I've said those acts you considered unsportsmanlike are just that. Just like I'm saying humiliating a team for no reason but personal satisfaction because a coach is an egomaniac is unsportsmanlike. I have the right to that opinion, and its not an uncommon one. Just because its not yours, does not mean its not right, especially on a matter that would have a lot of relevance to personal experience and beliefs.

Moses
10-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Tom Coughlin did it. And didn't like three posts ago, I say it was a classless thing for him to do?

Running up the score is unsportsmanlike. Every team is not unsportsmanlike. The Pats as a team are unsportsmanlike for a number of things unrelated to running up the score. Individual players on other teams are unsportsmanlike. Didn't I say that in every other post I've written? Are you reading what I'm saying or just assuming its "I hate the Pats becasue they are good...theyre classless"?

There's about 20 pages of people who disagree with you, some who agree, some who disagree. It's an opinion on what qualifies as unsportsmanlike. Running up the score is, no matter how much you want to pretend its only because the Pats are a good team. I'm sure some people do it only for that, but if you actually bothered to read what I'm writing, instead of just assuming its wrong because I disagree with you, you'd find out a lot of what I'm saying is not contradictory or hypocritical...and certianly not just because the Pats are a good team.

I don't speak for everyone who posts, I speak for myself, and my ideology on what football should be. I condemned every player you said was classless, and I said Coughlin was classless. Now what? Because the Pats are good I can't feel like they're classless too? I don't see a need for that stuff in the NFL. I also don't think celebrating with your team, when in moderation, is uncalled for or rubbing it. There's a difference between celebrating your own performance, then insulting the opponents. For example, TO running to the Dallas Star...unsportsmanlike, insulting, etc. A team congratulating a guy who got a sack and shouting, nothing wrong with that. You're generalizing every celebration into one.

I've been consistent in anything I've said on the subject. I've said those acts you considered unsportsmanlike are just that. Just like I'm saying humiliating a team for no reason but personal satisfaction because a coach is an egomaniac is unsportsmanlike. I have the right to that opinion, and its not an uncommon one. Just because its not yours, does not mean its not right, especially on a matter that would have a lot of relevance to personal experience and beliefs.

So because a team runs up the score instead of just one player, that excuses the team? We should have a thread on every player who committed an unsportsmanlike act. Every time CJ does a dance in the endzone. Every time Sean Taylor gets in somebody's face. Every time Ray Lewis chirps somebody on the opposing team. But we don't. Why? Because it's professional football, not Pop Warner. These are grown man, not kids. If they're going to whine about getting scored on too much, they shouldn't be on the field.

JK17
10-31-2007, 12:10 AM
So because a team runs up the score instead of just one player, that excuses the team? We should have a thread on every player who committed an unsportsmanlike act. Every time CJ does a dance in the endzone. Every time Sean Taylor gets in somebody's face. Every time Ray Lewis chirps somebody on the opposing team. But we don't. Why? Because it's professional football, not Pop Warner. These are grown man, not kids. If they're going to whine about getting scored on too much, they shouldn't be on the field.

The fact that its professional should be more of a reason for a team to behave like professionals. The Skins actually aren't doing much whining at all. Its divided in the media and amongst fans over what is right to do. The skins, for the most part, are classy enough not to blow this up into a big deal? Why? Maybe because the embarassment it would entail is unnessary?

Ironically enough, we actually do have threads devoted to all those thigns. You've never seen a thread about Sean Taylor and saying hes a dritbag? Or 1000 threads on Merriman and his dance? Or If CJ is to selfish ebcasue of his celebrations. Or if TO is a cancer? Or if Ray dances too much? No bottom line is, there actually are threads and discussions on those. I can't belive you chose those as examples, considering those are frequently discussed topics.

And yes, because a team runs it up instead of a player, it does make a difference. Again, one is a team act, albeit sparked by the head coach. The other is a player going against the norm of a team. Yes the coach is only one person. He's also the figurehead of that team. I don't think every single Patriot is unsportsmanlike, but its common when a coach directs the team in a certain way, that the team be classified by his actions...whereas a Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens are representing themselves, with a slight affiliation to team.

Moses
10-31-2007, 12:14 AM
The fact that its professional should be more of a reason for a team to behave like professionals. The Skins actually aren't doing much whining at all. Its divided in the media and amongst fans over what is right to do. The skins, for the most part, are classy enough not to blow this up into a big deal? Why? Maybe because the embarassment it would entail is unnessary?

Ironically enough, we actually do have threads devoted to all those thigns. You've never seen a thread about Sean Taylor and saying hes a dritbag? Or 1000 threads on Merriman and his dance? Or If CJ is to selfish ebcasue of his celebrations. Or if TO is a cancer? Or if Ray dances too much? No bottom line is, there actually are threads and discussions on those. I can't belive you chose those as examples, considering those are frequently discussed topics.

And yes, because a team runs it up instead of a player, it does make a difference. Again, one is a team act, albeit sparked by the head coach. The other is a player going against the norm of a team. Yes the coach is only one person. He's also the figurehead of that team. I don't think every single Patriot is unsportsmanlike, but its common when a coach directs the team in a certain way, that the team be classified by his actions...whereas a Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens are representing themselves, with a slight affiliation to team.

Most defences in the league have swagger. It's not just Ray Lewis or Sean Taylor who do dances and are "unsportsmanlike". It's every player on that defence. They all do that stuff.

Stop acting like the Patriots are the only "unsportsmanlike" team in the league.

Professional athletes are paid to win football games, not to ensure that the opposing teams feelings aren't hurt.

You want to know why the majority of the Redskins organization isn't complaining about the Patriots beating them by so much? Because they realize that it is nobody's fault but their own.

JK17
10-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Most defences in the league have swagger. It's not just Ray Lewis or Sean Taylor who do dances and are "unsportsmanlike". It's every player on that defence. They all do that stuff.

Thats a huge generalization that you have no way of proving. Not every defense has swagger, or even swagger in an unsportsmanlike way. Plenty of defenses can rally themselves up, without demeaning another team. It's not every player on any defense.

Stop acting like the Patriots are the only "unsportsmanlike" team in the league.

Point out where I said they were. Or are you just assuming thats what I think. There are plenty of classless or unsportsmanlike teams. But the Pats are in the spotlight right now, and theyre the ones who are most blatantly unsportsmanlike. Again, stop assuming my argument, and read what I'm writing. I'm sure there are other teams acting unsportsmanlike.

But I'm not going to hold an entire team as unsportsmanlike because of one player.

Professional athletes are paid to win football games, not to ensure that the opposing teams feelings aren't hurt.

They're also payed to represent their team well, and be role models? Don't agree? Name one business that approves or supports of employees belittling other employees.

You want to know why the majority of the Redskins organization isn't complaining about the Patriots beating them by so much? Because they realize that it is nobody's fault but their own.

Yeah, that actaully is a big part of it. They know they played terrible. If I had the score run up on me when I was embarrased I'd sure want to sweep it under the rug too. It doesn't mean they don't think it was run up. And it also doesn't give you the authority to speak on behalf of the Redskins organization.

Average OT LB
10-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Thats a huge generalization that you have no way of proving. Not every defense has swagger, or even swagger in an unsportsmanlike way. Plenty of defenses can rally themselves up, without demeaning another team. It's not every player on any defense.

Point out where I said they were. Or are you just assuming thats what I think. There are plenty of classless or unsportsmanlike teams. But the Pats are in the spotlight right now, and theyre the ones who are most blatantly unsportsmanlike. Again, stop assuming my argument, and read what I'm writing. I'm sure there are other teams acting unsportsmanlike.

But I'm not going to hold an entire team as unsportsmanlike because of one player.

They're also payed to represent their team well, and be role models? Don't agree? Name one business that approves or supports of employees belittling other employees.

Yeah, that actaully is a big part of it. They know they played terrible. If I had the score run up on me when I was embarrased I'd sure want to sweep it under the rug too. It doesn't mean they don't think it was run up. And it also doesn't give you the authority to speak on behalf of the Redskins organization.

high quality team leader type post.. kidna to no avail.. like trying to kill a cockroach..

JK17
10-31-2007, 12:52 AM
high quality team leader type post.. kidna to no avail.. like trying to kill a cockroach..

Thanks?

Well, I got a Spanish test in about 6 hours, so I should get sleep...but as far as being on topic, I really am unconvinced that there is a concrete, definitive answer on the subject, its just a matter or personal opinion on how seriosuly you view what as a violation of "good sportsmanship"...which is why again, I can't see this argumnet ending. The people who will only be opposed to this because they hate the Pats, are in my mind, no different then the people convinced that the only reason this is a big deal is because it is the Pats.

Average OT LB
10-31-2007, 12:55 AM

Id really like to know the other unsportsmanlike teams in the leauge.. i really dont know any.. becuase when you say team your implying that the coach and all the players are unsportsmanlike.. there is no team that fits that bill at all... but one, the patriots.. its the only team in the league that does stupid stuff like this and gets called out for it..

Rmemeber hwne spurrier came up in the league, and in the preseason he threw bombs ran up the score and embarressed other teams while not really playing subs? yeah, he really made alot of friends.. he had alot of success in the league didnt he.. it just goes to show that taking the hard route just doesnt pay off and thats what knowledgable people know

but i gotta give credit where credit is due.. the pats fans are loyal. Their team is bein ******** right now and theyre defending that, like i would for the chargers so i gotta give props there... but moses are you a pat fan? why argue so hard if not jut to argue it makes no sense..

brat316
10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
ITS NE job to run up the score, its their game plan and they don't care wat peopl think. Ya gotta love that more points you score the better. Wat if somehow Washington caught up then they would have been like maybe we should have went for it on 4th down.

Also Washington couldn't stop them, the back up ran it in.

someone447
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't mind playing your starters all game, it is pro football. What I do have a problem with is going for it on 4th down up by 28+(unless it is still the first half.) Or by being up 35 in the 4th and keep throwing it. Unless it is third and long, you run the ball. Even if it is third and long, you don't go deep, just try to get the first down.

brat316
10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
WHy, why not take that chance and have fun, try and see what you can do, if ur up by 35 you have faith in your Qb, your like yo lets see how good this team is if they can stop us. They are showing off, Redskins should have stopped them on 4th down, it pretty much a give me, when they pass on 4th down and short. Why not go deep on third and long take the chance ur up by pretty much a shut out. Hey try a trick play, you need to pick up the first down to keep the clock rolling. People hate on Marty ball, becuase he just sat on the ball and ran, even on third an long he ran, and the ball would be turned over.

JK17
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
WHy, why not take that chance and have fun, try and see what you can do, if ur up by 35 you have faith in your Qb, your like yo lets see how good this team is if they can stop us. They are showing off, Redskins should have stopped them on 4th down, it pretty much a give me, when they pass on 4th down and short.

How is it a give me passing on fourth and short? Which they didn't even do...they passed after it...You answered yourself why not to do it, its showing off, which you shouldn't need to do. But if you want a real reason, its already been said, your risking your entire season if an injury occurs to your QB. If you don't have a problem with embarrasing another team for no reason, then there is no other real reason why not too however.

Why not go deep on third and long take the chance ur up by pretty much a shut out. Hey try a trick play, you need to pick up the first down to keep the clock rolling.

Because its unnessary, it risks injury, and its just pointless showboating for the sole purpose of embarassment, thats why not to do it. Not to mention risking injuried by having Brady take five or seven step drops to throw deep. I know the Line doesn't let up much, but what if its picked off and someone takes a shot on Brady while blocking. That's certianly happened before.

Your contradicting yourself in your last sentence. Try a trick play, you need a first down to keep the clock rolling? So now you get that first down, and then you pass...clearly not the reason you went for it.

People hate on Marty ball, becuase he just sat on the ball and ran, even on third an long he ran, and the ball would be turned over.

Thats not even true, third and long was never even really a running down, even in MartyBall. Marty Ball refers to smart football, good defense, and disciplined play...a lot of which is through controlling the clock by running the ball. But the difference is, people hated it because it kept the game close all game, was not exciting. No one is saying the Pats should be running the ball since the first snap. When your up by that much Marty Ball is appropriate to run.

Don Vito
10-31-2007, 02:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/10/30/pats.running.up/index.html?eref=T1

This is the cover article on SI.com, and it says "Deal with it, NFL". The article covers most of the things we have talked about in this thread, I just didn't realize that this running up the score thing was big enough to make it to the front of SI. It is all being blown out of proportion in my opinion, like so many have said this is the NFL. If the Redskins wanted to stop the passing game from torching them then maybe one of their 4 DBs who all were drafted higher than every single Patriots offensive starter should have done something about it.

lod01
10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Washington got what it deserved. If you don't man up at the LOS and punch Moss and Stallworth in the mouth and bring between 5-7 at Brady every play, you deserve the beating you are going to take.
Williams called the exact opposite defense he should ahve called to give them a chance.

What did NE do with Harrison and Wayne? Beat them up. How do these idiots make bonehead coaching moves like WAS did this past weekend?

Rob S
10-31-2007, 04:05 PM
it's pro sports......get over it. If your business sucks, rival companies will crush it and nobody cares. Same for football, it is the players job you should expect them to do it as well as possible. Now, leaving starters in is a stupid move imo because of injuries, but that is a totally different issue.

Smooth Criminal
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't care at all. No ones feelings are going to get hurt. It isn't breaking any rules. Doesn't bother me at all.

In the end this can only effect two things, stats and The Patriots, and I don't give a damn about either one.

RaiderNation
11-01-2007, 06:06 PM
its legal.....

ShutDwn
11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
If no one cares about creating bad blood than there should be no pity for them when they have to deal with the repercussions.

"At some point if this continues, someone's going to take a cheap shot,'' Cowher said. "Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?''

There is a pretty high likely hood this will happen if they keep this up. At that point there is no one to blame but the Patriots. And the Patriots will have to ask themselves a question: Was it really worth it?

It is stupid all around, from being unsportsmanlike like all the way to having huge risk of injury.

Moses
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
If no one cares about creating bad blood than there should be no pity for them when they have to deal with the repercussions.

There is a pretty high likely hood this will happen if they keep this up. At that point there is no one to blame but the Patriots. And the Patriots will have to ask themselves a question: Was it really worth it?

It is stupid all around, from being unsportsmanlike like all the way to having huge risk of injury.

Ya, not like the blame should go on the player who executed the cheap shot...

You're walking down the street. Some guy calls you an idiot. You beat him to within an inch of his life. I guess he's to blame since he called you an idiot.

someone447
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Ya, not like the blame should go on the player who executed the cheap shot...

You're walking down the street. Some guy calls you an idiot. You beat him to within an inch of his life. I guess he's to blame since he called you an idiot.

It's not entirely unexpected, so yes, he is partly to blame.

Moses
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
It's not entirely unexpected, so yes, he is partly to blame.

^^^

The problem with society.

someone447
11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
^^^

I would disagree with that, the person who called the other an idiot with no provocation deserves to get his ass beat. It is all about personal responsibility, if you do something stupid, you better be prepared to take the consequences.

I won't go up to a big, angry, drunk mother******, and talk **** to him. If I did, it would be like asking to get my ass kicked.

JK17
11-02-2007, 01:08 AM
^^^

Its ironic that you talk about problems with society, and then say its perfectly okay for the Patriots to humiliate and demean a team after clearly having a game in hand. Its kind of hypocritical, considering the message they are sending, to society.

Average OT LB
11-02-2007, 01:37 AM
it's pro sports......get over it. If your business sucks, rival companies will crush it and nobody cares. Same for football, it is the players job you should expect them to do it as well as possible. Now, leaving starters in is a stupid move imo because of injuries, but that is a totally different issue.

yes its a buisness, yes the patriots can do whatever they want. No, its not soley a buisness, and no injuries to starters is not a separate issue.

When you play football, its a national product.. its not like microsoft or some big corporation. When an employee gets arrested for a buisness, you dont find out about it. I dunno about you but i dont see an espn for microsoft anywhere.. Pro sports is a buisness that is an undeniable fact, but there are extra precautions that should be taken in addition to ones that are needed on the corprate level. For instance, When tom brady is going for it on 4th down, passing 38 times and running up the score on an opposing team when he doesnt have to, sends a bad message to the viewers, aka 'the buyers'. Now in addition to the numerous negative reactions that can occur to the players physical well being, to an extent the pocket book can take a hit too. Now, I'm not saying this is an immediate cause and effect, what i am saying is that becuase of their actions the patriots will damage their potential fan base. Let me explain that...

Say a team everyone likes, say the saints.. go 16-0 win the super bwol, the whole nine yards.. theyre gonna have market sales go through the roof, they're gonna have acouple hundred special features on ESPN and a bunch of other things to go along with it.. All of this is included with the overall positive impact the NFL will recieve as well as a whole..

I dunno about you, but for the most part i think everyone is rooting against the patriots, would rather see them lose, and dont want to see them win a super bowl. I know I'm not going to go and buy a jersey.. and i know i now think less of the team for the stunts they've pulled recently.. Those kinda actions are damaging to the teams credibilty for a long time.. I liken what I'm trying to convey to a player like Tank Johnson. He negatively impacted the team so they cut him. What I'm trying to say, is that its not smart as a buisness or a team to run of the score and be disrespectful. Whether or not What ive listed is significant or not, its undeniable that it is negatively impactful, and easily avoidable. The bottom line is that it makes no sense whatsoever to run up the score..

Sniper
11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I won't go up to a big, angry, drunk mother******, and talk **** to him. If I did, it would be like asking to get my ass kicked.

Let's put it this way.....The Patriots are the big, angry, mother ****** who got **** talked to. The NFL is who is asking to get their ass kicked.

Iamcanadian
11-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Personally, I think BB loves the criticism. He uses it to modivate his team and give them a huge emotional edge over his opponents.
He doesn't have to wait for an opponent to open his mouth to post it on the team's bulleten board, the haters are giving him much stronger armunition. He's probably thinking to himself that videogate is the best thing that ever happened to him and wishing that all the haters keep it up. His team now has the bunker mentality of us vs them and we can all see the results.
I don't think BB could have planned it any better if he had wanted to.

someone447
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Let's put it this way.....The Patriots are the big, angry, mother ****** who got **** talked to. The NFL is who is asking to get their ass kicked.

Then they shouldn't be surprised when they get hit in the balls. Eventually the little guy who talked **** won't accept what should happen, and will instead make what he wants to happen, happen.

Jvig43
11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Its ironic that you talk about problems with society, and then say its perfectly okay for the Patriots to humiliate and demean a team after clearly having a game in hand. Its kind of hypocritical, considering the message they are sending, to society.

Whoa, what? problems in society are much differnt then those of the NFL, a man who got beat down for calling someone an idiot such as moses stated and a team running up the score are so far apart that i cant believe what you just said. he wasnt being hypocrytical at all, and its funny how people get so angry when a team runs the score up in the FREAKING NFL. im sure if i was a fan of the skins, id be upset too, but id be more upset that the defense didnt show up then that the pats offense was doing what it gets paid to do. id imagine that if the pats had pulled their starters out in the third up 32 somewhat points and put in their backups, wed all be posting on the board, WAS IT IS DISRESPECTFUL FOR THE PATS TO TAKE THEIR STARTERS OUT SO SOON? its getting to the point where the team cant even win a game without being criticized. its football, let them get paid to play the game which happens to be there job.

JK17
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Whoa, what? problems in society are much differnt then those of the NFL, a man who got beat down for calling someone an idiot such as moses stated and a team running up the score are so far apart that i cant believe what you just said. he wasnt being hypocrytical at all, and its funny how people get so angry when a team runs the score up in the FREAKING NFL. im sure if i was a fan of the skins, id be upset too, but id be more upset that the defense didnt show up then that the pats offense was doing what it gets paid to do. id imagine that if the pats had pulled their starters out in the third up 32 somewhat points and put in their backups, wed all be posting on the board, WAS IT IS DISRESPECTFUL FOR THE PATS TO TAKE THEIR STARTERS OUT SO SOON? its getting to the point where the team cant even win a game without being criticized. its football, let them get paid to play the game which happens to be there job.

Actually, a problem in society would be the fact that its widely accepted to run up the score for the sole purpose of embarassment. Yes, that actually would be a problem with society, thats it become okay to bolster your own ego by doing everything you can too embarass your opponent. And yes, if someone on the street calls you an idiot, he's provoking a fight. There's accountability on both ends. Sort of like running up the score; they should have stopped it, but since they clearly weren't there's no reason for the Pats to keep doing it. Both sides have accountability for it.

And no, I don't think if they pulled their starters everyone would say its disrespectful. I think that just another attempt at justifying leaving your starters in until the middle/late parts of the fourth quarter. It's the offenses job to score. But its common courtesy and yes, an unwritten rule, you don't run up the score. But again, if its fine that you think its okay to embarass a team its a personal opinion developed from your own experience and beliefs. Clearly there's an argument for both ways, but in summary I would say its a similar wrong message to society to run up a score. The fact that its the NFL doesn't matter, considering they are supposed to be the role models.

Vikes99ej
11-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Nah, I don't have a problem with it. It's the defense's fault for not being able to stop them. Hopefully it motivates the defense to play better. I almost wish the Pats faced the Vikes again this year.

Jvig43
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Actually, a problem in society would be the fact that its widely accepted to run up the score for the sole purpose of embarassment. Yes, that actually would be a problem with society, thats it become okay to bolster your own ego by doing everything you can too embarass your opponent. And yes, if someone on the street calls you an idiot, he's provoking a fight. There's accountability on both ends. Sort of like running up the score; they should have stopped it, but since they clearly weren't there's no reason for the Pats to keep doing it. Both sides have accountability for it.

And no, I don't think if they pulled their starters everyone would say its disrespectful. I think that just another attempt at justifying leaving your starters in until the middle/late parts of the fourth quarter. It's the offenses job to score. But its common courtesy and yes, an unwritten rule, you don't run up the score. But again, if its fine that you think its okay to embarass a team its a personal opinion developed from your own experience and beliefs. Clearly there's an argument for both ways, but in summary I would say its a similar wrong message to society to run up a score. The fact that its the NFL doesn't matter, considering they are supposed to be the role models.

Im taking a course in sports recreation and we had a whole lecture about whether or not athletes are role models, and why. i found it interesting that no one brought up the fact that running up the score wasnt considered bad sportsmanship, and that things that athletes did outside of the sport was far more persuasive then scoring when its unnecassary, and the professor is a huge jets fan and hates the fact that the pats are winning games like they are, but i agree with you, this all comes down to personal opinion, and i guess i read your first quote wrong, i thought you were trying to say that running up the score IS the problem with society, my B.

ks_perfection
11-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't have a problem with it unless you pass up the chacne to take a kneel down that would end the game. Which really is moronic coaching, risking your players to injury.

ruthlessrussian
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
To be honest I see no reason why its wrong for the pats to do it. Like so many people have said earlier in this thread "if you dont like it do something about it".
Im a diehard Bills fan so obviously I really cant stand the Pats. But when they put up up 38 on us earlier this year I wasnt pissed at the Patriots. Why should I be? My teams defense gave up the points. My teams offense couldnt move the ball againts the Pats D to make it a game. The Patriots were better. All they are doing now is making a case for how much better they are then every other team in the league right now and securing theyre place in history!
Seriously, if your hurt by the fact that the Patriots are better then your favorite team, then you really need to get a life. Stop b****ing!

Average OT LB
11-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Im taking a course in sports recreation and we had a whole lecture about whether or not athletes are role models, and why. i found it interesting that no one brought up the fact that running up the score wasnt considered bad sportsmanship, and that things that athletes did outside of the sport was far more persuasive then scoring when its unnecassary, and the professor is a huge jets fan and hates the fact that the pats are winning games like they are, but i agree with you, this all comes down to personal opinion, and i guess i read your first quote wrong, i thought you were trying to say that running up the score IS the problem with society, my B.

haha, i dont usually point things out like this cause i know its a forum so grammar and stuff like that doesnt matter... but thats the longest sentence ive ever seen lol...

also, I'm pretty sure that people have brought up the point that running up the score was bad sportsmanship.. a few times too.. maybe im misreading that but taking it at face value it doesnt seem right..

Jvig43
11-03-2007, 02:10 PM
no i was saying no one in my class has stated anything about it being bad sportsmanship, you prolly misunderstood cause i hate periods, ever since the sixth grade when i was on my first date. echhhhh.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm more appalled by Texas' 70-3 Shellacking of Colorado 2 years ago.