PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo signs

bearsfan_51
10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
6 years 67.5 million, 31 million guaranteed.

per ESPN

neko4
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Whatever happen to modest Romo?

Also has this been posted?
http://omg.yahoo.com/britney-spears-and-tony-romos-night-out/news/3481

bearsfan_51
10-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I'd love to rip the Cowboys but I actually can't. Romo will prove if his is an elite QB once TO leaves/dies. He doesn't have elite skills but he's running a top-notch offense very well.

neko4
10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I think he already is considering his next best target this year has been a TE and Crayton.

T-RICH49
10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I am surprised something was done during the season I'd figured they'd wait until the season was through to work out a deal

PACKmanN
10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
around the same amount Bulger got. I was right :)

bearsfan_51
10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
I am surprised something was done during the season I'd figured they'd wait until the season was through to work out a deal

I believe this was the last week of the season where you could extend players and have some of the money apply to this years cap. I dunno how much the Cowboys were under, but that's probably why.

neko4
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I believe this was the last week of the season where you could extend players and have some of the money apply to this years cap. I dunno how much the Cowboys were under, but that's probably why.
If thats the case its time to resign favre to an 8 year deal worth a billion

PACKmanN
10-29-2007, 05:24 PM
If thats the case its time to resign favre to an 8 year deal worth a billion

um no. A-Rod needs to be signed for 30 million a year :)

MaddHatter
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3085827

Good deal for all parties

yourfavestoner
10-29-2007, 05:45 PM

If they would have waited until the end of the season, that deal would probably be close to twice as much as the one they worked out right now. Especially if the Cowboys go deep into the postseason.

DMWSackMachine
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
the link I read said 30mil in guarantees, but whatever.

Now can we put all of these "the Cowboys must secretly doubt Romo, why else wouldn't he have signed yet?" questions to bed? The reality of these things is that, like most business deals, deadlines are what forces activity. You had to know that Jerry wanted to get as much of Romo's bonus money on THIS year's cap (of which we are anywhere from 12-21 million under, depending on where you are getting your info) as he could. To put that much money on this season's ledger and thus have it freed up in subsequent seasons is a HUGE factor, as it will help to maintain flexibility.

In the end, I think Romo got a little (maybe 2 mil/year at the most) less than he could have had he waited til the end of the season and negotiated on the open market, but in exchange for security and having the money in hand immediately, it's a pretty fair trade off.

I'm just relieved that I don't have to listen to all the stupid sportscasters sit and talk about how Jerry knows in his heart that Romo is trash because he hasn't given him his money, and that he is terrified of the oncoming debacle that Romo is about to inflict upon the franchise. Oh, wait, that was just Skip Bayless.

Flyboy
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Damn you. I was just about to post this.

Turtlepower
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I hate this man.

Geo
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Bulger received $30M in guaranteed money too? That's a lot.

What's sad is that the overall figures are similar to what Jamarcus Russell signed as the first overall pick, some kid fresh out of college without taking a single snap in the professional level. Rookie contracts in the Top 16 are far too high.

Smokey Joe
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I think this will come back to bite the cowboys...

This is by far the largest contract a former UDFA has gotten, it has to be.

CC.SD
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I still think it's pretty dick of him to throw a party at the office and exclude people though.

DMWSackMachine
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Only because it's the most recent. Rod Smith got a comparable contract (for his position) from Denver, Jake Delhomme got a similar contract (relative to the economics of that year) from Carolina. It's not unprecedented by a long shot. We're seeing contract values rise dramatically right now, with the new collective bargaining agreement in conjunction with the burgeoning economy of the NFL in general.

In fact, there is an excellent chance that this contract might look like a complete steal in 3 years.

stephenson86
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
um no. A-Rod needs to be signed for 30 million a year :)

wait till you see jim sorgi's extension

Shiver
10-31-2007, 01:48 PM
What an awful deal for Romo. He's barely making more than what Marc Bulger is getting and Ben Roethlisberger will soon be signed to a bigger deal. I am pretty sure most people would say that Romo is better than Bulger, and quite a few would have him over Ben as well. On the other hand Jerry Jones' made a great deal.

D-Unit
10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Whatever happen to modest Romo?

Also has this been posted?
http://omg.yahoo.com/britney-spears-and-tony-romos-night-out/news/3481
My question is... What were you doing at that site???

Tony has already address the rumors. All he did was say hi to Brittany and talked for a few minutes.

D-Unit
10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
What an awful deal for Romo. He's barely making more than what Marc Bulger is getting and Ben Roethlisberger will soon be signed to a bigger deal. I am pretty sure most people would say that Romo is better than Bulger, and quite a few would have him over Ben as well. On the other hand Jerry Jones' made a great deal.
We all know Jerry has made some dumb moves as a GM in his career, but he's progressively gotten better and better. ...and as a fan, I have to appreciate that.

This deal was a great bargain for the franchise and puts us in great position to resign and extend our other players.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Now that he has is money he will regress back to the form that made him UDFA in the first place.

Just kidding.

tylerb929
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
wait till you see jim sorgi's extension

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3084852

He got his extension 3 days ago, the terms of his contract have not been announced yet.

LonghornsLegend
11-01-2007, 09:22 AM
I think this will come back to bite the cowboys...

This is by far the largest contract a former UDFA has gotten, it has to be.

so he doesnt deserve money because he wasnt drafted?? So we probably should of just stuck with Ryan Leaf when we had him because he was drafted higher then Romo and obviously deserved that money more

portermvp84
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I give props to both sides. Romo is worth the money, he has already proven himself as a elite athlete. Cowbys def got a gem.

osi+ap=allshallperish
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I think he already is considering his next best target this year has been a TE and Crayton.

Not just a te, one of the top 5 tes in the league, arguably the best route running te of the top tes as well.

ks_perfection
11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Dallas desperatly needs to keep both. Both are the 2 top targets this year and there young. TO and Glenn are both on the decline, in a few years both will be gone.