PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 01:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3085119

Usually this guy's articles aren't worth the electricity money to run a computer to open ESPN and read what he has to say, but this one is a nail on the head situation.

Discuss.

Shiver
10-30-2007, 02:04 AM
David Carr is incompetent and is unable to hit his receivers down the field? This sounds vaguely familiar somehow...

d34ng3l021
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Well they did have Captain Checkdown as their QB for a bit. But the offensive gameplan should still revolve around him. If he cant get the ball deep, get him the ball short. Just get him the ball.

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 02:55 AM
I agree entireley, it doesn't matter where you get him the ball, it could be on a quick out or a fly route, he's got a chance to take it to the house.

Look at his highlights from 05 and 06, he's flat out dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Geo
10-30-2007, 04:26 AM
The Panthers have absolutely no faith in Carr, nor should they really.

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 04:32 AM
They should go to a running offense instead of the more balanced approach they have now, I'd be trying to run the ball 40 of 55 odd snaps in the game and use the other 15 to pass to steve smith.

It sounds stupid but it'd be more effective than nothing.

bigbluedefense
10-30-2007, 08:23 AM
I love John Fox, but quite honestly, he's doing a poor job coaching this team.

He continues to start Foster when Williams is clearly the better player. He's not getting Smith involved in the offense, they continue to ignore the TE position (i understand that the offense isn't built around it, but come on, who else do they have other than Smith? Wouldn't it make sense to get something there?)

Defense is not playing well. The team is not motivated. Just a bad coaching job. Sure he needs to overhaul his roster, but still. Fox deserves alot of blame.

brat316
10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
They do have 2 explosive players Williams and Smith, get those guys the ball. Also Carr, what are u doing, u might as well take the chance and throw the ball to Smith, where ever he is, u might get a int, or u might get a TD.

bored of education
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Kyle Boller=Panther=Rifle=Steve Smith Happy as long as they have an offensive line and run game=DeAngelo Wiliams needs to carry the load and have DeShaun run 8-12 times a game=need a TE to checkdown to (King is decent)=Jarrett number 2=Colbert #3=WTF is going in with this organization?

lod01
10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
The only chance Smith has with carr as QB is to do it all himself. That's what AJ had to deal with for 5 years. Short passes, take a beating and hope to break a tackle. Once carr was dismissed, AJ had the longest TD catch of his career in the very 1st game.

Carr is the worst. No idea what to do out there other than dump it off. He's an embarrassment to all NFL QBs.

Shiver
10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
The Panthers need to acquire JP Losman. They need a QB who will lock unto the #1 receiver and throw the deep ball whenever possible. Look how Lee Evans' stats dropped off when they went to Edwards, and how he had a monster game when Losman came back this week. If Edwards is the future in Buffalo, supposedly, then Carolina should make a move.

Geo
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
That's a pretty good idea, Shiver. Losman has a cannon, although he should thank his lucky stars Lee Evans turned a potential crushing interception that could have lost the game to a superb touchdown that sealed the game against the Jets.

Plus Losman is experienced enough that he can play from day one, as opposed to drafting a rookie quarterback. Although Delhomme will be healthy in time for next season, no? Still wouldn't hurt to have both Delhomme and Losman, that's excellent depth and Losman would have a very good veteran to learn from.

Hopefully the Bills can get a 2nd round pick out of Carolina for Losman, that would be great.

bearsfan_51
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Is Dwayne Jarrett just lazy? Problems with the coaching staff? Lingering injuries?

I mean....you've basically got nobody at WR outside of Smith and the guy can't even get activated on Gameday? I guess this is why you don't draft rookies past the 1st round that can't play on special teams.

It's also funny how he spent all year saying he wasn't like Mike Williams, and now appears to be a carbon copy.

Modano
10-30-2007, 01:12 PM
I love John Fox, but quite honestly, he's doing a poor job coaching this team.

He continues to start Foster when Williams is clearly the better player. He's not getting Smith involved in the offense, they continue to ignore the TE position (i understand that the offense isn't built around it, but come on, who else do they have other than Smith? Wouldn't it make sense to get something there?)

Defense is not playing well. The team is not motivated. Just a bad coaching job. Sure he needs to overhaul his roster, but still. Fox deserves alot of blame.

Amen. I was very high on DeAngelo coming out of college, it's frustrating to see him getting only a few carries.

brat316
10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Where is this Dwayne jarrett that they drafted and cut KeyShawn

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
That's a pretty good idea, Shiver. Losman has a cannon, although he should thank his lucky stars Lee Evans turned a potential crushing interception that could have lost the game to a superb touchdown that sealed the game against the Jets.

Plus Losman is experienced enough that he can play from day one, as opposed to drafting a rookie quarterback. Although Delhomme will be healthy in time for next season, no? Still wouldn't hurt to have both Delhomme and Losman, that's excellent depth and Losman would have a very good veteran to learn from.

Hopefully the Bills can get a 2nd round pick out of Carolina for Losman, that would be great.

I wouldn't mind getting Losman, and I think he'd be a great fit.

As for Dwayne Jarrett, as of right now, there's absolutely no word as to why he's not been active for games and only has one catch.

Here's a reason for you.

Smith, Colbert, Carter are always going to be activated, we also activate Robinson since we need him on returns.

Then we've got 4 safeties which we keep on and our defensive line rotation.

I'm not worried about Jarrett he was making strides in TC, its just he doesn't know the offense, if I didn't see him take the field till next year I'd be worried.

What I wouldn't do personally is speculate on what a player isn't doing to make the field in an effort to tarnish someone's opinions. That's just foolish, since I would be probably be proven wrong later.

Shiver
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Is Dwayne Jarrett just lazy? Problems with the coaching staff? Lingering injuries?

I mean....you've basically got nobody at WR outside of Smith and the guy can't even get activated on Gameday? I guess this is why you don't draft rookies past the 1st round that can't play on special teams.

It's also funny how he spent all year saying he wasn't like Mike Williams, and now appears to be a carbon copy.

Apparently he is just lazy.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/10/smith-has-messa.html

Very interesting incident just happened in the locker room. Two reporters were talking with rookie receiver Dwayne Jarrett about his frustration at barely getting to play after being a second-round pick. As Jarrett was talking, receiver Steve Smith, who hasn’t been talking to the media recently, walked out to his own locker and talked to Jarrett.
“Instead of talking to the media, why don’t you go watch some film?’’ Smith said.
Jarrett gave a slight smile and kept talking to the media.
Smith, followed up in a very strong tone.
“Seriously,’’ Smith said.
Jarrett did keep talking and we’ll have a full story on his rough rookie season in tomorrow’s paper. – PAT YASINSKAS

brat316
10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah so Jarrett is just lazy. i think he should take Smith's advice, he been there done that.

lod01
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Why would anyone be interviewing that bust anyway? The guy was a 2nd rounder and can't even get on the field while players like Jacoby Jones, James Jones and L. Robinson are seeing a lot of action. Smith went easy on that zero.

ShutDwn
10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Apparently he is just lazy.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/10/smith-has-messa.html

Yeah, I was going to post that.

Basically a nice way of saying: "Get your butt to work you idiot"

I don't want to ever draft a USC receiver again. Hell, I wouldn't get a USC player. They all have the Pete Carroll, we are too cool to work attitude. Always accustomed to being more talented. Give me the small school talents with determination to make a name for themselves. For a lot of these big program kids, playing on Sunday isn't that big a step in terms of spotlight. They don't think they need to make their mark as much.

Not that big schools aren't good, I just don't like the self deserving attitude so many of them have.

Shiver
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the same nonchalant attitude seems to be present among most USC players.

BlindSite
10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
I stand corrected and apologise for ripping bearsfan51, that's seriously my bad.

Hopefully he gets his ass into gear.

brat316
10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeha, now that i think about, also of USC players drafted have had that im better than most of you guys attitude and end up doing squat. Especially the WR. Look at how so far Carrol era USC players are doing,

Jarrett-not in feild
White-Finally on feild
Patterson-Doesn't show up plays, but not an impact player
Bing-Where is he
Bush-given to many endorsements for doing nothing
Justice-Couldn't block the DE
Williams-Just cut

Troy and Tatpu and Palmer- i think are the only good players, and that was Carrolls first year, well except for tatpu

ShutDwn
10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, the same nonchalant attitude seems to be present among most USC players.

Have you seen their walk throughs? They don't even really practice. Lineman doing returns, playing QB, Carroll messing around. Sure it is fun but it doesn't result in good work ethic.

BlindSite
10-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Kalil atleast is showing a lot of upside for the future, when he takes the field though probably won't be until wahle retires.

ShutDwn
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Au7lX9WD9WFPLMo0Jk2OnnQdsLYF?slug=ap-panthers-receivingwoes&prov=ap&type=lgns

"The biggest thing for Dwayne is just coming from the offense he was at with USC, they didn't ask him to do a whole lot," Carr said. "When you come here and you're trying to break into the top group, you've got to know everything. You've got to know everyone's position."

brat316
10-31-2007, 10:57 PM
so dont draft usc WR

soybean
10-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Justice-Couldn't block the DE

lol, that made me laugh. the DE? hahah do you watch football?

also, deuce latui is doing well on arizona.

ryan kalil if im not mistaken is doing pretty good for carolina as well?

you can call us lineman U. watch out for ryan kalil's brother Matt kalil.

brat316
10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
yes the defesive end wats his name Osi U

soybean
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't want to ever draft a USC receiver again. Hell, I wouldn't get a USC player. They all have the Pete Carroll, we are too cool to work attitude. Always accustomed to being more talented. Give me the small school talents with determination to make a name for themselves. For a lot of these big program kids, playing on Sunday isn't that big a step in terms of spotlight. They don't think they need to make their mark as much.

Not that big schools aren't good, I just don't like the self deserving attitude so many of them have.

well steve smith has been hard working, don't know how that'll pay off on the field seeing how he's injured right now.

jballa838
10-31-2007, 11:19 PM
and they wonder why pete carroll won't coach the pros.
he couldnt instill work ethic into Dwayne Jarrett at SC, i dont think Carroll could cut it and would look horrible in teh pros.

BlindSite
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
If Jarrett does get his head on straight though, he'll be an ass kicker for a long time. he's only just turned 21, that gives him if he plays till the age most receivers do 34-35 13/14 years in the league.

I wish he wasn't such a bum at this stage though.

Moses
11-01-2007, 01:50 AM
and they wonder why pete carroll won't coach the pros.
he couldnt instill work ethic into Dwayne Jarrett at SC, i dont think Carroll could cut it and would look horrible in teh pros.

Carolina's coaches haven't been able to instill any work ethic into him either...

LonghornsLegend
11-01-2007, 09:34 AM
That is a sad story about Jarrett being so lazy, when you look at guys like Colston and read their story, its sad thinking about how Jarrett hasnt been working hard to get onto the field and better themselves, and Colston worked his butt off that whole off season to improve, I remember them talking about how bad he was and Payton grilling him and he worked to get into that rotation, and then Stallworth was traded there after...

I love what Steve Smith said to him though lol, thats classic...He wasnt being funny at all, DJ probably walks around with that attitude like he runs the world, and he's going to end up never seeing the field....

I cant believe certain Cowboys fans *cough D-Unit* ;) saw him as a 1st rounder and wanted him here, like if he cant get activated for the Panthers he would even come close to our wr rotation

soybean
11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Au7lX9WD9WFPLMo0Jk2OnnQdsLYF?slug=ap-panthers-receivingwoes&prov=ap&type=lgns

in all fairness. carr saying someone isn't pulling their weight? now that's irony.

ShutDwn
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
well steve smith has been hard working, don't know how that'll pay off on the field seeing how he's injured right now.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Smith isn't injured and neither is Jarrett.

soybean
11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I have no idea what you are trying to say. Smith isn't injured and neither is Jarrett.

whoops should have made it more clear.

steve smith (wr, nyg) he's been working hard and has been tearin it up in spring practice and training camp.

Flyboy
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
That is a sad story about Jarrett being so lazy, when you look at guys like Colston and read their story, its sad thinking about how Jarrett hasnt been working hard to get onto the field and better themselves, and Colston worked his butt off that whole off season to improve, I remember them talking about how bad he was and Payton grilling him and he worked to get into that rotation, and then Stallworth was traded there after...

That's pretty much exactly what happened. He has struggled a bit this year but hopefully last week was the game he needed to get on track. Plus, him in the slot is the best place to use him on the field.

DJ has some similar attributes to Colston too (although, Colston doesn't really have trouble getting off the LOS for the most part)... sad indeed.

ShutDwn
11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
whoops should have made it more clear.

steve smith (wr, nyg) he's been working hard and has been tearin it up in spring practice and training camp.

Oh okay. Yeah, I liked him more than Jarrett, I thought that he had more drive, and I liked his game better too. He seemed to be doing well in preseason, and in the games he played.

But, I still don't like the fact that Colbert, Jarrett and Mike Williams were all record setting receivers at USC and none of them seem that focused or determined.

Lienart seems to be a bit the same with his whining before he got injured.

I just don't like the atmosphere they are coached in at all, it does not breed good work ethic. There are going to be exceptions, as with most trends in Football. Like Penn St. running backs never being good in the NFL and Larry Johnson.

yeah, I see your point now though.

Shiver
11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Don't forget that Leinart got benched for Warner in the Ravens game because Warner knew the no-huddle offense better than he did. Being the "franchise QB" and not knowing the no-huddle offense that your team runs is fairly ridiculous. He was probably too busy hanging out at ESPN or chilling at the Manning household.

soybean
11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
What i don't understand is, if a coach sees a player being lazy, why not lock his ass up in the film room?

John Fox says he's improving and on the verge of cracking the 4 man rotation, but coaches always say stuff like that.

soybean
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
EDIT: nm ill probably get a generic answer.

geaux tigers
11-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Carolina Panthers rookie Dwayne Jarrett was at his locker Wednesday answering questions about his frustrating season when teammate Steve Smith walked by and interrupted him.

"Instead of talking to the media, why don't you go watch some film," Smith said.

Jarrett broke into a half smile and started talking again.

"Seriously," Smith said, complete with his signature glare.

http://www.wsoctv.com/sports/14476341/detail.html?rss=char&psp=sports

no love
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
The attitude of SC players just does not give off that vibe of blue collar and intensity so I think people chalk it up to work ethic (or lack thereof). But I think it's the fact that these guys are coming out over hyped because they are on National Championship teams. And to a certain extent I am sure some of these guys buy into the hype. But guys like Bush, Smith, Cody all probably have the work ethic but are expected to come in and play like they played when they wre on a team FILLED with talent.

I think the fact of the matter is Carrol just does a really good job of getting most out of his players, scheming to their strengths, covering their weaknesses and just flat out making his players look better than everyone else. Plus they play well as a team because most of the players are GOOD, but not amazing (I think their draft record is proving this every year). Look how Carrol was covering up JDB who is really a late 1st day early 2nd day pick who looked like a star before getting hurt.

Geo
11-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer takes a look at the aforementioned Smith/Jarrett locker room exchange. (http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/344913.html)

Staubach12
11-03-2007, 05:34 PM
The attitude of SC players just does not give off that vibe of blue collar and intensity so I think people chalk it up to work ethic (or lack thereof). But I think it's the fact that these guys are coming out over hyped because they are on National Championship teams. And to a certain extent I am sure some of these guys buy into the hype. But guys like Bush, Smith, Cody all probably have the work ethic but are expected to come in and play like they played when they wre on a team FILLED with talent.

I think the fact of the matter is Carrol just does a really good job of getting most out of his players, scheming to their strengths, covering their weaknesses and just flat out making his players look better than everyone else. Plus they play well as a team because most of the players are GOOD, but not amazing (I think their draft record is proving this every year). Look how Carrol was covering up JDB who is really a late 1st day early 2nd day pick who looked like a star before getting hurt.

Hey, that's absolutely not fair. Bush has been working hard ever since he got to New Orleans. Everybody was talking about Bush when he was struggling, and now, he's playing very well. He ran for 97 yards on 19 Attempts aggainst Seattle, not to mention 6 catches, and hehad a good ggame against San Fransisco, too. He's catching on, so I don't think Bush really belongs in this whole discussion.