PDA

View Full Version : My week eight opinions

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 03:00 AM
A day late but nonetheless.

Rookie Watch

James Jones

To burn and I mean TORCH a player who is considered the best cornerback in the NFL is a huge deal for this kid, and to do so on Monday night in front of the country is an even bigger milestone. James Jones is really beginning to develop as a receiver, even as a rookie and seems to have a bright future in Green bay even if he has to play second fiddle to Jennings and Driver for another few years.

Selvin Young

Another great performance from a rookie on Monday night. Young might not have hit the 100 yard mark but he still cashed in on Travis Henry’s stupidity by gaining over 120 total yards in Denver’s loss to Green bay. Playing against such an established and stout defense and looking good doing so is invaluable to the undrafted free agents resume’ and he should see more carries as the year wears on. Greenbay’s defense is susceptible to screen passes and Selvin Young was Denver’s biggest threat on the field today. His fourth quarter run was probably his most impressive of the night and helped complete Denver’s comeback. All this from an undrafted free agent rookie out of Texas.

Best Performance

Mike Vrabel

Vrabel has long since been the NFL’s most overlooked playmaker. The Brady & Receivers show in New England has thus far over shadowed his efforts and in the year’s previous playing on the same team as the NFL’s golden boy and for the greatest coach hasn’t exactly lead to him becoming famous. But, on Sunday he showed the NFL that he’s still one of the best outside linebacker in the 34 defense and still has a lot left in the tank at 32.

Vrabel isn’t getting this mention because he had pretty stats either, he was all over the field. I was personally more impressed by the simple plays he made and the plays he didn’t make than the sacks he effortlessly recorded.

The NFC South

This might be the first time in a LONG time that we’ll see the defending champs repeat as NFC South champions. Tampa Bay showed a lot of flaws on the weekend and they seemed a different team to the one winning earlier in the season. Losing running backs and veteran leaders to injury is beginning to take its toll and with a fair few tough match ups on the schedule I’ll be surprised to see them take out the crown.

The Panthers this week showed that they still can’t win at home and that David Carr is a complete and utter bust. A big change is likely coming in the offseason as fans and players seem to be growing weary at the lack of production from what is realistically a very talented roster. Questions about why DeAngelo Williams, a far superior talent to Foster is still riding pine and why Smith isn’t being thrown to are being raised, and they shouldn’t be unanswered especially since they shouldn’t have to be asked in the first place.

With a number of core players up for free agency very soon and coaches heads nearing the chopping block the Panthers could be a very different team in the near future.

Lane Kiffin

At the start of the year I mentioned Al’s hiring of Kiffin as one that I liked a lot for Oakland. In fact, I compared him to John Gruden. I still find that comparison to be accurate. The Raiders right now are playing exactly the level they should be, which is a lot more than they were doing last season. At times it is not pretty, and the personnel is still a long way away from being of a championship caliber but the team’s on the same page and seem to fight hard every week. Kudos to Kiffin for getting his team on the right track so quickly.

Coaches Losing Sleep

Marvin Lewis

It becomes clearer and clearer every week that Lewis has lost touch with the Bengals in more ways than one. I’ve always been of the opinion that when a team is on the ropes their coaches should show the most balls and try to snatch a victory or at least fire the team with enthusiasm. Instead he’s playing conservaball instead of football and condemning himself to more of the same resentment and questioning in the locker room. Lewis needs to get out of Cincinnati and take some time as a defensive coordinator again to find his groove and get back to his brand of football and out of the limelight. He did well at times in Cincinnati but it looks like the honeymoon is well and truly at an end.

Players losing sleep

Cedric Benson

It doesn’t seem to matter who he’s going up against or how well the passing game is clicking Benson will still fail to play up to his draft status. I think it’s a combination of not playing meaningful football since college and injuries that are leading to his downfall, but that’s realistically grasping at straws. Unfortunately for Chicago he’s going to be around for a while and his cap hit won’t allow the front office to admit they made a mistake drafting him so early in his career. I think, however, that anyone watching the Bears running game will tell you it’s just not the same as it was with Thomas Jones pounding the rock.

QB Thoughts

Jake Delhomme

Before the season I was one of his few defenders citing his heroics in the playoffs and winning mentality for keys to his and the Panthers success. After being struck down by an elbow injury part way through a career year the offense hasn’t looked close to what it was with him at the helm. Delhomme might have been slightly turnover prone in his career but he always got the ball to Steve Smith and always fought harder than any player on the field for a win.

Too bad he went down this year, after looking like a probowler earlier on.

Jason Campbell

Jason Campbell demonstrated to the world the last couple of weeks that he is still a long way from being a solid quarterback in the NFL. Granted he played the NFL’s best team in New England, but he made far too many simple mistakes in Washington’s loss. He still gets rattled easily, fails to the secure the ball and makes poor throws at crucial times. While I realize he’s still young and no one expected him to make the trip to Hawaii this year, I just want to point out, it’s going to be at least another season before he’s anywhere near able to win a game throwing the majority of the time.

Final Notes

Bitching about the Patriots “running up” the score is stupid and pointless. The Patriots have been slammed as I’m sure you’re all aware for scoring a few extra points while cruising to victory. My question is, who cares? Bill Parcells raised an interesting point on the Monday night show on ESPN when he pointed out that if you play back ups and lock up you’re insulting a defense just as much as if you score another few touchdowns on them.

OK, so Tom Brady might not have needed to be on the field in the fourth quarter at all, but so what? Who knows how many snaps he gets in practice, and how often Bill Belichick will run his 4th and short situations? How often does a coach get a chance to see how well his team does on fourth down, facing a good defense, without the game being on the line?

If you ask me his decision to go for it on fourth down and take advantage of the opportunity to test different formations and players against an NFL caliber defense (rather than the scout team) is a great coaching move.

If the redskins are that upset about it, they should’ve acted like men, when someone calls you out, you’re meant to stand up and deliver, not get run over. They got their asses kicked and they could’ve put a stop to the Patriots killer instinct by playing a more physical brand of defense and showing more life.

Boxers aren’t taught to carry their opponents to protect their ego, soccer teams don’t stop scoring goals and football players shouldn’t stop trying to score points. It’s the nature of the game, and more importantly, it’s not bad sportsmanship.

Thanks guys

GREENSMACKS
10-30-2007, 03:07 AM
i think campbell is being held back by gibbs offense approach which is jsut as active as his bowel movements...

if they let me take more chance, and if lloyd and moss didnt fumbled, i think campbell would develop quicker...

Caddy
10-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Tampa have been playing poorly the last few weeks and this can be blamed solely on mistakes. For a team that wants to win the division, mistakes have to be eradicated. 3 interceptions is unacceptable and fumbles during the snap is even worse. Hopefully against the Cards we will be able to change our luck this week.

d34ng3l021
10-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Augh James Jones. He was from San Jose State and SJSU is a hometown college for me so I hoped he would go to the Falcons. I had even read that we had scouted in depth too. I am surprised we took Laurent Robinson 3 picks before he went. He is good.

Geo
10-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Selvin Young

Another great performance from a rookie on Monday night. Young might not have hit the 100 yard mark but he still cashed in on Travis Henry’s stupidity by gaining over 120 total yards in Denver’s loss to Green bay. Playing against such an established and stout defense and looking good doing so is invaluable to the undrafted free agents resume’ and he should see more carries as the year wears on. Greenbay’s defense is susceptible to screen passes and Selvin Young was Denver’s biggest threat on the field today. His fourth quarter run was probably his most impressive of the night and helped complete Denver’s comeback. All this from an undrafted free agent rookie out of Texas.
1. The amount of stupidity Travis Henry has is irrelevant to the bruised ribs that kept him from playing.

2. Young's great run, something around 48 yards I believe it was, was called back due to a holding penalty. One of the many penalties on the night committed by two sloppy teams.

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 04:31 AM
I was talking about the run inside the 20, to pick up the first, not his big one but yeah, that's food for thought to.

I thought Henry was suspended, my bad, trawling through all the games and information on 32 runningbacks, defenses, coaches, QBs, WRs and everything else makes it easy to make a simple mistake.

Geo
10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Ah, the run down to the 3-yard line where he made 5 or 6 Packers defenders miss. Good call.

It's just too bad the Broncos wasted such a great effort, such an opportunity to win the game right there, 3 yards away from the endzone. They lost the game right there imo.

TitleTown088
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Augh James Jones. He was from San Jose State and SJSU is a hometown college for me so I hoped he would go to the Falcons. I had even read that we had scouted in depth too. I am surprised we took Laurent Robinson 3 picks before he went. He is good.

Surprised? Surprised? Many ripped Ted Thompson apart for the James Jones pick saying he would have been an undrafted Free agent. It was a reach according to basically everyone . A reach I'm glad he took. It's also funny that you use the word TORCH because when he was drafted his main knock was his speed too.
I think many will call me a " homer" when I say this but with the development of Jennings and Jones, I think the Packers could potentially have a top 5 WR group in the league IF Koren Robinson is able to make a difference. Jones, Jennings, Driver, and Robinson in that 4 wide receiver formation... very nice.

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I think the Packers have the makings of what could be a superbowl contender next year if not the year after providing they find themselves a good running back and learn some discipline.

Those penalties would kill in the playoffs, and you do need to be able to run the ball more consistently to take the pressure off favre, but should you get those guys, there's a definite playoff run potentially all the way behind those players.

The question is, who'll be at QB?

SeanTaylorRIP
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Just to make it clear, the Redskins not a single person in the organization complained about the Pats running the score up, that's all the media.

neko4
10-30-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the Packers have the makings of what could be a superbowl contender next year if not the year after providing they find themselves a good running back and learn some discipline.

Those penalties would kill in the playoffs, and you do need to be able to run the ball more consistently to take the pressure off favre, but should you get those guys, there's a definite playoff run potentially all the way behind those players.

Those penalties need to stop. We have such talent in the secondary, but even our corners make stupid penalties. I also hope this game rose Grant's confidence and we can make use of him in draws.

Also if Denver had an Oline then Selvin wouldve had a great game. The guy did great once he got past the line, but we stopped him in the backfield a ton of times it seemed.

PACKmanN
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/dr_z/04/26/z.draft.grades/p1_rodgers_draft2.jpg
A-Rod.

BlindSite
10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Just to make it clear, the Redskins not a single person in the organization complained about the Pats running the score up, that's all the media.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/28/randall-godfrey-to-bill-belichick-you-gotta-show-some-class-s/

Randall Godfrey wasn't happy.

Oh and I know that Rogers is in line to start, my meaning was, who knows if Favre will retire at the end of this season.

CC.SD
10-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Godfrey blew his top pretty spectacularly, too.

TitleTown088
10-31-2007, 02:59 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/dr_z/04/26/z.draft.grades/p1_rodgers_draft2.jpg
A-Rod.

Favre will be back...

As for " no one in the redskins organization caring about the score being ran up". How do you know Ghetto? Did Dan Synder phone you to fill you in? I'm pretty sure some didn't appreciate it.

GREENSMACKS
10-31-2007, 03:10 AM
Godfrey blew his top pretty spectacularly, too.

its his fault, not like he was playing such great defense to do anything to stop them

on another note, i think cutler is going to be a top 5 qb. he makes some wicked throws

Green Bay Scat
10-31-2007, 03:55 AM
The reason their were so many penalties were called was cause they were down a ref, and were out of place sometimes, but thats just my opinion

Jughead10
10-31-2007, 08:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Godfrey approached Bill and told him he was classless for running up the score.

Nevermind, I didn't see everyone already mentioned this.

ripdw27
10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
i agree 100% on your rookie watch, i saw james jones play in preseason and had a feeling we would be talking about him later. but you have to admit, had that play not gone for a touchdown, hardly anyone would make a big deal out of it. Selvin Young is a beast, if Travis Henry does get the 1 yr suspension it doesnt bother me after seeing Young start. also keep in mind how many lineman we were missing, jeez one of our guards was so stupid he caused a fumble on the ONE YARD LINE.

wiscbadgerfootball
10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
James Jones is a beast. Selvin Young played well too, I'm glad I picked him up on my fantasy team.

ripdw27
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
James Jones is a beast. Selvin Young played well too, I'm glad I picked him up on my fantasy team.

yeah i picked young up literally like 10 mins before kickoff. james jones is a beast, i dont think he will ever be elite but he will rise to where donald driver is. the pack are gonna be solid at wideout for the next few years.

GB12
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
i agree 100% on your rookie watch, i saw james jones play in preseason and had a feeling we would be talking about him later. but you have to admit, had that play not gone for a touchdown, hardly anyone would make a big deal out of it. Selvin Young is a beast, if Travis Henry does get the 1 yr suspension it doesnt bother me after seeing Young start. also keep in mind how many lineman we were missing, jeez one of our guards was so stupid he caused a fumble on the ONE YARD LINE.
The run after the catch is what was so great about it. Favre placed that one perfectly, he's expected to make that catch. I didn't think there was anyway he'd make it all the way to the endzone, but he did taking it to the opposite side of the field while doing it.

Calling him stupid does not make sense to me. He was pulling and he had to make it quick especially that close to the goaline. I don't like how people are putting all the blame on him. It was a mistake that shouldn't have happened, but it's not really his fault or Cutlers fault. I guess the blame has to go somewhere though and I'd give it to the coaches then. Calling that play whatever it was makes no sense in that situation. If it was a pass I'm really confused because they pulled the guard to the opposite side. If it was a run you just down block. I don't know why you would ever pull there.

BlindSite
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Personally I blame the centre for not changing the blocking assignment or for not using the code word for "CALL A ******* TIME OUT BEFORE WE GET DESTROYED"

Xenos
10-31-2007, 09:26 PM

Randall Godfrey did. He even went on the San Diego local sports radio show (XX 1090)and talked about it.