PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone see a little bit of David Pollack in Chris Long?

Matthew Jones
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I know in terms of playing ability Long is a bit closer to an Aaron Smith or so, but in terms of the mentality and such that each player has, do you guys think David Pollack is a decent comparison for Chris Long? I was a huge Pollack fan as he was coming out and I think Long has that special something I liked about Pollack as well.

themaninblack
10-30-2007, 07:02 PM
yes i can see that and im a huge pollack fan.

Cashmoney
10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I hate how white players are always compared to white players no matter how different they are. Just like everytime an anouncer talks about a white receiver they always have to be compared to ed mccafrey.

Solomon
10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Yep, they're both intense, hard working, team leaders with smarts and character.

In terms of ability, I would say that while Pollack is quicker ad more agile, Long has longer arms and the ability to stuff the run at the next level.

toonsterwu
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Sure, I see a little similarity. I think Pollack's a bit quicker (I think, straight line speed, they are probably about the same ... Pollack ran in the 4.7's if I remember) while Long is the better run guy and comparatively better suited to stay at end. It's not a comparison that I've seen much, but I still think that Long reminds me of what Ogunleye eventually became. That said, there's some other comps that work.

Mr. Stiller
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Sure, I see a little similarity. I think Pollack's a bit quicker (I think, straight line speed, they are probably about the same ... Pollack ran in the 4.7's if I remember) while Long is the better run guy and comparatively better suited to stay at end. It's not a comparison that I've seen much, but I still think that Long reminds me of what Ogunleye eventually became. That said, there's some other comps that work.

Toon,

Long's spring best was a 4.77
6'4 270ish

Pollack ran a 4.75 at the combine
6'2 265

bearsfan_51
10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I hate how white players are always compared to white players no matter how different they are. Just like everytime an anouncer talks about a white receiver they always have to be compared to ed mccafrey.

Same for black quarterbacks.

D-Unit
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
It's not always.... but it makes perfect sense to me why they should.

The comparison might be fair... but Pollack got injured and they moved him to LB. If they do that with Long, you can expect failure.

Long btw, is much more of a technician. The hustle and skin color is the only similar things I see.

A Perfect Score
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I dont see that comparison. However i do see justin smith. They are very similar players to me, strong against teh run with pass rush ability as well. Long has the ability to go #4 overall as well, although that might be high. But you heard it here first

Chris Long=Justin Smith

Turtlepower
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Same for black quarterbacks.

Like how everyone wants to compare Andre Woodson and Donavan McNabb because they are both black, QBs, and are not known scramblers.

sodar21
10-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Like how everyone wants to compare Andre Woodson and Donavan McNabb because they are both black, QBs, and are not known scramblers.

McNabb is fairly mobile but has lost several steps over the course of his career due to injuries. Guy was a true dual threat back at Syracuse and earlier at Philly.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:11 PM

McNabb was a scrambler before the injuries started piling up.

bearsfan_51
10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
I dont see that comparison. However i do see justin smith. They are very similar players to me, strong against teh run with pass rush ability as well. Long has the ability to go #4 overall as well, although that might be high. But you heard it here first

Chris Long=Justin SmithHow about Kyle Vanden Bosch? Or maybe Aaron Schobel? No I bet it's Aaron Kampman.

Unbiased
10-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Not really. I think Chris Long has the potential to be a Richard Seymour type of player.

A Perfect Score
10-30-2007, 11:35 PM
How about Kyle Vanden Bosch? Or maybe Aaron Schobel? No I bet it's Aaron Kampman.

Mmm i could buy Vanden Bosch and Kampman, but not schobel. Schobel is a pass rusher, whereas long is more complete.

And i know you were being sarcastic.

Moses
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Not really. I think Chris Long has the potential to be a Richard Seymour type of player.

I don't think he has near that type of physical ability.

It's hard for me to make a comparison until I see his actual triangle numbers.

Dolfan2788
10-31-2007, 02:24 AM

It's just not a good comparison.

Seymour can be anywhere from 295-310 throughout the season. Long looks like he is around 260-280.

You can't compare guys if there is potentially a 40 pound difference at a position where weight does mean a lot.

Unbiased
10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
It's just not a good comparison.

Seymour can be anywhere from 295-310 throughout the season. Long looks like he is around 260-280.

You can't compare guys if there is potentially a 40 pound difference at a position where weight does mean a lot.

Obviously, Chris Long is incapable of gaining any weight over the offseason.

Unbiased
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM

How would triangle numbers help you at all? Making a comparison is about how two players play the game of football. Triangle numbers tell you nothing of how a player plays the game.

Moses
10-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Obviously, Chris Long is incapable of gaining any weight over the offseason.

Gaining somewhere between 30 and 50 pounds seems unlikely to say the least.

How would triangle numbers help you at all? Making a comparison is about how two players play the game of football. Triangle numbers tell you nothing of how a player plays the game.

Why do you think triangle numbers exist? Chris Long is going into the NFL, where physical attributes have a large bearing on what you are capable of. If Chris Long weighs in at 260 pounds, I would wager he would have a tough time playing in the 3-4. You also need to get a close look at their body composition to see what type of role they would excel in.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-31-2007, 03:28 PM
He will weigh in around 272, lock it down right now.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Nope, impossible.

A Perfect Score
10-31-2007, 05:09 PM

care to elaborate? they really arent similar players at all...not even on the collegiate level, where seymour played primarily DT...he didnt even more to end until the pros...if you are going to make a point then by all means, but to make a statement like that and then not explain leaves your comment up for alot of critisism. Just a suggestion.

Unbiased
10-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Gaining somewhere between 30 and 50 pounds seems unlikely to say the least.

Why do you think triangle numbers exist? Chris Long is going into the NFL, where physical attributes have a large bearing on what you are capable of. If Chris Long weighs in at 260 pounds, I would wager he would have a tough time playing in the 3-4. You also need to get a close look at their body composition to see what type of role they would excel in.

Triangle numbers exist so people like you can judge players based off numbers instead of actually watching them play.

PACKmanN
10-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I see more of an Aaron Kampman in him, he never gives up in every play and plays a lot like him.

Unbiased
10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
care to elaborate? they really arent similar players at all...not even on the collegiate level, where seymour played primarily DT...he didnt even more to end until the pros...if you are going to make a point then by all means, but to make a statement like that and then not explain leaves your comment up for alot of critisism. Just a suggestion.

They both play defensive end and get to the quarterback at will. If Long keeps it up at the next level, he can turn into that kind of a player.

A Perfect Score
11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
They both play defensive end and get to the quarterback at will. If Long keeps it up at the next level, he can turn into that kind of a player.

again, you fail to explain adequately...you can say that about a ton of players, "they play DE and get to teh quarterback at will". Does that mean chris long resembles dwight freeneey too? or mario williams? or julius peppers? come on man, think about it that comparison makes no sense at all, and your reasoning is even worse.

Crow
11-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Surprising that, with all the wild comparisons being made, no one has asked "Does Chris remind anyone of Howie?"

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
DeMonte Bolden is the next Richard Seymour.

DChess
11-03-2007, 08:43 PM
they are both white?

HoopsDemon12
11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Surprising that, with all the wild comparisons being made, no one has asked "Does Chris remind anyone of Howie?"

i think its way to hard to compare players form differnet time periods anyway.. regardless of whethere they are related or not...

Howies other son though is a 5 star offensive lineman this year i belive